OSX86 10.5 Leo [ToH]-RC2 SSE3/SSE2 Intel Only

theSlug

379 posts in this topic

. . did you literally put 'VOLNAME' in? . . 'VOLNAME' [remove quotes] = 'Name of your Leo Volume' [no quotes]

thanks for your reply

Yes of course

for me its Macintosh X86

but no way

please help me out

---------------

i used brazilmac dvd patched but i dont understood how to apply the other patch

Got it to work here. Got sound, got networking, got usb, no QE/CI yet, but got resolution changes.

What I did is partition an 80 GB HDD into 3 - 24.8 GB partitions.

I installed Jas 10.4.8 Tiger on my 1st partition named Tigerx86.

Then I installed ToH 10.5 Leopard on my 2nd partition (could have used 3rd though) named Leopardx86.

I Quad boot now, so I just select Mac OSx86 in GRUB (it boots darwin and is directed at my Tigerx86 partition), but as I am selecting it, I hold F8 and then a menu of Tigerx86, Leopardx86, and Testx86 (my 3rd partition). I just select Leopardx86 to go into Leopard.

How Wonderful...

thanks for your reply

Yes of course

for me its Macintosh X86

but no way

please help me out

-

Hi,

because you use an shell command , the command has problems

with your Volumename.

There is an SPACE in it.

Not only for this reason - ist better to avoid any spaces in Volumenames.

Change Volumename to

Macintosh_X86

should work now

Howdy

I downloaded this release in hopes of installing it on my laptop, but when I run the install off the disc all I'm getting is a screen which has a lot of stuff loading, like drivers and stuff. Once this goes on for a bit, the laptop reboots and just goes into ubuntu, and no installation or anything has happened. What the hell went wrong, and what can I do to fix it?

I have burned this DVD 3 times, twice in Windows and once using Tiger. All three times I can't get past the Apple loading screen.. this is what repeats on the screen until I turn off the computer.

post-10098-1194638360_thumb.jpg

I left the DVD booting/loading for over an hour and it just repeats this over and over again.

Does anyone know what I can do to get past this and finally get Leopard installed? :(

I have burned this DVD 3 times, twice in Windows and once using Tiger. All three times I can't get past the Apple loading screen.. this is what repeats on the screen until I turn off the computer.

post-10098-1194638360_thumb.jpg

I left the DVD booting/loading for over an hour and it just repeats this over and over again.

Does anyone know what I can do to get past this and finally get Leopard installed? :(

That's what I'm stuck at too on my laptop, and on the virtual machine. I don't know what to do...

For all who must use -legacy parameter, theres a temporary method to boot up system without typing:

Ensure theres a password for root account and open Terminal (from Spotlight ie.)

Then type:

su (enter)

password for root account (enter)

pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist (enter; you can also copy and paste this line into Terminal window)

Now you should see a some text in tree structure; find this part:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

And type -legacy between strings:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

Press Ctrl+O, then enter to save file and Ctrl+X to close pico editor.

Then, close the Terminal app and reboot.

You can also add some other things into this file, like Timeout and Quiet Boot to hide Darwin - heres more info - How to edit boot.plist

Works for me perfectly, hope for you too guys.

I put the the DVD - Wait

"Press any key to install Mac OS X, or press F8 to enter startup options." - I press any key

I see a lot of text scrolling down the screen and then my laptop reboots

Then I see the "Press any key to install Mac OS X, or press F8 to enter startup options" screen again and it freezes at this point

Does anyone have any suggestions?

geshadow, I appreciate the effort, but you've actually got it backwards. Both my main HD and DVD drives are SATA which are recognized, no problem...it's the PATA (IDE) drive that isn't seen by the OSX install DVD. I'm going to try with an older version of Tiger and see what happens there.

I managed to get it installed on a Dell Latitude D520. Here's how.

First, I used the restore DVD Dell gave me with the Laptop to make a single drive with Windows installed. Then, I used PartitionMagic 8 to resize the drive, in my case in half.

Then, I went to DISKPART.EXE. This can be accessed by typing DISKPART.EXE inside of Start>Run.

Type: (No quotes! The stuff bolded is what you want!)

"List disk" (It will list your disks, select the one you resized, and now has unallocated space)

"Select disk x" (Where x is your disk)

"List partition" (It will show your partitions on the disk. It wont show the unallocated space!)

"create partition primary size=XXXXX id=af" (This will create a primary partition, XXXXX being the size. id=af setting it up for HFS+ filesystem.)

"active" (This will make the partition active.)

Now that you have a HFS+ partition, restart with a Tiger install disk. (I used Uphuck 10.4.9v3iR4) You have to use a Tiger install disk to format the new partition to HFS+ and give it a name. Something is wrong with ToH Leopards Disk Utility. Format your new partition and give it a name. I used "Leopard".

Now, reboot and take the Tiger disk out. Insert your ToH Leopard disk and boot to it. Select your Language, and select "Continue". Choose your new HFS+ partition and click "Install". In the next window, you must select "Customize"! Uncheck everything. Click "Install".

Sit back, it takes about an hour to install.

Once your done installing, you will have to boot into the DVD again. Do that. When your booted, select your language. Then, click "Utilities" in the finder bar. Select "Terminal".

Inside the Terminal, type:

/usr/misc/script.sh "PartitionName" (PartitionName is the name of your partition. For me, it was Leopard.)

Reboot the machine, and take the DVD out. Leopard should boot, or at least try. If you get a kernel panic, that's fine. I'll give some tips to help you solve it.

If Leopard boots, but the boot graphics are really jumpy, slow, or the system just plain restarts, let it. If it doesnt restart, restart it. After your system POST's, tap F8 to bring up the bootloader. Type "cpus=1", and hit enter. You should boot now, you may kernel panic.

If your still getting a kernel panic after typing "cpus=1" at the bootloader, boot into BIOS and turn off SpeedStep. That fixed my problem. Try booting again.

If it booted, set up Leopard!

Now that Leopard (hopefully) is booting normally, time to add some .plist action! Open a terminal, and type:

sudo nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

You will see this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Device</key>

<string>/HardDrive#/Partition#</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

I added this to make it so I dont have to type "cpus=1" all the time, and I dont have to turn off multicore support inside of BIOS:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Device</key>

<string>HardDrive#/Partition#</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

That added a Timeout Key, and a kernel flag. Now, you should just be able to start your laptop, hit enter twice and boot into Leopard!

Good luck guys!

When I try to install Leopard it makes it through all the loading HFS+ files, but towards the end when the TOH Leopard screen should come up a blue screen just comes up. ITs like it cant properly load. I have had the problem before, but usually I just put the disk in and restart the process again and sometimes it works, but now after the 10th retry I'm starting to worry? I have killed the hard disk used Active Kill like I always do and I have reburnt the ISO on a different (new) cd twice. Any suggestions?

Hello all, i've installed Leopard with ToH iso

Full success on a Laptop TOSHIBA A135

OK Sound (The Azalia patch worked fine here on ToH)

NO Intel Pro Wifi 3945ABG

OK RTL8100 Lan Adapter

OK GMA-950 Graphics at native resolution with QE & CI

OK SATA & PATA controlers

OK USB 2.0

OK FIREWIRE up to 400 mb/sec

* Boot issue fix with the /script sh thing twice (mounted and unmounted)

* Can't got to sleep, once it's in sleep, I can't wake it up. It has to be shut down and reboot

* Seeing Core 2 Solo, but i open the monitor and this show 2 cores.

* Theres is no one dependencies in extensions (System Profiler)

* Dual boot "Vista" - Leopard works fine.

Thanks ToH Team!

God Bless my luck!!!!! :(

Installed Leopard on HP 6315, upgraded from tiger, wouldn't boot from native install

intel 950 graphics work fine

intel wireless 1390 works

USB good

Firewire good

built-in camera works now

volume media buttons work

dual boot with vista on 250GB drive split in half

only problem i would LOVE to see solved is processor shows as core solo

showed core 2 duo in tiger (as it is), aside from that, could only work better if it was a mac. Runs apps every bit as good as core 2 duo mini with Leopard

keep up the good work :D

Hello, I'm here to report a success installation. Was not exactly out of box so bellow the steps that took me to a Leopard fully functional.

The details of each step you can find easily at previos posts on this or other topics related, so don't excited to use the search box :D

Ok, first my system:

P4 HT 3.0Ghz

Chipset VIA P4M800 Northbridge and VT8237 Southbridge

1Gb RAM

80Gb IDE HD

Audio AC97

Wired network VIARhine

NVidia FX 5200 128Mb

- First I tried Brazil's method, without success. The thing just don't boot here. So I decided to try ToH x86 rc2 image. I did as described at the first post of this topic.

- After the installation the thing still did not boot, with some kernel panics (something with ACPI). So I put the following at a USB pendrive, and using the install DVD as a Livecd I replace the kernel and some extensions and I got my Leopard working:

- From #leopard (irc) I got the last Leopard Kernel. I'm booting with cpus=1 kernel parameter (com.apple.Boot.plist edited)

- Audio and network ok with AppleAC97Audio.kext and ViaRhine.kext. Both from my old Tiger (10.4.9) system.

- If you look inside Brazil's zip file you'll find some kexts. From there I added/replaced the following to my system: dsmos.kext ApplePS2Controller.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext

- Ok, after reboot I got my self inside my new Leopard.

- After the basic steps I did some tuning :wacko:

- Video ok with Natit_1.0.pkg installer.

- I noticed that my HD access was terrible slow. After a lot of Googling I got this solution that work like a charm to my IDE system:

Get AppleVIAATA.kext and change the follow Info.plist's keys

<key>VIA PATA Controller</key>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<false/>

Put at the right place, reboot and it is. A sensible faster HD.

Was It. Hope this steps be useful to someone

Best wishes, aethiopicus

aethiopicus,

We have pretty much the EXACT SAME SETUP, with the exception of our GFX cards, I have an FX5500, but everything else is basically the same.

1) You would have had a way easier time just simply downloading the ToH RC2 Distro and going through the relatively simple steps involved with it.

2) Are you my identical win? LMFAO

Gratz on a working Leo, I too have it working, on, as I said, basically the same EXACT hardware. If you figure anything out that might be good to use, lemme know.

Oops sorry about that....

With the 10.5 installed on your SATA, have you modified the AppleVIAATA.kext driver with the VEN/ID?

One thing I'd like to mention that I've noticed....

Whether I modify or copy a kext file into the extensions folder and then perform a Repair Disk Permissions it will remove all the modifications and copies that I made.

I'm only guessing...

In the previous versions of OS 10.X PPC and x86 the Repair Disk Permissions pulled it's info from the reciepts folder (which houses the installer packages) and

if a driver's installer package isn't found it gets ignored

I'm wondering if 10.5 uses this tech and Time Machine to reset the Extensions to match the Reciepts and remove everything else thats not found

Especially since the Extensions.kext file once deleted will rebuild itself on the fly without the usual reboot (only causes probs when deleting outside the OS)