[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

my chamelion install is messed up, but why and how?

Whenever I boot from the chamelion page I get a reboot shortly after making my selection (i tried it all). That aint no good... It reboots just as it is going to the next screen (switch to Darwin?).

But what and where might it go wrong?

Installed Kalyway 10.5.2

Then Installed Retail 10.5.4 to other drive. Upgraded to 10.5.6 via apple soft dl

Installed XP to check bios, and to re flash it.

Problem persits, So now Im starting to install it all over again...

Any ideas what went wrong? So I dont repeat it...

Is there any quick way to delete the EFI partition WITHOUT having to boot another os version?

Since I was stupid enough to erase my old Kalyway to soon...

coconup, I tried everything:

-leaving the kexts in /Extra/Extensions as they are

-Making an mkext in /Extra

-leaving only the mkext and deleting the files in /Extra/Extensions

-recreating the mkext reinstalling the package

It just didn't work, not a big issue because what I needed from the system was already working, but still I want to find out why. (Going to read some documentation)

you must put extensions.mkext in the extra folder and delete the extra/extensions one

you must put extensions.mkext in the extra folder and delete the extra/extensions one

So either extensions.mkext (with all neded kexts) and no single .kexts OR single .kexts and no extensions.mkext ?

I have seen (screenshoots here) some have both in use: extension.mkext and the single .kexts in that extra folder.

Would be fine to get knowing which is the working way.

the audio legacy kexts must be in extra/extensions.mkext or they won't work

Not entirely TRUE.

I have my legacy kexts in the main Etensions folder (on my Lappy), also disabler and other enablers like PS2, NVinject, etc.

On my desktop I had several methods to boot, from directly, EFI, boot132 (syslinux on a fat32), chameleon and PC_EFI, there I put the legacy, disabler and enabler on the /extra/extensions because with differente methods it could be a mess if you combine extras with mains.

My leopard is GUID partition on a single hdd

My osx is installed from retail leopard dvd with boot132 CD bootloader and than installed chameleon hdd loader finally.

Could I just run the pkg installer directly without any terminal commands or some other configuration ?

Not entirely TRUE.

I have my legacy kexts in the main Etensions folder (on my Lappy), also disabler and other enablers like PS2, NVinject, etc.

On my desktop I had several methods to boot, from directly, EFI, boot132 (syslinux on a fat32), chameleon and PC_EFI, there I put the legacy, disabler and enabler on the /extra/extensions because with differente methods it could be a mess if you combine extras with mains.

yes I heard they also work if you put them in s/l/e, but I'm completely sure they won't load from extra/extensions, and they won't even load from extensions.mkext if you keep an extra/extensions folder :D

My leopard is GUID partition on a single hdd

My osx is installed from retail leopard dvd with boot132 CD bootloader and than installed chameleon hdd loader finally.

Could I just run the pkg installer directly without any terminal commands or some other configuration ?

yes you can run package ,it would work.

I keep on getting:

EBIOS Read error 0x01

Block -########### Sectors 64

I am using EFI with a GA-EP35-DS4 (AHCI) with Seagate ST31500341AS (CC1H) SATA disks. I get the impression that this maybe a sector related problem maybe (LBA/Large)? Any idea as to where to look at? There isn't much of any solution around. Any ideas anyone?

Besides the EFI boot partition, I also tried to make a chameleon USB boot stick with the exact same results! It seems that Chameleon does not like my PC no matter where I try to boot from. :(:P I am about to give up.

Amazing work and very easy to customize! :)

So far I have been unable to get Vista to boot in my GUID partitioned drive – / EFI / Vista / OSX86 / OSX86 / – and it doesn’t seem to matter whether I have Chameleon installed on my first OSX86 partition or in the preferred EFI System partition HFS. When I click on the Vista icon I just get a reboot. I tried making the Vista partition active, running Vista repair and then making the EFI System partition HFS active again but still the same problem. Where am I going wrong?

I keep on getting:

EBIOS Read error 0x01

Block -########### Sectors 64

I am using EFI with a GA-EP35-DS4 (AHCI) with Seagate ST31500341AS (CC1H) SATA disks. I get the impression that this maybe a sector related problem maybe (LBA/Large)? Any idea as to where to look at? There isn't much of any solution around. Any ideas anyone?

Yeah, I also had this error. Seems like the boot files might get corrupted after a couple of days for some reason. I re-installed version 1 (booted from a 2nd drive) and all is well again (including hibernate). Version 2 looks good but think I'll wait til more of the bugs are worked out.

cheers ...

yes you can run package ,it would work.

Yeah!!! Installed new boot loader with installer package successfully.

But when I tried to boot Windows XP located on another separate hdd, it just give a black blank screen with a blinking cursor. :)

Yeah!!! Installed new boot loader with installer package successfully.

But when I tried to boot Windows XP located on another separate hdd, it just give a black blank screen with a blinking cursor. :thumbsup_anim:

I think this is also an limitation - cant work over more than one HD.

I cant boot into XP on HD2(XP, OSX with chameleon ) booting chameleon from HD1(OSX with chameleon) - blinking cursor after selecting XP(is on HD2) for boot.

But when i select by BIOS F12 to boot from HD2(XP,OSX with chameleon) i can set chameleon there to boot XP.

Great work!

However I have a problem with this version: I can't use it for booting 2 seperate disks.

When I connect only my 1st disk I can boot with chameleon (Nice GUI etc..)

But if I connect the 2nd HD it hangs (black screen). I still can boot on windows but using a boot132 cd-rom.

I tried to boot with No GUI, here's what it gives:

Darwin/X86 boot V5.0-132 - Chameleon V2.0 r431

Build date: 2009-04-01 15:17:35

4096 MB Memory

VESA V3.0 14MB (NVIDIA)

/

My disk config:

disk 1 sata 250Gb (GPT)-> Part1: leopard installed on a single HFS+ partition + chameleon on the hidden 200Mb EFI partition

disk 2 stat 1Tb (MBR)-> Part1:windows XP (80Mb Ntfs primary active part), Part2: reserved (1Gb FAT32 Primary), Part3: data_ntfs (80Gb Ntfs Primary), Part4: Data (Extended, 700Gb FAT32 Logical)

My spec:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev2, bios F7 (AHCI enabled in bios)

4GB

Asus EN 8600 GT Magic 512 MB

I had another go but I’m still unable to get Vista to boot on my laptop’s GUID partitioned hard drive – | Chameleon | Vista | OS X | OS X | – clicking on the Vista icon just makes the laptop reboot. I repaired Vista, made the Chameleon active/boot again but still clicking on Vista icon makes the laptop reboot. Going back to the older version of Chameleon, meantime. Any takers? I am stumped at this point.

Edited:- I solved my problem. You can find my solution on the Acer (intel) thread - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77396 - first post, lower third.

Shutdown stopped working, even with openhaltrestart.kext installed. I also tried reinstalling leopard and chameleon but still doesn't work. However, all the rest is perfect. :) Thanks a lot Chamaleon Team.