 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Does anyone have instructions/kexts packs for a P5K deluxe or premium? Thanks in advance

I've had success with a retail installation on a standard P5K. See the first post and then the steps I outlined above for details. I used the 10.5.6 kexts linked by Karaaheka in the first post. I used Attansic kexts for onboard ethernet (available through the OSx86 Tools database) and the ALC883 kexts from within the Kalyway ISO (one ALC883 package I found on these forums didn't work for some reason).

Check the Asus website for technical specifications to find the exact type of audio and onboard ethernet components on the P5K Deluxe.

Good luck!

Addendum: Also found last night - A guide for Leopard on P5K-xx

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79096

Worked partially once with 10.5.5 img retail dvd + combo 10.5.6 update but would have to be booted from original Hackintosh drive via boot_uuid. It had an IDE HD and a SATA drive, so I thought it was this combination that was wrong for independent boot. So I got 2 SATA HD did the same thing as in my first try and NOTHING. Wont boot, even from boot_uuid from main Hackintosh. At best Ive been able to get to an initial booting but hangs with the Still waiting for root device, which I never had problems.

I have an Intel mobo, DG35EC, and when trying the normal Retail Installation to a single HD, everything went fine but could boot. Then I tried setting with fdisk -e to that device and it booted. (I later read somebody saying the same thing about Intel mobo...very weird...somebody should confirm this).

So I did the same thing to the Raid HDs (2) and surprise I could now see ONE of the 2 Boot OSX drives from the Raid. But when I choose one, I get a Panic somethng aboutn launchd not beeing able to do something.

Ive tried this setup at leat 10 times. I finally installed reatil dvds to the 2 HDs which I wanted to use for Raid, confirmed that they booted (after the fdisk fix) and then went again to set the RAID with these two HDs, but result was the same. Could not see the Boot OSX patitions or anything from the RAID, will not boot from another Hackintosh with boot_uuid.

I will not try again withe the IDE + SATA combination cause Im really fed up and they are 2 different sizes.

If anybody knows how to fix this Ill try next weekend.

Thanks.

Ok having problems with a Shuttle SG31G2. First of all the post patch does not work. I cant get it to do anything it says access denied even when I do sudo -s. so I do most of the file manually and repair it manually. I reboot and it goes to the fail boot thingy. I am having major problems with it. I am running Kalyway 10.5.4 but I want to get it to run 10.5.6 native if possible. Thanks.

Everything went as planned...great! On first boot I get the "still waiting on root device"

I have 10.5.4 working perfectly...installed this on a different HD to give 10.5.6 a shot.

My hardware:

p5e-vm hdmi

q6600

ati 3870

Any ideas on what went wrong?

BTW...I used the 10.5.5 kext post patch....then did the same thing for 10.5.6 kext post patch (thinking it would overwrite them...think it should have, right?).

Any help?

Thanks,

/mdg.

Everything went as planned...great! On first boot I get the "still waiting on root device"

BTW...I used the 10.5.5 kext post patch....then did the same thing for 10.5.6 kext post patch (thinking it would overwrite them...think it should have, right?).

Use only the kext pack specifically recommended for 10.5.6. If you want to be sure, you can copy the updated and patched kexts you used for 10.5.5 into a folder containing those for 10.5.6, and click "Do not replace" for "All". You can then install this new package using UInstaller or OSx86Tools, and manually remove what needs to be deleted from the Extensions folder; or you can just rewrite the postpatch script, which is very straightforward.

The kexts wouldn't get overwritten only if authentication failed, which is unlikely when you've already loggined in using Terminal. A further precautionary step is to make sure you use Disk Utility or some other application to repair permissions on your new partition or drive prior to restarting. As well, flag -f when booting for the first time on that drive, so the extension cache is rebuilt.

If you still get that error after a cache rebuild, then you may need an older AHCI- or ATA-related kext, or another patched version altogether. Since you have a P5 series motherboard, try the JMicron controller you used for 10.5.5. Go through the whole list of 10.5.5 kexts if need be, restarting to isolate each one (except for SMBIOS, which is a necessary update; and HDA, which is needed for audio and is unlikely to cause kernel panics or root errors anyway.)

Use only the kext pack specifically recommended for 10.5.6. If you want to be sure, you can copy the updated and patched kexts you used for 10.5.5 into a folder containing those for 10.5.6, and click "Do not replace" for "All". You can then install this new package using UInstaller or OSx86Tools, and manually remove what needs to be deleted from the Extensions folder; or you can just rewrite the postpatch script, which is very straightforward.

The kexts wouldn't get overwritten only if authentication failed, which is unlikely when you've already loggined in using Terminal. A further precautionary step is to make sure you use Disk Utility or some other application to repair permissions on your new partition or drive prior to restarting. As well, flag -f when booting for the first time on that drive, so the extension cache is rebuilt.

If you still get that error after a cache rebuild, then you may need an older AHCI- or ATA-related kext, or another patched version altogether. Since you have a P5 series motherboard, try the JMicron controller you used for 10.5.5. Go through the whole list of 10.5.5 kexts if need be, restarting to isolate each one (except for SMBIOS, which is a necessary update; and HDA, which is needed for audio and is unlikely to cause kernel panics or root errors anyway.)

EDIT: I used only 10.5.6 Kext zip file and still get waiting error.

Can someone post what to do after installing Retail Leo and then the 10.5.6 update? Simple style...maybe like "after you do 10.5.6 update...delete these files, take these specific files (because there are like 4-5 Kext zips for downloading...which is the right one??) and put them here, etc."

I've done these installs dozens and dozens of times over the years so I'm fairly comfortable with doing this...I just need one good set of files...

Alternately, is there another installer thread that I should try?

Thanks in advance...

/mdg.

Edited by mdg

mdg: There's this thread, though it's a little more tedious

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

As well, you can open up the postpatch shell scripts and take a look at what is removed. If you're installing off a mounted image, it'll be very easy to just go into the target drive's Extensions folder and delete or transfer the unwanted kexts.

It was the dsmos file...i just copied it from my 10.5.4 install and voila...I already have this 10.5.6 running smoothly.

Hhmmm, it's noticeably snappier or is it just my PC? I mean noticeably...

This is a good thing ;)

Hy,

Some trouble setting up any OSx86, so I'm now trying retail.

HW:

MOBO: GA-X48-DS5

CPU: Intel Quad 2.8

Graphic: GF 9800 GT

Sata0: 300 gb

Sata1: DVD

tried different boot-312 cds, with this generic.iso, (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288&st=20&p=803725&&do=findComment&comment=803725)

I got to the language selection, (nvcush is not working so good for the 9800 cause of the blank white drop down menus) after this a installer msg pops up, something like "OS X cant be installed on this machine".

Has someone a Idea how I can get a working Leopard? I also don't mind if its not retail.

HW:

MOBO: GA-X48-DS5

CPU: Intel Quad 2.8

Graphic: GF 9800 GT

Sata0: 300 gb

Sata1: DVD

tried different boot-312 cds, with this generic.iso, (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288&st=20&p=803725&&do=findComment&comment=803725)

I got to the language selection, (nvcush is not working so good for the 9800 cause of the blank white drop down menus) after this a installer msg pops up, something like "OS X cant be installed on this machine".

Don't install nVKush or nVinject for the 9800. Search the forums for support on this video card. I know there are a few who have it running well with a retail installation and EFIv9 GFX strings. Once you've successfully booted into Leopard, even without graphic acceleration and limited resolution, use OSx86 Universal Installer (also named UInstaller). You can find it via Google or in these forums.

For Sleep to work make sure in Energy Saver -Restart Automatically after a Power Failure is checked Credit goes to Jan Bird

29z6gwn.png

strange that in my system, there's no option to restart automatically after power failure in pref>energy saver>options.

only allow power button to sleep the computer that's available.

anyone know why? maybe this is the problem that make my system won't sleep or shutdown properly?

For Sleep to work make sure in Energy Saver -Restart Automatically after a Power Failure is checked Credit goes to Jan Bird

strange that in my system, there's no option to restart automatically after power failure in pref>energy saver>options.

only allow power button to sleep the computer that's available.

anyone know why? maybe this is the problem that make my system won't sleep or shutdown properly?

I've had this same problem of a limited-function Energy Saver preference panel ever since my retail installation, and my sleep is broken as well. Is it enabled by a power management kext?

ps. I've already tried the customized EHCISleepEnabler and IOUSBFamily kexts. They don't work for me.

me too...i wonder if it's GFX related? i use GFX strings from EFIStudio.

Hi, if I use CCC to clone my install, how do I get the clone to work? I cloned...went fine. I then ran the Chameleon EFi 1.0.12 installer on the new clone drive...said it worked. I then rebooted and it stopped at the third line saying, "boot0:error". Any insights on how to get the clone to work?

I did the clone first, then Chameleon...is this order OK? Or is it Chameleon then CCC?

Thanks in advance...

/mdg.

PS. And if there is a way to fix this error without having to "re-clone", I'd be greatful ;)

Hi, if I use CCC to clone my install, how do I get the clone to work? I cloned...went fine. I then ran the Chameleon EFi 1.0.12 installer on the new clone drive...said it worked. I then rebooted and it stopped at the third line saying, "boot0:error". Any insights on how to get the clone to work?

I did the clone first, then Chameleon...is this order OK? Or is it Chameleon then CCC?

Thanks in advance...

/mdg.

PS. And if there is a way to fix this error without having to "re-clone", I'd be greatful :angel:

If I remember it correctly the boot0 error means that the partition you are booting from is not set to active and a quick search confirms this so you will want to check this thread, BTW diskutil works just fine for what you are doing I have never had an error booting after using it then installing chameleon to the cloned partition.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

If I remember it correctly the boot0 error means that the partition you are booting from is not set to active and a quick search confirms this so you will want to check this thread, BTW diskutil works just fine for what you are doing I have never had an error booting after using it then installing chameleon to the cloned partition.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

Now i get:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

and then just blinking cursor...

this is too complicated :D ...with my 10.5.4, GUID, EFI v8, I would just do CCC and then run the EFI sh script and voila...the drive just worked.

should i start from beginning and re-image? and set Chameleon again (before or after cloning)? or can i fix this existing clone to make it usable?

Thoughts...thanks in advance.

/mdg.

Now i get:

and then just blinking cursor...

this is too complicated :D ...with my 10.5.4, GUID, EFI v8, I would just do CCC and then run the EFI sh script and voila...the drive just worked.

should i start from beginning and re-image? and set Chameleon again (before or after cloning)? or can i fix this existing clone to make it usable?

Thoughts...thanks in advance.

/mdg.

I would try it again perhaps using the diskutil with this I always go GUID partitioned in the Options format the partition for the install HFS+ first then choose the partition to be cloned as the source the other as the destination click the restore button then install chameleon at the end once it is done and it should just work if you use a DSDT.aml you may want to make sure it got copied as well.

Now i get to the next step....

boot1h:error

the files on the original and the clone drive are identical...i'm thinking that it has something to do with chameleon or boot?

Thanks,

/mdg.

boot1h:error

the files on the original and the clone drive are identical...i'm thinking that it has something to do with chameleon or boot?

Thanks,

/mdg.

Should be booting how exactly did you clone/what others steps were done?

Thanks,

/mdg.

Yes, for most cloning and restore methods, you'll need to reinstall Chameleon / EFI. The little partition that is created by EFI utililties doesn't get copied, so now the system can't tell where the boot files are.