HOW TO: Get the Sapphire X1950XT(id7244) and X1900XT (id7249) to work NOT THE PRO (Jccool Method)

jccool

804 posts in this topic

Hi Jccoool,

I have a solution, I bought a second dvi display and changend the connection from right to left.

My preferencepane is working. I can change everything in it, but I cannot change the arragement of the displays.

But it doesn´t matter now. Do you think I could have succes with 30" Display with dual DVI, cause I´m thinking about

purchasing a Dell 30 " display.

Thanks for reply

Greetings !

Gary

Hello Jccool...

I´m new here, been doin lots of reading to catch you guys up, but couldn´t find the answer to a simple question:

Is the Sapphire X1950 Pro 256 Mb PCI-E somehow supported ? I mean, not fully, I would be pleased with only viewing the desktop, which I couldn´t yet...

My Specs: P4 D 805@3.33

1 Gb RAM

Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum

I installed the 10.4.8 SSE2 & SSE3, I can use the command line but no visuals yet, only blue screen after boot (even on Safe Mode)

Thanks a lot !

EDIT: Sorry, was kinda desperate and now read the entire threat... No acceleration but I´ll give it a try anyway... BTW, I have loads of experience with Linux and making s*** work on it, like video hardware acceleration, if one could put me in the tracks I could research deeply a way to make the X1950PRO work with QE and all...

JCCOOL

still no luck, i did a fresh install of 10.4.8, installed your .3pkg, and nothing, same issue as before, blue screen on boot up. The OS sees the card, it shows up as ATI X1950 series PCIe BUS, etc in sytem profiler when i boot up off the gma900. there must be something minor, i dunno. help?

Hi, I have a radeon x1900 GT device id 724b. I tried the jccool method installer and when it boots up I get a blue screen, with mouse cursor and everything. I can even log in but I don't see anything but the blue screen. If I push the power button however I briefly get to see the OS or login screen before my computer shuts off.

I can get back to a normal view by deleting the natit kexts in single user mode.

Is there something I can do to get this to work? I'd like at least 3d acceleration and resolution switching would be nice. I have no idea what qe and ci are.

hello its me again, same iussues, this time i have a pic! yay

screencapnotworkingx195sc6.png

JCCOOL,

as you can see the system sees the x1950xt and also the correct bus (PCIe) and the correct device id #, and also the kext loaded since it ID"s the card. before i ran the installer it showed as vga compatible card. but i cant boot off it, when i try i get a blue screen, no mouse nothing,just blue. i feel like im 90% there, just a bit more. any thoughts?

sorry, me again. ok i didint think about it, but after installing .3pkg i didnt think of booting off safe mode! dudh, i did, and i could. i can boot off the x1950xt, i can even get full resolution control, but no ci/qe. i have attached a pic. suggestions?

screencapsafemodefa6.png

this is on safe mode. when i try to boot regular, i get a blue screen. :)

1st, and foremost, a thousand thanks Jcool, your installer worked PERFECTLY on my ATI X1900XT

One very small issue though:

I have both a 30" Dell LCD and a 20" LCD, and I rotate the 20" to 90deg so it matches up with the 30"

Anyway, I am able to setup everything perfectly after your installer, but if I reboot and come back, the primary display on the left (the 20") is back in standard ROTATION, instead of the 90deg I had previously configured it for. So every time I reboot I have to rotate the 20" LCD.

Basically the rotation preferences for the 1st display are not getting saved between reboots...

Anyone have rotation survive a reboot after installing Jcool's patch, or a fix?

1st time posting here ... well... it doesn't matter too much :-)

It's all about choices ;-)

I'm about to buy a new video card and I'm considering an ATI Radeon X1950 XTX 512MB DDR4 one.

The questions are:

a. Is there any specific vendor that you recommend, from the point of view of a Jas 10.4.8 user) ?

I mean would it make any difference between Sapphire, GeCube, PowerColor, HIS, bla-bla ... ?)

@Jccool :-)

b. As I understand, the X1950XTX drivers lack some fan control. Is this a matter of the past or it has been solved ?

If it hasn't been solved then would you please recommend an ATI card that would work out completely right out

of the box AND a link to the related drivers for it ? I specificaly want an ATI because I'm a huge fan. I never liked

NVIDIA, starting from the moment I found out their extremely poor TV-Out support...

@smjork,

well it's pretty obvious that the x1950xt works, the driver is linked on the first post of this thread, get Sapphire i for best results, I never really gave any support for the xtx because i don't own one and don't plan on getting one in the near future (dx10 might be my next stop) and I completely agree with you about Nvidia (microsoft aparently does too, they very much disliked their partnership with Nvidia for the xbox 1, this is why they went with ATi (now AMD/ATi) for the xbox 360) the Nvidia rsx in the ps3 doesnt seem very good, well hopefully sony learns for the psIV)

@got no name, theres no need to worry about fan control on the xt, only the xtx,

Jccool

@smjork,

well it's pretty obvious that the x1950xt works, the driver is linked on the first post of this thread, get Sapphire i for best results, I never really gave any support for the xtx because i don't own one and don't plan on getting one in the near future (dx10 might be my next stop) and I completely agree with you about Nvidia (microsoft aparently does too, they very much disliked their partnership with Nvidia for the xbox 1, this is why they went with ATi (now AMD/ATi) for the xbox 360) the Nvidia rsx in the ps3 doesnt seem very good, well hopefully sony learns for the psIV)

@got no name, theres no need to worry about fan control on the xt, only the xtx,

Jccool

Jccool,

You've seen my previous posts. Im at a lost, your .3pkg seems to work fine with everyone else's Saphire x1950xt 256, like the one you have and i have, but all i get is a blue, screen. Dont know what else to try, any ideas?

Hi Jccool(and everybody else)!

First of all thanks for all the good info on this forum(this is my first post).

I've installed the driver and it boots up(in full resolution) but I don't get any mouse coursor or menus/dock/icons, I just see the wallpaper for the desktop. Any idéa of what has gone wrong?

When I remove Natit It boots up again(with menus and all) but att 1024x768.

EDIT: My fault. I had the TV connected to the other DVI so i actullay had it all, it was just on another display

Hey Jccool, you are a life saver. Now I have full resolution support on my X1950 Pro. :D

If you guys have any news on how to make qe/ci work on the X1950 Pro, please post here.

Tks

Grbrum

By the way, is this the reason I can`t watch DVDs on my PC?

Whatelse can`t I do?

Tks

The thing that got me into problems with my x1900xt was the fact that it will not work when only a DVI-D monitor is attached (apple HD 23") tried with monitor attached to both of the DVI connectors on the card. It would hang at the blue screen just before loginwindow shows.

So I bought a nvidia 7600gt and got a 2nd monitor (19" lcd with vga input), so just out of curiosity I tried with my 19" monitor attached and voila the x1900xt works... connected both monitors and what do you know, both works.

I tried disconnecting the 19" and boot just with my 23" attached and it hangs at the blue screen again...

So this maybe why some ppl have issues with x19x0 cards.

The thing that got me into problems with my x1900xt was the fact that it will not work when only a DVI-D monitor is attached (apple HD 23") tried with monitor attached to both of the DVI connectors on the card. It would hang at the blue screen just before loginwindow shows.

So I bought a nvidia 7600gt and got a 2nd monitor (19" lcd with vga input), so just out of curiosity I tried with my 19" monitor attached and voila the x1900xt works... connected both monitors and what do you know, both works.

I tried disconnecting the 19" and boot just with my 23" attached and it hangs at the blue screen again...

So this maybe why some ppl have issues with x19x0 cards.

hmmm...well i tried hooking up my card to my samsung (which has both a dvi + vga input) witha dvi-vga adapter (x1950xt only has dual dvi's) and it hangs blue, i tried dvi-dvi it hangs on blue, but when i boot using -x (safe mode) it goes to desktop, i get res change, but no qe/ci, seems to me like .kext issue?

The latest ATi drivers from 4.10 didn't add much improvement over Jccools drivers based on 4.8, they only gave a slight increase in OpenGL performance.

Used Xbench and a Sapphire X1950XT on a 4.10 install to compare the results.

Have just replaced my Leadtek GeForce 7600GS today with GeCube ATI Radeon X1950XT DDR3 512MB ($240) and installed it with the Jccool's (X1950XT Installer 0.3.pkg) driver. It works flawlessly! Connected it to two DVI LCD monitors (Samsung SyncMaster 931BW). See my Graphics/Display profile below:

ATI Radeon X1950 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon X1950 Series

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7244

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Had to re-install the driver though, after updating my system to 10.4.9 to have the CI/QE & Rotation to work again.

Thanks to Jccool for his effort. You really are a cool dude! :D