 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

What I like to test:

1st - Highpoint 3520 Raid Controller under OSX86!

2nd - Speed of 8 SSDs in a Raid-5 Array on the Highpoint 3520 Raid Controller

The Highpoint Contoller should be able to max out the speed and performance even of cheap MLC SSDisks,

cause of his 256MB Cache.

I would be very happy to achieve read-rates from 120-130 MB/s and write-rates round about 60-70 MB/s.

In a Raid-5 this should be something about +-800MB/S read and 420MB/s write.

I will give you all the details in setting up the stuff, installing OSX etc. in Details when the hardware arrives.

Please let us know what you got from speed :D

What do you get as disk space in total?

I'm waiting for reviews of the

A-DATA XPG SSD 32GB (read: 170MB/s • write: 100MB/s)

Patriot Warp SSD 32GB (read: 175MB/s • write: 100MB/s)

Super Talent MasterDrive OX 32GB (read: 150MB/s • write: 100MB/s)

Great guide!

I have two Macbook Pro's and many PC's, and my son and I are building a Hac for fun.

It is an Intel DG31PR board with a Q6600 and 4Gb and 1Tb. and cost about $400.

Kalyway is perfect with a sound patch but need to be on 10.5.4 or better to run some software.

I have followed up until I launch the install...

open osinstall.mpkg

The install says "Alert This software cannot be installed on this computer"

I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 and I made the disk image from my OS 10.5.4 disk.

I also have a 10.5.2 disk I could try.

Anyone else see this problem?

I installed the 10.5.6 Combo update, ran the chameleon EFI installer against my OS drive attached via USB adaptor, reconnected the drive, bootup was slow, but subsequent reboots were faster.

Everything is working PERFECT now! my firewire 400 card is not only recognized, but I can finally connect my Canon HV30 HD camera and import video using iMovie! i'm incredibly happy now. :)

Merry Christmas all!

I'm booting from software RAID using the Chameleon 1.0.11 bootloader.

Right now, I have to put all the kexts to support my system under /System/Library/Extensions. Nothing in /Extra seems to be read at boot. I even tried copying /Extra to the 'Boot OSX' partition of my boot drive, but it doesn't get read from there either. How can I make the /Extra folder work with RAID booting?

I'm booting from software RAID using the Chameleon 1.0.11 bootloader.

Right now, I have to put all the kexts to support my system under /System/Library/Extensions. Nothing in /Extra seems to be read at boot. I even tried copying /Extra to the 'Boot OSX' partition of my boot drive, but it doesn't get read from there either. How can I make the /Extra folder work with RAID booting?

when booting press F8 than boot with -f

@karaakeha1

Thank you very much for the latest AppleSMBIOS.kext. Now I can get digital out (red light's on), and cracking sound's gone. I can use latest AppleHDA.kext of 10.5.6 without patch, only editing info.plists of AppleHDAController,kext and AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext.

Also, I would like to suggest other people to try your latest AppleSMBIOS.kext if you don't mind.

Note:

My MB is GA-EP35-DS3P, using Chameleon 1.0.12 to boot from /Extra.

when booting press F8 than boot with -f

I've tried this and it doesn't work.

The screen where the boot loaders reads com.apple.Boot.plist and loads extensions scrolls by too quickly for me to see any error messages, but as far as I can tell when you boot from software RAID the bootloader loads 'com.apple.boot.S/System/Library/Extensions.mkext' from the RAID boot partition, and nothing else.

I have a /Extra both on the boot partition, and on my root partition, and they contain the same thing:

bash-3.2# ls -ld /Extra

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Dec 29 16:58 /Extra

bash-3.2# ls -ld /Extra/Extensions.mkext

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2129601 Dec 28 02:03 /Extra/Extensions.mkext

Is Chameleon supposed to load /Extra from the RAID boot partition, or the RAID volume? Are the bootloader messages logged anywhere? They're not visible in dmesg output.

Hello, i've a small problem u may be able to resole. I've just bought 8 gigs ram memory...before i was with two only. But the computer accept only 4gigs max..

I'm using a p35ds3l from gigabyte, a core 2 duo 3,0ghz, nvidia 512 9500gt. I've intal leopard using a retail DVD, and the bootlaoder is DarwinX86 5.1.x

If I insall the 8 gigs, the computer reboot just after 1 second after the green screen with the black apple.

Please can u help me .

And I'm sorry for my english speaking...i'm french.

Thks u.

Hello, i've a small problem u may be able to resole. I've just bought 8 gigs ram memory...before i was with two only. But the computer accept only 4gigs max..

I'm using a p35ds3l from gigabyte, a core 2 duo 3,0ghz, nvidia 512 9500gt. I've intal leopard using a retail DVD, and the bootlaoder is DarwinX86 5.1.x

If I insall the 8 gigs, the computer reboot just after 1 second after the green screen with the black apple.

Please can u help me .

And I'm sorry for my english speaking...i'm french.

Thks u.

I used to have that board running with 8gb without problems. I would suggest downloading memtest86+ v2.10 then running it to make sure you do not have a bad stick. If it passes this go onto the BIOS and check your settings to make sure that is is not overclocked, bad timings things like that and you may need to up the voltage going to the ram as all these Gigabyte boards seem to default to 1.8v so if your ram requires 1.9v or 2.0v you need to add a +.1 or .2 to have them running at their rated voltage.

Hello MacUser2525,

Thks fur ur answer, I've check my stcks, and they work great. They seems to need only 1,8V: So just a question, is it a problem if i send 1,9v or 2,0v to hope they will be more stable if i imagin the voltage send for two stick is just a little less send for 4 sticks?

Will that burn my sticks?

Thks for ur answer. Happy new year!

Hello MacUser2525,

Thks fur ur answer, I've check my stcks, and they work great. They seems to need only 1,8V: So just a question, is it a problem if i send 1,9v or 2,0v to hope they will be more stable if i imagin the voltage send for two stick is just a little less send for 4 sticks?

Will that burn my sticks?

You should be okay up to ~2.0v but you really should try to figure out what the problem really is perhaps upgrading to the latest BIOS for the board may help. Also do you have any IDE devices connected if so then disconnect them to allow it to boot then replace the JMicronATA.kext with the attached one hopefully this will allow them to work without causing kernel panics.

Thks for ur answer. Happy new year!

Your welcome and same to you.

kext_for_JMicron_ATA.zip

Has anyone tryed using the software disc included with Mac book Pro's versus the Retail Leo Disc? It doesn't appear to contain the Install OS.mpkg file. There is only a Install Mac OS X Unix Executable File and when it is opened in Terminal I am prompted to reboot the computer to start the install. My Reboot is not working in my currently installed OSX so I am in a catch22. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Q9550

GA-X48-DQ6

Has anyone tryed using the software disc included with Mac book Pro's versus the Retail Leo Disc? It doesn't appear to contain the Install OS.mpkg file. There is only a Install Mac OS X Unix Executable File and when it is opened in Terminal I am prompted to reboot the computer to start the install. My Reboot is not working in my currently installed OSX so I am in a catch22. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Q9550

GA-X48-DQ6

No Catch 22 at all that disk is hardware locked to those machines so it will never work even if you can reboot you need the retail install disk.

Hey MacUser2525, acrosx20,

sorry, but you are not right! I am able to run my Mac OS X Install Disc, with was part of my MacPro from ideneb 10.5.5 OS X! Version 10.5.2!

Don't know why, but i can install a OS X from thart Disc. It also works from the DMG i created from the Disk, and this one is definitly not a Retail version!

So feel free to try it! When I try to run that setup from a regular Vanilla OS X, the look comes up like you said.

By myself did more than 5 Installatons that way!

So ideneb must have a setup witch enables the startup from that kind of system disks!

Hey MacUser2525, acrosx20,

sorry, but you are not right! I am able to run my Mac OS X Install Disc, with was part of my MacPro from ideneb 10.5.5 OS X! Version 10.5.2!

Don't know why, but i can install a OS X from thart Disc...

Given that this thread is for Leopard (Retail) DVD, the answer is substantially right.

Apple's trick to "lock" the disc to specific hardware is a script inside the InstallOSX.mpkg.

It checks for the presence of a particular version of the bootrom on the board.

Various OSX86 distros bypass or replace that hardware check. You can make a

slipstreamed installer from a MacBookPro or any Apple h/w specific DVD,

but you cannot install from that DVD onto a genuine Apple Mac if it gives a

wrong answer to the bootrom question.

Yeah, you are right!

But he asked if it is possible, and from some os x distros it is possible to install from that kind of DVD. So if he likes to have a Vanilla Install he can easy do it the same way we do it with the retail DVD. Also with the DVD witch comes with a MacBook Pro!

Only thing is, that this installation has to be done from one of the patched distros!

after install AppleAHCIPort.Kext

still waiting for root device

sys:

MOBO: GA-EP35-DS3R

CPU: C2D E6750

VIDEO: nvidia 7600 GS 256mb

1 SATA 250gb HDD

1 IDE/ATAPI DVD Drive.

Please Help............................................................

thanks in advance