[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

I installed update with this guide on retail 10.5.0 (on GA P35 DS4) Successfully.

I restart I waited few mins than restarted manually , Second did with Safe option -x

After that absolutely no problem .

System Xbench CPU score jumped from 138 to 151 for Q6600 with stock Speed 2.4 Ghz

Also Successfully installed Leopard Graphic update

Kind of unrelated, but I noticed in your sig it says you're having trouble with some network stuff (airport utility, discovering computers on the network, right?). This is a Bonjour issue. I had the same problem, but I fixed it by installing this open source Realtek driver:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

You restored ALL the kexts in your Extensions folder? That seems like a really bad idea to me. You're only supposed to restore the ones that were not vanilla. What you're running right now is a 10.5.2 system with mostly 10.5.1 kexts. That's asking for trouble.

In short; do not follow this advice. Only back up and restore the kexts that were custom in your 10.5.1

installation. For most people this will be AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, plus whatever kexts

you needed to get your hardware working (audio, video, network).

Adhemar, are you read my post before ?

i have only restore AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext

tomorrow i'm going to install the kaly 10.5.1 with GUID EFI on my PC (Asus P5E, CD2, HD3870). the question is.. if i install the kaly and i don't modify any kext can i install the update directly from the mac updater??

No. The fact that you don't choose any of the ADDITIONAL kexts to be installed when you boot the Kalyway DVD doesn't mean there aren't custom kext's being loaded in the background; for example dmos.kext. So the answer is no, you can't update straight from Software Update or MacUpdate or anything like that - at least not yet.

God damn! How stupid of me to think that EFI+vanila kernel will work straight forward. Who said that EFI + Vanilla kernel will solve all the future updates on a hacintosh. I didn't know that this thread existed so I installed the 10.5.2 update (thought it will work as the 10.5.1 worked) and on reboot i get the hphet errors. INEDIBLE or anyone else who did the stupid straight forward update: did you manage to save your 10.5.1 Leo or did you get pass any kernel panics?

For me it went away after the 1st restart. Any subsequent restarts of my system didn't give me the 3-4 minute wait time. I don't know if it's the updated the Kernel that makes that happen, or if it happens wether you install the updated kernel or not. That much I can't say. Hope that helps.

it was your kernel that made it happen. which kernel did you select in the pkg? can the modbin kernel work for nforce mobo?

im using the Nforce patched kernel for 10.5.1 right now

The Update worked without Problems with IAktos 1.0i, but the sleep function isn´t working anymore : -(

Well. I had already this Problem by installing the last Security Update, but I´ve managed to solve it by reinstalling the EFI 8.0, but now

this procedure did not worked. I´ve already replaced all KEXT with the KEXT from my Backup. Nothing helped:-( Does anyone know, if this is a iAKTOS Kernel or KEXT Problem ?

Spec:

iAKTOS 1.0i R2 + MBR + EFi_8.0

MOBO : GA-P35-DS3R

CPU : QUAD Q6600

M.K

Greetings,

I keep getting a syntax error at `done'

Steps:

sudo -s

(entered password - successfully)

entered the following exactly as is:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

The AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement was not removed and cause pain on my system.

Is there a way to know if the script was entered correctly the next time I try this? After a Clean Install of course.

Please advise

10.5 ToH (Updated with Software Update to 10.5.1 - Using Stock Kernel)

EFI V8 (GUID)

Core 2 Duo E6600

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

Greetings,

I keep getting a syntax error at `done'

Steps:

sudo -s

(entered password - successfully)

entered the following exactly as is:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

The AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement was not removed and cause pain on my system.

Is there a way to know if the script was entered correctly the next time I try this? After a Clean Install of course.

Please advise

10.5 ToH (Updated with Software Update to 10.5.1 - Using Stock Kernel)

EFI V8 (GUID)

Core 2 Duo E6600

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

you need to use the bash shell for that while loop to work.

On my setup (retail disk via a previous tiger install) I didn't have to use the code for the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I had already removed it when after I installed 10.5.0 and the updates didn't re-install the file. The only change I had to make was to replace dsmos entry in terminal and my taruga audio. Graphics, appleSMBIOS, etc remains the same. All appears to work as it should and it did take the graphics update after rebooting. After reading all these posts, I expected more trouble but it was relatively pain free. Thanks Netkas et al.

hi from the Ukraine,

I updated as netkas wrote. But on rebooting I got panic kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

Update SMBIOS, ACPI, HDA did not help. -x -f options did not help too...

So learning the panic I found that problem was in IOPlatformPluginFamily. I restored from the 10.5.1.

All is Ok now...

Hi, try replacing ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin in IOPlatfofmPluginFamily.kext

Ok, I did the update on my Kalyway 10.5.1 drive and all went fine, except the "ATM" wasn't displaying the correct info and so on. So I was able to replace it with the one I backed up and all is well with that. Now my issue is reboot and shutdown don't work. Now I'm doing all this playing around with a second install of Kalyway 10.5.1 so I don't screw up my now prestine version of Leopard. I want to make sure I get this right. So I was playing with replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and now I have run into kernel panics. I got a panic after I replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext with my backup and now when I try to replace the backup one with the one that was there before. So all I'm doing is booting into my "good Leopard install" and copying over the kext file to the test drive and then dropping it into the system/library/extensions folder. I then tell it to replace and then type my password and then it's done. I reboot and choose the test drive and then press F8 and at the prompt type -v and the hit enter. Then I get the message saying it can't find the AppleACPIPlatorm.kext file. Is there a way to fix it? I know sometimes you need to go into terminal and type some chmod command or something like that. Is that something that I need to do?

**Update**

I am able to boot into safe mode with -x. Can I fix the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from here?

**Update #2**

I believe I have fixed the problem. While in safe mode I used Kext helper to install my backup of AppleACPIPlatform.kext. I rebooted and the system booted no probelm. I then went to reboot again and while the system was shutting down it seemed to be hanging on something. So boot back up and make my edit to this post and now I will see if it's ok.

**Update#3**

All working!! If anyone is having problems installing or replacing kext files, use kext helper. It comes installed with Kalyway 10.5.1. Just incase you didn't know. :)

Thanks,

Chevy

Kind of unrelated, but I noticed in your sig it says you're having trouble with some network stuff (airport utility, discovering computers on the network, right?). This is a Bonjour issue. I had the same problem, but I fixed it by installing this open source Realtek driver:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

with open source Works fine but after wake up from sleep network fails to get ip

And after update, use this ACPIPS2Nub and THIS vanilla ACPIPlatform kext, and put PowerManagement.bundle in /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

PS2_Batt.zip

PS/2 mouse and keyboard work after this, but now reboot doesn't work.

Same result with appleacpiplatform.kext from brazilmac (same one maybe?) PS\2 mouse and KB work, but no reboot.

Is there a way to have ps2 input and working reboot with 10.5.2 yet?

Installed perfectly on my machine, had to reboot twice but it worked. Everything seems to be working except my C2D is displayed as 4GHz which its not. Downloading the Graphics update now, heard it worked with an 8800GTS 320MB and thats what i have so hopefully it will work...

Thanks for the help!

Thanks Devin for the information. My upgrade worked great with on minor exception. I was scared to just replace the new extensions from 10.5.2 with my old 10.5.1 extensions, so I have no sound. I am using a Kalyway 10.5.1 installation on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. Can you give me any suggestions on which extensions I should be replacing and any other steps to getting my sound card back. Thanks again for upgrade "recipe".

Thanks Devin for the information. My upgrade worked great with on minor exception. I was scared to just replace the new extensions from 10.5.2 with my old 10.5.1 extensions, so I have no sound. I am using a Kalyway 10.5.1 installation on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. Can you give me any suggestions on which extensions I should be replacing and any other steps to getting my sound card back. Thanks again for upgrade "recipe".

What sound are you using?

Also, does About this Mac and System Profiler work and show the correct info?

Devin thanks for all your work on this update:)

I do have a question. After I run the graphics update I cannot get past the blue screen after reboot. I have gma950, some people (who also have gma950) have said it booted to the desktop but their resolution was wrong. Any Idea how I/we can fix this?

This is crazy because gma950 is in the macbooks and under kalyway no extra patch is needed!

Would installing the gma950 package from tiger fix it?

Anyone? Please :(

I had the same problem. I also could not get past the sky blue screen after rebooting. I restored the following kexts and frameworks, which were updated on Graphic Uptedate, from my backup, and it can boot normally.

/System/Library/Extensions/

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

/System/Framework/

CoreVideo.framework

/System/PrivateFramework/

CoreMediaAuthoringPrivate.framework

CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework

CoreMediaPrivate.framework

FWAVCPrivate.framework

What sound are you using?

Also, does About this Mac and System Profiler work and show the correct info?

Yes my system profiler shows correct info. I think I'm using an ALC883 card it's the default for my motherboard. Tried the drivers recommended earlier in a post by skippyretard but no luck.

Update worked for me. Profilder shows 10.5.2 but....

my graphics is still the same. I have it set for 1680x1050x32 but when I try photobooth, it still says "The graphics card installed in this computer does not support Photo Booth."

In profiler under more info, the Graphics/Displays, it shows as NVIDIA (I never looked before), and Vram 32 MB, it should be 256 right? I got a 8600m GT.

Still no sound either

I got blue tooth, ethernet but no wireless, keyboard and touch pad and my bluetooth mouse all working fine.

Well I followed this guide, which I dont know how much needs to be done if you do the update. As for me, I think all the files were there already except the NVinject.kext file.

but anyway, after doing the steps, 1 2 4-9, it worked. Nvidia hardware accellerated and showing 256mb and extra in display prefs.