OSX86 10.5 Leo [ToH]-RC2 SSE3/SSE2 Intel Only

theSlug

379 posts in this topic

Kernel panics on Pentium D 3.4ghz dual core, cant even get it to boot most of the time and when it does miraculously boot for some reason after a minute or so it kernel panics again, only sees one core the one time i got it to actually boot too - anyone got any luck running this on a Pentium D?

System has been running 10.4.4 for 12 months with no issues with QE/CI etc working out of the box and even onboard sound working so leopard not working is kinda disappointing -_-

ASUS p5somethingorother (Intel 865PE chipset with a working in Tiger onboard sound and networking)

Pentium D 3.4 Dual Core (should do sse3 and 64bit right?)

2gig DDR400

ATI X1600

not much luck yet, dont get enough time when it does work to even run the fixboot script.

I’ve installed this version w/o problem, I did an update from my tiger installation, anyway the installation was very slow, but I don’t need install once again a lot of stuff, I need patch adobe cs3 suite (the apps loads then crash).

(I did the installation tonight don’t tested other software yet) Already works : machteripper, popcorn, quicktime, extensis fusion.

Thanks to this great community ;)

Here’s screenshot:

imagen1rf3wi7.jpg

My system specs are in my sig, if helps spmebody :)

I have to say I am very delighted with ToH 10.5. It installed nicely and works great, only a few minor inconviences. My "Mac" can't got to sleep, once it's in sleep, I can't wake it up. It has to be shut down and reboot. Does anyone know how to fix this? Can anyone tell me what's involve, perhaps I can go it myself oce I know a bit more.M

works pretty well on compaq c500, upgrade from uphuck 10.4.9 and everything works as before
Hi nirvanaguy19I have a compaq C500 as well. I have Leopard on my C500, I am wondering if you have any luck with the wireless - Boardcom 4311? Right now I am using a USB wireless, which works OK. But would really be nice to be able to get the internal one working.And also, initially it has no sound, but I install the AzaliaAudio.pkg, Now I have sound from the speakers, but I don't have headphone output. Does yours have headphone output?and do you also have the sleep but not waking up problem?I am wondering if these problems are C500 hardware issues.Thanks.M

Hi,

I've downloaded the ToH release a few days ago and tried to install it.

Everything goes well during the installation. So then I reboot for applying the "patch.sh".

This also goes wel (that's what it sais though :) ). But if i then reboot my laptop, i get a kernel panic every time. It does'nt even get that far in to loading, it's almost immedeatly.

Also after installation, when i should reboot, the installer goes into some kind of terminal mode and displays folowing message. The system is then unresponsive and has to be forced to restart by holding the power switch

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A7BED): Kernel trap at 0x003eb626, type 14=page fault, registers:
|
|
| 4 lines of something like cr0: 0x0x8001003b
|
Error code: 0x00000000

Debugger called: 
Backtrace 
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:
9A581

Kernel version:
Darwin kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct 9 21:35:55 PDT 2007; Tree:xnu1228~1/RELEASE_I386

And if i then reboot into my hard drive, I get the "grey screen of death" saying i should restart. And in the background I have the same text as shown above, with one difference:

Mac OS version:
Not Yet Set

Can someone please help me out? I've tried several reinstalls. I have even removed every other partition/os on my hard disk.

My specs are:

Acer Aspire 5684WLMi

- core 2 duo t5600

- geforce go 7600

- 2gb ram

- 120gb hdd

- intel 3945 wlan

Realtek RTL 8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet Nic

--

as for the bois...

CPU EIST Function is the one that messes it up, and must be disabled (or you get the dark screen with a pic of a power button)

Limit CPUID max to 3 needs disabling otherwise the system profiler won't work.

--

As for the rest I mentioned (No execute memory protect, CPU enhanced halt (C1E), CPU thermal monitor 2 (TM2), & Virtualization technology) they can be re-enabled if you wish.

--

I did a bit of digging around on google - You might already know what those options are all about, but if I'm completely honest I wasn't a 100% here's what I found (from www.planetx64.com on a similar mobo)..

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) will slow down your CPU and decrease current when the OS executes a halt instruction to keep temperatures down, for maximum performance when benchmarking it is recommended to set it to disabled.

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) will throttle your CPU when it reaches a preset temperature.

CPU EIST Function enables/disables the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology which again, is like the AMD Cool'n'Quiet feature. If enabled, EIST will throttle your CPU speed (Via the multipliers) and Voltage when the processor is idle.

Virtualization Technology is an option for future use, currently no software takes advantage of it. Possible support may be introduced in future versions of applications such as VMware or it may be useful in Vista, but for the time being, I set it to disabled. <- No idea if OSX utilizes this feature

--

Yes, don't really like the idea of disabling the EIST - Anybody think it will reduce the life expectancy of my system? Or is it not really a big deal?

Parallels uses VT.

After serveral trials, I finally managed to install ToHRC2 on an external USB-Drive (F8 -Legacy and -f or -v , dont'remeber which one it was, and need to use an external USB-mouse and surely also an external USB keyboard as the keyboard doesn't work after the installer has started) on an Acer Aspire 9920 , I can boot on it, but it freezes (shuts down ) on the grey screen with the apple and the spinning cercle.

The only time (of so many trials with no succes) when I managed to install the distrib Leo Kalyway on the computer, it was nearly the same: spinning cercle, freezing ...

Anyone an idea?

Acer Aspire 9920

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo

Chipset Mobile Intel® PM965 Express

Intel ICH8M

2 * HD S-ATA 160 GB

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

This was quite a stunning release for me!! I've never been able to get my pro 10/100 intel networking to work in tiger so I thought I'd give this one a try. My old pc I've been trying to set up as a AFP file server is a Compaq D510 which is 845G and has an old SSE2 S478 P4. I don't care about quartz or core image for this set up.

Since I wanted a quick install I made 2 partitions on a USB hard drive, on my imac I restored the iso to the smaller partition. Then on the pc I tried to boot off it, but that just didn't work, I assume its failing for the same reasons the leopard install doesn't boot.

Instead of messing about with that problem I burnt the DVD and settled for a slow install, which went fine to the other partition on my usb drive. Rebooted again using the DVD, ran the script from terminal, rebooted without the dvd in the drive. Waited for a bit, panicked a bit because I just saw Darwin and the blinking cursor, then to my amazement the welcome screen appeared, with audio! Once I got in network was working too!

Yep this dvd rocks on an old 845G SSE2, both audio and networking working, unbelievable!

I got it installed. But the Darwin bootloader doesn't load. I've tried fdisk -u, /usr/misc/script.sh, and it's still the same: I just get a blinking cursor... can someone help me?
. . there's a push-button easy-peasy CD from kalyway called something like 'make yer own bootable Leopard HD' . . this has a really solid [10.4.7] version of the Disk Utility on it, plus a routine to make the partition active/bootable.

Can be found at the usual places, & preparing your HDD with this makes a ToH install a lot easier . . . .

Installs fine on my Compaq HP NC8230 laptop. Wired network does notwork but wireless Broadcom works. Stuck with 1024X768 resolution, no ATI X600 drivers. Some apps dont work and just quit. Can't play DVD's either but thats the video driver issue.

The problem now is the machine freezes after about 15 minutes and I have to hold down the power button and restart. Any ideas ?

EDIT - My Bad... sleep issue, disabled and no lockups.

Hardware of laptop...

HDD= Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST960822A - hard drive - 60GB ATA-100

HDDCONTROLLER = Intel 82801 Ultra ATA

CPU = Intel Pentium M 750 Dothan MMX,SSE,SSE2 1.8Mhz 133bus, 533FSB

CHipset = i915PM/GM

Memory = 1gig DDR2 266Mhz

SOUND = SoundMAX Integrated Audio

USB = Intel 82801

VIDEO = ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600

FIREWIRE = Texas Instruments OHCI

POINTER = Synaptics touch pad

WIRELESS = Broadcom

Net = Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Installs fine on my Compaq HP NC8230 laptop. Wired network does notwork but wireless Broadcom works. Stuck with 1024X768 resolution, no ATI X600 drivers. Some apps dont work and just quit. Can't play DVD's either but thats the video driver issue.

The problem now is the machine freezes after about 15 minutes and I have to hold down the power button and restart. Any ideas ?

Hardware of laptop...

HDD= Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST960822A - hard drive - 60GB ATA-100

HDDCONTROLLER = Intel 82801 Ultra ATA

CPU = Intel Pentium M 750 Dothan MMX,SSE,SSE2 1.8Mhz 133bus, 533FSB

CHipset = i915PM/GM

Memory = 1gig DDR2 266Mhz

SOUND = SoundMAX Integrated Audio

USB = Intel 82801

VIDEO = ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600

FIREWIRE = Texas Instruments OHCI

POINTER = Synaptics touch pad

WIRELESS = Broadcom

Net = Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

I'm having the same problem (freezes after about 15 minutes). Anyone have any ideas :)

Hi,

I Installed leopard using ToH release, everything is fine with network, sound and video using the same kexts I need in tiger, except for a small issue...

Whenever I try to repair permissions in my Leopard partition, with "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" I get the following error:

2007-11-07 19:34:24.327 diskutil[266:a0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2007-11-07 19:34:24.407 DiskManagementTool[267:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk1s1 Leopard

[ - 0%................................................... ]

And then nothing happens and there´s no disk activity. Anyone got a clue what this is?

thanks!

For those who have trouble booting up from ToH Lepoard, this may help. I am not the expert per se, but I think ToH doesn't have a boot sector. I installed it on a blank hd, it didn't boot, so I install it over an old JaS 10.4.8 then it boots up nicely. Tested all the upgrades from Apple, none system related, mind you. It all worked out. Then I took the big step install over my JaS 10.4.8 work laptop, all my old apps including all my virtual machines on Parallels, my MAMP server, Aptana... all works and most Prefs from 10.4.8 are preserved. :( The only thing didn't work was Xcode2.0, but then I updraged it to Xcode 3.0.

I am really enjoying Leopard and loving it! Thanks ToH.

MacPaq

Is there someone out there who found a solution about the endless rebooting problem ?

I tried every kind of boot switches (-legacy -v -f -s -x...) with no luck.

It seems that it loads all the kext, some twice, before rebooting.

I get the problem with an HP Compaq N610C (P4, SSE2, ATI Radeon 7500), while the install proceeds fine with my other hack, HP NC6220 (P4, SSE2, Intel 915), even if I stopped the installation due to the lack of support of 915.

Thanks.

Nando.

So I'm finally trying the install and I'm not sure why the install disc can't see my hard drive. I normally run 2x 500GB SATA drives, but for OSX, I'm trying it on a 160GB PATA with nothing else connected other than the DVD-ROM. I pull up the disk utility and it shows that the DVD-ROM is the only drive connected.

the BIOS shows the hard drive...any ideas? Doesn't look like I'll be getting the install done tonight. :rolleyes:

Some of reasons a SATA drive doesn't come up in the Disk Utility of the install disk:

1. The DVD's extension.mkext (driver package which holds the VIA driver) doesn't have the correct VEN/DEV ID so it can't see it.

2. If the DVD's VEN/DEV match you might want to check the actual connection of your SATA drive to your board.

(I've found by chance that although the VEN/DEV IDs where correct, my drive was plugged into port 2 and it wouldn't get detected)

Best thing to try is connecting a lone IDE (which I assume is your DVD rom which is why it gets detected) harddrive and installing on the 10.5 on that. If it does install

correctly change the settings in the AppleVIA driver (sorry can't remember the actual name anymore) change permissions and ownership then delete the Extensions.mkext file

(which in 10.5 I really like because it will recreate the file on the fly so you don't have to restart the machine :) well sometimes at least LOL)

Wait a bit, it took a minute for this to detect my SATAs, if they don't come up restart the machine and see if they show.

If they do show, then you can make the evil choice of doing a lot of reseach and modifying the DVD's driver package. Which would allow for install directly to a SATA partition.

Hope this helps

PS. Sorry this isn't in point form, still just waking up

Hi All,

Not totally sure if this has been solved yet, but as a work-around to boot into ToH 10.5 version (Which I must give a total thumbs up, just wish I could get my graphic card working correctly)

I've done the following:

[This method used on a single IDE Harddrive with only OS 10.5 as the dedicated OS]

1. Booted the Jas 10.4.8 SSE3/ SSE2 PPF1 PPF2 Installl DVD. (Most likely any Install DVD that you have used that worked successfully for direct boot).

2. Openned Disk Utility.

- Highlighted The HardDrive Manufacture's name and clicked the Partition Tab.

- I clicked create 2 Partitions (Don't think it'll matter as long as your primary is MAC)

- Then click the Partiton button.

3. I then clicked each volumne that I created and erased them.

4. Quit Disk Utility.

[iMPORTANT PART]

5. Open Terminal.

At the prompt:

#:diskutil list

(This will list all the drives that terminal sees, if a drive isn't listed you'll need to make modifications to the driver once the OS has been installed

Make note of which drive has the MAC partition(s), if it's a single drive it should list as disk0, disk0s1 ...etc depending on the number of partitions)

#:fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

( rdisk# - is the drive that has the MAC partition you created)

6. (Can't remember what the prompt looks like but you'll type in :worried_anim:

fdisk ?>p

(This will display a list of the partitions on your 'rdisk0', on mine I've noticed that partition 1 which should have a * to mark as active didn't so)

fdisk ?>f 1

(This made the first partition active)

fdisk ?>write

(Writes to the MBR - (Master boot record) it will notify you that changes will take affect on reboot - press Y then <enter>)

fdisk ?>exit

7. Quit from terminal.

8. Quit Installer.

9. Boot the ToH 10.5 Leo DVD.

10. DO NOT REPARTITON THE DRIVE, just follow the installation screens.

-------- If you are planning for a dual boot (Although I haven't tried yet) -----------

If you already have a different flavour of OSx86 10.4 installed.

1. Boot into ToH 10.5

2. Open Disk Utility on the ToH 10.5 and erase the MAC volumne (not the PARTITION) you want to install on.

3. Follow the steps above to make it the Active partition in terminal <- Important no matter which OS version you install

4. Install the ToH 10.5

5. After install (And hopefully successful) reset the Active partition to which ever opererating system you have your bootloader installed to otherwise you won't have your dual boot machine anymore

and follow the steps outlined all over the place on multi-boot systems (sorry don't have their threads handy)

[DISCLAIMER]

As with everything this has worked for me, please make sure that if you do try this you backup everything. Installing OSX86 has always been a one to a million nights afair that each of us love, if in doubt don't do it!

Geshadow