[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

How to run the kext cache cleanup and rebuild kernelcache. I don't remember.

sudo nvram -c

sudo purge
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It fails with rig in your signature?

Maybe gtx 650 does not need of Nvidia web drivers?

No, not with that rig. The rig in my signature doesn't need Nvidia drivers, as you said. Nor am I using any. :))

The problem mentioned before refers to a Skylake build (6600K) with a GTX 950.

Sadly that didn't work for me...

It hangs on boot. Looks like it cannot get the Nvidia patch done.

attachicon.gifIMG_0381.JPG

It also happened on 2nd Gen Asus A43SJ with GF119 under 10.13 Beta, but has no problem if running it on 10.12.x (RequiredOS changed though) with whatever SMBios used.  :)

if you use nv_disable=1 you see on bar Nvidia icon?

Have you rebuilt cache and permission (with kext utility)?

In my case I don't need because I am using a kext in L/E to patch policy

You mean after booting up the os? If so, yes there is. I have not tried the kext thingy... But... I didn't change anything in S/L/E. All my kexts are loaded from Clover. Why would i need to rebuild the cache?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Uhm

you are using a patched Nvidia web driver it changes / adds some kexts in S/L/E

I don't know which method you have used in beta 1/2/3 but you are installing a not certified driver from Nvidia/apple I think

maybe it is not relevant and I have no direct experience with you rig

sorry

You're right. I missed that aspect.

I actually didn't use anything with previous betas. Of course I also didn't have any acceleration. :)) But this is a test rig. So I just didn't use it that much.

I'll try a cache rebuild and see if it changes anything.

Even if it doesn't work after that , I thank you very much for the effort. :)

• Like 1

You mean after booting up the os? If so, yes there is. I have not tried the kext thingy... But... I didn't change anything in S/L/E. All my kexts are loaded from Clover. Why would i need to rebuild the cache?

a.) I guess if you installed the patched 12.10.6 WebDriver from HERE, you just have to run the Nvidia WebDriver Updater v1.5 and patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to 17A306f if you use 10.13 PB2 or 10.13 DP3. If you already use 10.13 DP4, the Webdriver Installation should run OoB.

b.) Now if you do the 10.12.6 WebDriver installation manually, you have to install the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext in S/L/E by means of e.g. kextutility (in fact I use a different kext utility from a forum I am not allowed to mention). Then you have to decompose the content of the 10.12.6 Webdriver-378.05.05.25f01.pkg with unpk.app into a corresponding WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01 directory on your desktop. You have to open the WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01 directory and drop all kext files in the sub-directory "1.6-85-378.05.05.25f01-NVWebDrivers" to the kextutility.  The kextutlility should properly install all kext files in S/L/E/ and fix the required permissions. Then you reboot. Then you run the Nvidia WebDriver Updater v1.5 and patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to 17A306f if you use 10.13 PB2 or 10.13 DP3, or to "17A315i" if you already use 10.13 DP4. You reboot once more and now the 10.12.6 WebDrivers should work with 10.13.

Furthermore, I use "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext" and "SkylakeGPolicy.kext" in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/ and I also applied the AGDPfix.app.

I guess, if you do not follow these steps, your 10.12.6 WebDriver cannot be properly loaded under 10.13 and you get stocked at boot without the boot flag nv_disable=1. 

Cheers,

KGP

• Like 1

a.) I guess if you installed the patched 12.10.6 WebDriver from HERE, you just have to run the Nvidia WebDriver Updater v1.5 and patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to 17A306f if you use 10.13 PB2 or 10.13 DP3. If you already use 10.13 DP4, the Webdriver Installation should run OoB.

b.) Now if you do the 10.12.6 WebDriver installation manually, you have to install the 10.12.6 AppleGraphicsControl.kext in S/L/E by means of e.g. kextutility (in fact I use a different kext utility from a forum I am not allowed to mention). Then you have to decompose the content of the 10.12.6 Webdriver-378.05.05.25f01.pkg with unpk.app into a corresponding WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01 directory on your desktop. You have to open the WebDriver-378.05.05.25f01 directory and drop all kext files in the sub-directory "1.6-85-378.05.05.25f01-NVWebDrivers" to the kextutility.  The kextutlility should properly install all kext files in S/L/E/ and fix the required permissions. Then you reboot. Then you run the Nvidia WebDriver Updater v1.5 and patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to 17A306f if you use 10.13 PB2 or 10.13 DP3, or to "17A315i" if you already use 10.13 DP4. You reboot once more and now the 10.12.6 WebDrivers should work with 10.13.

Furthermore, I use "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext" and "SkylakeGPolicy.kext" in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/ and I also applied the AGDPfix.app.

I guess, if you do not follow these steps, your 10.12.6 WebDriver cannot be properly loaded under 10.13 and you get stocked at boot without the boot flag nv_disable=1. 

Cheers,

KGP

The installation went ok... It's just that I can't boot with that installation. :))

So, if the driver you mentioned above is already installed, to which build number do I need to patch the driver if I'm running Beta 4 already? 17A306f or the current version 17A315i? This was always confusing to me. 

Also, since the driver is already installed...do I still need to do what you said on point b ?

I'm getting a grey screen with a mouse pointer when I tried to boot (after installation is done). On a previous installation of the same version of HS (dp1), something miracle happened and the language chooser screen appeared, but not this time so far. But I have reasons to believe that the language chooser did appear in the second time, but couldn't see it due to the grey screen.

Also, I needed to use -xpcm during the second boot (I forced shutdown and tried a second time, but it stuck near "Waiting for DSMOS" which seems to solve if I use -xpcm bootflag).

My machine is Kaby Lake (i3-7100u, HD620) notebook

Grey screen problem is automatically resolved, but I had to wait for 3 hrs playing with the mouse pointer.

• Like 1

The installation went ok... It's just that I can't boot with that installation. :))

So, if the driver you mentioned above is already installed, to which build number do I need to patch the driver if I'm running Beta 4 already? 17A306f or the current version 17A315i? This was always confusing to me. 

Also, since the driver is already installed...do I still need to do what you said on point b ?

If you did a) you should not need B):wink_anim:

I guess with Beta 4 you refer to DP4. So you need to patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to  "17A315i".

Don't forget using "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext" and "SkylakeGPolicy.kext" in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/ and also applying the AGDPfix.

Try option B only if a) does not work...

I guess with Beta 4 you refer to DP4. So you need to patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to "17A315i".

Don't forget using "NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext" and "SkylakeGPolicy.kext" in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Others/ and also applying the AGDPfix.

What is SkylakeGPolicy.kext and what does it do? Where to get it if needed?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What is SkylakeGPolicy.kext and what does it do? Where to get it if needed?

The SkylakeGPolicy.kext seems to prevent from loading the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext. However, Nvidia Pascal Graphics Cards of the 10xx Series seem to require the AGDPFix in any case. I do not know if the SkylakeGPolicy.kext is really necessary if one applies the AGDPfix anyway. Maybe somebody else more expert can comment on that. In any case please find the SkylakeGPolicy.kext attached below.

SkylakeGPolicy.kext.zip

I guess with Beta 4 you refer to DP4. So you need to patch the "NVDAStartupWeb.kext" to  "17A315i".

With nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and Lilu.kext you don't need to use AGDPfix nVidiaGraphicsFixup is supposed to take care of the black screen. Unless it's not working in macOS High Sierra.

and also IntelGraphicsFixup is taking care of the black screen on Intel GFX.

The SkylakeGPolicy.kext seems to prevent from loading the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext. However, Nvidia Pascal Graphics Cards of the 10xx Series seem to require the AGDPFix in any case. I do not know if the SkylakeGPolicy.kext is really necessary if one applies the AGDPfix anyway. Maybe somebody else more expert can comment on that. In any case please find the SkylakeGPolicy.kext attached below.

I'll give it a miss. Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixUp work for me.

I'll give it a miss. Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixUp work for me.

Yes they did work for me too, But I haven't tested the latest release yet. I thought maybe they stopped working in the new PB

@cyberdevs try this patch on 10.13

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696</string>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

ugUAAAA=

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

ugAAAAA=

</data><dict>

• Like 1

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Disable board-id check to prevent no signal © lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696</string>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

ugUAAAA=

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

ugAAAAA=

</data><dict>

I know this patch but I never used it before. When it was introduced by @Pike I was using an AMD GPU and after that I switched to nVidia I found that the nVidiaGraphicsFixup was taking care of the black screen issue.

Thanks anyway I will give it a try and see if it affects the GPU benchmarks and compare them with the nVidiaFixUp to determine which one is the best way to avoid the black screen ;)

• Like 2

I know this patch but I never used it before. When it was introduced by @Pike I was using an AMD GPU and after that I switched to nVidia I found that the nVidiaGraphicsFixup was taking care of the black screen issue.

Thanks anyway I will give it a try and see if it affects the GPU benchmarks and compare them with the nVidiaFixUp to determine which one is the best way to avoid the black screen ;)

ok. wait for your test answer

• Like 1

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<key>Disabled</key>

<false/>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

ugUAAAA=

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

ugAAAAA=

</data><dict>

This is from: https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/kern_ngfx.cpp#l50

If I remembered correctly, it was by @vit9696, not Pike. The one Pike provided was searching for "board-id" and replace to anything else, which may not work properly on some cases. (e.g. my gtx 650)

EDIT: Yes. @lvs1974 used Pike's one at first, then replaced by @vit9696's, see https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/svn/1/tree/trunk/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/kern_ngfx.cpp#l50

Edited by PMheart
  • Like 2

This is from: https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/kern_ngfx.cpp#l50

If I remembered correctly, it was by @vit9696, not Pike. The one Pike provided was searching for "board-id" and replace to anything else, which may not work properly on some cases. (e.g. my gtx 650)

EDIT: Yes. @lvs1974 used Pike's one at first, then replaced by @vit9696's, see https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/svn/1/tree/trunk/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/kern_ngfx.cpp#l50

So this patch that changes the board-id to board-idx is already implemented in the nVidiaGraphicsFixaup.kext so I don't think the GPU benchmarks will show any noticeable difference.

• Like 1

So this patch that changes the board-id to board-idx is already implemented in the nVidiaGraphicsFixaup.kext so I don't think the GPU benchmarks will show any noticeable difference.

No.

"board-id" -> "board-ix" was only available in NvidiaGraphicsFixup r1, after that (since r2) NvidiaGraphicsFixup changes "mov edx, 0x5" to "mov edx, 0".

• Like 1

No.

"board-id" -> "board-ix" was only available in NvidiaGraphicsFixup r1, after that (since r2) NvidiaGraphicsFixup changes "mov edx, 0x5" to "mov edx, 0".

I see, I saw the code and I realized that after I asked the question :P  But thanks of clearing that up :)

I still can't boot to macOS High Sierra using the driver that @gengik84 posted earlier. No display at all. It just like the post that @arsradu posted. 

• Like 1