 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

This setup worked perfectly for me for quite some time on my Dell Precision T5400. Until 10.5.6, that is. Prior to 10.5.6, I could install a vanilla leopard and only disable the AppleIntelCPU and the adding the DSMOS kexts. However, updating to 10.5.6 failed; installing a clean system from the 10.5.6 original DVD failed (using these methods addressed in the first message of the thread); even the Leo4All, XXX, iPC, and iDeneb 10.5.6 installers all break. They all break with the "Waiting for root device" hang during the first boot after the install/upgrade. Usually, this indicated a failure in the chipset driver. The Intel ICH drivers always worked for me in the past but not this time.

I'm losing my mind trying to figure out why I'm stuck on 10.5.5. I've rebuilt and retried this thing so many times! Does anyone have any good ideas?

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Item #: N82E16813128371

Hello InsanelyMac I am intrested in building a new Hackintosh using iPC OSX86 full

I just wanted to know if all these Specs will work ok using Hackintosh. please review my full specs below and please let me know?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115041

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

Item #: N82E16820145184

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Item #: N82E16822136075

SAPPHIRE 100248L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814102794

Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK - OEM

Item #: N82E16827129032

mushkin 550200 550W ATX12V SLI Ready Modular Power Supply - Retail

Item #: N82E16817812002

I want to thank everyone on this website. you guys are the best

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with this. I had a working RAID10 set up using PCEFIv9 up to last wednesday, and haven't had it working since. I followed the method here to see if I could get different results, but no matter what I do I get the messages below. This is a cloned install that I know for a fact works. I have tried NVKush (what worked originally for months and months), EFI strings, the IONetworkingFamily kext from this thread, repairing permissions, diskwarrior, every last thing I can think of. I even tried a two fresh installs from the JaS DVD.

I'm at my wits end and need my computer! Any ideas?

post-65366-1236049103_thumb.jpg

Guys, I know this forum doesn't allow you to post torrents.

I've started a new site for myself. It has a forum that's in the works. A lot of people have asked where to get the Kalyway, iAitkos, iDeneb, etc. Distros. Normally you have to search the torrent sites for it... Well some people aren't as, let's say smart, as others lol.

What I did was add a Hackintosh section to my forum. I have an ISO/Distro section in there. I do allow people to post torrent LINKS on my site. I DO NOT host, nor allow you to upload any illegal files/torrents onto my server.

As of right now the site is empty. No posts or links as of yet. I would love for those of you that already know the torrent links to go and post them or PM them to me.

This should make it easier for those looking for Hackintosh Distros.

The site is called MY HANGOUT ONLINE Click Here to go to Site

I am in NO WAY trying to replace this forum. You should still come here for all your hackintosh resources. I am just trying to collect the torrent links to make it easier for those of you to try this awesomeness of owning your own Hackintosh.

To the mods: again, i do not wish to step on your toes so if i'm out of line please delete the post. If i'm not, I would love to have the site linked just to make it easier for those looking for Distros, to find them.

Can anyone help me install 10.5.6 on a dell dimension 8400? I tried to post a question but it got deleted. I'm sorry I didn't know the rules. Any help out there? I did a MINI 9 install myself no problems, but I can't find instructions for 10.5.6 on a dimension 8400. Please don't just delete this...I'm honestly looking for help.

Tank

Pella, IA

@karakehaa-> is the front audio working on your board like a ep45-ud3p? I've got a p35-ds4 and I am looking for a better motherboard.

Are you still updating your post as your latest update was on 22 dec :D

Yes EP45-UD3P front audio fully working

Whats going on everyone. I have this same setup (+ a mix from boot132 cd) and i have a question. I can't seem to get any information displayed about my pc on the abuot this mac. It says unknown cpu and can't decide waht kind of mac it is.

Now i know it has to do with SMBIOS. I have PC-EFIV9 with the SMBIOS.kext loaded during boot. It doesnt appear to be having any effect. How can i make my ipc recognize my cpu, and fill out all correspoding info on the about this mac page?

In iDeneb 4, it's populated with information. I know its just aesthetic, but its important to me.

PS: Please remember, i have pc-efiv9

I've been trying to create a raid 0 array with 2 hds but it won't boot.

1. I added the Raid disk in disk utility (named Test), dragged the two disks I wanted to include and created it.

2. Opened terminal, installed Leopard, then ran post patch

3. Put raid identifier number in boot.plist in "Test"

4. Dragged the chameleon files into the home folder of "Test"

5. In terminal typed:

cd /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/Chameleon\ Files\

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk2

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s3

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk2s3

diskutil mount disk1s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX

diskutil unmount disk1s3

diskutil mount disk2s3

cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX

diskutil unmount disk2s3

When I mounted disk1s3 and disk2s3, a disk called Boot OSX mounted. I looked inside at the boot.plist and it was the same as the one on "Test"

6. I boot off the first HD and get:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done (it stops there)

If I boot off the second HD I get:

boot0: GPT

boot0: booting

boot1: startupfile_ (and it stops there)

Did I miss a step somewhere?

03/14/2009: Still trying. Here is a shot of my Boot OSX. Am I missing any files? Shouldn't cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX install the boot file from the chameleon files folder? It isn't there, and if I put it there it doesn't work.

picture1x.png

03/14/2009: Have to give up for now. :) I'll need my main install Monday and it takes a while to reinstall 500 GB from my backup. I have it stored on a backup drive since the hard drive it use to be on was going to be in the raid array. :)

Excuse me for the noob question. I have been reading this forum for nearly a month and a half to try and understand the best way to install OS X. There are many divergent paths but this one 'SEEMS' to be the most straight forward but before I go forward I want to make sure I understand the philosophy. From what I understand you essentially:

1) Install OS X 10.5.6 on an external drive connected to a mac

2) You modify the kexts to support your hardware

3) You install the Chameleon EFI emulator

4) You move the drive to your target machine

5) You boot and fix any outstanding issues.

Is this essentially correct? If so can I replace the EFI emualtor with a modified bios for my board? I have no issues with or fear of flashing my bios. Aslo can I just copy my OS X partition from my Mac using Carbon Copy rather than reinstall? I have done this for other Macs and it works great for that.

I plan to install tonight so any feedback would be very welcome.

Excuse me for the noob question. I have been reading this forum for nearly a month and a half to try and understand the best way to install OS X. There are many divergent paths but this one 'SEEMS' to be the most straight forward but before I go forward I wnat to make sure I understand the philosophy. From what I understand you essentially:

1) Install OS X 10.5.6 on an external drive connected to a mac

2) You modify the kexts to support your hardware

3) You install the Chameleon EFI emulator

Yes.

4) You move the drive to your target machine

5) You boot and fix any outstanding issues.

Better off booting from the external to confirm success if a no go then you can simply connect the drive back to the Mac for further modification rather than ripping it out of the new machine to do the same.

If so can I replace the EFI emualtor with a modified bios for my board?

You can replace that with the modified chameleonsm boot file then you enter the settings desired in the com.apple.Boot.plist. Or do you mean the decryption/efi injection? I so then no you need the AppleDecryptor or dsmos .kexts installed and either the chameleon or PC EFI boot loaders installed BIOS hack won't work.

Aslo can I just copy my OS X partition from my Mac using Carbon Copy rather than reinstall? I have done this for other Macs and it works great for that.

Can't see why not I usually use diskutil for that idea once it has restored to the external it is a matter of installing chameleon on the drive then booting on the new machine, so with the proper modifications for your install to boot on a PC it should work for you.

Wow thanks for the quick answer! I meant do I still need to use chameleon if I am installing a new custom bios as per this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144020

Also is 10.5.6 an issue for the initial boot? Or do I need to boot in a lower version then upgrade?

Thanks again!

You will always need the chameleon or PC EFI boot loader regardless of BIOS installed and no issues your good to go with 10.5.6 its way better than having to upgrade once done an install anyways.

Kexts and Bios

I have just completed my image as per the excellent instructions at the beginning of this thread but am having trouble understanding how to install device kexts and which incompatible ones to remove.

I am preparing an HD attached to my real mac and was wondering which are the best kext tools. I have seen OSx86 Tools, and EFI tool.

1) What is the best Kext installation tool?

2) Is there a complete list of kexts for an Asus P5Q?

3) Is it necessary or desirable to use a custom bios or does Chameleon completely obviate the need for them?

4) Do I need to put cpu=1 somewhere or has that problem been resolved?

As always, thank you all for your excellent advice.

Kexts and Bios

I have just completed my image as per the excellent instructions at the beginning of this thread but am having trouble understanding how to install device kexts and which incompatible ones to remove.

I am preparing an HD attached to my real mac and was wondering which are the best kext tools. I have seen OSx86 Tools, and EFI tool.

1) What is the best Kext installation tool?

2) Is there a complete list of kexts for an Asus P5Q?

3) Is it necessary or desirable to use a custom bios or does Chameleon completely obviate the need for them?

4) Do I need to put cpu=1 somewhere or has that problem been resolved?

As always, thank you all for your excellent advice.

Anyone? Please?

I am stuck at the Apple logo, can't even get to verbose. Not a root problem but I suspect graphic card. I have a Geforce 9400 and the drivers for it. How do I use EFI studio to change the string in the image on the drive attached to my mac? It seems like it can only work on the local drive.

Thanks!

I am stuck at the Apple logo, can't even get to verbose. Not a root problem but I suspect graphic card. I have a Geforce 9400 and the drivers for it. How do I use EFI studio to change the string in the image on the drive attached to my mac? It seems like it can only work on the local drive.

Thanks!

Use the copy to clipboard option that was there last time I used it then mount your external and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file manually pasting in the hex part in the section you create/edit the one already there to contain the new string.

Use the copy to clipboard option that was there last time I used it then mount your external and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file manually pasting in the hex part in the section you create/edit the one already there to contain the new string.

I booted with the USB drive and used osx86 to edit change it all, still no love. The thing doesn't even start enough to get to a verbose. What should I look at? What device would cause that?

Going crazy trying to understand, here is what I did:

1) Attached new usb hard disk to my Mac unibody

2) Formatted driver as HFS

3) Installed 10.5.6 on the drive

4) Used chameleon installer to install chameleon

4) Used OSX86 tools to install 10.5.6 Kext pac (I have a P5Q, will these work?)

5) Set drive to AHCI in bios

6) Moved drive from USB enclosure to sata on hackintosh

7) Tried to boot

I tried both with and without the 10.5.6 kext pack kexts. With them it freezes as soon as the Apple logo comes up and I never even get the progress wheel. Without them I get the hpet error.

What am I doing wrong?

Got my Asus P5Q working, including Quartz on my 9400 GT with Aqua Man drivers. Here is MY simplified guide for P5Q:

1) Download modified bios on USB stick and use bios utility to flash (no other way to do this on P5Q apparently)

2) Attach drive (drive in USB or Firewire enclosure) to my Mac

3) Mount and install Leopard 10.5.6 as per instructions at beginning of thread

4) Download and install Chameleon

5) Download and copy OSX86Tools and (Aqua Man drivers if you are using a 9400GT) to new drive

6) Remove drive from enclosure and install in your hackintosh

7) Boot your new hackintosh

8) Install video drivers drivers

9) Use OSX86tools to create EFI string for video card

10) Reboot and install kexts as needed using OSX86tools

I will make my own thread on this later and be more precise.

Hi,

thank you for the great HowTo.

All works fine.

I have only some Problems :

- I can't open "About this Mac" - when I open it, the screen flashes and nothing happen

- In the System Profiler, the CPU was shown only with 600Mhz and the FSB with 200Mhz (E4600 C2D with 2,4Ghz)

- The System Profiles shows my RAM as 4x 1GB Ram without frequency (installed 4x 2GB 800Mhz)

This effects, that when I would like to install some software like Safari 4 Beta that i become the error that this system isn't supportet.

I tried to install serveral versions of AppleSMBIOS.kext (27v3, 27v6, 28, KalyWay, iATKOS 5i and older versions) and I can't fix it.

Either the "About this Mac" crashes or it shows the wrong frequency.

Yesterday I have googled the whole day and can't find any solution ...

When I boot the iATKOS 5i DVD, I can see in the System Profiler the right informations (except the RAM).

I hope that someone have an idea and can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Alex

My system :

Mainboard : MSI 975x Platinum PowerUP Edition

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4600

Video : XFX GeForce 7600 GT Fatal1ty 256MB