[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

I think I have some of the worst luck with getting responses of any kind on this forum, at least a response with 4-5 hours. There have to be people looking through the forums that just did not take the time to toss out their advice. Sorry it is just frustrating as hell as I do not enjoy the VGA connection on my FX 5500 with no hardware acceleration at the moment. I certainly hope someone can chime in tonight.

I think I have some of the worst luck with getting responses of any kind on this forum, at least a response with 4-5 hours. There have to be people looking through the forums that just did not take the time to toss out their advice. Sorry it is just frustrating as hell as I do not enjoy the VGA connection on my FX 5500 with no hardware acceleration at the moment. I certainly hope someone can chime in tonight.

Look...if you had done some reading, you would have found that only about 2 people have ever gotten DVI to work and it was on a ASUS X1600XT Silent card. The only way DVI has worked on other x1600 cards is with an adapter to make it VGA.

If you buy the card and get it to work as DVI, then you would enjoy an elite position.

Look...if you had done some reading, you would have found that only about 2 people have ever gotten DVI to work and it was on a ASUS X1600XT Silent card. The only way DVI has worked on other x1600 cards is with an adapter to make it VGA.

If you buy the card and get it to work as DVI, then you would enjoy an elite position.

Thanks for the polite response. I am glad you assumed what I had done, it shows a lot of maturity. Anyway, I had not read ONE single example of someone using a dual dvi card with osx86. If you can show me an example of someone who has used any of the x1600Pro cards with only DVI out, I would love to read it. There is no reason to believe that since x1600 cards work through their default output, that a x1600 card with only DVI out will not put out through DVI. Seems like basic logic to me, that is why I posted. I certainly did not expect to get presumptuous responses , but instead helpful and informative. If you just want to be an absolute {censored} and are unable to read 8 posts up then I suppose it is your prerogative. Please do not respond again if you are going to be a total cocksucker about it. Thanks!

Thanks for the polite response. I am glad you assumed what I had done, it shows a lot of maturity. Anyway, I had not read ONE single example of someone using a dual dvi card with osx86. If you can show me an example of someone who has used any of the x1600Pro cards with only DVI out, I would love to read it. There is no reason to believe that since x1600 cards work through their default output, that a x1600 card with only DVI out will not put out through DVI. Seems like basic logic to me, that is why I posted. I certainly did not expect to get presumptuous responses , but instead helpful and informative. If you just want to be an absolute {censored} and are unable to read 8 posts up then I suppose it is your prerogative. Please do not respond again if you are going to be a total cocksucker about it. Thanks!

To be fair i dont think rammjet was being a total 'cocksucker' but anyways read the other boris thread Here Aberacus, i think you spell it like that, was the first to get native dvi out. Others followed by buying the same card, the asus silent version. Two others then got it working on a different card. They are the only people to get it working. I think someone else just got it working aswell, but ive havent got a lot of pc access at the moment. Basically if you get yours working you have been blessed. Remember the search button is your friend along with google :D

Basically whether you get dvi or not, it will certainly be an improvement over your geforce fx card :D

To be fair i dont think rammjet was being a total 'cocksucker' but anyways read the other boris thread Here Aberacus, i think you spell it like that, was the first to get native dvi out. Others followed by buying the same card, the asus silent version. Two others then got it working on a different card. They are the only people to get it working. I think someone else just got it working aswell, but ive havent got a lot of pc access at the moment. Basically if you get yours working you have been blessed. Remember the search button is your friend along with google :D

Basically whether you get dvi or not, it will certainly be an improvement over your geforce fx card :D

Ok now... this is what Rammjet ment! You just need to read. There are so many topics about this... And I also want to be fair so here is one of the ?2? people... Just continue reading!

And: NO, the X1400 is NOT working with the driver! The driver just works with X1600 X1800 and X1900!

If you just want to be an absolute {censored} and are unable to read 8 posts up then I suppose it is your prerogative. Please do not respond again if you are going to be a total cocksucker about it. Thanks!

LOL

Success! Thanks Boris!

MSI RX1600PRO-TD256E DVI digital out to Dell FPW2007

All this time I was running 10.4.5 quite well with onboard GMA950 and this week I decided to try the Borisbadenov Method with an X1600 Pro. I bought the MSI RX1600PRO-TD256E.

I did a fresh install from JaS 10.4.6 DVD + PPF1 patch. Then the manual Boris method and rebooted. Voila! 1680x1050 goodness from DVI(digital) to my Dell 2007.

Strangely enough, analog via either VGA port or DVI with adaptor doesn't seem to work.

mir...

Us X1600 PRO AGP 512mb users still only have 256mb

I'm using the boris method but I installed it with the 3.2 version installer that works with 10.4.7 thanks to Neopheus site

To be fair i dont think rammjet was being a total 'cocksucker' but anyways read the other boris thread Here Aberacus, i think you spell it like that, was the first to get native dvi out. Others followed by buying the same card, the asus silent version. Two others then got it working on a different card. They are the only people to get it working. I think someone else just got it working aswell, but ive havent got a lot of pc access at the moment. Basically if you get yours working you have been blessed. Remember the search button is your friend along with google ;)

Basically whether you get dvi or not, it will certainly be an improvement over your geforce fx card :)

I have read all of these posts already. I am really not sure everyone has read through my posts to realize that I have done quite a bit of research before posting. The card I want to get is the x1600 that has two DVI out and zero VGA out. Therefore the card can only put out images through DVI, so if DVI did not work, the card would not work at all. Does this make sense? I think it is a much more unique case than people randomly getting DVI to work on a card with both DVI and VGA. That is why I posted, I certainly have spent over 4 hours reading up on all of different users experiences with the varying X1600 cards (none of which have had 2 DVI out and 0 VGA out.) I hope someone understands what I am trying to get across.

I have read all of these posts already. I am really not sure everyone has read through my posts to realize that I have done quite a bit of research before posting. The card I want to get is the x1600 that has two DVI out and zero VGA out. Therefore the card can only put out images through DVI, so if DVI did not work, the card would not work at all. Does this make sense? I think it is a much more unique case than people randomly getting DVI to work on a card with both DVI and VGA. That is why I posted, I certainly have spent over 4 hours reading up on all of different users experiences with the varying X1600 cards (none of which have had 2 DVI out and 0 VGA out.) I hope someone understands what I am trying to get across.

Yep, i read your posts! You can try it and if it doesn't work you can send it back... Please give us a feedback for this!

cYa

i tried on 10.4.6 and 10.4.7

neo installer works and the drivers will be installed correctly but the opengl framework doesnt work completly.

final cut and imagetricks have some graphic erros with that framework.

i have a ati x 1600

from which version u used the drivers and the frameworks?

i have another installtion routine which includ the kext from 10.4.5 and also the opengl framework, it works quite well with all features.

for users which have also an x1600 they can try the installer from me. (It works on 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 without replace pcifamily.kext

www.electrixx.de/atix1600for1047.zip

Just wanted to let everybody know, I read all 15 pages of this thread, and decided to give the Neo installer a try. Happy day! It works well! For the record, I have a Dell OptiPlex 620 with a built in Intel GMA 950. Before even realizing this thread existed, I had ordered a MSI X1600 PRO-TD256E as that was what boris orginally confirmed had worked with the boris method. I might have went with a Sapphire X1800 knowing that there has been much success with the Neo installer, but nonetheless, I am happy this is all working. Here's a chronological list for how I got here:

Installed JaS 10.4.6 DVD with PPF patch

Selected Intel 1.4.6 update, Intel SSE2, and Intel GMA 950 (didn't have the ATI card yet)

Upgraded to JaS 10.4.7

Installed MSI X1600 card

Applied Neo installer

Set resolution to 1280x1024 @ 75 Hz (on ViewSonic VA902b LCD monitor)

Tada! All seems well, I am posting this immediately after installation, so far so good.

phusion, does your MSI X1600 PRO-TD256E work with VGA or DVI with VGA adaptor? In other words, does analog output work?

mir...

I also got MSI x1600 Pro both VGA and DVI works but not at the same time. I'm using 10.4.5 kext with Boris method.

Just bought a X1800GTO based on the R520 and I wanted to say it's fully supported using the 10.4.5 kexts and 10.4.5 OpenGL framework, following the method explained here :)

Arcanis, can you confirm X1800GTO fully working (Quartz+Core+OpenGL+Res/freq Change). Another question: are you using VGA or DVI? Im planning to buy a SAPPHIRE x1800GTO but this card have only 2 DVI outs (but comes with a DVI2VGA dongle).

Thx

Put the card in, ran the installer, all went fine. I am very pleased, except DVD playback. DVD Player in OSX plays but stutters very badly. I can get VLC player to work but on movies like Shrek 2 and Narnia, it takes like 30 seconds before the menu shows up. In full screen it looks fine, but not as clear as it should be, kind of blurry. I am searching the forums, but other have this issue?

Arcanis, can you confirm X1800GTO fully working (Quartz+Core+OpenGL+Res/freq Change). Another question: are you using VGA or DVI? Im planning to buy a SAPPHIRE x1800GTO but this card have only 2 DVI outs (but comes with a DVI2VGA dongle).

Thx

It's fully supported (QE,Q2DE,CI,Rotation,res/freq change). I bought the Connect3D one, but I guess if it's based on the R520 it shouldn't have problems.

And I'm just using a DVI to VGA adapter, it works without problems. Don't know if the DVI output works with a digital monitor, though. Can't test dual monitor also, but i think it doesn't work.

I have always had a two DVI ports card. Now I had the chance to try with a monitor with DVI in and it doesn't work. (I have the powercolor x1800gto) If I use the port that I used for the analog VGA out I get a completeley red output, the other port are not able to start at all (display goes blank).

The feeling is that the drivers are not able to configure the card, and only works in the default mode the card is in after a reboot.

Ok I have searched around the forums, so is VLC the main/only option for dvd playback? Fine with me just I don't understand the version I got (latest intel build) sits there for a while loading some dvds. Please some info on this so I don't go crazy since I everything else working. Thanks.

I have always had a two DVI ports card. Now I had the chance to try with a monitor with DVI in and it doesn't work. (I have the powercolor x1800gto) If I use the port that I used for the analog VGA out I get a completeley red output, the other port are not able to start at all (display goes blank).

The feeling is that the drivers are not able to configure the card, and only works in the default mode the card is in after a reboot.

What make model and AGP/PCI-e interface are you using?

Ok I have searched around the forums, so is VLC the main/only option for dvd playback? Fine with me just I don't understand the version I got (latest intel build) sits there for a while loading some dvds. Please some info on this so I don't go crazy since I everything else working. Thanks.

Sounds like an SSE3 emulation problem to me. if you are using the maxxuss sse2 patch then the stuttering is an issue with your cpu and not your graphics. the sse3 instructions were created to help processors out with media encoding/decoding and explain why the p4 prescotts beat out the better designed northwoods in most encoding benchmarks despite their ridiculously long pipeline. thus any video playback will be sse3 heavy and require a lot of overhead for emulation and could easily slow down a 2.2ghz p4 to a crawl.