[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

I think this is also an limitation - cant work over more than one HD.

I cant boot into XP on HD2(XP, OSX with chameleon ) booting chameleon from HD1(OSX with chameleon) - blinking cursor after selecting XP(is on HD2) for boot.

But when i select by BIOS F12 to boot from HD2(XP,OSX with chameleon) i can set chameleon there to boot XP.

Hehe, I can boot Windows 7 from 2nd HD

:blink:

This is just great and weird.

Great because it does so many things so well, like the option of selecting all partitions that show up on the boot screen (Windows 7, Linux, etc.), but only when it does. That's the weird part. I should re-phrase it as the inconsistent part. Sometimes it displays (after POST) a beautiful screen with a gorgeous chameleon perching on a branch and with all the partitions from all the HDDs that I made me feel like I live in Utopia. But then the other times...blank screen. Then there are times it shows a verbose screen with the same options of partitions.

But in all, I would put up with its inconsistency and wait for its maturation in due time. This is the single most significant development in the last 3 years. WHAT A MILESTONE!

Please hurry up Dev team and show off to the world your brain child.

How so.?

1. Just install windows 7 to a single HD. Windows 7 will generate two partitions:first one is efi partition named "System Reserved", second one is windows 7 system

2. Boot Chameleon on usb key, and Choose "System Reserved" partition, then you will go!

Sorry if im being a noob and all but ive been reading though the Chameleon threads after just switching acouple days ago to 2.0 RC1 from EFIv8 and am wondering

if there is a way to make it boot after a certain amount of time into a preselected partition after or before the chameleon GUI loads .

thanks for any help ..

p.s. this is because i only have a single OSX partition currently and do not wish to duel boot.

Shutdown stopped working, even with openhaltrestart.kext installed. I also tried reinstalling leopard and chameleon but still doesn't work. However, all the rest is perfect. :( Thanks a lot Chamaleon Team.

Did you tried with VoodooPower? working like a charm in my configuration.

Sorry if im being a noob and all but ive been reading though the Chameleon threads after just switching acouple days ago to 2.0 RC1 from EFIv8 and am wondering

if there is a way to make it boot after a certain amount of time into a preselected partition after or before the chameleon GUI loads .

thanks for any help ..

p.s. this is because i only have a single OSX partition currently and do not wish to duel boot.

hi, add the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

you can check your partition number by pressing tab in chameleon. timeout value is in seconds.

I installed this on a brand new retail 10.5.6 install (BadAxe2/Q6600) and everything works well except for boot. I get the GUI with the lizard, and an image of my boot drive. And it sits there, until I hit enter on the keyboard and it goes ahead and boot.

I've scoured the threads and the team's site. Tried adding rd=disk0s2 to boot list with OSX86Tools. Tried adding the line manually to the boot plist. Nothing changes. I cannot get Chameleon v2 to auto boot like 1.0.12 did.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

And it sits there, until I hit enter on the keyboard and it goes ahead and boot.

Well, if I understand you correctly you desire it to boot directly or after a certain timeout. For this to work you need to specify the default boot volume and the timeout options. So, in your boot.plist:

<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

hd(bios_boot_order,partition_number_use_diskutil_list)

Timeout value can be '0', '', and a number. Being, boot without delay the defailt partition, wait for user input and wait certain time.

I installed this on a brand new retail 10.5.6 install (BadAxe2/Q6600) and everything works well except for boot. I get the GUI with the lizard, and an image of my boot drive. And it sits there, until I hit enter on the keyboard and it goes ahead and boot.

I've scoured the threads and the team's site. Tried adding rd=disk0s2 to boot list with OSX86Tools. Tried adding the line manually to the boot plist. Nothing changes. I cannot get Chameleon v2 to auto boot like 1.0.12 did.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Drag com.apple.boot.plist from extra folder to desktop add like this

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>Default Partition=HD(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>4</string>

Of course put this back or overwrite in extra folder

It will auto boot from the default Hard Drive

My system auto Boots after 4 seconds from default partition

THANK YOU!

I had to change boot disk to hd(0,2) but otherwise your tip works perfectly. You have scored 25 Karma Points for this, good sir.

Just to put that into perspective, helping old lady cross busy intersection = 5 pts.

Well, if I understand you correctly you desire it to boot directly or after a certain timeout. For this to work you need to specify the default boot volume and the timeout options. So, in your boot.plist:

<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

hd(bios_boot_order,partition_number_use_diskutil_list)

Timeout value can be '0', '', and a number. Being, boot without delay the defailt partition, wait for user input and wait certain time.

Thank you for the help! For some reason, your approach doesn't work on my system, but this does:

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>4</string>

FWIW, leaving Timeout blank or zero doesn't fix the boot hang at the Chameleon GUI. It has to be set for 1 second or more to auto-boot after the timeout. On my system (Badaxe2/Q6600) at least.

Thanks guys for helping me with this! Chameleon works great now, better than the current alpha.

Drag com.apple.boot.plist from extra folder to desktop add like this

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>Default Partition=HD(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>4</string>

Of course put this back or overwrite in extra folder

It will auto boot from the default Hard Drive

My system auto Boots after 4 seconds from default partition

does anybody know how to get Chameleon 2.0 working with XP, Windows 7 on a MBR partition?

On XP I get the following error:

Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:\Windows\
NTDETECT Failed

On Windows 7 all I get is a blinking cursor

I hope somebody can help me resolve these problems

All the best

NSCXP2005

hi, add the following to your com.apple.Boot.plist

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

you can check your partition number by pressing tab in chameleon. timeout value is in seconds.

THANK YOU :whistle:

Thanks for the new release!

i am bit confused, where do i have to put the Kernel Extensions? (single kexts). In Extra/Extensions/ or directly to Extra/ ?

Thanks!

(i used boot-132 before, this is my first cham release)

wow... U have done it once again this thig is amazing.. i can finally boot multiple os(s) without being sent to ugly stuff lol.. but i have a question about the smbios.plist .. i dont have that in my extra's folder i need to edit it because my ram shows up as 667 and its actually 800MHZ thank you so much for ur hard work and making things easier to the end user ;)

excuse my english for its not my first languge

where do i have to put the Kernel Extensions? (single kexts). In Extra/Extensions/ or directly to Extra/ ?

Extra/Extensions, if you would like to use a mkext, that one goes into the Extra (then you should remove the Extensions folder completely), like Extra/Extensions.mkext.

I got a small problem with the new release. I can't boot with it. All I get it a boot1: error. I figured out its the "boot" file in the root directory. If I replace it with PC_EFIv9 version, it will boot fine. Replace it with the 2.0RC1-r431 version, I get the above error. Here is my setup:

Intel E6400

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P

2GB Ram

7600GT

Bios set to "RAID MODE", I did not try it in AHCI or Legacy as of yet. But I will report back when I do.

EDIT:

Changed it to "AHCI Mode" OSX boots fine, so it seems to be a bug with "RAID Mode" on the GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard.

I got a small problem with the new release. I can't boot with it. All I get it a boot1: error. I figured out its the "boot" file in the root directory. If I replace it with PC_EFIv9 version, it will boot fine. Replace it with the 2.0RC1-r431 version, I get the above error. Here is my setup:

Intel E6400

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P

2GB Ram

7600GT

Bios set to "RAID MODE", I did not try it in AHCI or Legacy as of yet. But I will report back when I do.

EDIT:

Changed it to "AHCI Mode" OSX boots fine, so it seems to be a bug with "RAID Mode" on the GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard.

Using Raid Guide read?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160467

Hi Eddie Turfboer,

Its a partiton on the same drive.

Here is the set up I have with partiton types

Recovery Partition - This comes on laptop

XP - Primary

OSX (Retail) - Primary

Extended Partiton

Backup - Logical

Windows 7 - Logical

Data - Logical

DDMAC Drive - Logical

I have been using EasyBCD on the Windows 7 drive so that I can boot in to it & I also can boot into XP & OSX.

The previous Chameleon version I have been using to boot in to OSX, this has an extras folder on the system drive.

I hope you can help me with my problem.

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005