HOW TO: Get the Sapphire X1950XT(id7244) and X1900XT (id7249) to work NOT THE PRO (Jccool Method)

jccool

804 posts in this topic

Ok, I now tested with 2 monitors and it won't work. But I discovered something that's echoing my theory.

Now for those MOBO with two graphic ports (1 for either onboard AGP/or AGP extension and 1 for PCIe extension), the PCIe port is marked as secondary port.

It turned out that x1950 xt on secondary port have a totally different device id. The device id starts with 7260 to 7264, IT IS NOT 7244!!! Though they are same x1950 series. More interestingly, device id 7244 is for x1950 xt on primary display port. For those who only have one graphic port on their MOBO, it will be straight and simple with issue free. For those with dual ports, they may run into problems if the system insist on identifying it as secondary and assign it a device it 7264. Therefore, when boot into GUI, it can not display properly or won't display at all.

I'm going to do a few more experiments.

Ok, I now tested with 2 monitors and it won't work. But I discovered something that's echoing my theory.

Now for those MOBO with two graphic ports (1 for either onboard AGP/or AGP extension and 1 for PCIe extension), the PCIe port is marked as secondary port.

It turned out that x1950 xt on secondary port have a totally different device id. The device id starts with 7260 to 7264, IT IS NOT 7244!!! Though they are same x1950 series. More interestingly, device id 7244 is for x1950 xt on primary display port. For those who only have one graphic port on their MOBO, it will be straight and simple with issue free. For those with dual ports, they may run into problems if the system insist on identifying it as secondary and assign it a device it 7264. Therefore, when boot into GUI, it can not display properly or won't display at all.

I'm going to do a few more experiments.

interesting find my friend! so it seems that jccool's method indeed could have worked. all i would have had to do is attach 2 monitors to both ports on the card and i would have had a desktop? hmmm.....well i dont have another monitor to attach to, well maybe i do my TV but i would have to use my dvi-vga converter.

...but i would have to use my dvi-vga converter.

That's what I'm using. I have one DVI port on my X1900XTX going to the DVI input on my LCD and then the the second DVI port on my X1900XTX going to the VGA input on the SAME monitor through a DVI-VGA adapter.

Works like a champ.

Apple DVI-PAL/NTSC works fine as a analog device, makes my 23" apple HD cinema display work.

But I don't think what wigworm posted is the issue here.

My x1900xt works fine with only 1 analog monitor connected, what port I connect it to on my gfxcard, or if the gfx-card is in PCI-E slot 1 or 2 (I got a crossfire mobo) doesn't matter.

If you read the Natit output at boot you see 3 different DevID's found from your card, one for each output (DVI+DVI+TV-Out) and the msg that one of the displays fails (the TV-Out one).

Ok guys, when I said 2 graphic port, I didn't mean 2 output port on 1 graphic port, I meant that the mobo have 2 expansion slots that you can PLUG IN TWO GRAPHIC CARD INTO. For exmaple: my mobo is ASROCK 939, it has a AGP expansion slot that you can plug in an AGP card, it also has a PCIe expansion slot that you can plug in a PCIe card. The PCIe slot is marked as secondary by default in bios. ATI's code convention assigns device ID 7264 for all x1950 series that's plugged in on secondary port. So that's why my card, when in fact is the same x1950 xt as some people here, it has a device ID 7264 instead of 7244. Jccool's method came from a modified X1900 kext in which he added device id 7244 in ATIRadeonX1000.kext. There isn't any device id 7264 in that kext. Therefore, when boot up in GUI, the display fails. End of the story. Solution? Add Device ID 7264 into the kext. But when I attempt to do so, I got Kernel panic. Obviously I'm not doing it right. If I know how to do it properly, I believe I have a good chance of getting the kext for all x1950 xt cards in different mobos. My wishful thinking maybe... who knows.

Apple DVI-PAL/NTSC works fine as a analog device, makes my 23" apple HD cinema display work.But I don't think what wigworm posted is the issue here.My x1900xt works fine with only 1 analog monitor connected, what port I connect it to on my gfxcard, or if the gfx-card is in PCI-E slot 1 or 2 (I got a crossfire mobo) doesn't matter.If you read the Natit output at boot you see 3 different DevID's found from your card, one for each output (DVI+DVI+TV-Out) and the msg that one of the displays fails (the TV-Out one).
Do you have an AGP slot on your mobo? I don't think so. Therefore, you won't experience the problem I experience. 2 PCI-E doesn't equal to 1 AGP + 1 PCI-E. AGP always marked as primary.

Hmmm... wigworm, question - does it actually say anything about secondary during boot in verbose mode?
Yes, it recognized it as X1950 series with device ID 7264 in verbose mode. But it refuse to go into GUI at the end of boot. So I went into Natit.kext and look up what exactly is ID 7264, it says: 0x7264 with description: X1950 series Secondary. When I look under ID 7244, it says: 0x7244 with description: X1950 series. (note there's no word "secondary" here). If that's not a strong evidence enough, I'm not sure whatelse do I have to show to prove my theory. In simple words: X1950 xt on secondary graphic slot has a different device ID. Not all X1950 xt has device ID as 7244. Now, you can still boot it up into GUI and have a fully functional card by purposely removing the device id 7264, or forcing it not to recognize it as 7264. That's why X1800.kext worked because it's a wrong kext that masked the device id 7264. So when used that kext, you get the display all working but system won't recognize the card, it just says: Unknown ATI card. That basically explained everything I've experienced so far, and I've done numberous tests (close to 100s reboots) in all different combination of methods. There's nothing wrong with my card and it's fully functioning(CI/QE/ROTATION also tested working in 3d games - Halo, Call of Duty 2 with full shader effects and smooth framerate, Xbench score 130 on both graphic test). The only reason I'm kind of stuck on this is because I want to challenge myself to get it recognized by the system. I think most of us here spending time on Hackintosh for the same feeling of challenge, not necessarily trying to get a cheap MAC. The amount of time I spent on this thing probably translate to thousands bucks by now. Every step has a challenge and I've got this far thanks to my stubbornness.
Apple DVI-PAL/NTSC works fine as a analog device, makes my 23" apple HD cinema display work.But I don't think what wigworm posted is the issue here.My x1900xt works fine with only 1 analog monitor connected, what port I connect it to on my gfxcard, or if the gfx-card is in PCI-E slot 1 or 2 (I got a crossfire mobo) doesn't matter.If you read the Natit output at boot you see 3 different DevID's found from your card, one for each output (DVI+DVI+TV-Out) and the msg that one of the displays fails (the TV-Out one).
Is there a way to capture the verbose boot log so I look a little closer? I blieve I got "secondary" mentioned 3 times in boot message.

Yes, it recognized it as X1950 series with device ID 7264 in verbose mode. But it refuse to go into GUI at the end of boot. So I went into Natit.kext and look up what exactly is ID 7264, it says: 0x7264 with description: X1950 series Secondary. When I look under ID 7244, it says: 0x7244 with description: X1950 series. (note there's no word "secondary" here). If that's not a strong evidence enough, I'm not sure whatelse do I have to show to prove my theory. In simple words: X1950 xt on secondary graphic slot has a different device ID. Not all X1950 xt has device ID as 7244. Now, you can still boot it up into GUI and have a fully functional card by purposely removing the device id 7264, or forcing it not to recognize it as 7264. That's why X1800.kext worked because it's a wrong kext that masked the device id 7264. So when used that kext, you get the display all working but system won't recognize the card, it just says: Unknown ATI card. That basically explained everything I've experienced so far, and I've done numberous tests (close to 100s reboots) in all different combination of methods. There's nothing wrong with my card and it's fully functioning(CI/QE/ROTATION also tested working in 3d games - Halo, Call of Duty 2 with full shader effects and smooth framerate, Xbench score 130 on both graphic test). The only reason I'm kind of stuck on this is because I want to challenge myself to get it recognized by the system. I think most of us here spending time on Hackintosh for the same feeling of challenge, not necessarily trying to get a cheap MAC. The amount of time I spent on this thing probably translate to thousands bucks by now. Every step has a challenge and I've got this far thanks to my stubbornness.Is there a way to capture the verbose boot log so I look a little closer? I blieve I got "secondary" mentioned 3 times in boot message.

Well here's the thing. If I don't connect my second monitor, EXACTLY what you describe happens. I get X1900 on x7249 and x7269 I get X1900 and that's it. When I have the second monitor port connected, I get X1900 Secondary on the second id (x7269) (seems to be a pattern, primary = 724x secondary = 726x

So, I can replicate your symptoms on my system and I have no AGP slot.

Has your machine EVER booted into the GUI at ALL? I'm starting to wonder if you need to connect the monitor while it's in GUI. (That's what I had to do) When I was solving the problem sometimes I had to reboot several times, trying all different things to get it to go into GUI. Sometimes removing my Bluetooth adapter would do it, other times -v -f would do it or not doing it would do it. Still other times if I used the bootloader from the DVD it would do it.

Anyway, good luck again.

Well here's the thing. If I don't connect my second monitor, EXACTLY what you describe happens. I get X1900 on x7249 and x7269 I get X1900 and that's it. When I have the second monitor port connected, I get X1900 Secondary on the second id (x7269) (seems to be a pattern, primary = 724x secondary = 726x

So, I can replicate your symptoms on my system and I have no AGP slot.

Has your machine EVER booted into the GUI at ALL? I'm starting to wonder if you need to connect the monitor while it's in GUI. (That's what I had to do) When I was solving the problem sometimes I had to reboot several times, trying all different things to get it to go into GUI. Sometimes removing my Bluetooth adapter would do it, other times -v -f would do it or not doing it would do it. Still other times if I used the bootloader from the DVD it would do it.

Anyway, good luck again.

Yep, I can boot into GUI using Diabolik's NatitX1800.kext. Like I said, everything works, except that in system profile, it says: Unknown ATI card.

What's your mobo? Do you have a second PCIe slot?

Yep, I can boot into GUI using Diabolik's NatitX1800.kext. Like I said, everything works, except that in system profile, it says: Unknown ATI card.

What's your mobo? Do you have a second PCIe slot?

I meant with JCCool's driver were you ever able to boot into GUI? Or did you just uninstall it right away after it didn't work?

I have a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) it's NForce4/Pro based with two full speed x16 PCI-E slots. It actually basically has two northbridge chips. One for each PCI-E slot.

Let me ask you this, on your motherboard is it possible to have both an AGP card AND PCI-E card used simultaneous?

Okay, as I'm sitting here watching a preseason football game, I've just read (or skimmed through) each post in this thread and I'm still confused about something. Perhaps it's a language thing or maybe I'm just being a little bit thick. Here's my question:

For a Sapphire X1950XT Pci-e card with 256mb and dual dvi connectors, do the dvi connectors both work as dvi? I keep reading that dual dvi works but then I read so many posts that say you need to use dvi/vga adapters. Using Jccool's method, can I connect 2 monitors dvi to dvi with no adapters? Or is it dvi on the gfx card to vga adapter on the monitor or vice versa? Thanks to anyone who can finally clear this up for me.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know for sure. But my hunch is that you don't need VGA, but rather both ports connected for optimal use.

My first port is DVI, my second is DVI->VGA both goto the same monitor. However, I suspect that if I used both as DVI it would still work just fine.

Hi,

there appears to be some confusion here with jccool method 0.1 & 0.2

these alpha and beta versions only supported 1 port and that port had to be dvi>vga

jccool method 0.3 (final) fixed all of this and qe ci ogl full res on dual dvi, mirror and the rest work as advertised

Jccool

JCCOOL. I have an ATI x1900XT card that gives and ID of 7249. You rinstaller says for 7244 only. Does your installer give TV out in addition to Dual DVI? How would I modify Kext(s) for Device ID 7249 to get it to work? Thanks for your help.

Steve

I meant with JCCool's driver were you ever able to boot into GUI? Or did you just uninstall it right away after it didn't work?

I have a Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) it's NForce4/Pro based with two full speed x16 PCI-E slots. It actually basically has two northbridge chips. One for each PCI-E slot.

Let me ask you this, on your motherboard is it possible to have both an AGP card AND PCI-E card used simultaneous?

I was never able to boot into GUI using Jccool's package. I was able to boot into GUI with full CI/QE/Q2E/Rotation using "Diabolik's NatitX1800.kext". Once I'm in GUI mode, Dual display are working fine as I've tried hooking up 2 computers. I don't know how to move desktop in between the two though.

I observed: during verbose boot, OS try to load both Natit.kext and NatitX1800.kext. Under Natit.kext, it recognized my card as X1950 series. Under NatitX1800.kext, it can not recognize the card, says: unknown ATI. But it's actually NatitX1800.kext that boots OS into GUI.

To your second question: Even in window OS, I can not use both AGP and PCI-E together. I can plug both in, but only 1 card is functioning at a time.

hello all,

i can confirm that dual displays work just fine. mirror displays, expanded desktop etc. i dont know if it was covered already but i just tested it with my lcd tv. look at the attached pic on the upper right hand.

thanks all for all your help!! this x1950xt is awesome!

dualdisplaysworkingx195xq5.png

• 3 weeks later...

OS - 10.4.9

Tyan i5000xt S2696 Motherboard

1st PCI-E x16 slot - ATI X1950XTX (512)

3rd PCI-E X16 slot - MSI X1600Pro (256)

I can successfully get the X1950XTX working 100% using JCCOOL's X1950XTX installer. Full support, dual monitors, etc. System info also reports a Radeon X1600 series card attached, but does not recognize any displays.

Has anyone had any experience getting two card running at once?

Also, I can't even get the X1600Pro working by itself. I've tried every possible Natit method and installer having removed the X1950XTX and left in the X1600Pro in the 3rd slot and nothing has resulted in resolution changes or dual monitor recognition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, there

first of all thanks to jccool and all the others working so hard on this topic , now to my problem (you can call me a total x86 noob), i have an Gecube x1950xt agp 256 mb card (device id 7244), which works perfect (all enabled, qe, ci, rotation) with jccools method (installer 0.3) under 10.4.9, but when updating or even fresh installing 10.4.10, it boots up, but when it comes to log in i only see the blue apple wallpaper, no gui, no mouse, no anything, the only thing i can do is to press F12 to drop out cds, plz any device would be helpful to get my card fully working under 10.4.10..., and sry if this should be a doublepost..

greetings from germany

psycholab

Am planning to buy a Power Color x1950xt. This is probably an oft asked question but does the jccool method work for brands other than Sapphire. I think GeCube users have a few success stories.

I ask because I am planning the investment based entirely on this post of the forums.

Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, there

first of all thanks to jccool and all the others working so hard on this topic , now to my problem (you can call me a total x86 noob), i have an Gecube x1950xt agp 256 mb card (device id 7244), which works perfect (all enabled, qe, ci, rotation) with jccools method (installer 0.3) under 10.4.9, but when updating or even fresh installing 10.4.10, it boots up, but when it comes to log in i only see the blue apple wallpaper, no gui, no mouse, no anything, the only thing i can do is to press F12 to drop out cds, plz any device would be helpful to get my card fully working under 10.4.10..., and sry if this should be a doublepost..

I had got the same problems since i copy the OpenGL.framework, Quartz.framework and QuartzCore.framework from my old 10.4.9 and now it works like a charm. Try it ;-) don't forget to repair permission with disk utility before reboot. And after reinstall the jccool drivers.

@anurup

You can go for a powercolor x1950xt , it works perfectly with the Jccool drivers. it is the one that i use.

Hello all,

I made another finding. Well Im not sure if its a finding, but here it goes. I can confirm that the card can output HDTV resolutions to my HD LCD TV. I did this by hooking up a DVI-HDMI adaptor to one of the DVI ports on the x1950xt. then using a HDMI cable to my TV. it goes all to way up to 1920x1080i @ 60hz. I'll take a screen shot when i get home. This is soooo awesome, now i need a digital tv tuner, and BAM DVR! with my hackintosh! or maybe ill just built another one! whoot whoot!!!