[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

does chameleon RC2 pkg works out of box with my extra folder where my extention.mkext is inside? do i have to remove any kext from it before using chameleon RC2. When yes of course i will pack a new extensions.mkext.

thx you

ReLaXXeR

P.S.: I love this forum ;-)

I just want to report that I installed it in a USB Stick with a copy 10.5.6 Retail Media and it booted it succesfully only by adding Disabler.kext (for IntelCPUPMManagement) and AppleDecrypt.kext. I didnt test installing it yet (need to mod Retail Media to install on MBR first).

Also I want to report that when moving cursor over available partition icons in chameleon I see some text being drawn over chameleon menu saying something like "Magic failed: NTFS..." (couldnt see it well as the text just blinks over the bitmap for a split second.

And one question: the "Graphics Mode" flag affects only the booted system or also the chameleon menu?

I have a dual core2 intel at 1,66 mhz. After installing this boot loader Leopard display my cpu freq. at 1,03 mhz.

I didn't notice any decrease in performance though. Anyway.. i've put the old darwin back.

I 'installed' using the official files from the chameleon site and get the blinking cursor immediately after my BIOS screen without ever seeing the chameleon GUI. I reset my Windows 7 boot partition back to active so no permanent damage done to my boot setup but I'd like to get chameleon working and be able to boot OSX again. A little help please.

Hello all, finally i found out for me how to boot Vista/XP from seperate Harddrive with Chameleon 2.0 bootloader (i didn't remember :thumbsup_anim: what i did on my computer that Vista booted fine, so i tried the same procedure on a friend's pc with EP-DS4, 3 hdds with Mac OS X, Vista, and a save Mac OS X drive).

First Vista won't start (blinking cursor, boot error, etc), so i booted to Vista with BIOS boot option F12. Then i installed EasyBCD and saved allmost everything to the Vista bootloader without changing anything. Then i rebooted and choose to boot to Vista harddrive in the Chameleon bootloader and hooooray Vista booted :P I think EasyBCD did exactly that what i needed.

Okay, so I have a leopard HD with three different OS partitions, and a windows hard drive...

I wrote the bootloader to the leopard drive, but then it couldn't boot the windows partition...

I read that you were supposed to make a HFS partition and install the bootloader on the windows drive, so I did that... now I can boot all 3 Leopards and XP perfectly...

Only problem is, now it's booting up with the default drive as one that doesn't have a leopard OS... and there's no com.apple.Boot.plist on this drive to edit!

Please help me...

I am fairly new here, just a few days, and I am amazed what is all posable. Great work.

Got retail OSX 10.5.6 working. Some issues however, have to be solved [f.e ref: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1147677].

For my understanding, I have some questions about Chameleon and its working.

My situation, maybe familiar, maybe not.

On Partition1 [chameleon] I have chameleon with the default and extra modified kexts

On partition2 [chimera] I have my vanilla OSX 10.5.6.

and more Partitions...

Do I understands it well that the kexts from chameleon as-long that the version of a kext is equal or greater the the kext from the vanilla install the chameleon kext will be used?

What if there is a device ID (inside plist) is available in a chameleon x.kext and also inside another vanilla y.kext? Is there a kind of exchange happening?

When I change something in Chameleon/extra/extensions, do I have to delete the extension.mkext from the vanilla osx? I got the impression that extensions.mkex overrules the kexts from chameleon. Isn't it read as one kext chunk replacing the whole thing?

Thanks in advance for any help

LA

Hi people, here is where i am:

I'm having the blinking cursor :rolleyes: when i try to boot vista from chameleon 2 and

I have:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0

1: 9.8 Gi disk0s1

2: DOS_FAT_16 44.0 Gi disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS mac 19.5 Gi disk0s3

4: Windows_NTFS Ultimatte 44.9 Gi disk0s5

5: Linux 13.6 Gi disk0s6

6: Apple_HFS test 16.5 Gi disk0s7

7: Linux_Swap 745.2 Mi disk0s8

So with the installer i have installed chameleon in hd0,3 However i had before easybcd to came from vista bootloader to chose OSX. So i can go from there to chameleon, but with chameleon i can boot only my OSX partitions and linux, non vista.

Hd0,1 is the default vista partition and by the way it's also the boot partition

Hd0,5 is vista ultimate

I will love to properly boot everything from chameleon with no need of reinstallation.

I can't neither change ther default boot partition or the chameleon theme. Even if i change the default file in Extra/Themes

This is my Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

I just checked and i had another Boot.plist in L/P/SC that i've changed as i've been told in chameleon forum but it has no changes at all.

I've been told something about the EFI partition but i don't know if i have to make a whole new instal and doing so erase the MBR, i will like to avoid that. I don't know if that's what you have donne JustinAiken

I read that you were supposed to make a HFS partition and install the bootloader on the windows drive, so I did that... now I can boot all 3 Leopards and XP perfectly...

But can you explain me how you do this, and if someone else have any ideas it will be so kind to let me know. Sorry if my questions seen to noob, i've tried to find by myself but i am a little lost. Thanks guys.

Guys did you notice that Chameleon 2 has hardencoded MacbookPro4,1 values when i have AppleSMBios patched for MacbookPro2,1 with com.apple.Boot.plist and AppleSMBios.kext

when i'm running on ver 1.11 with SMBIOS override option i got everything as it should be but when i switch to ver 2 i got MacbookPro4,1 in Profiler .. where this comes from ?

does chameleon RC2 pkg works out of box with my extra folder where my extention.mkext is inside? do i have to remove any kext from it before using chameleon RC2. When yes of course i will pack a new extensions.mkext.

thx you

ReLaXXeR

P.S.: I love this forum ;-)

The mkext cannot be used alongside the kext folder. You can have them both, though one is used/loaded. I am not completely sure, though I thought that the kext folder was used if you have both (was trial and error for me back then).

I 'installed' using the official files from the chameleon site and get the blinking cursor immediately after my BIOS screen without ever seeing the chameleon GUI. I reset my Windows 7 boot partition back to active so no permanent damage done to my boot setup but I'd like to get chameleon working and be able to boot OSX again. A little help please.

I do not have a similair setup, though it sounds like the blinking cursor issue is caused by windows. What happens if you set the bootflag to the chameleon bootloader?

I am fairly new here, just a few days, and I am amazed what is all posable. Great work.

Got retail OSX 10.5.6 working. Some issues however, have to be solved [f.e ref: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1147677].

For my understanding, I have some questions about Chameleon and its working.

My situation, maybe familiar, maybe not.

On Partition1 [chameleon] I have chameleon with the default and extra modified kexts

On partition2 [chimera] I have my vanilla OSX 10.5.6.

and more Partitions...

Do I understands it well that the kexts from chameleon as-long that the version of a kext is equal or greater the the kext from the vanilla install the chameleon kext will be used?

What if there is a device ID (inside plist) is available in a chameleon x.kext and also inside another vanilla y.kext? Is there a kind of exchange happening?

When I change something in Chameleon/extra/extensions, do I have to delete the extension.mkext from the vanilla osx? I got the impression that extensions.mkex overrules the kexts from chameleon. Isn't it read as one kext chunk replacing the whole thing?

Thanks in advance for any help

LA

If a kext in the chameleon kext folder has a lower version number it will not be loaded, instead the vanilla one is loaded

There is no exchange happening, it is one or the other, with on expection. There is something call a 'plist only kext'. Where the kext in the chameleon bootloader only contains a plist file. What happens is the plist file is loaded and for the rest the contents of the vanilla kext is loaded. Haven't tried this myself yet, but is reported to work.

Delete extensions.mkext? As far as I know you do not have to do that. However, I always load with the bootflag -f after chaning something in the chameleon bootlaoder.

Guys did you notice that Chameleon 2 has hardencoded MacbookPro4,1 values when i have AppleSMBios patched for MacbookPro2,1 with com.apple.Boot.plist and AppleSMBios.kext

when i'm running on ver 1.11 with SMBIOS override option i got everything as it should be but when i switch to ver 2 i got MacbookPro4,1 in Profiler .. where this comes from ?

Not sure, I have smbios.plist with MacPro3,1 and is reported as MacPro3,1?

The mkext cannot be used alongside the kext folder. You can have them both, though one is used/loaded. I am not completely sure, though I thought that the kext folder was used if you have both (was trial and error for me back then).

<snip>

My experience has shown this to be absolutely correct.

I originally had the boot cache (mkext) file and kept the kexts in Extra/Extensions. This was unpredictable, particularly for the System.kext, as it didn't load completely for USB-hotplugging, Bluetooth, etc.

After renaming the hardwired "Extensions" folder to "Stored_Kexts" (or, anything other than "Extensions"), all these issues went away. I also found that just deleting the kexts in Extensions after creating the mkext would work, as well. But, I opted for the changed folder name to manage the kexts in the folder.

The way I have the script setup now is to repair permissions (755, root/wheel) to the kexts in "Stored_Kexts" prior creating the boot cache. After that's done, change the permissions to 777, so the user can add/delete kexts at will. Works like a charm.

regards,

MAJ

If a kext in the chameleon kext folder has a lower version number it will not be loaded, instead the vanilla one is loaded

There is no exchange happening, it is one or the other, with on expection. There is something call a 'plist only kext'. Where the kext in the chameleon bootloader only contains a plist file. What happens is the plist file is loaded and for the rest the contents of the vanilla kext is loaded. Haven't tried this myself yet, but is reported to work.

Delete extensions.mkext? As far as I know you do not have to do that. However, I always load with the bootflag -f after chaning something in the chameleon bootlaoder.

Not sure, I have smbios.plist with MacPro3,1 and is reported as MacPro3,1?

I always thought that

the kexts from partition_Chameleon/Extra where loaded first in memory and,

then the mkexts from partion_Vanilla/System/Library/Extensions.mkext eventually replacing the older chameleon kexts ( using kextunload old then kextload new ),

then if mkext is not there or if booted with -f the mkexts from partition_Vanilla/System/Library/Extensions/*.kext.

If I understand you better, and it looks like this way now, then even in the partition_Vanilla/System/Library/Extension.mkext could contain kexts from the other partition_Chameleon/extra/ kexts? Sounds almost what I notice. And that means I have to delete the mkext!

I wish I could see the source code from the boot files! And some documentation about the workings instead of my guessings.

Also about the apple.boot.plist, is the vanilla apple.boot.plist replacing or suplemental of the chameleon boot.plist?

Thank you

I am trying to create a RAID boot system using Softraid software...

Previously I have used the Munky's EFI boot method for single disks which works fine.

I would like to set up a a RAID boot drive but am un sure

This topic

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aid&st=1060

is old but details some of the steps...

How would I go about this now ?

I would like to use the EFI Method if I can and keep the Vanilla install...

Not sure what to do I am so used to Munky's method I don't see what this does, hoever I want to use it as Munky said this release is the future and his method was just a stand in...

Thanks...

hello,

i was wondering if somebody could give me some advice....

I have installed chameleon fine on my netbook! works great! and now i want to install it onto my main system. My current set up is Leopard and munkys efi partition on disk 1, and time machine with vista 64 on disk 2. both are guid formatted. i would obviously like to use chameleon to boot vista and leopard whilst keeping the number of visible unbootable partitions to a minimum. could somebody please point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance.

Here are the bugs I've noticed so far on my Gigabyte UD3P rig: (running Chameleon 2.0 RC1-431 on a USB stick)

1. Boot Selector in the Boot Plist doesn't work (ex. hd(0,2) doesn't auto-boot my boot drive)

2. "Processor" type is still missing from the SMBIOS Plist config (re: Silverlight issue not grepping "Intel") [edit: hmm, works on my C2D, not my Q6600 C2Q]

3. Extensions.mkext bundle won't load from the Chameleon Extra folder, period

4. LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage/IOAHCIBlockStorage kexts will not load from the Chameleon Extra/Extensions folder (must be installed to HDD)

Other than that, everything is peachy. Very stable. Themes are awesome. Love it!

Does anyone know how to make the USB boot stick stay unmounted? I made an Automator action to Eject the USB stick at boot, but when I wake my computer from sleep it just reconnects, bleh! Is there a trick available for getting it permanently unmounted, unless I physically remove it and put it back in again?

Update:

Installed it to my HDD (instead of USB). Boot Selector in the Boot Plist works now. "Processor" type is still missing, although that may be attributed to my Q6600 C2Q. Extensions.mkext will now load from the Extra folder, but BlockStorage still won't load from the /Extra/Extensions folder (must be bundled with the Mkext).

RAID HOWTO is in my signature.

I am trying to create a RAID boot system using Softraid software...

Previously I have used the Munky's EFI boot method for single disks which works fine.

I would like to set up a a RAID boot drive but am un sure

This topic

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...aid&st=1060

is old but details some of the steps...

How would I go about this now ?

I would like to use the EFI Method if I can and keep the Vanilla install...

Not sure what to do I am so used to Munky's method I don't see what this does, hoever I want to use it as Munky said this release is the future and his method was just a stand in...

Thanks...

Hi.

I was sure I posted this somewhere on the forum, but I can't find my post.

I installed Chameleon 2 RC1 on my hack, in my 200GB HD containing OSX only. I have a 500GB drive with Windows 7, an OSX test partition and Ubuntu 9.04 installed. Looks like Chameleon isn't able to find my Linux partition while it finds both my Windows and OSX paritions. I don't have CD/DVD support either.

Thanks in advance.

Here are the bugs I've noticed so far on my Gigabyte UD3P rig: (running Chameleon 2.0 RC1-431 on a USB stick)

1. Boot Selector in the Boot Plist doesn't work (ex. hd(0,2) doesn't auto-boot my boot drive)

2. "Processor" type is still missing from the SMBIOS Plist config (re: Silverlight issue not grepping "Intel") [edit: hmm, works on my C2D, not my Q6600 C2Q]

3. Extensions.mkext bundle won't load from the Chameleon Extra folder, period

4. LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage/IOAHCIBlockStorage kexts will not load from the Chameleon Extra/Extensions folder (must be installed to HDD)

Other than that, everything is peachy. Very stable. Themes are awesome. Love it!

Does anyone know how to make the USB boot stick stay unmounted? I made an Automator action to Eject the USB stick at boot, but when I wake my computer from sleep it just reconnects, bleh! Is there a trick available for getting it permanently unmounted, unless I physically remove it and put it back in again?

Update:

Installed it to my HDD (instead of USB). Boot Selector in the Boot Plist works now. "Processor" type is still missing, although that may be attributed to my Q6600 C2Q. Extensions.mkext will now load from the Extra folder, but BlockStorage still won't load from the /Extra/Extensions folder (must be bundled with the Mkext).

I haven't seen ANY of the USB stick issues you've seen. I have the UD3R & UD3P and both of them boot from USB, have default drives (1,2 - remember the stick is 0,2) and LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage/IOAHCIBlockStorage kexts load just fine. Also, Extensions.mkext loads up without issue. As for the processor type, I think that's across most models. Same thing happened on my EFI-X chip.

I've tried the new release and lost sound ;)

List of kexts in .mkext in extra folder

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

Disabler.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000.kext

System profiler see's the hardware as did in chameleon 1.0.12 except now, sound preference does not list any inputs or outputs.

I've tried the new release and lost sound :(

The audio kexts you are using don't work from Extra folder. At least, they never worked for me from Extra!

Install them to S/L/E, HDAEnabler and the LegacyHDA kexts. Those kexts are "adittions" so, they aren't touched by updates.

You can also try VoodooHDA (Voodooprojects).. it works from Extra if you add IOAudioFamily and OSvKernDSPLib kexts :)