[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

Almost successful!

When I tried to replace kexts as instructed from my backup, nowt seemed to work, even safe mode. Fix, boot into my XP install, access the drive with MacDrive, and replace ACPIPPlatform and SMBIOS from there. Reboot into safe mode, all was well. Boot normally, PANIC!

My initial panic upon reboot appeared to be caused by PS2Nub within ACPIPPlatform.kext. Boot in safe mode (-x), remove PS2Nub and all is well.

SMBIOS.kext appears to fix the "About this MAC/More Info" crash, with all being reported as usual there.

Well, except for my PS/2 keyboard. Currently typing this in Safe Mode as my keyboard works here....

NVInject tested and all working well, just need to do the graphic update now, and splash out on a USB keyboard! (Or USB-PS/2 adaptor, as I quite like this keyboard of mine....), or fiddle further later today to see if I can persuade PS/2 to work.

Funky!

"I know you are already in "sudo" from cd.. so let me rewrite it..

Booting off the Leopard DVD to terminal, doesn't understand "nano""

the terminal in the cd-booted environment is very limited. try "sudo chroot /Volumes/YOUROSXVOLUME"

this means that termial uses your osx volume as the root directory. all commands will work then, but be sure to use the right paths.

sudo su ; passwd root ;

yeah, took me a while too, and I grew up on unix,....

for backup, still like tar ,...

but you non, if it don't boot,

so on second partition have a carbon copy installed,...

Couple of questions.

Whats the best way to backup and restore that /System/Library/Extensions/ folder?

and how do we change the root password? I never set it. I set my own password.

When I did the update, I saved the Extensions folder to a USB flash memory. But I had trouble putting it back. And so I crashed out my setup. No biggie since I just put it together today.

Hi =-Devin-=,

thanks for this quide man, it worked like a charm!!

I had to restore those kexts:

- ATINDRV (10.4.5 ver. for x1600 mobile),

- AppleHDA (Tarugas mod for ALC861),

- AppleSMBIOS (detect correct FSB speed),

- AppleACPIPlafrom (internal touchpad and keyboard - ACPIPS2Nub.kext does not work with 10.5.2).

Thanks and regards,

Mariusz.

I just ran through the update process on a clean 10.5.1 Kalyway install... after installing the update and restarting, the system seems to hang at the startup screen (Apple logo and spinning wheel)... anyone else getting this?

I'm experiencing this exact same problem too. After botching the 10.5.2 upgrade this morning (I just went ahead with the install and got the kernel panic), I did a fresh reinstall from Kalyway, then ran through the instructions list by this thread's OP. I did the trick of creating a new user, deleting their user folder and copying back in the backed-up user folder from my hosed 10.5.1 install this morning. Rebooted, and now I'm stuck at an Apple logo with the grey background and the spinning progress wheel.

Booting with -v tells me that the last thing it does before doing nothing else is:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 clusters IO buffer headers

So, not really sure what to do. I'll leave it for a while, in case its doing something important, then maybe try repairing permissions next, after booting from the install DVD?

Anyone have any bright ideas?

EDIT: Repairing the disk permissions doesn't fix it.

Almost there, I think!

I can only boot into safe mode without a kernel panic though. Single user mode will also only work with safe mode.

"Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.3.13/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407"

Any ideas?

Installation was from ToH RC2, manual upgrade to EFI/vanilla, 10.5.1 via software update

(Core 2 E4400, Gigabyte 965P-DS3, 7800GT if that's relevant.)

UPDATE: Booting with the -f flag seems to work, so all is well!

Thank you very much Devin/netkas/everyone! ;)

Yes, following the instructions worked as expected. I backed up the whole Extensions folder but not sure however what to replace after the install (I didn't add any kext manually - only went through johnnie carcinogen's installer for beta 10.5.2 kexts - nvidia 8600gts and azalia audio patch). I ran the script, installed and it worked.

After, I noticed that the NVinject.kext was still there so I did not actually replace any file from the updated Extensions folder. Also, after booting I installed the Graphics Update without any issues.

Currently, the only problem is incorrect processor frequency and memory frequency detection and I also need to re-patch the audio driver.

Before the installation I used a P5L-1394 board, a Core 2 Duo E6400 Processor, 2.5GB of RAM and a GeForce 8600 GTS. I ran the vanilla kernel with pc-efi from the Kalyway disk. The partitions were GUID.

hi there,

i think about upgrading when i´m at home from work. i use kalyways 10.5.1 with efi in mbr...

i read about trouble with ps2 after upgrading. i got my machine on a kvm, this means i´m tied to ps2.

are there solutions yet?

thanks in advance!

smorf

My "About This Mac" incorrectly shows 4GHz. Clicking more info say that there was an error while gathering this information.

-David

Same thing to my rig.

System profiler hardware say "There was an error while gathering this information.". Any fix yet?

Need to reinstall Sound.

Kalyway 10.5.1, update to 10.5.2
System Version:	Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31)
Kernel Version:	Darwin 9.2.0 (Vanilla kernel)
Mobo: ECS 950G-M3
Processor: Intel E2140
RAM: Kingston Value 2x1GB PC5300
Hard Drive: Seagate 160GB Sata II
Video Card: Pixelview 7600 GS Ultimate 256MB
Sound: onboard Realtek 883
LAN: onboard Lan Realtek RTL8110SC
Xbench: 106.89 w/ HD and 130.37 w/o HD

For all Kalyway-users: think it was not mentioned here in this thread already - there is a hack from

Kalyway with 10.5.2 already!

Just search for ComboUpdate on the bay...

kalyway_hack_10.5.2 ...

it will update your 10.5.1 leopard hackintosh

your current video sound and network would work after update !!!

good luck

haven't been test on 10.5.0 !

report your sucess!

Sadly I am at work and cannot try out... ;)

What I am wondering: has anybody a GeForce 8800 GT running with the drivers from here:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=15 ?

Is the Hackintosh still running fine after the graphics update?