[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

you need to use the bash shell for that while loop to work.

OK I tried it on my P35C-DS3R and it works fine. After control+C, I can see that it stops correctly.

Now on my VAIO laptop, I keep getting the syntax error at `done'

is there something different going on with Terminal and my VAIO laptop? I am currently in 10.5.2 now on my VAIO, I just want to know why this script doesn't work in terminal on this laptop.

I had to frantically delete the cpupower kext as soon as it appeared, and I mean double fast, because it only takes 6 seconds for it to generate the mkext and then........poopy on your system.

My heart was racing as it was the 3rd time I was going for it. And finally, I succeeded. I never want to do that again, that's why I want to really make this script work, just incase.

Please let me know if there is a fix for my terminal and syntax error for my VAIO NR160E-S

Cheers

Prof. Synthology

for me it worked gr8 i am using iAtkos 1.0i with Gigabyte p35 S3 and 8800GT i just had to force quit 10.5.2 installer because it stop @33% and run it again also after restart system had no HDD access but i waited and looks like after 2-3 minutes HDD started to work for some time (like if was repairing permissions or something) and after restart all is working fine i just updated graphic driver and still all is stable

Cinebench score is also up and opengl screen saver now is 100% stable...

To report successful upgrade using this guide and systemprofiler.zip from this post. I didn´t have to replace any kexts after.

And after update, use this ACPIPS2Nub and THIS vanilla ACPIPlatform kext, and put PowerManagement.bundle in /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

PS2_Batt.zip

And for U guys having problem in SystemProfiler download this:

SystemProfiler.zip

Just drag and drop inside /System/Library/

And it should work again

Success here, too. Worked flawlessly with the given guide and System Profiler detects the CPU and RAM correctly without having to replace anything :thumbsup_anim:

Thus there are two glitches:

Also i´ve replaced my AppleSMBIOS.kext the advanced info of the profiler gives me the "error gathering hardware information" message AND

Graphics update seemed to work nicely on my x1950GT, resolution change, dual monitors, e.g. BUT: it broke my CI & QE support, reinstalling Bryonas driver couldn´t do the job either .... i guess i´ll have to wait a while :thumbsdown_anim:

Works on a Toshiba Satellite X205-S9349

After reboot it looked like it was stuck at the spinning circle but there was a lot of HD activity. Then presented me with my login screen. Didn't notice that the Keyboard and touchpad were inop since I am using the biometric fingerprint reader.

Hooked up a USB mouse and Keyboard and reinstalled the AppleACPIPlatform using KextHelper B7, rebooted and everything is fine.

Running ToH RC2 wih EFI v8, vanilla, etc.

Of course sound & wifi never worked so I use a USB audio headset since I am in Iraq.

Applied the rest of the updates afterwards since I have a ghost image of the HD, everything is fine. Double checked by opening all of the applications and utilities.

Thank you for the guide Devin, I know a lot of people appreciate this.

I am going home in a week and definitely will be buying a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. Nice clean OS, not too many patches to install unlike Vista. SP1 came to us on a CD from MS to give feedback, definitely will decline on the WSUS until more work is done on R&D.

For me it went away after the 1st restart. Any subsequent restarts of my system didn't give me the 3-4 minute wait time. I don't know if it's the updated the Kernel that makes that happen, or if it happens wether you install the updated kernel or not. That much I can't say. Hope that helps.

Yep, updated kernel will get rid of this, had the same problem with toh 9.1.0 kernel, 1,5 minutes black screen, each time before login, updated to Kallway 9.2.0 patch kernel (have pentium D), that made it go away :(

Yep, updated kernel will get rid of this, had the same problem with toh 9.1.0 kernel, 1,5 minutes black screen, each time before login, updated to Kallway 9.2.0 patch kernel (have pentium D), that made it go away :(

Dammit, i have a nforce mobo.. updating to the 9.2 makes the black screen go away but im only able to use 1 core with the 9.2 kernel. so i have to stay with 9.1 kernel

Tried the method at the beginning of the post on Abit IP35E - E6750 - Kalyway 10.5.1 Vanilla GUID EFI and it worked successfully. Thank you all for your efforts.

But Sleep which did not work still does not (unable to wake up) and now the shutdown and restart is also broken. It worked perfectly in 10.5.1. I replaced only two kexts - AppleSMBios.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Should I use the Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext instead of the older one from kalyway? Any help would be appreciated. I use a USB mouse and an Apple USB keyboard (No PS2 device).

Just wanted to report in that thanks to this guide, my update went nearly flawlessly. The first time it booted, it hung at the grey apple logo, so I restarted it. It booted up nicely with no special boot options (I did do a -v to see if it would hang again)! I also installed the graphics update with not problems. The only issue I had was my audio, which to fix I just needed to recopy in the ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext.

Oh yeah, and until I copied my old AppleSMBIOS.kext over, the system profiler was broken. Now it works like a charm! Yes!

Just to note: I also have all my SATA ports working (all 8 of em...). I've noticed confusion with these... and they all work on my motherboard. I also have AHCI enabled in the bios.

Thanks so much Devin!

Sucessfully Updated! (Using the Instructions!)

Samsung R70 Damaya

8600m GS (NVinject 10.5.2) fully working

Ethernet (fully working)

WLAN (fully working with replaced miniPCI-Express card, recognized as Airport!)

Bluetooth (fully working)

Touchpad, Keyboard (fully working after replacing with old kext)

PowerManagement, Battery meter (fully working with replaced PowerManagement.bundle)

PCMCIA (not working so far)

Card Reader (not working so far)

System is very stable and booting is insanely fast!

post-161519-1202892323_thumb.jpg

Success, thanks to this guide (and Netkas ;):):star_sunglasses: )

Backed up all extension folder, followed the guide.

Putted back dsmos and AppleACPIPlatform (not sure if necessary for this one but I did it)

Only needed to reinstall audio driver (AppleHDAPatcher17 + 882.txt)

Did Leopard graphique update too (downloaded dmg, no sofware update), no problem.

Kaliway 10.5.1 GUID + EFIv8

P5W DH deluxe

E6600 @3Ghz - Ram 4 GB

Nvidia 7600 GT silencer

(Have the same frequency and Mac info 'problem' as reported many times)

Thanks a lot to everybody that made this possible (and easy !)

Hi!

After i've updated Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 by netkas' method my ethernet card and audio don't work (i have Broadcom 440 ethernet card on my laptop and Realtek HDA ALC883)

i've tried to install ALC883 pkg from Kalyway install dvd, but there was no result.

Which kexts should i restore to have them work?

P.S. Now i have no opportunity to download kalyway's 10.5.2 patch

Hi!

After i've updated Kalyway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 by netkas' method my ethernet card and audio don't work (i have Broadcom 440 ethernet card on my laptop and Realtek HDA ALC883)

i've tried to install ALC883 pkg from Kalyway install dvd, but there was no result.

Which kexts should i backup to have them work?

P.S. Now i have no opportunity to download kalyway's 10.5.2 patch

You really didn't think hard about this one did you? Backups are done before patching...

P.S If you can't download the patch, how can you write on this forum?

i've backuped whole /System/Library/Extensions directory before update (in previous post i meant "to restore" not to "backup" :(

P.S i'm using iphone to write there

Glad to hear it. About the backup that is, not the iphone :)

Whats the motherboard you have? Maybe a good idea to put this in your sig. See my sig for a suggestion. It really helps to put your questions in context, and speed up the troubleshooting process.

Groovy! All working happily here, well except audio. Not had a chance to reinstall kexts for that yet. (ALC 888).

PS2 now working happily thanks to an updated PS2Nub posted in another thread.

Had a few hassles getting that working, after fiddling and breaking the First Law of Debugging (not making only one change at a time), I could only get keyboard with forcing kext load on startup with the -f flag. Daft me forgot the golden rule of repairing permissions ect after fiddling around with kexts.

Anyway, all OK now.

Graphics update appeared to install OK (8600GT) and so far, so good. Not noticed any major performance increase in the GUI afterwards mind, but early days yet. Next task is to get the 8600 working via EFI strings rather than NVinject.

Woohoo!

Installation of the 10.5.2 update was pretty simple for me.

Backed up two kexts. AppleSMBIOS.kext, and the AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Followed the tutorial as normal until the time when it came to put the .kexts back and reboot. Thought about it, and decided that if I needed to put them back, I could under single user mode, so left the install as it was at that point, and rebooted. Everything came up fine.

Installed the graphics update, and rebooted into a corrupt screen. Ran safe mode, installed the HD 3870 fix (from this thread), rebooted in normal mode. All working, as far as I can tell. Shows up as 10.5.2 in the system info. I haven't checked the system profiler to see if everything's there or not, but I know the graphics card's detected properly with it's full 512Mb.

System:

Asus P5B

4Gb RAM

Saphire Radeon HD 3870 512Mb

Onboard AD1988A sound - Still only 2.1 out working. No 7.1 or input.

80Gb 7200rpm Maxtor Sata HDD

Optiarc 7170s Sata DVD writer

Microsoft USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Logitech MX Revolution

iAtkos 10.5.1 install with EFI patch.