 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Hope someone can give me some pointers here. I've been running Kalyway & iPC distros ok for sometime but thought I'd try my luck with a retail DVD.

After I boot with the 132 cd and then boot the Retail DVD disk the install hangs just after the aurora wallpaper appears with a spinning beachball.

The basic system is in the last line of my sig. I have a IDE DVD drive on channel 0 master and I get past the "waiting for root device" problem. I have two SATA hard drives both on channel 1 and the BIOS is set to IDE enhanced mode. I dont have an AHCI setting option. There are no extra USB devices plugged in except the mouse and keyboard.

Do I need to be using all SATA to do this kind of install, ie swap the DVD drive for a SATA one and drop IDE altogether or should that not matter? Are there any specific settings in the BIOS I should make that would be different to a hacked distro install? Or maybe my mobo is just not up to the task?

Appreciate this is a bit nebulous but the various guides don't really go into hardware config. Any thoughts or pointers would be most welcome. Thanks.

Please note down that if mac partition isn't active your system will render totally unbootable unless you enter on a linux live cd and there you add the boot flag to where your bootloader was installed.

Has happened to me now, so please to devs don't modify mbr cuz osx86 isn't 100% working for some (or most) of us.

Btw, the new bootloader theme looks awesome! I only need to fix screen resolution at boot and done.

And this is just a point: which com.apple.boot.plist does the bootloader read? The one on Extras folder or the one on SystemConfiguration? I'll modify both of them just in case but it's fine on getting the one on SystemConfiguration, there should be some way to configure it.

Retail leopard hangs after first boot.

I install retail leopard no problem

install 10.5.5 post patch

reboot into retail no problem

after restart just hangs on grey screen with apple

booted verbose mode

The reportcrash keeps coming

Hi. I've got the same MoBo as karaakeha1 (GA-P35-DS4). I've installed Retail 10.5.6, then i run 10.5.6_kexts_pack.zip (1.07MB). It successfully copied new kexts and removed incompatible ones. After getting permission repaired I installed chameleon 2.0 RC1 and rebooted, but I get "Still waiting for root device" error. (screenshot arrached).

I installed retail from iPC and it boots fine from chameleon 2.0

Thanks

Tried to install IOAHCIFamily.kext and AppleAHCIPort.Kext with kext tool to iPC and now iPC doesn't boot up too with the same error:)

UP: It works! But only with -f param. How can I fix it?

post-281554-1241614270_thumb.jpg

Is there a trick to getting kexts loaded from /Extra/Extensions with Chameleon 2RC1?

I have performed the following steps:

- Installed Retail 10.5.6 using boot132

- Installed Cham 2RC1 -- Copied kexts from boot132 to /Extra/Extensions

- Confirm everything boots fine.

My next step is to get drivers (audio, PS2, etc.) loaded from the same location.

Copying them to /Extra/Extensions doesn't seem to do the trick. If I copy them to /System/Library/Extensions everything works great -- but I'd like the separation of kexts.

Any suggestions on getting them recognized from the secondary location?

Thank you!

I bought a retail copy of OSX 10.5.6. Right now I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my laptop and it's working ok. The wireless and keyboard layout aren't working right, but I can live with that. I'm thinking of installing my retail DVD using Chameleon. Right now I have Kalyway on a 20GB partition. The rest of the drive is dedicated to WindowsXP. Do I need to install Chameleon on a new drive, or can I do it on the 20GB partition?? It also sounds like I need to install it using an existing/running OSX? Can I do it from the partition that I am installing to??

brainwav.

Hmm, if you have XP on the same drive, you need to patch your DVD,

because it can only install on GUID, so you need to patch it for MBR.

I bought a retail copy of OSX 10.5.6. Right now I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my laptop and it's working ok. The wireless and keyboard layout aren't working right, but I can live with that. I'm thinking of installing my retail DVD using Chameleon. Right now I have Kalyway on a 20GB partition. The rest of the drive is dedicated to WindowsXP. Do I need to install Chameleon on a new drive, or can I do it on the 20GB partition?? It also sounds like I need to install it using an existing/running OSX? Can I do it from the partition that I am installing to??

brainwav.

Hmm, if you have XP on the same drive, you need to patch your DVD,

because it can only install on GUID, so you need to patch it for MBR.

How difficult is it to patch the DVD? I know a bit about computers, but not much about patching. I've only started this OSX stuff in the last month. I guess I would have to copy the DVD to my HD and apply a patch, then burn it back to a dual-layer DVD? Is the patch self-installing or is it something that I have to edit/change manually?

Brainwav.

I am getting boot error after i installed cham rc1. I change the disk mode to ata and it loads fine but my mac os partition does not work under ata only when i have the bios set as raid.

How can i log in to my mac partition? It wont boot no more because i get the cham rc1 errors. Is there anyway to bypass it so that i can get to my desktop and do it manually?

Can I install the patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext (reboot fix) to /Extra/Extensions? I does not seem to work for me, I had to install it to /S/L/E and replace the original file. But it gets overwritten on system update of course

Mac OS X 10.5.7 includes an updated version of AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.4 build 5). Can you please patch it for reboot? Thank you!

So I read the guide and still have one problem.

This is what I did:

1. Flashed my Asus P5Q SE mobo

2. Set IDE as ACHI

3. Installed OS X 10.5.6 Retail from a MacBook Pro to an external SATA drive

4. Installed Chameleon 2.0 r431 on external SATA drive

5. Inserted the SATA drive into hackintosh and could NOT boot. It just hangs at spinning wheel and Apple logo.

I know I skipped the steps involving adding or removing kexts. I did it because the guide does not make it clear enough where to put the "10.5.6 kexts pack" and what kexts to remove, if any. I am a noob at hackintosh so maybe if someone could tell me what exactly to do with these kexts, I'd appreciate that.

I believe that could be my only problem left before a nice vanilla boot.

Thank you.

So I read the guide and still have one problem.

This is what I did:

1. Flashed my Asus P5Q SE mobo

2. Set IDE as ACHI

3. Installed OS X 10.5.6 Retail from a MacBook Pro to an external SATA drive

4. Installed Chameleon 2.0 r431 on external SATA drive

5. Inserted the SATA drive into hackintosh and could NOT boot. It just hangs at spinning wheel and Apple logo.

I know I skipped the steps involving adding or removing kexts. I did it because the guide does not make it clear enough where to put the "10.5.6 kexts pack" and what kexts to remove, if any. I am a noob at hackintosh so maybe if someone could tell me what exactly to do with these kexts, I'd appreciate that.

I believe that could be my only problem left before a nice vanilla boot.

Thank you.

I don't think Leopard that comes with a MacBook Pro will run on anything other than the MacBook Pro. You will probably need a proper retail version designed to install on any Mac (or Hack).

I don't think Leopard that comes with a MacBook Pro will run on anything other than the MacBook Pro. You will probably need a proper retail version designed to install on any Mac (or Hack).

I said I installed from a MacBook Pro using a retail copy of Leopard 10.5.6. The installl was not a problem. Booting is.

Hi karaakeha1 and the community. You guys are totally great and this whole project is stellar! I have some questions that have been asked by a number of users on this forum but have not been answered. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

I really like that one can install retail via image on a new HD and go that route. However, I'm not sure (and as great as karaakeha1 has been and as helpful as his post is, I know I'm not alone in saying that his tutorial lacks a number of details and it is difficult to read his diction) how a number of things should go:

1. Install retail leopard on a completely other hard drive (formatted GUID and the whole damn drive is one partition just for the OS). Done. Great.

2. Install Chameleon 2.0 - okay, that's fine, but are we sure we just want to use the installer and go that route? What about Munky's method of installing on the EFI partition? Would that be better/more helpful? Would that be safer? I know how to follow the directions and can look at other posts for specifics on installing using Munky's method, but Chameleon 2.0 just has an installer, not the individual files for installing yourself. Where can I get the individual files? What about installing it on a completely separate partition altogether?

3. Install your kexts. Okay, here's where it gets really confusing. The new 10.5.6 retail on the new, separate HD does NOT have a user account. karaakeha1 talks about putting it in the user account folder of the new HD with retail, but since I've never booted from the retail (yet) I don't have a user folder on that HD. What should I do? Copy my current kalyway user folder over there? It's not that simple,though, is it?

4. You can't just insert kexts into the /extra folder or wherever the necessary files go, can you? We have a whole extensions folder that is in system/library that OSX might be accessing but we also need necessary kexts to allow our PC hardware to function/communicate correctly, yes? How does all that work? EFIStudio doesn't run correctly on the kalyway HD, not in the sense that we need to run the Retail (with chameleon) first then start adding in our kexts. But even in -x -s -f modes the retail OS still does not boot for us (many have complained of this). What do we do then? We have no user account to boot into so no kexts specific to our user account (as karaakeha1 has said for us to do) and yet we can't boot without the kexts installed in the first place?

I know I'm not alone with these questions. ANY HELP at all would be SO appreciated! Thanks in advance!

My hardware:

Asus P5B (with all the JMicron IDE troubles, my DVD reader/writer uses IDE)

SATA HDDs (one for MacOS, one not running atm for vista, another NTFS for "media" (has my music and movies on them at the moment) plus a few more externals for testing and installing retail

2 gig RAM

e6600 Intel Core 2 Duo

ATi x1900xt 256 mb (using ATi inject at the moment (no qe support, another thing I'm trying to fix)

@PeteGibbons

I am at the same stage as you are. Still, I think I know the answer to some of your questions:

2. Chameleon should be safely installed directly to the "Macintosh HD" on your hackintosh HDD. It functions very well and allows you to boot Leopard when installed in the hackintosh. It does work for me, although it hangs at the apple logo.

3. I am also confused where to put those 10.5.6 kexts. But I have an idea with regards to the user folder on the hackintosh HDD: why don't we put the HDD into an external enclosure and boot it from a real Mac? After booting, we go through the setup process and create our user account. This could be a good way to do it.

4. All we need to do after that is put the 10.5.6 kexts in the right place within this newly created user account. But this is something I need help with. After this we should be able to boot the HDD from the hackintosh.

EDIT: From what I've seen around, a good place to put the kexts is: Macintosh HD/Extra/Extentions

Tell me if you do any progress.

Hi nevrozel!

Unfortunately that system didn't work for me; earlier I tried installing Kalyway on one partition and retail on another and put Chameleon on BOTH partitions; every time chameleon loaded it loaded the one on the Kaly partition and would load kaly fine but would NOT load leopard; I assume because the kexts weren't there or they weren't installed correctly (though I did use the method explained by karaakeha1 and did the post patch.sh or whatever...yes, yes, I did name the folders and directories correctly in the file before applying it all) and after a few attempts at doing it, trying kexts and putting them in different possible areas, etc, etc, the whole thing locked up and wouldn't boot from the HD at all (no chameleon, no nuthin') so I had to start from square one again.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try retail on a totally seperate HD and try to do chameleon on that HD and then seperate kaly and retail so that I can keep kaly safe should anything bad/wrong happen to retail it won't screw up kaly.

Good luck to you all!

Pete

Actually I couldn't boot with the Chameleon installed either. It seems that if I install Leopard on HDD and then install Chameleon without the HDD being booted first (and created a user), the HDD will not boot at all.

What I'm doing now is reinstalling Leopard using my MacBook Pro and then booth it with the Mac in order to create a user. I will then try to boot it on the hackintosh without/with Chameleon and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, I will need to put some kexts somewhere.

I'll keep you updated.

Actually I couldn't boot with the Chameleon installed either. It seems that if I install Leopard on HDD and then install Chameleon without the HDD being booted first (and created a user), the HDD will not boot at all.

What I'm doing now is reinstalling Leopard using my MacBook Pro and then booth it with the Mac in order to create a user. I will then try to boot it on the hackintosh without/with Chameleon and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, I will need to put some kexts somewhere.

I'll keep you updated.

you should fill out your sig and it will be easier to get help

try uinstaller it has the basic kext for you to boot

Hi, thanks for the tip. Signature added and I played around with Uinstaller a little, worked quite well, at first!

I downloaded the Asus P5B Deluxe package and installed that on my retail drive before booting from it. I also did the DSDT and Chameleon EFI v9 1 which also worked well. I kept getting messages saying that 3 kexts weren't installed correctly and that they didn't function. Also, no kexts for my video card so that didn't work and it didn't recognize any of my JMicron ATA drives (no kexts for that too, would be my guess).

So I installed the 10.5.6 kext package via Uinstaller on that retail drive. At reboot it all crapped out, got the "you need to hit restart now" sort of thing. So here's my questions:

1. I haven't tried booting -v yet at the boot prompt, but let's say that works. Is there a way I can remove those kexts that seem to be causing problems? If so, how? Is there any way to diagnose which kexts are the "wrong/broken/making my OSX break" and how can I go about reverting/removing them so I'm at an older configuration and thus be able to try again?

2. Can I install Chameleon v2.0 over the version 1.0 that comes with Uinstaller and still get it to work okay, meaning I can continue to use Uinstaller and put on kexts or does chameleon 2 have different directories which will keep Uinstaller from doing the kext installtions?

3. I want to try installing JCool's (or whoever he is) video graphics for ATi (he's written some drivers for my card) but they're just installers. Will this work or will it break everything again?

I know most of you will say "dude, just try it...that's the way it's gotta go and yes it's gonna screw up multiple times before you get it right!" and I do realize that and am of course willing to put the time into it but I'm just wondering, if people have done these things before, what advice and ideas they can give to make this as efficient as painless as possible. I no longer have an external optical drive anymore so if I screw up too much, I can forget OSX86 forever because of my JMicron issues (and I know chameleon has written some patches to put on a retail DVD or other DVDs but those files have since dissapeared from his server).

Thanks again in advance, all help is always appreciated!

Pete

I finally got it working. This is exactly what I did:

1. Installed OS X 10.5.6 Retail on an external HDD connected to a MacBook Pro. Then I used Uinstaller and installed the basic osx86 package (the default one), chameleon and created a custom string for my graphics card (just put its name, memory and DVI/DVI).

2. I put the HDD into the hackintosh and it booted in a perfect way. I got the intro movie, setup screen etc. For my mobo I still had to install kexts (using OSX86 Tools) for audio and Lan. I also had to manually enable Quartz GL using OSX86 Tools.

3. I repaired permissions with disk utility, restarted and everything works fine. I updated everything from software update and it worked.

The problem is that when I start a graphic intensive game, I loose the image; the game works, I hear the sound but there is no image. Something to do with the GPU kexts I guess.

There is also the fact that in the "about this mac > more info" the hardware overview is empty.

I have problem using Chameleaon/10.5.7/Vanilla Kernel 9.7.0, is it supported?

The system is Asus P6T i7 920, was on EFI parttion boot method, works ok but having clock speed-up issue, so I installed the latest Chameleon, it won't boot, after the kext load, it stuck, a short white bar show on top/left of the screen.

Thanks.