-Accessing Applications Folder from Stacks will freeze my Machine

Did you restore AppleSMBIOS.kext?

So far, I have to:

1. Restore AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

2. Restore AppleSMBIOS.kext.

3. Re-install Sound.

Kalyway 10.5.1, update to 10.5.2
System Version:	Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31)
Kernel Version:	Darwin 9.2.0 (Vanilla kernel)
Mobo: ECS 950G-M3
Processor: Intel E2140
RAM: Kingston Value 2x1GB PC5300
Hard Drive: Seagate 160GB Sata II
Video Card: Pixelview 7600 GS Ultimate 256MB
Sound: onboard Realtek 883
LAN: onboard Lan Realtek RTL8110SC
Xbench: 106.89 w/ HD and 130.37 w/o HD

OK, I took the plunge. See specs in Sig.

I'm at the point of rebooting, after following netkas/devin's great tutorial, but I wanted to check in on something first...

The command line from the tutorial...

"while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"

... what does it specifically do? I thought it was a running script that checks and removes this particular kext. Am I right? Because I checked the extensions folder after the install, breaking the script, and changing the dsmos line, and the PowerManagement kext is still there.

Any insight on this would be appreciated before I do the reboot.

Thanks. :D

OK, I took the plunge. See specs in Sig.

I'm at the point of rebooting, after following netkas/devin's great tutorial, but I wanted to check in on something first...

The command line from the tutorial...

"while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"

... what does it specifically do? I thought it was a running script that checks and removes this particular kext. Am I right? Because I checked the extensions folder after the install, breaking the script, and changing the dsmos line, and the PowerManagement kext is still there.

Any insight on this would be appreciated before I do the reboot.

Thanks. :D

Did you do it with administrator privileges? Type "sudo bash" and hit enter, then enter your password. Then run the script.

... what does it specifically do?

It's just a while done loop, which you can break with CTRL-C. It will sleep for one second, then recursively force remove the kext. Repeat until break. Effectively it just deletes the kext every second.

Did you do a 'sudo -s' before this step? (you need to be root to delete a kext).

Can we noobs get a quick "How To" on this? ;)
You could use "Kext Helper" if you use Kalyway. There's many tutorial to install kext. I will send you the link, check your PM.
OK, I took the plunge. See specs in Sig.I'm at the point of rebooting, after following netkas/devin's great tutorial, but I wanted to check in on something first...The command line from the tutorial..."while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done" ... what does it specifically do? I thought it was a running script that checks and removes this particular kext. Am I right? Because I checked the extensions folder after the install, breaking the script, and changing the dsmos line, and the PowerManagement kext is still there.Any insight on this would be appreciated before I do the reboot.Thanks. :D
I broke my Leopard when I mess around with this.You better do exactly as tutorial.

hi there,

thanks to everyone's contributions , always appreciate everyone's work and help...

I got halfway through step4 and the machine hardlocked and wasted my install. I forgot to take a screenie of the panic though :D

anyone with a 680i board find a way around this ?

I'm using kalyway 10.5.1, nothing except GUID boot manager was selected during the intial install.

thank you for your time

-- 10.5.2 Update Installation Guide --

For Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Chipset Motherboards + EFI

It's just a while done loop, which you can break with CTRL-C. It will sleep for one second, then recursively force remove the kext. Repeat until break. Effectively it just deletes the kext every second.

Did you do a 'sudo -s' before this step? (you need to be root to delete a kext).

Thanks for the info. I did do sudo -s. So why would the kext still be there? I'm going ahead with the reboot. Will post back results.

Here's what happened...

Rebooted. Crash! But...

Did -v and saw that there were errors with EHCI... oops. I forgot about that.

I tried booting -v -r -x and got in.

Reinstalled lastet iousbfamily framework. Rebooted. Could not get in safe mode. Rebooted again. Got in.

Reinstalled PCGenUSBEHCI_303.4.5.kext per (i forgot his handle)'s instructions and...

BooYah! 10.5.2 working. Only problem seems to be the often reported About this Mac problems. I'm going to try the graphics update, next. Will post results.

HI

Ok, I did the install again and everything seems to be ok except system profiler doesn't show the "hardware" info in the opening pane. I reinstalled AppleSMBios.kext using "kext helper" from the backup folder provided with the Kalyway 10.5.1 installer, and rebooted. It still isn't working.

Any ideas?

Pandar

HI

Ok, I did the install again and everything seems to be ok except system profiler doesn't show the "hardware" info in the opening pane. I reinstalled AppleSMBios.kext using "kext helper" from the backup folder provided with the Kalyway 10.5.1 installer, and rebooted. It still isn't working.

Any ideas?

Pandar

Try restore ACPI kext.

Here's what happened...

Rebooted. Crash! But...

Did -v and saw that there were errors with EHCI... oops. I forgot about that.

I tried booting -v -r -x and got in.

Reinstalled lastet iousbfamily framework. Rebooted. Could not get in safe mode. Rebooted again. Got in.

Reinstalled PCGenUSBEHCI_303.4.5.kext per (i forgot his handle)'s instructions and...

BooYah! 10.5.2 working. Only problem seems to be the often reported About this Mac problems. I'm going to try the graphics update, next. Will post results.

EDIT: Sleep & restart has never worked with this rig, Tiger or Leopard. Shutdown works once in a blue moon, usually from safe mode. Any direction on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: OK. Weird. Installed the graphics update, got "still waiting for boot device" after repeated reboots. Booted -v -r -x and got in. Booted again -v, got in. Finally did a finally boot sans boot option and... got in. So it works. Hmmm. What does booting into safe mode and/or single user mode fix? However, glad it works. Next stop is purchase that 8800GT I've been wanting. Will post results next week on that.

hi from the Ukraine,

I updated as netkas wrote. But on rebooting I got panic kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

Update SMBIOS, ACPI, HDA did not help. -x -f options did not help too...

So learning the panic I found that problem was in IOPlatformPluginFamily. I restored from the 10.5.1.

All is Ok now...

Thanks and bye..

ps. I forgot, my book is Asus a6jc, Mac Os installed on USB HDD (320 GB). (1st partition 80gb HFS+, 2nd partition NTFS, MBR EFI).

Kallyway 10.5.1.

internal keyboard did not work. I use external. The same was in 10.5.1.

it's all works

picture1052mw8.png

update from 10.5.1 kaly to 10.5.2

all kext from previous system works!!

thanks Devin :)

Spec:

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E6420 @ 2.13GHz

Motherboard: Asrock Conroe 1333-D667 Bios P 1.30

Chipset 945GC / ICH7

Audio: Realtek ALC888 - Azalia out (2 ch out only)

HDD : 80 GB PATA Seagate

Video: Nvidia 7300 GS 256MB - NVinject (all works)

Ram: 2Gb DDR2-667 V-gen

Mouse & Keyboard USB

DVD-RW Lite-on

My "About this mac" window never showed correct information, even before of the update.

Always showed my processor as "3.6GHz unknown processor" (the clock is right, but is a Core 2 Quad Q6600) and my memory appears as 667MHz instead of 1066MHz.

By the way, I tryed many differents AppleSMBIOS.kexts but never got it right :)

Same here. I can't show my memory (4x 512MB DDR2-533MHz RAM). But everything else looks Ok. I can show informationa about a lot other details.Oh - and btw. when I launch the software-update now, I get this:WF1202777905W47b0ef31a3124-Bild6.pngI will NOT try that ;) I'm sure it will roast my installation...
It won't roast your installation, it's working properly, I installed it without problems. After the first restart I got a kernel panic, but after a 2nd restart everything is working.
My "About this mac" window never showed correct information, even before of the update.Always showed my processor as "3.6GHz unknown processor" (the clock is right, but is a Core 2 Quad Q6600) and my memory appears as 667MHz instead of 1066MHz.By the way, I tryed many differents AppleSMBIOS.kexts but never got it right :)

The install method presented by Netkas here is working properly for me [as for many others, too... ].If for some reason it's not working for you, try this torrent, it might help.

You can try the attached AppleSMBIOS.kext, it's working properly for me. The only thing that's still not working (after the 10.5.2 and Leopard Graphics Update) is sleep - I'm not sure if it's a kext problem or from something else.

My system:

CPU: C2D E6400

MB: ASUS P5B Deluxe

RAM: 4 GB Geil @ 800 MHz

Video: GeForce 7900 GS

Good luck! ;)

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

For anyone with an AMD nforce4 mobo, if you follow everything on this thread you'll get it up and running the only extra for me was deleting ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin which is located inside IOPlatform.kext.

I wouldn't do the graphics install, monitor hangs for 2 or 3 mins before desktop comes up, also bad news for anyone hoping differently the nforce4 lan problem is still there.

Thanks everyone on this thread for the info.