[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

Success on a Notebook Sony SZ. It works fine. Im running Kalyway 10.5.1 with vanilla and EFI MBR. I restored only AppleSMBIOS and AppleACPIPlatform. And then, I tried Graphic Update and my Leo does boot but not show login window after rebooting, just blue screen. I cannot do anything.

on acer notebook 5220 i installed sucessfully (efi/guid/kalyway) . installed natit, applehda, appleacpisplatform after update. keyboard and trackpad not working anymore :wacko: anyone same problems? any fix? would be great to hear ...

cheerz

PS: what kext is for the input stuff (trackpad/mouse/keyboard)? please someone put this kext from 10.5.1 here?! thanx a LOT...

I've followed the steps in this exercise and had varied success.

(PS, I am a Mac noob)

I have made a backup of the extensions folder to the same partition. I followed the steps to get the update installed. Then, in the last step before rebooting, it says "move any KEXTS from the backups you made, back to the Extensions folder." OK.... What is that supposed to mean? Copy over all the kexts from the backup back into the extensions folder overwriting the ones that already exist? I'm lost at that point because I don't know specifically what that means to do.

If I need to just copy over the ones I need... how do I know which ones I need?!

After a first failed upgrade because I didn't backup that directory nor transfered anything back over, I reinstalled leopard and this time I followed all the steps and just copied back over the "AppleACPIPlatform,kext" then rebooted. I got some funky error about holding the power button down to restart the machine. This did absolutely nothing to fix that problem. I got past it by hitting F8 at the loading screen, then booting with -x. This booted half way then rebooted and loaded the OS completely with 10.5.2 showing. I copied back over the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the upgrade back to the original folder overwriting the 10.5.1 file, rebooted and got back to the same "Hold the power button.. etc." error screen.

I'm running an Acer Aspire am5630 q6600 quad core with ACPI turned off in the bios, installed using Kalaway 10.5.1 install + efi mbr + sse2 + vanilla

anyone else experiencing software issues after updating? Granted, I did update Quicktime, OSX, and leopard gfx. I think the quicktime update did this.

Issues for me:

-Mail Crashes upon exit.

-System Preferences crashes when you select the screen saver tab/button

-A black screen shows when i launch Front Row, then crashes if i select something

-DVD Player initialization error (error -70017)

-iMovie HD crashes upon start

-Numbers freezes on load (iWork 08)

-Toast 8 won't start

-iWeb 1.1.2 freeze on load (iWork 08)

-Pages Freezes on Load (iWork 08)

-Quicktime Crash

Im gonna try and replace quicktimecomponents to see if it helps.

EDIT: Yup, it was Quicktime. replacing Quicktimecomponents fixed everything.

on acer notebook 5220 i installed sucessfully (efi/guid/kalyway) . installed natit, applehda, appleacpisplatform after update. keyboard and trackpad not working anymore ;) anyone same problems? any fix? would be great to hear ...

cheerz

PS: what kext is for the input stuff (trackpad/mouse/keyboard)? please someone put this kext from 10.5.1 here?! thanx a LOT...

***First, THANKS so much for the guide :P:D I updated w/o replacing any of the .kexts and everything went fine.

On gma950 (Vaio VGN-110G) notebook.

intel core solo 1.83 ghz.

2.5 ram.

But my board and pad also no longer respond/work ;)

Many of us are having this problem. I posted a new thread about this here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87139

Let' see if we can get this worked out :D

After Graphic Update, my Leo does not show Login window or gives up booting on a while Apple screen. I repaired back some kexts and frameworks from a backup, and my Leo now can boot with verbose mode but not with normal mode. I thought verbose mode means just showing details, but something different between them?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

AFAIK you can use CoreDuo, Core2Duo, PentuimDualCore and Celeron 400 with the stock kernel (and EFI patch). Need to backup AppleSMBIOS, for correct hardware reporting in the sys profiler For laptop users: Keyboard & mouse would stop working unless you backup your AppleACPIplatform.kext and restore it before rebooting. This AppleACPIPlatform.kext (with PS2 support) doesnt work with stock kernels so you would have to backup your old kernel as well. Even if you are using ACPIPS2nub.kext wont work; this kext has to be recompiled for 10.5.2...
If I replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext before rebooting I get a kernal panic ( HOLD DOWN POWER BUTTON AND RESTART) and will not boot at all! It say's something like ACPI kext not found for this version of OS X.If I don't it will boot BUT no keyboard mouse support!HELP :o
So Post #49 does not work?
Yes, Thanks I got it fixed:) I installed the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the kext helper b7 app and everything worked!

******Anyone have a fix for about this mac crashing? After 5.2 update.*******

Couple of questions.

Whats the best way to backup and restore that /System/Library/Extensions/ folder?

and how do we change the root password? I never set it. I set my own password.

When I did the update, I saved the Extensions folder to a USB flash memory. But I had trouble putting it back. And so I crashed out my setup. No biggie since I just put it together today.

Thanks for the guide!

Partially (80% success).

Followed the guide, After typing "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done" tried to run the installer

Firstly the installer gave me an error after 3% copying.

Tried the installer again and didn't give me an error, but in terminal while the installer was running, I saw 2 lines with "Illegal operation" after "while sleep 1;..."

Changed the line with "Don't steal MacOSX.kext" with "../dsmos.kext"

Rebooted, had issues with my PS/2 keyboard. All the old kexts (AppleACPIPlatform, AppleSMIBIOS), etc didn't work, but I bought an PS/2 to USB adapter and my keyboard working now.

Re-installed the driver (sound, network) and working.

My only problems I have now:

1. ATM reporting 3.8 GHz C2D instead of 1.8 GHz

2. Apple System Profiler gives an error at the hardware section

3. I have zillions of "Warning SUID's" while repairing the permissions and some permissions are modified every time (This is the worst problem I have)

Couple of questions.

Whats the best way to backup and restore that /System/Library/Extensions/ folder?

to backup folder do this command:

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions_backup

now you have a full copy of folder Extensions

Just a bit OT ,but not so much.

In case I got a DS4 and after removed AppleIntelCPU.. I rerun the ls8 very confy script, I got everything updated and mine extensions at their place??

Could be that a good way , instead of replacing the important extensions (hda,video and so on..) manually for gettting a 10.5.2 --> DS4 updated? :unsure:

Hum well I did as the guide recommended, however when I reboot I get the 'still waiting for root device' error. Not knowing much about the whole SATA IDE whatever thing, I don't know what to blame. I assume I need to back up a kext or something that the 10.5.2 installer replaces, but stuffed if I know what it is. Im using iatkos 1.0r2, thanks :unsure:

Just a bit OT ,but not so much.

In case I got a DS4 and after removed AppleIntelCPU.. I rerun the ls8 very confy script, I got everything updated and mine extensions at their place??

Could be that a good way , instead of replacing the important extensions (hda,video and so on..) manually for gettting a 10.5.2 --> DS4 updated? :unsure:

I followed the directions, and then re-ran LS8's script and was up and going just fine. PM if you need any help. In return, maybe you can help me a bit with my EFI strings :lol:

Thanks for the guide!

Partially (80% success).

Followed the guide, After typing "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done" tried to run the installer

Firstly the installer gave me an error after 3% copying.

Tried the installer again and didn't give me an error, but in terminal while the installer was running, I saw 2 lines with "Illegal operation" after "while sleep 1;..."

Changed the line with "Don't steal MacOSX.kext" with "../dsmos.kext"

Rebooted, had issues with my PS/2 keyboard. All the old kexts (AppleACPIPlatform, AppleSMIBIOS), etc didn't work, but I bought an PS/2 to USB adapter and my keyboard working now.

Re-installed the driver (sound, network) and working.

My only problems I have now:

1. ATM reporting 3.8 GHz C2D instead of 1.8 GHz

2. Apple System Profiler gives an error at the hardware section

3. I have zillions of "Warning SUID's" while repairing the permissions and some permissions are modified every time (This is the worst problem I have)

To resolve the above, you just have to put the previous AppleSMBIOS.kext back to your /System/Library/Extensions folder. Hope you made a backup of this file before you install the update. If not, you can easily find it elsewhere in this thread. :unsure: