[UPDATED] Chameleon 2.0RC2 is out! With Official Installer

Onixs

447 posts in this topic

I tried it over RC1. After struggling with it for 4,5 times, I managed to install it.

@ things I noticed that I can't (or don't know yet) change like did with the previous releases:

- I can no longer boot my SL, which has always been on a separate drive. It was bootable in RC1.

- No matter what I do change the parameters of the boot screen (to my taste) by editing theme plist, nothing changes.

I can live well the boot screen although it now is offset from center but I can't live without SL.

I can reformat the SL drive with PCEFI v9 but that does not want to coexist with Chaneleon during startup, result in a hang.

Please help, someone!

ehy men..

I'm here to confirm that the boot detect the video card.. mine is 10de 0649 -> invidia Geforce 9600M GT 512mb in laptop ACER 5390g-...

i deleted the bewer best ATY-invidia universal kext.. but with newer chemeleon I see all.. but no QE/CI !

another question is: how can I verify if I need an injector or not for audio/lan/sata? should I erase all the mods in the S/L/E?

thanks

ugo

This version corrupts my bios settings, I think.

After rebooting it boots normally till the moment is should boot chameleon from hd.

At that point I get a black screen and nothing else.

When I reset the pc I still get a black screen, after clearing the cmos it boots normally again.

Anyone experienced the same?

Maybe this will solve your bios problem: http://netkas.org/?p=114

How can i replace the apple boot logo(not the glass apple default in chameleon).i want the original boot apple logo..tnx in advance

Enable the "Legacy Logo" option in your boot.plist.

Well, I must be doing something wrong. I have 2 gigabyte systems and 3 badaxe2 systems (listed in my sig) and v2 rc1 works perfectly whether in USB stick mode or EFI partition mode. On every system that I try rc2 on, I get a message "can't find mach_kernel".

Also, (maybe this is a new feature), but on rc2, I no longer get the first bootloader button that lists my USB device. Nor do I get my second OSX data partition, only my OSX boot partition (which acts the same as it does if in rc1 I would hit my USB bootloader button), along with all of my Windows drives. Both Windows 64 and 32 work as they should. Thanks for any advice.

Installed RC1 on friday but not edited anything in extras or put my DSDT in (I made friday too). Gonna try RC2 tonight. Time for my n00b-ish questions...

How to I mount my hidden FAT32 EFI partition? I only found instructions for HFS formatted ones!?!

The MKext file needs ONLY the modded exts right, not all of them?

Also (n00bish question of the lot), does Chameleon install on my main "Mac" drive partition, or is actually on another hidden partition on the same disk? I just chose to install RC1 on the "Mac" drive and it worked, but I'm tying to work out how it doesn't get overwritten if you format/install with a normal boot disk (or do you not format it after)!?! Or should I have created and installed to a separate Chameleon partition that I should point the BIOS to?

Thanx!

Enable the "Legacy Logo" option in your boot.plist.

Hello,

i´m also interested in this, I thought it should be like this:

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

but it doesn´t work. Is there any ducumentation about this?

Thanks in advance

shila

R640 working all ok (including Legacy Logo) in my Gigabyte mobo, Leopard Sleeps and restarts well, also Tiger can sleep but can't restart, haven't tried in the Intel mobo.

I think it's unrelated to Chameleon... my Ethernet MAC Address is now filled with zeroes, I've added a combo USB2/FW PCI card Via chipset (working in Leopard/Tiger), I think :wacko: I have done something very odd! Can't get it back to the original MAC Address.

Edited

Thanks a lot Zef and all the developers for this wonderful Chameleon version!!! It's getting better all the time!!!

Edited by OcciJano

Guys, a fast question: I install iATKOS v7 just now and downloaded the .pkg installer/updater for Chameleon RC2. Does anyone else get the error during the installer? It doesn't complete the job... Can I not update Chameleon? Can someone post the manual (Terminal) way to update, please? Thank you.

RC2 works fine here, used the installer to update from RC1 on EFI/GPT.

I really like the built in video injector but it sucks that I have to unplug my TV for it to work properly (wrong NVCap I guess?)

ATY_init.kext and NVenabler don't have this problem.

UUID.kext uses a fixed UUID, i don't think thats very elegant.

Use UUIDGenerator.app.

I went from:

- RC1 to try BootThink because BootThink has Optcal drive boot option. But it is a dud when it comes to SL.

- Back to RC1 with SL boot option. I run SL almost exclusively because it works with all the programs I use and it's snappier.

- I tried RC2, It had a lot problems in terms of controlling it to boot the way I wanted it but to no avail. No matter what I do, it does not listen. SO back to RC1 I went, but...

- SL 10A421 came out and and the update rendered my SL partitions (2 of them) useless because of the new Aplle Decrypt scheme.

- Netkas came up with a new elegant scheme of tricking SL to load dsmos on the fly. I tried it and it works beautifully with RC1.

Now I can comfortably reinstall SL anytime with no added kexts and it boots every single time with RC1 and the Netkas APple Decrypter. I can boot 32-bit and 64-bit with ease. How simple that is!

Besides, RC1 works acroos the board- Leopard, SL, Win7 and else.

I will try RC2 in the near future when I can find out how to manioulate boot screen options using themes.

Oh, this is for people that play with SL (installing and reinstalling): I saved the update in a separate folder elsewhere before giving it a chance to reboot so that I can update any SL installation afterwards. If not, it will erase the update files after reboot.

I went from:

- RC1 to try BootThink because BootThink has Optcal drive boot option. But it is a dud when it comes to SL.

- Back to RC1 with SL boot option. I run SL almost exclusively because it works with all the programs I use and it's snappier.

- I tried RC2, It had a lot problems in terms of controlling it to boot the way I wanted it but to no avail. No matter what I do, it does not listen. SO back to RC1 I went, but...

- SL 10A421 came out and and the update rendered my SL partitions (2 of them) useless because of the new Aplle Decrypt scheme.

- Netkas came up with a new elegant scheme of tricking SL to load dsmos on the fly. I tried it and it works beautifully with RC1.

Now I can comfortably reinstall SL anytime with no added kexts and it boots every single time with RC1 and the Netkas APple Decrypter. I can boot 32-bit and 64-bit with ease. How simple that is!

Besides, RC1 works acroos the board- Leopard, SL, Win7 and else.

I will try RC2 in the near future when I can find out how to manioulate boot screen options using themes.

Oh, this is for people that play with SL (installing and reinstalling): I saved the update in a separate folder elsewhere before giving it a chance to reboot so that I can update any SL installation afterwards. If not, it will erase the update files after reboot.

tdtran1025,

What kind of kext loading setup do you employ for SL?

/Extra/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions.mkext from some repository?

If mkext, do you:

1. Create a combo mkext from both /Extra and /Extensions for /Extra or /SL/Startup?
  2. Create individual mkext files, one for /Extra and one for /SL/Startup cache.
  3. Just mkext from and for /Extra
  4. Just mkext from and for /SL/Startup

In my experience any of the above works, but with certain restrictions. Trying to find best method.

kind regards,

MAJ

tdtran1025,

What kind of kext loading setup do you employ for SL?

/Extra/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions.mkext from some repository?

If mkext, do you:

1. Create a combo mkext from both /Extra and /Extensions for /Extra or /SL/Startup?
  2. Create individual mkext files, one for /Extra and one for /SL/Startup cache.
  3. Just mkext from and for /Extra
  4. Just mkext from and for /SL/Startup

In my experience any of the above works, but with certain restrictions. Trying to find best method.

kind regards,

MAJ

To be honest with you, I don't think, for my motherboard, any kexts are needed to boot SL other than kexts that you have to put in to make all of your devices function properly. SOme of these work in the Extra/Extension folder, others have to be put in the System/Library/Extension such as OpenHaltRestart and VooDooHDA for my sound and proper shutdown. THe thing is I knew about some kexts that are supposed to help but do the contrary thing like disbaler and IntelCPUPowerManagement. Disabler would just kill (for my board Asus P5Q-Pro) sleep and restart- and the latter makes the machine act weirdly. I knew from Leopard experience of these kexts so the only ones I need all along are dsmos and OpenHaltRestart just to boot.

But the problem with dsmos is after the 10A421 upgrade, it won't boot anymore. I spent days messing with it to the point of frustration. Then I stumbled upon the new Decrypt method at Netkas' site and believe me, it's like a new lease in life (I stated in the first post that I use SL exclusively). SO I reinstalled my SL using CHameleon2 RC1 with SL boot support to have the first boot without fail. Then I update the new install with 10A421 package and install this new decrypter from Netkas. Life is rosy again thereafter.

I have my main Leopard on a partition and Snow Leopard on a 2nd partition on the same HD. When I try to boot SL from Chameleon, the kexts from the Extra folder on the Leopard partition gets loaded and not the kexts from the SL partition. Is there a solution for this?