[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

so i did the update w/ kaly, efi, mbr, vanilla thinking that i could just do it (thought that was the reason for vanilla and efi) but it broke my system. I managed to get it back working via the apple site combo_update but I didnt backup my AppleSMBIOS.kext...... anyway to get that back?

How are you guys fixing the OS after a kernel panic such as this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00430ce1) : "Unable to find driver for this platform: : \"ACPI\". \n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.3.13/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatforme.cpp :1407

Debugger called : <panic>

Are you booting with different switches? If so, which switches specifically?

Then how are you restoring the backups?

What is the best way to restore my kext from /System/Library/Extensions_backup/ folder

with the finder ? with just copy and paste ?

or with the terminal ?

should i make something with the permissions

that are all the questions i ask me

thanks

Easiest way: kexthelper b7

Hi,

I´ve got it working so far with a few problems. After installation I run into Kernel Panics directly after Darwin Bootloader. After one run with -v -x this problem resolved itself. A few other problems (e.g. sound) I got working by reinstalling appleHDA.kext.

Though, two problems remain :

1.) Usb storages not working after update. They are visible in System Profiler but wont get mounted. Usb Mouse presents no problem.

2.) After loading screen (the grey one with spinning wheel) the monitor turns black and keeps black a looong time (about 3 minutes) without really doing anything. Looks dead. Then suddenly the desktop loads and is running with normal speed.

So far I replaced ACPIPlatform, NVinjectGO, kernel (from kalyway 10.5.2 combo, vanilla, 9.1.0 sleep and speedstep), dsmos, asmbios. At last tried IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass from Kalyway install DVD (do not have so original ones from ToH or 10.5.1 update but try to find them.)

If in the meanwhile anybody has an idea regarding these two problems I would appreciate it !

Greetings

Edit:

Not working with original ToH IOUSB*.kext neither. Usb devices get loaded by manually invoking (with error)

sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit: Undefined in symbol set: __ZN14IOPMrootDomain24systemPowerEventOccurredEPK8OSSymbolP8OSObject
/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit: Undefined in symbol set: __ZN14IOPMrootDomain24systemPowerEventOccurredEPK8OSSymbolj
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext loaded successfully

though. Not a ideal solution ...

Worked for me. Had to restore AppleACPIPlatform.kext (sleep, reboot, etc) and AppleSMBIOS.kext (about this mac, system profiler) and a kext for my audio chip. Installed the graphics update too, with no problems, and my 8800 GTS 320MB is now running on GL version 2.0 NVIDIA-1.5.24. :D

Sorry I was gone for so long guys. I have school. :D

Looks pretty good. Glad to see so many working installs!

As for the ones that did not work, I'm really sorry. Try reading the installation instructions again.

One wrong step could take down the system.

Please, continue to ask questions if needed. I can answer only what I know.

Thanks guys for your support, and thanks for reading my tutorial.

And, a big thanks to all the people posting here, helping people when I cannot, or while I am gone. Again, a big thanks to you guys!

kalyway_hack_10.5.2ComboUpdate does anyone know where I can get this that's not a torrent? my iSP blocks torrents.... =(

Maybe someone can upload it to Rapidshare / Megaupload / MegaShare or one of those sites for you. I would do it but 1) I'm still downloading the torrent and 2) I have a very slow upload - 256kb up - so it'd take me hours to do so, otherwise I'd help out.

Question for all of you guys: would it be smarter to use the Kalyway "official" updater to 10.5.2 if I'm running Kaly's 10.5.1 - all with GUID, EFI and Vanilla Kernel and all that stuff? Yay or nay?

Maybe someone can upload it to Rapidshare / Megaupload / MegaShare or one of those sites for you. I would do it but 1) I'm still downloading the torrent and 2) I have a very slow upload - 256kb up - so it'd take me hours to do so, otherwise I'd help out.

Question for all of you guys: would it be smarter to use the Kalyway "official" updater to 10.5.2 if I'm running Kaly's 10.5.1 - all with GUID, EFI and Vanilla Kernel and all that stuff? Yay or nay?

depends if you want the kernel from 10.5.2 or your old one. Apparently Kalyway also released the 10.5.2 kernel just recently so you may be able to install it later with that. I am thinking about waiting a week because a 'best' method will be out by then.

depends if you want the kernel from 10.5.2 or your old one. Apparently Kalyway also released the 10.5.2 kernel just recently so you may be able to install it later with that. I am thinking about waiting a week because a 'best' method will be out by then.

True that. About what I want, I am running the Vanilla kernel as it is right now, so might as well update it, so I'm downloading both torrents. Any special things I need to worry about when installing the ComboUpdate by Kaly? Or just run it, reboot and presto?

Sorry I was gone for so long guys. I have school. ;)

Looks pretty good. Glad to see so many working installs!

As for the ones that did not work, I'm really sorry. Try reading the installation instructions again.

One wrong step could take down the system.

Please, continue to ask questions if needed. I can answer only what I know.

Thanks guys for your support, and thanks for reading my tutorial.

And, a big thanks to all the people posting here, helping people when I cannot, or while I am gone. Again, a big thanks to you guys!

Devin thanks for all your work on this update:)

I do have a question. After I run the graphics update I cannot get past the blue screen after reboot. I have gma950, some people (who also have gma950) have said it booted to the desktop but their resolution was wrong. Any Idea how I/we can fix this?

This is crazy because gma950 is in the macbooks and under kalyway no extra patch is needed!

Would installing the gma950 package from tiger fix it?

Anyone? Please :(

Hi Devin, ditto big thanks. Did follow it to the letter but it didn't work for me. The key thing is I know well enough to back everything up before trying anything new. I'm wondering how many people out there with GUID partition table/EFI/Vanilla kernel have got this thing working. Tempted to wait for an updated Kalyway updater.

I have GUID + EFI + Vanilla Kernel and I finnaly got i! I used the instructions from this post, installed my video card and sound driver prior to update. I used Kext Helper to move my backup files.

My overclocked E8400 shows as it should 3.42, probably because I moved back SMBIOS..

I had to turn off ACHI in order to boot and it seems like it doesn't work anymore.

At first, video driver are still working but not network and sound.

After re-install of kext sound and network is working.

I have also install, after, 3 other updates from software update without a hitch(iLife, Quicktime, Video).

Thanks all