 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

I've been trying to create a raid 0 array with 2 hds but it won't boot.

1. I added the Raid disk in disk utility (named Test), dragged the two disks I wanted to include and created it.

2. Opened terminal, installed Leopard, then ran post patch

3. Put raid identifier number in boot.plist in "Test"

4. Dragged the chameleon files into the home folder of "Test"

5. In terminal typed:

cd /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/Chameleon\ Files\

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk2

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3

diskutil mount disk1s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX

diskutil unmount disk1s3

diskutil mount disk2s3

diskutil unmount disk2s3

When I mounted disk1s3 and disk2s3, a disk called Boot OSX mounted. I looked inside at the boot.plist and it was the same as the one on "Test"

6. I boot off the first HD and get:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done (it stops there)

If I boot off the second HD I get:

boot0: GPT

boot0: booting

boot1: startupfile_ (and it stops there)

Did I miss a step somewhere?

03/14/2009: Still trying. Here is a shot of my Boot OSX. Am I missing any files? Shouldn't cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX install the boot file from the chameleon files folder? It isn't there, and if I put it there it doesn't work.

picture1x.png

03/14/2009: Have to give up for now. :wallbash: I'll need my main install Monday and it takes a while to reinstall 500 GB from my backup. I have it stored on a backup drive since the hard drive it use to be on was going to be in the raid array. :(

I'm having the same problem. I had this running perfectly for a few months and ended doing the classic "format the wrong drive" mistake and now I cant get the RAID to work. I get the boot1: startupfile issue now and can't seem to figure it out.

4. Dragged the chameleon files into the home folder of "Test"

You need to drag the files to your current home directory, because if you do CD / you do'nt install chameleon as bootloader, but something else.

Try the new chameleon 2.0 bootloader, they added better support for raid

You need to drag the files to your current home directory, because if you do CD / you do'nt install chameleon as bootloader, but something else.

Try the new chameleon 2.0 bootloader, they added better support for raid

Just a question about your xbench scores in your sig. The higher score should be without disks right? Unless your raid is very very fast...

Leopard retail instillation

simplified guide( See Below After RAID Guide)

Dec 22 Update

AppleAHCIPort.Kext Build 31 (ver 1.5.2) Adds ID for ICH7 to ICH10

IOAHCIFamily.kext Build 294 (ver 1.5.0) shows SATA drive as internal

JMicronATA.kext latest Vanilla just added Jmicron ids

Above three kexts are vanilla just Device ids are added

See attachment below for new kexts pack

For Sleep to work make sure in Energy Saver -Restart Automatically after a Power Failure is checked Credit goes to Jan Bird

29z6gwn.png

Sep 18, 2008 Sleep Issue. I was investigating Why Leopard Fails Sleep when idle. Found that Paragon NTFS was the cause I deactivated and Voila ! Leopard is able to go sleep on its own. Same Issue with MacFuse. This Issue affects even MacBook Or MacBook Pr

11 July, For Restart fix -Open AppleACPIPlatform Binary in hex Editor & replace E8 A0 FF FF FF with B0 FE E6 64 F4 ( thanks to CharlesB )

attached below latest AppleACPIPlatform.kext

For Advance user only RAID Install

Two Methods Chameleon EFI & EFI v8 listed below

I prefer Chameleon EFI as you can directly boot from Software RAID

Chameleon EFI RAID Guide

You need two or more Drives I used three Drives for Stripe RAID by Disk reading Xbench score alone jumped to over 190

5cm5u.jpg

Use diskutility to make raid volume of your desire

Important :

1. Make sure first install the Leopard Retail to the Destination RAID Drive.You can install Retail Leopard From Disk or Carbon Copy Clone from Existing Retail Leopard install.

2. Apply post patch as usual RAID Drive

3 than Edit com.apple.boot.plist (Drag drop on the desktop edit than replace)in the RAID volume add to Kernal Flags

boot-uuid=RAID Identifier

For RAID Identifier:using "Disk Utility.app", right click on your root volume, then Information

it will look like following pic

sb7xg7.png

4.Make sure you Install Chameleon EFI after Step 3(after addding UUID to com.apple.boot.plist) other wise Raid won't boot.

-Extract all the files to user root folder from Cameleon Files folder.

Open terminal type here in example I used three Disks Disk0 , Disk1 , Disk2(Mac OS X creates a small helper partition at the end of each RAID member disk Called Boot OSX) ,

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk2

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3

diskutil mount disk0s3
diskutil unmount disk0s3
diskutil mount disk1s3
diskutil unmount disk1s3
diskutil mount disk2s3
diskutil unmount disk2s3

You are Done Boot to Raid Good Luck

look at mine Three Disk Striped Raid Pic

11j9hk1.jpg

Tip to Automatically select RAID during boot

than open the Disk Utility to check RAID Identifier(Select RAID and click info) Copy that

than you need to edit com.apple.boot..plist on the BOOT partition not the RAID

add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>boot-uuid=Paste Raid Identifier here</string>

this make sure you automatically boot from RAID Volume

1hwi2w.jpg

Included in install Package new AppleSMBIOS which is functionally best so far with following advantages

DVD player , adobe CS3 , LogmeIn ,Carbon Copy Cloner( make your you have installed EFI to the cloning drive after Cloning )works

With included kexts, Hard Drive shows as internal and if in Bios is AHCI mode they are even Hot swappable eSATA

Sleep, Restarts works fine with vanilla kernel 9.6.0

In the forum down Eclau post also shows step by step how to make custom EFI String for Video card ,Time machine fix,Sound

Here is updated Simple Guide

Leopard Retail Install with Chameleon EFI

For any Retail Leopard install First requirement is working Leopard

Partition Destination Drive with Disk utility Select GUID partition

how to install EFI

To install Chameleon EFI its very simple because now it has installer . just run and select the right drive

Install Leopard

Mount the Leopard retail DVD or its Image. I prefer image as instillation is very fast 5-6 mins

In terminal Copy Paste

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open osinstall.mpkg

Install on right Destination Drive

Than install 10.5.6 Combo update on the right drive

Now to remove incompatible kext or install requird one

Put kext file in the user folder(users/currentuser(yourusername)/

Open post patch change (destination=Name of Drive where retail leopard is installed)

Open terminal and drag drop post patch

this included Sound file is for GA P35 DS4 or similar Gigabyte motherboard & GFX EFI string for nvidia 7600 GT Card

Make sure in Post patch sh file you replace with drive name(Leopard) with yours Drive name

Boot with new Drive and enjoy :angry2: Good luck with your built

For EFI String for VIDEO , Network, Audio

use Latest EFI Studio ,Select Devices and Click Wrtie to com.apple.boot.plist will add Automatically for you. Now you can even install EFI on destination Drive by this

35bb42a.jpg

Time to switch to Chameleon 2.0 RC1

What a fine development in OSx86

Can Dual boot with windows 7 or Windows Vista on separate hard Drive.

For mouse Lag in 10.5.6. Just delete the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext . I couldn't believe mouse lag gone for ever.

So I'll add my experience.

I just rebuilt my system - :( Raptors! :) in Raid-0 oh yeah.

Anyway... I wanted to do it 'right' this time. A pure vanilla install, with required extensions in a separate folder.

So, I did some experimenting with the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 - this is a VERY nice upgrade.

This is what I have now, 2 SATA drives, Apple RAID-0. No other OS or partitions. I do keep a USB HDD handy for install and recovery booting with a very basic 10.5 install. My boot files live on the "diskXs3" aka "Boot OSX" partitions - leaving the EFI hidden partitions alone.

So the install...

(insert standard boot retail, disk utility to create Raid-0, install)

(download and extract Chameleon 2.0 RC1 [not the installer, the tar file], chdir to the boot files directory )

[ I will assume here that my disks are "disk0" and "disk1", your drives many be different ]

a. fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

b. dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

c. diskutil mount disk0s3

d. cp boot /Boot\ OSX

e. copy -Rp ~/Download/Chameleon2rc1/Extra /Boot\ OSX/

f. diskutil unmount disk0s3

g. fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

h. dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

i. diskutil mount disk1s3

j. copy boot /Boot\ OSX

k. copy -Rp ~/Download/Chameleon2rc1/Extra /Boot\ OSX/

l. diskutil unmount disk1s3

m. update /Library/Preferences//SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

1. **HIGHLY IMPORTANT** Include Kernel Flags in the com.apple.Boot.plist file for "boot-uuid=<uuid of your raid disk>" without that ... the stage 3 boot (apple's) will NOT find your root drive and fail to start Mac OS X.

2. Also, this is a good time to put in your device-property EFI strings.

n. ** customize boot **

1. remount "Boot OSX" -- diskutil mount disk0s3

2. Put needed extentions in /Boot OS X/Extra/Extentions

3. Customize the /Boot\ OSX/Extra/smbios.plist <-- this by FAR is the most sweet feature, next to the GUI, of Chameleon.

4. build kextcache for those: kextcache -a i386 -m /Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions

5. unmount "Boot OSX" -- diskutil unmount disk0s3

6. (repeat for disk1)

My system needed:

drw-r--r--@ 3 _unknown  _unknown  102 Jun 30  2008 IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
drw-r--r--@ 4 _unknown  _unknown  136 Jan 28 16:11 JMicronATA.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 _unknown  _unknown  102 Sep 19  2008 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 _unknown  _unknown  102 Jan 20 13:12 dsmos.kext

in the /Boot OSX/Extra/Extension

but needed:

drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Sep 18  2008 RealtekR1000.kext
drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Dec 23 05:01 AppleHDA.kext

RealtekR1000 for the Ethernet Port -- need Bonjour to work for my HP network printer.

and a fixed up version of AppleHDA for proper sound.

And once your are all set putting Kexts in the right places, touch /System/Library/Extensions/ on your new install, and if you change the /Extras/Extensions, you'll need to manual update both disks and the kextcache using the command above.

Hope that help some folks. Good Luck.

Hi Guys,

I've been running/working with a setup based on this guide for quite a while.

And i'm quite happy with it... i've been 'playing around' with different installs before, and went to the re-install process a few times.

As said,.. i'm happy with this install and used it heavily, customizing and workig on it!

I became anxious and prevented upgrades (i was on 10.5.5) till i had a proper backup.

I got myself a new 1TB disk (install is raid 0 2x500) and made a timemachine backup. (using the ionetworkingfamily kext)

After this i felt confident and proceeded to install 10.5.6 and chameleon 2 rc1

This went partially well.... as in... chameleon (flawless) 10.5.6 some issues.... USB/Firewire and SATA (ich9r)

I proceeded with the trial and error as well as researching the fora. Got it almost working and then something strange happend.... I was trying to get time machine working again in 10.5.6. In the process i accidentally re-initialized the disk. (LOSING MY JUST MADE BACKUP) After using OSXtools, i managed to boot into 10.5.6 once, after that (and trying another AppleHDA) dissaster struck!

I can't boot into save mode no more.

I have a separate extra install on a portable drive... hooked that up and tried everything (reinstall the update, the combo update, replacing kexts, reinstall chameleon)

But nothing works... i suspected that some startup items might cause trouble because of the messages.

Anywayz, i really could use some help..

I have the time machine disk, but would have to use some recovery method to get the image back.

If anyone knows software to do that on a HFS disk, let me know...

And does anyone know what this means...

Kextcache[99]:kCGErrorRangeCheck : On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.

Kextcache[99]:kCGErrorRangeCheck : Set a breakpoint at CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are returned

After these messages, the system hangs....

The GUI will not load.

I can get into single mode, but don't really know what to do there except fsck

I'm not really a noob, but no native unix expert either.

Can somebody, please, please help me....

The thought of rebuilding (not reinstalling, but reBUILDING) the entire mac is unbearable and very depressing.....

-edit-

I want to try and 'repair' osx by doing a full install of a retail 10.5.6 dmg.

I want to do this in the same way as a RAID installation as described above (from within a secondary installation)

Does someone know, if installing this way, without formatting, will keep the previous user en software installation intact, and effectively replace the corrupted system?

Hi karaakeha1, you are using Win7 x64 I see.

How you will change this RC when Win7 RTM will come out ;) ? A windows install rewrites the mbr and your osx install will be broken or is there an easier way to update win7 rc to rtm without loss?

I want also dualboot with osx and a windows version that supports 8gb. (winxp x64 is buggy and vista x64 will be outdated and win7 x64 seems to have better critics :D )

Can you also post a little guide how to install osx retail (raid0) with win7(1x hd) with chameleon 2.0?

Thanks ;)

Hi karaakeha1, you are using Win7 x64 I see.

How you will change this RC when Win7 RTM will come out :( ? A windows install rewrites the mbr and your osx install will be broken or is there an easier way to update win7 rc to rtm without loss?

I want also dualboot with osx and a windows version that supports 8gb. (winxp x64 is buggy and vista x64 will be outdated and win7 x64 seems to have better critics :( )

Can you also post a little guide how to install osx retail (raid0) with win7(1x hd) with chameleon 2.0?

Thanks -_-

I installed windows 7 x64 on seperate hard Drive , So no issue when I reinstall it

( if you are using just partiton on Hard Drive ,than What I do , Install windows to another seprate hard drive than clone the partiton (I use Acronis) There I can leave MBR not to clone and leave active partiton option unchecked too )

I installed windows 7 x64 on seperate hard Drive , So no issue when I reinstall it

( if you are using just partiton on Hard Drive ,than What I do , Install windows to another seprate hard drive than clone the partiton (I use Acronis) There I can leave MBR not to clone and leave active partiton option unchecked too )

But what are you installing first? Osx first with raid function and after that on separated disk put a clone of a previous win7 x64 install? (and at what stage do you install chameleon 2.0)

So I'll add my experience.

I just rebuilt my system - ;) Raptors! :) in Raid-0 oh yeah.

Anyway... I wanted to do it 'right' this time. A pure vanilla install, with required extensions in a separate folder.

So, I did some experimenting with the Chameleon 2.0 RC1 - this is a VERY nice upgrade.

This is what I have now, 2 SATA drives, Apple RAID-0. No other OS or partitions. I do keep a USB HDD handy for install and recovery booting with a very basic 10.5 install. My boot files live on the "diskXs3" aka "Boot OSX" partitions - leaving the EFI hidden partitions alone.

So the install...

(insert standard boot retail, disk utility to create Raid-0, install)

(download and extract Chameleon 2.0 RC1 [not the installer, the tar file], chdir to the boot files directory )

[ I will assume here that my disks are "disk0" and "disk1", your drives many be different ]

a. fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

b. dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

c. diskutil mount disk0s3

d. cp boot /Boot\ OSX

e. copy -Rp ~/Download/Chameleon2rc1/Extra /Boot\ OSX/

f. diskutil unmount disk0s3

g. fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

h. dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

i. diskutil mount disk1s3

j. copy boot /Boot\ OSX

k. copy -Rp ~/Download/Chameleon2rc1/Extra /Boot\ OSX/

l. diskutil unmount disk1s3

m. update /Library/Preferences//SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

1. **HIGHLY IMPORTANT** Include Kernel Flags in the com.apple.Boot.plist file for "boot-uuid=<uuid of your raid disk>" without that ... the stage 3 boot (apple's) will NOT find your root drive and fail to start Mac OS X.

2. Also, this is a good time to put in your device-property EFI strings.

n. ** customize boot **

1. remount "Boot OSX" -- diskutil mount disk0s3

2. Put needed extentions in /Boot OS X/Extra/Extentions

3. Customize the /Boot\ OSX/Extra/smbios.plist <-- this by FAR is the most sweet feature, next to the GUI, of Chameleon.

4. build kextcache for those: kextcache -a i386 -m /Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Boot\ OSX/Extra/Extensions

5. unmount "Boot OSX" -- diskutil unmount disk0s3

6. (repeat for disk1)

My system needed:

drw-r--r--@ 3 _unknown  _unknown  102 Jun 30  2008 IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
drw-r--r--@ 4 _unknown  _unknown  136 Jan 28 16:11 JMicronATA.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 _unknown  _unknown  102 Sep 19  2008 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drw-r--r--@ 3 _unknown  _unknown  102 Jan 20 13:12 dsmos.kext

in the /Boot OSX/Extra/Extension

but needed:

drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Sep 18  2008 RealtekR1000.kext
drwxr-xr-x@   3 root  wheel   102 Dec 23 05:01 AppleHDA.kext

RealtekR1000 for the Ethernet Port -- need Bonjour to work for my HP network printer.

and a fixed up version of AppleHDA for proper sound.

And once your are all set putting Kexts in the right places, touch /System/Library/Extensions/ on your new install, and if you change the /Extras/Extensions, you'll need to manual update both disks and the kextcache using the command above.

Hope that help some folks. Good Luck.

This was really helpful. However, I have 2 drives (the two raid-0 drives) to choose from at the chameleon login... is that normal?

Hello!

I´m starting on this hackintosh world.

Using now iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 install.

This is working ok, but I want to install from retail and use chameleon 2.0 bootloader.

I have the retail image, but can´t put it in my 8gb pendrive don´t know why.

After formatting the pendrive on fat32 (using vista x64), it says thats no free space enough. But, when looking to proprieties, it has more than enough.

So, my first question is: how do I start installation?

I have 2 drives, 500gb SATA with dualboot (both windows and mac using this), and 160gb ATA100 used to keep files and backups.

And is there any tutorial of retail install for real noobies on this system? :unsure:

Thanks everyone!

Yes ok, but how can I install osx when I don't have osx burned on a dvd, but just the dmg file?

Then assuming you have a working install of OS X you right click on the .dmg and open it starts up don't use the screen there close it out and in Terminal after having used sudo -s to become root user type in then hit the enter key.

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

Then open installer again hitting enter after typing in.

open OSInstall.mpkg

Go through the install once done to assume ownership of the disk so you can copy over your changed/modified .kext.

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/[b]OSX[/b]

Changing the OSX part in the line above to what your partition is named and install your boot loader after your changes then you should be able to reboot into your new install. Another idea you can look at is the boot132 method using a suitable sized usb stick as the install medium.

Can you reinstall OSX (with chameleon) on the SAME DRIVE that your current install is on? In other words, I'll do the bare basics install with boot-132 and OSX retail DVD and get that going. Then I'll follow these directions to reinstall OSX yet again, but I can't do it on the same drive that I'm currently running the native OS on can I? How can we go about doing this because I only have so many HDDs?!

Thanks in advance...

Pete