[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

Thank you =-Devin-= for this guide

I followed the steps and its working fine for me now.

I had to recover some Kexts from my backup and did permission repair on the volume, then I rebooted with -v -x -f and restored my screen settings. After that I was able to boot normally without any boot parameters.

Here are the names for the Kexts I recovered

AppleAC97Audio

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAzaliaAudio

AppleSMBIOS

dsmos

RealtekR1000

My graphics is still working fine with some minor mouse artifacts -esp with firefox- and I still have the same Suspend/Restart hangup issue I had with 10.5.1. if someone has a solution for this then Thanks in advance.

My USB external disk that I use for backup is detected and working fine, but I had to disconnect it once when I rebooted and it froze at that blue screen before the Login window.

Hey Guys , great tutorials and thanks for everyones help here, its what makes a great community.

After a day of reinstalls , I got my system up and running, however, I am suffering from the 3 minute wait at boot (was a black screen before I installed nvinject then it became a colored screen)

I am running the new kernel here is my uname -a : Darwin xxxxx-xxxxx-mac-pro.local 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Now from my understanding , and reading the forums :D , is that the was a new 9.2 posted that fixed it, I'm going to install it and report back.

If that works then it time to hack back in my sound and maybe even the wireless ( since its the only thing that maya seems to want to bind to) , it also seems that the old 10.5 Applesmb doesnt work quite right as it wont detect the hardware correctly at all in the profiler ( mobo and cpu).

EDIT1: tried with older 10.5.1 kernels and both of the new 10.5.2 kernels and im still getting the 3 minute black screen

EDIT2: I have a much better smbios now which I grabbed off of netkas.org , but to make things easier here it is http://tinyurl.com/2y94gr, It still wont recognize my 6600, but at least the speed is now correct and alot more of the profiler is working.

EDIT 3: Got it, After trying all the kernels and none of them working, and after having seen it work for so many people, I decided it was time to investigate a bit further. I sat and thought about it and came to the conclusion that with the exception of sound , video and the appleIntelCPU kext, I was running a very vanilla system. So I said, lets start breaking stuff !!! I replaced the kexts in the system with the ones found in this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167 I grabbed them from the file labeled archive.zip.

Long story short, I reboot and everything is working like a charm, but I stress that this is after I tried every 9.2 kernel out there and it was not working. So hopefully this will help someone else out there finally solve what can be a very bizarre problem. Especially if the posted solutions that should work don't!!! Hope this helped someone

oh wow, i was careless, and didnt put the kexts back into the folders.

now my ps/2 keyboard and tocuhpad fails to work.

USB MICE WORKS?!

too bad i fail to have a usb keyboard...

TIME TO REINSTALL.

what a pain in the butt.

why cant apple just make leopard for the PC?

I installed using Devins instructions to the letter and it went perfect for me, system is in my signature (the 8 core beast).

I also did the graphics update and that went fine.

The only thing I am unsure of is the graphics thing.

In my system profiler it still shows that I have NVinject 0.2.1 so that leads me to believe that I am NOT using the final release drivers that came with the update?

Anyone have any ideas about that?

Hi, friend!

Learning from HCL 10.5.1 wiki I bought compatible hardware,

so a GigaByte MoBo (GA-P35-DS3) & some other stuff like:

E6750 Intel CPU

4 x 2 GB Corsair Dual Channel RAM

NV 8600GT 512GB

1 x 500GB WD SATA

1 x 500GB Samsung SATA

an external 2.5" 160 GB Buffalo HD (for Time Machine)

and a (hopefully) silent Antec Sonata II EC Lifestyle box

Your guide will help me to do allright (let's hope!)

the hardware will arrive soon..

I have always an AMD-LEO-Hackintosh running.

But I started first in TIGER with it. Therefore I'm some experienced.

But no one knows --- what happens in that new situation.

I will report here my new experiences in the near future.

Thank you for your guidance!

I installed using Devins instructions to the letter and it went perfect for me, system is in my signature (the 8 core beast).I also did the graphics update and that went fine.The only thing I am unsure of is the graphics thing.In my system profiler it still shows that I have NVinject 0.2.1 so that leads me to believe that I am NOT using the final release drivers that came with the update?Anyone have any ideas about that?
This update was not a driver. it was simply a graphics update, to increase its performance. OpenGL is faster for me now.Hope this clears that up :D
Hi, friend!Learning from HCL 10.5.1 wiki I bought compatible hardware,so a GigaByte MoBo (GA-P35-DS3) & some other stuff like:E6750 Intel CPU4 x 2 GB Corsair Dual Channel RAMNV 8600GT 512GB1 x 500GB WD SATA1 x 500GB Samsung SATAan external 2.5" 160 GB Buffalo HD (for Time Machine)and a (hopefully) silent Antec Sonata II EC Lifestyle boxYour guide will help me to do allright (let's hope!)the hardware will arrive soon..I have always an AMD-LEO-Hackintosh running.But I started first in TIGER with it. Therefore I'm some experienced.But no one knows --- what happens in that new situation.I will report here my new experiences in the near future.Thank you for your guidance!
No problem! Best of luck to you!
oh wow, i was careless, and didnt put the kexts back into the folders.now my ps/2 keyboard and tocuhpad fails to work.USB MICE WORKS?!too bad i fail to have a usb keyboard...TIME TO REINSTALL.what a pain in the butt.why cant apple just make leopard for the PC?
I wish Leopard was for the PC. Maybe in Mac OS XI (11) :D

Anyway, there are many posts here to fix that. Go back a few pages and look, and read up.I also believe I posted it on the first page too... :) But I may be wrong.

pls help me out guys..
Whats the problem bro?Tell us what you are having trouble with, I will try to help you.
k.. it shows 4ghz for me 2..here is the problem.. now when i shutdown, the system does NOT power off.. i did not hav this problem earlier..pls help someone..!!
Ok,I see what you are having problems with now.You do NOT have to replace any NVinject stuff (kexts).You may have to and probably should replace your (backed up) AppleSIMBIOS.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext Hopefully you made copies of those and can just place them back into your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and repair permissions before you reboot.It will ask you to authorize when you try to drag the file in, and all you have to do is type in your password and it will allow you to replace the files.When I copied these back to my extensions folder, I repaired the permissions and rebooted and it worked perfectly.Thats exactly what I did, I am total noob at terminal commands so I just did it the old fashioned way and dragged them into the extensions folder, authorized, repaired permissions, and rebooted.

One last thing you may think about is what version of NVinject you have installed>?

I just updated mine to 0.2.1 yesterday and everything got better for me in the graphics department.

Check out netkas site for the instructions Click Here

You will need to register and download Apple Xcode 3.0 to get the Apple Plist Editor if you need to make any changes to your cards "plist" so it uses the proper memory hook.

How are you guys fixing the OS after a kernel panic such as this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00430ce1) : "Unable to find driver for this platform: : \"ACPI\". \n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.3.13/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatforme.cpp :1407

Debugger called : <panic>

Are you booting with different switches? If so, which switches specifically?

Then how are you restoring the backups?

I am getting the same error. without looking through tens of pages of thread, did anyone have a solution yet?

thanks for ur reply.. will surely try.. sadly i did NOT back up my kexts, but its ok, since i did not need to modify them.. i am still on beta kexts for my 8600gt.. will fix that too..

i can replace the kexts u said from kaly's dvd right?

I would think you can back up from the kexts on Kaly's DVD but I would not know how to go about extracting them from the DVD, I have not yet done that and dont know how its done.

Report a success from ToH 10.5.1!!

Thanks a lot Netkas & Devin ;)

Steps:

1) Follow this topic, carefully. Recover the 3 habituals suspects kexts: AppleACPIPlatform, AppleSMBIOS, dsmos

2) Repair permissions via diskutil

3) Reboot

4) VERY IMPORTANT: Cross all my fingers! :D and... don't work :wacko: , I got the boot cicle situation...

5) Hate my self...

6) 4:00am :( and then... I got a very crazy idea!

7) Seek my old pen drive with the 9a581 path

7) Boot with my ToH RC2 DVD

8) Open a terminal

9) Run path via ./9a581PostPath.sh, proced as usual...

10) Reboot...

11) Cross al my fingers... again... and... BOOT!!!! I love that grey apple

12) Work all like a charm!

13) Install Graphics Update via Software Update

14) Reboot...

15) And... SUCCESS!!!

I know... I don't have the last kernel... but... who cares??? Is running.... :D

So, anyway if anybody can tell me a way to put the last kernel... I apreciated...

Excuse me if I quote one of my favorite games of '07 here: "This was a triumph. I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS!"

I am now running Mac OS X 10.5.2, with Vanilla Kernel 9.2 (Yup the updated one!), GUID, EFI and all that stuff! Just wanted to report to all of you that on my system (check specs in my Signature) I just did the following:

1) Procure the necessary files: Search at "The Bay" (You know, where everybody says "Yarr!", drink Grog and eat oranges to fight scurvy) for the files: you are looking for Kalyway's ComboUpdate for 10.5.2 as well as the other file, the Updated Kernel (I can't link here, but do a search for "kalyway" for the first file, and a search for "kernel" for the second file - make sure you sort by date so you can find it easily ;) )

2) Once you have the files, BACKUP ANY IMPORTANT DATA - Everything in Hackintosh is YMMV, so if you are playing the game, might as well know the rules. Only once you've done this, you can proceed to installing the Combo Update (KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg) - Yes there are other files in your download, don't worry about them.

3) Once that's done and it asks you to restart, leave the window open and open up Disk Utility. Why? Because repairing permissions is never a bad idea. I don't know if it's necessary, but I did it and my system is working perfectly with no hitches.

4) Restart your system by clicking the Button. Once you do this, you'll see the Apple Screen, and after a long while, the system will reboot. THIS IS NORMAL! Don't panic! Once it reboots, it'll stay in the Apple Screen again, and then everything will go black. Very black. The system will stay that way for several minutes (some people say up to 3-4 minutes, it was about 2-3 for me), but after that period in which no doubt you've been holding your breath, you'll see the Blue desktop signaling that it lives! And after a few moments, your wallpaper will pop up and congrats, you are now in 10.5.2! :D

Now, if you don't want the new Kernel, you are done here. Go make yourself a sandwich. If you do want to install the new Kernel though, do the following:

5) After doing all of above, crack open the new "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg.zip" file. Inside there'll be a file called "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg". Run this, and you'll have 2 options. Select the appropriate for your system - there's a description when you select either that'll help you chose. In my case, I chose the first one for Vanilla Kernel.

6) Reboot when prompted. It'll boot back into your desktop, no fuzz, and you'll have the 9.2.0 Darwin kernel. Congratulations! YOU NEW KING OF FIGHTERS!

So there you have it. Mind you, I have not installed the Graphics Update yet, not until I hear some confirmation that it won't screw up my Install. But if you are not hard pressed for that Graphics Update, those are the steps I followed to get my system to be up-to-date to the latest version of OS X, with the latest Kernel.

Hope that helps any of you! Cheers and good luck!

Followed this and everything's spot on. Kept my sound drivers etc, everything reports as it should etc.

20080216-metutqmyh7yj1d2nthpi6qqm3j.jpg

All's well.