[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

Several people reported having problems with the frequency thing. It should onde be used on VESA 3 Graphic cards. That was probably your main problem. As for munky's method +Chameleon2, it is the one I'm using. It seems that Chameleon should use some of the great sollutions portaited there, lets hope... Don't forget you have to put every kext, dsdt.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist inside the Extra Folder you created on the EFI partition.

i dont think it was the frequency but ok...

I just dont know how can i boot my vista on the other hd

Theres a lot of topics and questions about this

I would like to know what i did so i can do it again if i have to reinstall...

The problem isn't your P4. It's Chameleon that doesn't seem to boot other OSes, than OSX, on separate HDD. I have the same problem on my P4, running OSX Retail/XP, and on my two C2D running OSX Retail/Kalyway/XP/Ubuntu.

Yeah seems so, makes one think what´s it good for then besides maby making some other good stuff happend. I use my computers for musicmaking so I can´t have two OSes on one drive and certainly not any MS OS cause of the virus risk. If I have two OSX drives connected to the same computer be it Sata, IDE or external USB drives my musicsoftware want´s me to enter the installationcodes everytime I switch. That means I have to log on to a bunch of sites deleting computer IDs and add a new one everytime I switch. That probably would lead to that they end up suspecting I´m selling homebrewed computers loaded with software and that would not be so great ^_^ .

Like it is now it´s back to where I was having to hit F8 to change boot drive but that works OK to it´s no big deal.

On my system I have internal SATA partitioned GPT/GUID with Win7 in 2, Retail 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.6 in 3 and data in 4. Externally, all on USB I have both MBR and GPT partitioned drives. The MBR drive has openSUSE 11.1. One of the GPT drives has Retail Leopard 10.5.5 and another has the INSTAHackintosh generated customized Retail OS X Installer.

All drives with bootable OS partitione have Chameleon v2-rc1 installed. Booting from my default internal SATA drive my Chameleon boot menu shows and can correctly boot Win7, all copies of OSX and the openSUSE.

To get Linux to boot, GRUB must be installed on the root partition boot sector, not the drive MBR. On the internal SATA with Win7 & OSX the active partition is OSX (s3). And, for all the external copies of OSX, the active partition is the OSX partition.

Is this a misshapp it can´t boot MS OS on a seperate harddrive or was it only aimed for people running multiple OSes on one HD? And why you would want to do that is honestly a bit strange to me. Only thing I can think of is you don´t want to spend or have the money for an extra HD and that´s OK that I can understand but it just have to be a second choice scenario. What do I gain by having two OSes on one HD instead of on separate HDs, what is it I don´t get?

Tryed removing just the frequency and everything (graphics entry on the file) but didnt work

Something appers before reboot i think its GPT boot error then a wheel strats spinning and reboot

My leopard is on a IDE HD but i have 2 satas maybe some conflict?

i managed to see the text on the boot

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

after that it reboot

maybe my themes files arent on the right place?

its on /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Themes

Thanks to og-phantom:

If you use your IDE channels and have more the 2gb of ram, you need to get the updated jmicron.kext! Otherwise you will get kernel panics.The thread is in the hardware section under ide/sata drivers!

But, I don't think this will not help with the boot problem.

I have made several attempts and used up multiple CDs but can't get the system to boot from the CD. I have a high confidence level in terms of the integrity of the .iso disks. I have the DVD drive set to the first position on the board and in BIOS. What am I missing?

Is this a misshapp it can´t boot MS OS on a seperate harddrive or was it only aimed for people running multiple OSes on one HD? And why you would want to do that is honestly a bit strange to me. Only thing I can think of is you don´t want to spend or have the money for an extra HD and that´s OK that I can understand but it just have to be a second choice scenario. What do I gain by having two OSes on one HD instead of on separate HDs, what is it I don´t get?

A bootloader that cannot boot non-OS X operating systems on separate HDDs just as easily as it can OS X offers nothing beyond what I have at present..... :(

A bootloader that cannot boot non-OS X operating systems on separate HDDs just as easily as it can OS X offers nothing beyond what I have at present..... :(

Pretty much what I think to, I wonder what they where thinking. But then again Chameleon stuff usually is good very usefull stuff so still I´m greatfull they keep on.

A bootloader that cannot boot non-OS X operating systems on separate HDDs just as easily as it can OS X offers nothing beyond what I have at present..... :)

It's a release candidate, not the final version. Bugs are going to surface.

yep.. Chameleon2 (Cham2) can only boot XP and Vista in this situation:

-when both system/s and bootloader are installed to the first bios device (in my system disk0,first SATA port).

This was already stated by the team and more than confirmed!

What i can't understand is, why is that such a big problem for you guys??

Unless your machines don't allow what mine does, i really don't get it!?

Besides the bios Setup menu, were i can set the "group" of devices i want to boot first, i have a Boot Menu (accessed via Esc) were i choose the device i want to boot. So, if i let the machine boot normally, it always boots first device of HD group, set by me (default is DVD). Pressing Esc at PC start up i can choose any device on any group. USB storage media appears in HD group.

At the moment, booting my internal HD (MBR) shows me Cham2, installed to disk0s2, OS X partition. If i boot the external USB/SATA HD (GUID) i get Cham2 too, installed to diskXs1, EFI partition. But, if i change the "active" partition on the internal disk to let's say, XP partition (disk0s1), i will see XP boot. I have XP, OS X, Win7 and Ubuntu on the internal HD and i can use any of the bootloaders of any system just by changing the active partition.

So, i just don't get it.. someone care to explain me what's the big broblem? :unsure:

I think you guys forget that this is mainly a bootloader for OS X, that by the way, now boots Linux (Grub) and Windows7 (from everywere, as OS X), has a nice, functional and simple to skin gui, Extra folder support, DSDT override, SMBIOS override, all in one bootloader, just to mention the "most" important.

Every install i did went fine, all done with the official installer.. even have it working from a 32MB Sony Memory Stick. Installing to EFI partition was just a matter of pointing the installer to HFS+ data partition i have in the external HD, found the EFI partition and did it's job.

And it's not completed!

Tough crowd, you are :)

A bootloader that cannot boot non-OS X operating systems on separate HDDs just as easily as it can OS X offers nothing beyond what I have at present..... :unsure:

Is it just WinX OS that you reference? Because I have said in previous posts that Chameleon v2-rc can clearly boot Linux from separate MBR HDD.

I managed to boot Vista64 and MacOS on different disks. First Boot device is the Macdrive with Chameleon, and 2nd disk is Vista. I can boot now both with Chameleon (before i had blinking cursor when booting Vista). Horay! The main problem is, i can`t remember what it was that it worked :unsure: (installed EasyBCD in Vista; repaired Vista bootloader; set different drives active or not; installed Chameleon on Vistadrive in a small partition; deleted that partition again; cleaned up my /Extra/ dir etc etc). I hope to have more time next weekend to test it out what it was that it works so fine now.

@ Hara Taiki, Azimutz, BladeRunner, madhias

Firstly, I am not complaining about the great amount of excellent work done on the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader giving it much versatility and functionality.......

I was only commenting on its usefulness to me at the time based on my own testing using the r408 build on a bootable MBR/HFS+ eSATA HDD.....and do understand that it is a Release Candidate....

Secondly, I have now done some more testing with the following results using the Chameleon-2.0-r431 official installer:

My System:

Vista64 Ultimate on internal 500GB SATA HDD (disk0) as equal size primary NTFS Vista64_System volume with EasyBCD 1.7.2 and primary NTFS Vista64_Data volumes.....

Ubuntu 8.10 on internal 500GB SATA HDD (disk1) with GRUB installed in a 1GB /boot primary partition (to allow for kernel updatesetc......) and a 185GB Logical Volume containing ext3 root/home/swap volumes, plus a 280GB FAT32 shared volume between Ubuntu/Vista/OS X....

OS X Leopard on internal 500GB SATA HDD (disk2) as MBR/HFS+ as 10GB 10.5.6 Boot volume at start of HDD, with equal size 10.5.6 Main and 10.5.6 Backup OS X volumes, plus non-booting Installer Software volume

OS X Leopard on external 750GB eSATA HDD (disk3) as MBR/HFS+ as 10GB 10.5.6 Boot volume (using PC_EFI v8) at start of HDD, with 4 equal 125GB Test OS X volumes (10.5.6, 10.5.5, 10.5.4, 10.5.2) plus non-booting Software Archive volume.....

OS X Leopard on external eSATA/USB2.0 HDD enclosure (with 2 x 250GB SATA HDDs set up as 500GB BIG volume) running under USB 2.0, with 3 x 156GB OS X MBR/HFS+ volumes (10.5.2, 10.5.2, 10.5.6) as archived clone masters....

Findings:

A. With Chameleon 2.0 RC1 (r431) installed on the 10GB 10.5.6 Boot volume of the internal 500GB SATA HDD (disk2) as MBR/HFS+ the boot sequence is as follows:

Into the Windows Boot Manager giving

Windows Vista

Leopard

Ubuntu

as boot systems.....

If I choose Leopard, I go into the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot screen, where:

if I choose Boot (Linux), I go to directly to the GRUB bootloader installed in the 1GB /boot primary partition.....

if I choose Vista64_System, I go back to the Windows Boot Manager.....and must choose Windows Vista to boot Vista64.....

if I choose any bootable OS X volume (on internal, eSATA, or USB HDD), I boot into directly into it....

if I choose any non-bootable volume, as expected I get a black screen....

B. With Chameleon 2.0 RC1 (r431) installed on the 10GB 10.5.6 Boot volume of the external 750GB eSATA HDD (disk3) as MBR/HFS+, the boot sequence is as follows:

Into the BIOS Boot Menu with F8, choosing the eSATA HDD to boot from, and then into the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot screen, where:

if I choose Boot (Linux), I go to directly to the GRUB bootloader installed in the 1GB /boot primary partition.....and if I choose to boot the Ubuntu 8.10 kernel, then I get

Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
  Press any key to continue.....

but if I press any key to continue, I go back to the GRUB bootloader, and if I choose Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader), I return to the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 boot screen....

if I choose Vista64_System, I go back to the Windows Boot Manager.....and must choose Windows Vista to boot Vista64.....

if I choose any bootable OS X volume (on internal, eSATA, or USB HDD), I boot into directly into it....

if I choose any non-bootable volume, as expected I get a black screen....

so I will now research the cause of Error 17 when trying to boot a Ubuntu kernel from GRUB entered from Chameleon 2.0RC1 on my eSATA HDD......

BUT overall Chameleon 2.0 is improving with each build as expected....... :blink:

EDIT: When using the eSATA HDD Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader to choose Boot (Linux), GRUB is somehow corrupted giving Error 17, and I cannot then re-boot to Ubuntu via Windows Boot Manager or the internal SATA HDD Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader......I have to use EasyBCD 1.7.2 to delete the old GRUB entry and then renew the GRUB entry in order for booting to Ubuntu from the Windows Boot Manager or the internal SATA HDD Chameleon 2.0 RC1 bootloader to work again...... :rolleyes:

hi,

i want to change my themes .

and i use the Chameleon PKG-installer install it to my GPT disk.

i type this

then reboot.

and i see no change.

how i can do it?

;)

Take a look at my post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162580

CoolEdit

my chamelion install is messed up, but why and how?

Whenever I boot from the chamelion page I get a reboot shortly after making my selection (i tried it all). That aint no good... It reboots just as it is going to the next screen (switch to Darwin?).

But what and where might it go wrong?

Installed Kalyway 10.5.2

Then Installed Retail 10.5.4 to other drive. Upgraded to 10.5.6 via apple soft dl

Installed XP to check bios, and to re flash it.

Problem persits, So now Im starting to install it all over again...

Any ideas what went wrong? So I dont repeat it...

Is there any quick way to delete the EFI partition WITHOUT having to boot another os version?

Since I was stupid enough to erase my old Kalyway to soon...

Hi,

take a look at my post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=162580

CoolEdit

Don´t get me wrong now cause I really think the chameleon guys are ever so cool helping us out here, no doubt about it they sure rock for sure. But why anybody would choose to install multiple OSes on one harddrive besides not having the money for another harddrive/s (and that I respect for sure cause money can be a probleme) I can´t understand.

If this was aimed to make it easier for the guys and gals caught up in a tight money situation well man you rock and I´ll donate for sure. Just let me know and I´ll contribute with what I can. But if not well sure it´s cool and really looks cool to but what´s the use of it f you can´t boot OSes from seperate HDs?

Booting from different hard drives is what makes Chameleon so nice. I have my first ahci sata drive my main system os x, and another mac hard drive next for backup, plus the sata DVD. Then I updated to the new Cham. Plugged into the ide sata ports on my Gigabyte I have a hard drive with W7 and Ubuntu. I didn't want to dedicate a whole drive to one of these lesser systems so it made sense. Chameleon works great showing all the mac parts first, then win, and linux. Everything boots properly, I sure like it! And the drives seem happy sleeping when not in use too.

Don´t get me wrong now cause I really think the chameleon guys are ever so cool helping us out here, no doubt about it they sure rock for sure. But why anybody would choose to install multiple OSes on one harddrive besides not having the money for another harddrive/s (and that I respect for sure cause money can be a probleme) I can´t understand.

If this was aimed to make it easier for the guys and gals caught up in a tight money situation well man you rock and I´ll donate for sure. Just let me know and I´ll contribute with what I can. But if not well sure it´s cool and really looks cool to but what´s the use of it f you can´t boot OSes from seperate HDs?

Oh! I got one reson: LAPTOPS only have ONE hard drive.

I agree with you. But lets wait for the final version of Cham2

Is it just me or do many insanelymac users run hackintoshes because they couldn't afford to/didn't need to buy a mac?

single hard drive booting makes sense from many different angles... not just the poor/cheap angles.

Well.. verdant, i'm not trying to criticize anyone! Two weeks ago, i still thought that my machine didn't boot USB devices, just because i was looking for them in the wrong place :wacko:

I'm just trying to understand, really. And i still don't!

Can't you boot your disk0 with Vista bootloader directly, just by choosing that device to boot? The same with disk1?

Why do you have to "take the long way" and use Chameleon to chainload other bootloaders, without the need for that??

With your setup that's what i'd do!



starobrno1.. I can give you reasons for multibooting from the same HD:

- Sure money is a problem!! I'm thinking of buying another HD, maybe internal but, money doesn't grow on trees here :(

- For me, external devices are only for storage, testing and maybe for an OS that it's not meant to "use". An OS to "use" will always be in an internal HD, were connections are faster! (though OS X runs pretty fine from my external USB HD)

- I recently upgraded the RAM of this machine and it's all the money i'm thinking of spending with it, because it's not mine.. it's from the house ;) mine i will build!

Just a few..

I don't know if Chameleon will ever do what "you" want because, the problem is with Windows.. maybe that will change with 7?! (it looks like)

Check Grub manual and you will see that it has the same problem with Windows and even explains why.

In fact, my opinion is that Cham2 is a better bootloader than Grub. Not that i dislike Grub but, now we have an alternative and a very good one :)



jamesah.. No, it's not just you :D Though i really like the highend design style of Macs, it's not on my plans buying one, at least in the near future. PCs give more freedom of choice! And can be cheaper.

As for OS X, it's the best OS i ever used and OSx86 scene, the "place" were i've been learning more about computers. So, though i dream with the day when Apple puts out a Mac OS for PCs, i also wish that day never comes!

@ Azimutz I have taken this convoluted route initially because I did not want to mess up my working OS systems until I was certain as to what worked and what did not.....and if not, why not.....but will now consider direct booting of Vista and Linux via Chameleon.....also booting from the eSATA HDD.....

Is it just me or do many insanelymac users run hackintoshes because they couldn't afford to/didn't need to buy a mac?

single hard drive booting makes sense from many different angles... not just the poor/cheap angles.

Your are probably right... but i have to confess I've got got at home one iMac and two iBooks :P

No MacIntel's, though.

@ Azimutz I have taken this convoluted route initially because I did not want to mess up my working OS systems until I was certain as to what worked and what did not.....and if not, why not.....but will now consider direct booting of Vista and Linux via Chameleon.....also booting from the eSATA HDD.....

And you did fine! Testing is the right way to do it...

I'm investigating installing a internal HD.. found the place for it, just having some doubts about the power connection.

It's hard to be noob ;)