 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Hey karaa long time not talk.

I've been running 10.5.5 for a long time finally decided to update. On a test partition I've done multiple installs using OSX retail image to combo updater and then just your current 10.5.6 kext zip pack. It never works and I get the waiting for root error. I've tried the other vanilla install method from LTD and it works but I've always prefered this guide. I noticed the 10.5.6 zip is missing some kexts like AppleACPIplatform and IOATAFamily. Can you use vanilla on this now? I have the same board as you DS4. Just wondering what you are doing as this isn't working for me doing the above. what exact kext files are you using. As Bonjur keeps dropping for me with the LTD method.

ok I isolated the problem and by using a modded IOATAfamily kext I can get 10.5.6 booting now. Bonjour isn't working tho. for me. net and samba are fine. and everything else is fine.

I'm using the built in lan on the DS4

EDIT:Installed realtek1000 kext and bonjour works now. I'm sure tho before I didn't have to in 10.5.5 and bonjour worked.

No networking on wake from sleep any fix for this?

Should be booting how exactly did you clone/what others steps were done?

Tried carbon copy cloner and disk utility. In both instances I cloned first, then applied EFIv9. I tried two methods of EFIv9 - OSx86 tools, and the v9 package...all iterations gave me the same result - boot 0 error. I then went in and manually set the partion active, etc., and that brought me to the boot1 error.

I know it's not the port...I can boot the original 10.5.6 install off of it and I can boot my old 10.5.4 off of it.

I installed 10.5.6 relatively painlessly (the attached files were not that complete nor the order in which to use them easily discernable...no matter); made a few fixes, etc., and I was running (I had the "waiting for....problem initially").

Now just trying to clone (tried 2 different target drives also), and nada....

Cloning was easy on 10.5.4 efi v8....clone, apply efi v8, reboot, voila! Not so here :)

Surely someone has run into a similar cloning isssue, no? Hard to believe I'm the only one ;)

Thanks.

/mdg.

Tried carbon copy cloner and disk utility. In both instances I cloned first, then applied EFIv9. I tried two methods of EFIv9 - OSx86 tools, and the v9 package...all iterations gave me the same result - boot 0 error. I then went in and manually set the partion active, etc., and that brought me to the boot1 error.

I know it's not the port...I can boot the original 10.5.6 install off of it and I can boot my old 10.5.4 off of it.

I installed 10.5.6 relatively painlessly (the attached files were not that complete nor the order in which to use them easily discernable...no matter); made a few fixes, etc., and I was running (I had the "waiting for....problem initially").

Now just trying to clone (tried 2 different target drives also), and nada....

Cloning was easy on 10.5.4 efi v8....clone, apply efi v8, reboot, voila! Not so here :(

Surely someone has run into a similar cloning isssue, no? Hard to believe I'm the only one :angel:

Thanks.

/mdg.

Does seem hard to believe it would only be you, your method there seems fine only thing I would do different myself doing it would be putting the Chameleon boot loader on instead of the EFI maybe give that a try its the only thing left I can think of to do.

Does seem hard to believe it would only be you, your method there seems fine only thing I would do different myself doing it would be putting the Chameleon boot loader on instead of the EFI maybe give that a try its the only thing left I can think of to do.

Well, I figured it out :D

It was the 1.5 TB Seagate hard disk. Apparently this size drive is not supported. I partitioned the drive into 800 GB and 500GB partitions, ran carbon copy cloner, ran bootloader, and voila...just like you said. It works.

Then i reverse engineered googling and found out that 1.5 TB drives are not supported...they are too big.

I wonder if anyone here knows this? :(

Well, I figured it out :D

It was the 1.5 TB Seagate hard disk. Apparently this size drive is not supported. I partitioned the drive into 800 GB and 500GB partitions, ran carbon copy cloner, ran bootloader, and voila...just like you said. It works.

Then i reverse engineered googling and found out that 1.5 TB drives are not supported...they are too big.

I wonder if anyone here knows this? :)

Strange indeed and must only be boot drives too I just put one of those in my main machine here last night I partitioned as a single volume GUID HFS+ drive went just fine damn fast drive too. I am almost tempted to put my OS on it instead of using it for more storage as I was planning on, good to hear you got it going BTW.

I did exactly as written in the guide and upon booting got this error:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0043a1f): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.9.59/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.ccp:1407

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x5462bdd8 : 0x12b4f3 (0x45b13c 0x5462be0c 0x1335e4 0x0)

<six more similar lines, I'll post them later if necessary>

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon <words covered by the "You need to restart your computer" message>

How can I fix this? I've done some research on it and haven't found anything recent (everything i've seen was 10.4)

I didn't see anything in the original guide about DSDT patching for 10.5.6... Is that included in the kexts post patch file?

You don't need to patch DSDT for 10.5.6.

I do a successfully installed 10.5.6 retail, than LS8 v15, chameleon, EFI strings for graphic card. CI/QE works, and everything seems to works fine, but have problems with smooth mouse movement or moving windows, video playback and screensavers are freezeng for a very short moment.

As I said everything works but have this strange, mouse movement is gauche or rough

tnx

UPDATE: Remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext - now everything works fine

Im getting a jumping cursor from time to time with my 9800GT. I was wondering if you were experiencing this as well karaakeha1 with your 9800gt...

Basically what i did was generate the string an property list with aquamac's utility and then pasted it into efistudio screen. Was this correct? I have QE/CI working.

Another question about EFI strings - how come the com.apple.boot.plist only has one long string where as the graphics string has the same length and a lot of property list item info. Where is the gfx/azal/lan strings actaully saved? in the boot.plist? compiled together into the boot.plist?

Im getting a jumping cursor from time to time with my 9800GT. I was wondering if you were experiencing this as well karaakeha1 with your 9800gt...
Remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext
Basically what i did was generate the string an property list with aquamac's utility and then pasted it into efistudio screen. Was this correct? I have QE/CI working.

Another question about EFI strings - how come the com.apple.boot.plist only has one long string where as the graphics string has the same length and a lot of property list item info. Where is the gfx/azal/lan strings actaully saved? in the boot.plist? compiled together into the boot.plist?

Yes they are. It's a long ascii string encoded into hexadecimal. If you do the gfx string, then add another string, say, for the azal, the string length may only change a few bytes, but it WILL be different.

I have a P35-DS3R & I've installed OSX 10.5 server successfully - everything is working fine. As this is going to be a server, I have no need for a graphics card - is there a way to boot OSX without a graphics card installed?

The bios posts & will boot into windows without a graphics card installed so I know its not motherboard refusing to boot without a gfx card. With OSX it believe it is hanging at the darwin boot loader (although I'm not 100% sure of this). I intend to use screen sharing to connect to the server to manage it.

I've done some googling and searching the forums but can't find anything - can anyone help?

I have a P35-DS3R & I've installed OSX 10.5 server successfully - everything is working fine. As this is going to be a server, I have no need for a graphics card - is there a way to boot OSX without a graphics card installed?

The bios posts & will boot into windows without a graphics card installed so I know its not motherboard refusing to boot without a gfx card. With OSX it believe it is hanging at the darwin boot loader (although I'm not 100% sure of this). I intend to use screen sharing to connect to the server to manage it.

I've done some googling and searching the forums but can't find anything - can anyone help?

Wrong thread.

Remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

Yes they are. It's a long ascii string encoded into hexadecimal. If you do the gfx string, then add another string, say, for the azal, the string length may only change a few bytes, but it WILL be different.

Thanks, that solved my issue and cleared up my EFI string question.

Also, there are some other issues which I have noticed while using my rig:

1. Printer stops working - maybe prints 1 or 2 lines and then just stops. Have to restart machine to get the printer working again. Have tried 2 different printers - Epson and Canon.

2. Overclock - machine looses overclock when restarting from time to time so i have to go back into BIOS and set them up again. It just defaults to the factory settings - 333mhz ram, ram timings auto. The machine is prime95 stable and cpu temps are ~47 on load. This doesnt happen when using windows.

3. iSight - sometimes i have reconnect my isight for the machine to acknowledge it.

Has anyone else noticed these? Are there any fixes?

1. Printer stops working - maybe prints 1 or 2 lines and then just stops. Have to restart machine to get the printer working again. Have tried 2 different printers - Epson and Canon.

3. iSight - sometimes i have reconnect my isight for the machine to acknowledge it.

Do you have problems with all USB devices like memory sticks, hard drives etc? Try running the USB Probe (available in the developer tools if you installed them) and watch the output when you plug in and use the printer/isight. Also try plugging this devices directly into the USB ports on the back panel so you take the front cables out of the equation, if you are not already.
2. Overclock - machine looses overclock when restarting from time to time so i have to go back into BIOS and set them up again. It just defaults to the factory settings - 333mhz ram, ram timings auto. The machine is prime95 stable and cpu temps are ~47 on load. This doesnt happen when using windows.
This could mean that your overclock is not *entirely* stable. When I'm overclocking the big numbers, sometimes when I restart the BIOS will reset to factory defaults. Prime95 alone is not enough to guarantee stability, you should also run OCCT or IntelBurnTest - which if your board is not correctly set up with regard to memory timings, core and motherboard voltages, the test will fail quite quickly. I find the linpack test in OCCT very demanding on the CPU and pushes those temperatures right up. If anythings wrong it will crash within a couple of minutes. Currently I am testing a 3.6Ghz overclock on my Q6600 and I'm having a hard time finding the right voltages for stable Prime and OCCT, although no game I have thrown at it has crashed yet. That Freezer 7 is a great cooler (I have the same one) so I don't think it's temperature problems, but either memory timings, or one of your voltages needs bumping up (DIMM,FSB,MCH).

This could mean that your overclock is not *entirely* stable. When I'm overclocking the big numbers, sometimes when I restart the BIOS will reset to factory defaults. Prime95 alone is not enough to guarantee stability, you should also run OCCT or IntelBurnTest - which if your board is not correctly set up with regard to memory timings, core and motherboard voltages, the test will fail quite quickly. I find the linpack test in OCCT very demanding on the CPU and pushes those temperatures right up. If anythings wrong it will crash within a couple of minutes. Currently I am testing a 3.6Ghz overclock on my Q6600 and I'm having a hard time finding the right voltages for stable Prime and OCCT, although no game I have thrown at it has crashed yet. That Freezer 7 is a great cooler (I have the same one) so I don't think it's temperature problems, but either memory timings, or one of your voltages needs bumping up (DIMM,FSB,MCH).

I ran IntelBurnTest 1.9 and passed (10 passes).

Also ran the linpack in OCCT for 1h and passed.

Both of them made my CPU temp go up to 65C, but no errors. Measured with RealTemp.

The "overclock reset" doesnt occur every time, just occasionally.

I've also noticed that it is more likely to reset the overclock when i use programs like VisualHub to convert video and that increases the CPU multiplier from 6 to 9 so that it runs at 3.6ghz.

Maybe increase FSB, MCH voltages? Can it really be that it doesn't like 5-5-5-15 timings even though memory seems to be fine...

What are your FSB and MCH voltages?

Thanks for telling me about these great stress testing apps. Very cool.

I'll post about my USB issue also once I get to that.

I ran IntelBurnTest 1.9 and passed (10 passes).

Also ran the linpack in OCCT for 1h and passed.

Both of them made my CPU temp go up to 65C, but no errors. Measured with RealTemp.

The "overclock reset" doesnt occur every time, just occasionally.

I've also noticed that it is more likely to reset the overclock when i use programs like VisualHub to convert video and that increases the CPU multiplier from 6 to 9 so that it runs at 3.6ghz.

A 1 hour OCCT linpack shows your CPU is stable. Maybe you should try dropping the vcore voltage 1 point at a time until you can get linpack to crash. This will allow your CPU to run cooler, and you'll save energy too. (you are running manual voltages?).

Maybe increase FSB, MCH voltages? Can it really be that it doesn't like 5-5-5-15 timings even though memory seems to be fine...

What are your FSB and MCH voltages?

5-5-5-15 is fine.

My Voltages are +0.2v for DIMM, +0.1v for MCH and FSB. Don't forget I'm running the DS3R board (same Northbridge though) and a different CPU.

I think that either your FSB is too fast for your memory (450mhz on DDR-800 is not always guaranteed), or you need to add another 0.1v to the FSB and/or DIMM.

A 1 hour OCCT linpack shows your CPU is stable. Maybe you should try dropping the vcore voltage 1 point at a time until you can get linpack to crash. This will allow your CPU to run cooler, and you'll save energy too. (you are running manual voltages?).

This is as low as it would go. If I go down a point, it will fail prime95 and most likely linpack as well. I got the current vcore by only testing with prime95. Yes, I am running manual voltages.

My Voltages are +0.2v for DIMM, +0.1v for MCH and FSB. Don't forget I'm running the DS3R board (same Northbridge though) and a different CPU.

I think that either your FSB is too fast for your memory (450mhz on DDR-800 is not always guaranteed), or you need to add another 0.1v to the FSB and/or DIMM.

I'll try this. Yeah, the memory might not be fast enough. Might need to drop it to 400mhz at 4-4-4-12, which is where it is rated. Although it is known that this ram is a good overclocker.

On the USB printer issue. How do I use USB prober to log the stuff that is happening? I was able to replicate the USB printing problem and started the "USB Logger" on level 3 in the USB Prober app, but didnt see any output in there. The printing manager simply says "Stopped" for status and the printer says "Printing".

Here is what the Bus Probe in USB Logger says:

Full Speed device @ 2 (0x3A200000): .............................................   Composite device: "PSC 1600 series"
Device Descriptor   
	Descriptor Version Number:   0x0200
	Device Class:   0   (Composite)
	Device Subclass:   0
	Device Protocol:   0
	Device MaxPacketSize:   8
	Device VendorID/ProductID:   0x03F0/0x4811   (Hewlett Packard)
	Device Version Number:   0x0100
	Number of Configurations:   1
	Manufacturer String:   1 "HP"
	Product String:   2 "PSC 1600 series"
	Serial Number String:   3 "MY53GD31RFL0"
Configuration Descriptor   
	Length (and contents):   152
	Number of Interfaces:   4
	Configuration Value:   1
	Attributes:   0xC0 (self-powered)
	MaxPower:   2 ma
	Interface #0 - Vendor-specific   
	Interface #1 - Printer   
	Interface #2 - Vendor-specific   
	Interface #2 - Vendor-specific (#1)   
	Interface #3 - Mass Storage/SCSI

On the USB printer issue. How do I use USB prober to log the stuff that is happening? I was able to replicate the USB printing problem and started the "USB Logger" on level 3 in the USB Prober app, but didnt see any output in there. The printing manager simply says "Stopped" for status and the printer says "Printing".

You'll have to put the log level up until you see something useful. Don't do it all at once though or you'll be flooded with info, and it'll be hell to find any needles in that haystack.

Seperate Command

DSMOS here is attached

First of all, this is a great guide! I have installed a retail of Leopard but I can't boot. Is there a special BIOS setup to make for UD3P-Motherboard? got error message " OS not selected"!

Thanks for help.

Cheers

First of all, this is a great guide! I have installed a retail of Leopard but I can't boot. Is there a special BIOS setup to make for UD3P-Motherboard? got error message " OS not selected"!

Thanks for help.

Cheers

SATA should be in AHCI Mode

Make sure you installed Chameleon

please help me..!

I have a computer,

P4 2.8 Ghz (support SSE 3), MB Gigabyte G31M-ES2C, RAM 4 Gb DDR, VGA onboard Intel GMA 3100, HDD SATA 160 Gb.

I instal iAtkos v4.1 10.5.4 and success. But i can't go to Mac OSX dekstop coz when boot there is problem "System boot failure,please insert disk system and press enter".

what should i do?

Thanks..

Ok. tried IDE, works. No orange icons on internal drives only on external :)

It's very strange, same issue occurred with Pioneer DVR-216 DVD drive.

May be it's power management problem - in AHCI mode OS X shut drives down after few minutes then they stop respond.

How OS X on real Mac Pro can recognize if drives are internal or external?

In AHCI mode no orange icons on internal drives.

I know this thread is old, but someone else will have this question in the future. Yes, this is a power management issue that has affected real macs as well for years. OS X cannot wake up some brands of optical drives after putting them to sleep. Disable putting hard disk(s) to sleep in energy saver and this problem WILL go away.