[HowTo] X1600/X1800 Full Support (Borisbadenov Method)

munky

710 posts in this topic

I bought my X1800GTO for gaming in Windows and I'm starting to miss my old Athlon 64 3200+ lol, my Pentium D 805 only gets 4600 cpu score in 3dmark05 while my overclocked Athlon 64 got 5800 :/, and Lineage 2 feels very CPU limited.

Will need to buy some new motherboard for overclock, but I would like to see if anyone had sucess with 965P mobos out there. Or I'll need to spend more in a 975X that has ICH7 southbridge and it's known for working.

Yep, i read your posts! You can try it and if it doesn't work you can send it back... Please give us a feedback for this!

cYa

Don't forget, even if it does work (Dual-DVI out), there is no guarantee that QE/CI will.

Don't forget, even if it does work (Dual-DVI out), there is no guarantee that QE/CI will.

It seems as if every AGP x1600 card has had QE/CI supported, but DVI has been the missing link. I will install the card this Tuesday. I have a GeForce card with MacVidia drivers, how can I properly uninstall so that the X1600 install will go smoothly?

Thanks

I have read all of these posts already. I am really not sure everyone has read through my posts to realize that I have done quite a bit of research before posting. The card I want to get is the x1600 that has two DVI out and zero VGA out. Therefore the card can only put out images through DVI, so if DVI did not work, the card would not work at all. Does this make sense? I think it is a much more unique case than people randomly getting DVI to work on a card with both DVI and VGA. That is why I posted, I certainly have spent over 4 hours reading up on all of different users experiences with the varying X1600 cards (none of which have had 2 DVI out and 0 VGA out.) I hope someone understands what I am trying to get across.

My card only has two dvi outs... use a dvi to vga converter. Most people use these as less and less cards today have both vga and dvi out, most as the card you are looking at have only dvi. The card should come with at least one of these converters.

Sounds like an SSE3 emulation problem to me. if you are using the maxxuss sse2 patch then the stuttering is an issue with your cpu and not your graphics. the sse3 instructions were created to help processors out with media encoding/decoding and explain why the p4 prescotts beat out the better designed northwoods in most encoding benchmarks despite their ridiculously long pipeline. thus any video playback will be sse3 heavy and require a lot of overhead for emulation and could easily slow down a 2.2ghz p4 to a crawl.

Ok, it is an SSE3 thing. I have read about a custom version of VLC player, will that help?

Ok, it is an SSE3 thing. I have read about a custom version of VLC player, will that help?

But you're using your 6800GT or a X1600 Pro?

If the first, video goes slow because you're on VESA mode.

If the second, yeah, could be either the AGP drivers or the SSE2 patch.

VLC 0.85 Intel version should work fine though ;)

It seems as if every AGP x1600 card has had QE/CI supported, but DVI has been the missing link. I will install the card this Tuesday. I have a GeForce card with MacVidia drivers, how can I properly uninstall so that the X1600 install will go smoothly?

Thanks

this is somewhat true. i have an asus eax1600xt, and with boris's method, i lose QE/CI but if i don't apply it, QE/CI will work but at 1024x768. my DVI though, works out of the box - just hooked it up, switched the monitor to 'digital' mode, and even installed the OS with DVI.

now i just wished i could figure out how to get boris's method working WITH QE/CI enabled. ;) i know it sounds strange but the card that's suppose to be supported fully, isn't totally working for me.

I have a PCIe Sapphire x1600xt and once I applied the (manual) boris patch, I have been able to switch resolutions natively. To my knowledge most x1600 owners can. I am surprised that you apparently cannot.

The ASUS X1600XT Silent as listed here and in the wiki has been "the" card to get for full QE/CI, res change, rotation, DVI out & sleep support but it seems recently many ppl are having problems with this card. I was thinking, perhaps it's a later revision of the card that's giving the problem. Perhaps a VGA BIOS flash, if at all possible, to an earlier version may solve this.

I suggest that the first post in this Howto be amended to remove the reference to the Asus as the card to get. I actually went to buy the ASUS X1600XT Silent based on this Howto but it was not available at my local PC shop so I ended up with a MSI x1600Pro instead, which, luckily works fine with QE/CI, res change & DVI out.

mir...

yeah, i'm fearful that the BIOS flash is my last option. but yet its weird that i can get QE/CI working without the 'method'. i figured now that there's something we're all missing in his method that, once figured out, will enable this stuff and we'll be good to go.

i need to reiterate though...i have everything working except QE/CI. that's all i'm missing.

Back on topic: After repairing permissions on the 10.4.6 kexts, I tried booting up switched to my monitor's DVI mode and I got a brief flash of blue and a glimpse of the login screen before it went black. Since I have both VGA and DVI connections to my monitor and video card simulatenously (which I don't recommend), it might have detected the VGA connection and made it default. I'm going to fiddle around more with different connection configurations and see what happens.

Takuro, I am starting to get into this. I have some issues with the current Boris hack to getting ATI working. I don't think the hack is the right approach to getting DVI output working.

I am currently using the ATI Sapphire x1600xt

Things I know are:

DVI DOES work if the Boris hack is not applied. If you only have the DVI connector plugged in, the OS detects the DVI port for outputting Video to on a fresh restart. This, obviously, indicates that DVI output is possible and not a fault of the GFX Card Bios or set-up. It is simply how OS X is detecting the Hardware. If the boris patch is not applied the operating system "detects the card" (with DVI output) as a generic graphics card. It also only detect the video display as generic. These are key issues.

So basically the hardware is being detected but no kext is being loaded to that hardware to tell the OS what it is.

There is something about the boris method that is breaking that Hardware Detection for DVI output.

I am just getting started here, but I think we need to do a slightly different approach...

But you're using your 6800GT or a X1600 Pro?

If the first, video goes slow because you're on VESA mode.

If the second, yeah, could be either the AGP drivers or the SSE2 patch.

VLC 0.85 Intel version should work fine though :)

Sorry I haven't changed my sig. I do have a Sapphire X1600 AGP 256 and I do have .85. When I start a dvd, dual layer, it takes a bit then the dvd starts. The video is ok, but blurry. I mean it works, but it is slow. I just check dvds when I copy them and watch stuff here and there. I watch dvds on my widescreen HDTV. I mean I would just like VLC to work better.

The ASUS X1600XT Silent as listed here and in the wiki has been "the" card to get for full QE/CI, res change, rotation, DVI out & sleep support but it seems recently many ppl are having problems with this card. I was thinking, perhaps it's a later revision of the card that's giving the problem....

I suggest that the first post in this Howto be amended to remove the reference to the Asus as the card to get. I actually went to buy the ASUS X1600XT Silent based on this Howto but it...

I second this - I bought this card based on advice given here and it just doesn't work with the installer v3.2 and the manual method at the beginning of this thread. Please change the first post to reflect this!

:blink: Rather odd that your dvd playback doesn't work. We have the same card and mine works fine (the apple dvd player) no delay, no nothing.

You have a higher Pentium 4 than I do. You have SSE3. I am not pissed at the results, as long I can get a dvd player that works and not sit there for 30 seconds or more to load a dvd. I just use dvd on the pc for checking copies, viewing stuff here and there. DVD playback is on my HDTV.