[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

You must add the UUID of each partition to the boot.plist.

First check both your partitions UIDs with Disk Utility (Info on disks), they must be different. Then add this to each of the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist files

boot-uuid

UUID of this partition

replace "UUID of this partition" with the real UUID of that particular partition, in the form

XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

You must do it to both /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist files, each with its own UID.

From then on, Chameleon will be able to differentiate the 2 partitions /Extra contents.

Without that Chameleon loads that /Extra from which its bootet(aktive partition) first - no problem(not seen) if the system is the same, but much problem both systems need different /Extra!

I think lot of SL tester have problems (KP & CO) because of that reason, which is not really logical. I dont understand why Chameleon goes same way without the UUID entry.

You must add the UUID of each partition to the boot.plist.

First check both your partitions UIDs with Disk Utility (Info on disks), they must be different. Then add this to each of the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist files

<key>boot-uuid</key>

<string>UUID of this partition</string>

replace "UUID of this partition" with the real UUID of that particular partition, in the form

XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

You must do it to both /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist files, each with its own UID.

From then on, Chameleon will be able to differentiate the 2 partitions /Extra contents.

Without that Chameleon loads that /Extra from which its bootet(aktive partition) first - no problem(not seen) if the system is the same, but much problem both systems need different /Extra!

I think lot of SL tester have problems (KP & CO) because of that reason, which is not really logical. I dont understand why Chameleon goes same way without the UUID entry.

Thanks, mitch_de,

That was incredibly helpful. I just saw a similar answer on InfiniiteMac in a thread by the same poster. This had been an growing complaint among others and I always suggested that you select the correct partition via BIOS. But, that doesn't help if you have more than one OS X install on the same drive.

A question, however, I have on the use of the UUID boot key and argument:

Would a kernel flag work (boot-uuid=etc.), or is that just for the kernel and ignored by the bootloader?

Seems an obvious "No", but I thought I better find out the facts in case others ask the same question.

I'll be adding this to my script.

best regards,

MAJ

You are right, i have taken this great hint 1:1 from an friedly user of InfiniiteMac.

I also believe that an kernel flag insted of the boot.list with UUID is "to late" - i think chameleon looks early after that key to use an /Extra or not (other /Extra).

Well, I must be doing something wrong. I have 2 gigabyte systems and 3 badaxe2 systems (listed in my sig) and v2 rc1 works perfectly whether in USB stick mode or EFI partition mode. On every system that I try rc2 on, I get a message "can't find mach_kernel".

Also, (maybe this is a new feature), but on rc2, I no longer get the first bootloader button that lists my USB device. Nor do I get my second OSX data partition, only my OSX boot partition (which acts the same as it does if in rc1 I would hit my USB bootloader button), along with all of my Windows drives. Both Windows 64 and 32 work as they should. Thanks for any advice.

Hi BJMoose, I'm experiencing the same problem as you, I wanted to try first RC2 on a USB stick to make sure things work fine before installing to hard drive, and I'm getting "can't find mach_kernel" message.

Did you find any solution?

Thanks

I think there is an issue with Chameleon and 1.5TB hard drives partitioned into 3 or more partitions which I have confirmed as well as this link below, the post before mine.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147277

Hi oSxFr33k, I have an 1.5TB drive but I think it's not the case because it's formated in only one partition and it doesn't have any data on it yet. I'm trying to boot to a 250GB drive with one partition, using a booteable USB stick with chameleon 2 RC2 installed on it.

Working on SW RAID - see's actual slice rather than disk*s3.

not tried with SL yet!

D

From answer to PM:

I already had working SW RAID with RC1 using this guide .

I simply replaced boot0, boot1h and boot with that of Chameleon RC2!

Note: - I had been using netkas's PC_EFI v10.1 - this does not work for me with Chameleon RC2.

D.

Hi oSxFr33k, I have an 1.5TB drive but I think it's not the case because it's formated in only one partition and it doesn't have any data on it yet. I'm trying to boot to a 250GB drive with one partition, using a booteable USB stick with chameleon 2 RC2 installed on it.

But its formated as 1 partition as you said so there will be no error. It has to be formated in more than 2 partitions to see the error

But its formated as 1 partition as you said so there will be no error. It has to be formated in more than 2 partitions to see the error

But I'm experiencing the same error as BJMoose, it's related to using USB stick I think and chameleon not finding the kernel.

With RC2 you don't need this manual edit anymore, it will pass the right UUID for the kernel automatically.

Didnt work for me, takes the right kernel, but not the right (from partition i want to boot later) /EXTRA.

My config

HD, MBR, 2 Partitions

1. HFS+ OS X is active /EXTRA has different content as OS X Snow parition

2. HFS+ OS X Snow not active , has different content as OS X in /EXTRA

When i press F8 and select the OS X Snow Leo for booting , it definitly loads wrong OSX/EXTRA content not OSX SNOW/EXTRA content which is (and must be) complete different.

Sure it boots from OS X Snow but if there is any content in OSX/EXTRA which is incompatible to Snow panix or no 54 Bit available.

Or does R2 boot isnt EFI 10.1 boot in that way ?

I installed R2 , only replaced boot with that 10.1 boot.

i must use that 10.1 boot, i heared Chameleon R2 boot cant boot Snow Leopard until final - i am not sure if i can try R2 boot with snow leo.

I installed R2 , only replaced boot with that 10.1 boot.

i must use that 10.1 boot, i heared Chameleon R2 boot cant boot Snow Leopard until final - i am not sure if i can try R2 boot with snow leo.

I couldn't get 10.5.7 to boot with RC2 and EFI 10.1 - with you its OK?

#EDIT# I'd removed UUID for my SW RAID from Boot.plist as it's not required with RC2 - I guess this is why !!

And I guess this is why you still need UUID !!

D

I couldn't get 10.5.7 to boot with RC2 and EFI 10.1 - with you its OK?

#EDIT# I'd removed UUID for my SW RAID from Boot.plist as it's not required with RC2 - I guess this is why !!

And I guess this is why you still need UUID !!

D

if you use the EFI system partition you can use this layout

For Leopard Kexts

--------------------

/Extra/10.5/Extensions

/Extra/10.5/Extensions.mkext

For Snow Leopard Kexts

---------------------------

/Extra/10.6/Extensions

/Extra/10.6/Extensions.mkext

Remove /Extra/Extensions & /Extra/Extensions.mkext otherwise these wil take precedence.

Chameleon RC2 will probe the os selected and load the appropriate kexts.

Been using EFI v10, as it fixed the firewire bug...

Is the firewire bug fixed in RC2? Anything to make it worth switching if I have EFI v10 working now?

Don't think I've seen the firewire error message with RC2. Will double check later and report.

D.

For Leopard Kexts

--------------------

/Extra/10.5/Extensions

For Snow Leopard Kexts

/Extra/10.6/Extensions

Remove /Extra/Extensions & /Extra/Extensions.mkext otherwise these wil take precedence.

I read somewhere else about using an add subfolder in /Extra.

I cant understand how that can help , if it does wrong with normal /Extra folders (means /Extra/Extensions)

And it that only for GUID/EFI installs ?

My MBR DISK (2 partitions, OSX=active) would look like ?

OSX

....../Extra/10.5

........................com.apple.boot.plist

........................extensions_leo.mkext

....../Extra/10.5/Extensions

........................................leo1.kext

OSXSNOW

......./Extra/10.6

........................extensions_snow.mkext

....../Extra/10.6/Extensions

.........................snow1.kext

i thougth that the the Extra subfolder /Extensions must be adirect subfolder of /Extra and also named right.

WOuld be very fine to get background information how RC2 or EFI 10.1 starts up

Does RC2/EFI 10 loads some /Extra before i select the boot partition (means i press F8 and didnt use the actice partiorin) ?

So thats why renaming /Extensions to /Extension_XYZ ?

I read somewhere else about using an add subfolder in /Extra.

I cant understand how that can help , if it does wrong with normal /Extra folders (means /Extra/Extensions)

And it that only for GUID/EFI installs ?

My MBR DISK (2 partitions, OSX=active) would look like ?

OSX

....../Extra/10.5

........................extensions_leo.mkext

....../Extra/10.5/Extensions

........................................leo1.kext

OSXSNOW

......./Extra/10.6

........................extensions_snow.mkext

....../Extra/10.6/Extensions

.........................snow1.kext

i thougth that the the Extra subfolder /Extensions must be adirect subfolder of /Extra and also named right.

WOuld be very fine to get background information how RC2 or EFI 10.1 starts up

Does RC2/EFI 10 loads some /Extra before i select the boot partition (means i press F8 and didnt use the actice partiorin) ?

So thats why renaming /Extensions to /Extension_XYZ ?

its a feature of RC2 ... but only applies to kexts/mkexts keep com.apple.boot.plist , Themes ... etc in /Extra

For Leopard Kexts

--------------------

/Extra/10.5/Extensions

For Snow Leopard Kexts

/Extra/10.6/Extensions

Interesting.

Question: Would just having /Extra/Extension.mkext for 10.5 and /Extra/10.6/Extensions.mkext for SL work?

Most of us already have a working Leo setup, so just adding /10.6 directory for SL would be more practical. Or, is the /10.5 directory needed for Leo?

I'm going to try this all out.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: BTW, I'm not finding the "boot-uuid" key and string in the boot plist working for me. I have all boot plists on my system updated with their own partition's UUID. But, SL booting still fails when selected from a different partition/drive. So, does this feature not work for SL and is this why the above method of creating a /10.6 directory for SL added?

Sure, you need AHCI mode :) and use Apple soft. RAID on your disks.

Ok, call me stupid but how does that help me. The OSX install is not on a raided hdd. I have 2 drives in RAID1, which just have data on them. Then I have 2 other hdds, 1 for Windows and the other for OSX. It boots fine in AHCI with Chameleon 1.0.11 and in RAID mode. But RC2 just does not work other than in AHCI mode. :rolleyes:

Hey, I just installed Chameleon 2.0RC2 over Chameleon 1.0.11, and now when I boot the drive instead of showing the bootloader it freezes up, just showing a backslash, with a blinking line below it. The only thing I changed was updating the bootloader. Any ideas?