[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

Devin thanks for all your work on this update:)

I do have a question. After I run the graphics update I cannot get past the blue screen after reboot. I have gma950, some people (who also have gma950) have said it booted to the desktop but their resolution was wrong. Any Idea how I/we can fix this?

This is crazy because gma950 is in the macbooks and under kalyway no extra patch is needed!

Would installing the gma950 package from tiger fix it?

Anyone? Please ;)

Hmm, not sure. I use a nVIDIA GeForce FX5200, so I'm not very sure.

How long do you let it wait?

Also, try booting with

-x

and see if you can see anything.

Or try

fsck -fy

to rebuild KEXT list. :angel:

Hmm, not sure. I use a nVIDIA GeForce FX5200, so I'm not very sure.

How long do you let it wait?

Also, try booting with

-x

and see if you can see anything.

Or try

fsck -fy

to rebuild KEXT list. ;)

Thanks for the reply Devin

Where / how do I use" fsck-fy?

SOMEONE PLZ REPLY FAST CAUSE IM IN XP NOW AND I WANT TO BOOT AGAIN BACK TO LEO

success with the update

but i was in a hurry so i didn't replace anything ,i thought i'll do it after the restart (sound etc)

but i didn't have in my mind the ps2 keyboard

now the keyboard doesn't work so i can't install the old kext

it will ask me for a password ,how will i type?

maybe i'll try through transmac in pc

should it be appleacpiplatform?

can i do anything?

also about this mac /hardware says "there was an error . .. . . " and doesnt show the info about cpu etc

which kext is this to replace?

important for now is to make the keyboard so i can start typing

SOMEONE PLZ REPLY FAST CAUSE IM IN XP NOW AND I WANT TO BOOT AGAIN BACK TO LEO

success with the update

but i was in a hurry so i didn't replace anything ,i thought i'll do it after the restart (sound etc)

but i didn't have in my mind the ps2 keyboard

now the keyboard doesn't work so i can't install the old kext

it will ask me for a password ,how will i type?

maybe i'll try through transmac in pc

should it be appleacpiplatform?

can i do anything?

also about this mac /hardware says "there was an error . .. . . " and doesnt show the info about cpu etc

which kext is this to replace?

important for now is to make the keyboard so i can start typing

Yes. I believe it is AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Hope all goes well!

PS: If TransMac doesn't work, there is also MacDrive.

Thanks for the reply DevinWhere / how do I use" fsck-fy?
Right before you see Loading OSX86 or the Apple logo, press F8 repeatedly until you get a list and a line withBoot:Type it in, and press enter.
fsck is filesystem check. use 'man fsck' in the terminal to get more info.To rebuild the kernel extension cache, use 'kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions'.
Will
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

work when entering it before booting? Like, entering that after F8?If so, this should be used.

Hi,

My update went smooth.

The only problem I have is the system profiler crashing and wrong info in About this mac.

I already replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext with my backup and even others but nu success.

Anyone had a hint on this one?

Greetz

I have a P5k-E motherboard and was able to get 10.5.2 update working. The only problem I have now is my on board audio does not work. Anyone else have this problem?

Just reinstall the drivers, and it (should be) fixed. :)

Good luck!

Hi,

My update went smooth.

The only problem I have is the system profiler crashing and wrong info in About this mac.

I already replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext with my backup and even others but nu success.

Anyone had a hint on this one?

Greetz

Repair permissions

chown -R 0:0 /system/library/extensions/applesmbios.kext

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/applesmbios.kext

reboot

all is ok for me !

i just read the tutorial

but, for the question about the kext to replace, that is what i did

before reading the tutorial

to backup my Extension folder

sudo su

[password]

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions_backup

after, i do all the tutorial, and before reboot

sudo su

[password]

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions_backup/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions_backup/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions

and i restore the permissions with

sudo su

[password]

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

chown -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

chown -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

hope that can help

Update worked for me. Profilder shows 10.5.2 but....

my graphics is still the same. I have it set for 1680x1050x32 but when I try photobooth, it still says "The graphics card installed in this computer does not support Photo Booth."

In profiler under more info, the Graphics/Displays, it shows as NVIDIA (I never looked before), and Vram 32 MB, it should be 256 right? I got a 8600m GT.

Still no sound either

I got blue tooth, ethernet but no wireless, keyboard and touch pad and my bluetooth mouse all working fine.

Maybe someone can upload it to Rapidshare / Megaupload / MegaShare or one of those sites for you. I would do it but 1) I'm still downloading the torrent and 2) I have a very slow upload - 256kb up - so it'd take me hours to do so, otherwise I'd help out.

Question for all of you guys: would it be smarter to use the Kalyway "official" updater to 10.5.2 if I'm running Kaly's 10.5.1 - all with GUID, EFI and Vanilla Kernel and all that stuff? Yay or nay?

thank you. I hope you can help me when you get your file...

Excuse me if I quote one of my favorite games of '07 here: "This was a triumph. I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS!"

I am now running Mac OS X 10.5.2, with Vanilla Kernel 9.2 (Yup the updated one!), GUID, EFI and all that stuff! Just wanted to report to all of you that on my system (check specs in my Signature) I just did the following:

1) Procure the necessary files: Search at "The Bay" (You know, where everybody says "Yarr!", drink Grog and eat oranges to fight scurvy) for the files: you are looking for Kalyway's ComboUpdate for 10.5.2 as well as the other file, the Updated Kernel (I can't link here, but do a search for "kalyway" for the first file, and a search for "kernel" for the second file - make sure you sort by date so you can find it easily :) )

2) Once you have the files, BACKUP ANY IMPORTANT DATA - Everything in Hackintosh is YMMV, so if you are playing the game, might as well know the rules. Only once you've done this, you can proceed to installing the Combo Update (KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg) - Yes there are other files in your download, don't worry about them.

3) Once that's done and it asks you to restart, leave the window open and open up Disk Utility. Why? Because repairing permissions is never a bad idea. I don't know if it's necessary, but I did it and my system is working perfectly with no hitches.

4) Restart your system by clicking the Button. Once you do this, you'll see the Apple Screen, and after a long while, the system will reboot. THIS IS NORMAL! Don't panic! Once it reboots, it'll stay in the Apple Screen again, and then everything will go black. Very black. The system will stay that way for several minutes (some people say up to 3-4 minutes, it was about 2-3 for me), but after that period in which no doubt you've been holding your breath, you'll see the Blue desktop signaling that it lives! And after a few moments, your wallpaper will pop up and congrats, you are now in 10.5.2! :rolleyes:

Now, if you don't want the new Kernel, you are done here. Go make yourself a sandwich. If you do want to install the new Kernel though, do the following:

5) After doing all of above, crack open the new "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg.zip" file. Inside there'll be a file called "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg". Run this, and you'll have 2 options. Select the appropriate for your system - there's a description when you select either that'll help you chose. In my case, I chose the first one for Vanilla Kernel.

6) Reboot when prompted. It'll boot back into your desktop, no fuzz, and you'll have the 9.2.0 Darwin kernel. Congratulations! YOU NEW KING OF FIGHTERS!

So there you have it. Mind you, I have not installed the Graphics Update yet, not until I hear some confirmation that it won't screw up my Install. But if you are not hard pressed for that Graphics Update, those are the steps I followed to get my system to be up-to-date to the latest version of OS X, with the latest Kernel.

Hope that helps any of you! Cheers and good luck!

all is ok for me !

i just read the tutorial

but, for the question about the kext to replace, that is what i did

before reading the tutorial

to backup my Extension folder

sudo su

[password]

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions_backup

after, i do all the tutorial, and before reboot

sudo su

[password]

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions_backup/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions_backup/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/Extensions

and i restore the permissions with

sudo su

[password]

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

chown -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

chown -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

hope that can help

Edit: Never mind.

foodie, how do you get rid of the 3-4 mins blackness during startup?

For me it went away after the 1st restart. Any subsequent restarts of my system didn't give me the 3-4 minute wait time. I don't know if it's the updated the Kernel that makes that happen, or if it happens wether you install the updated kernel or not. That much I can't say. Hope that helps.

I installed update with this guide on retail 10.5.0 (on GA P35 DS4) Successfully.

I restart I waited few mins than restarted manually , Second did with Safe option -x

After that absolutely no problem .

System Xbench CPU score jumped from 138 to 151 for Q6600 with stock Speed 2.4 Ghz

Also Successfully installed Leopard Graphic update

post-76244-1202856011_thumb.jpg

Same here. I can't show my memory (4x 512MB DDR2-533MHz RAM). But everything else looks Ok. I can show informationa about a lot other details.

Oh - and btw. when I launch the software-update now, I get this:

WF1202777905W47b0ef31a3124-Bild6.png

I will NOT try that :D I'm sure it will roast my installation...

WHAT'S THAT................JAPANESE ?!?

Sorry!