[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

What is your HS install method

Only the core.pkg method has worked for me. I am aware of this,  "For APFS you need Drivers UEFI apfs.efi or apfs-64.efi for the Legacy Clover

you must put this drivers into drivers64UEFI or drivers64

Another solution is to install as hfs+, install clover to the EFI partition then attach the drive to another HS installation, open disk utility, dismount the drive go to edit and convert it to APFS, the only drawback is that you need another system with HS installed to do this, but I warranty it works, I did it in a Toshiba L855-S5309 and it works. :thumbsup_anim:

post-35379-0-03893100-1501432376_thumb.png

Another solution is to install as hfs+, install clover to the EFI partition then attach the drive to another HS installation, open disk utility, dismount the drive go to edit and convert it to APFS, the only drawback is that you need another system with HS installed to do this, but I warranty it works, I did it in a Toshiba L855-S5309 and it works. :thumbsup_anim:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-07-30 at 12.41.16 PM.png

I might just try that. 

Only the core.pkg method has worked for me. I am aware of this,  "For APFS you need Drivers UEFI apfs.efi or apfs-64.efi for the Legacy Clover

you must put this drivers into drivers64UEFI or drivers64

Core is not good because Imaging is death in HS, Core.pkg or Osinstall.mpkg is depreciated for High Sierra

Core.pkg do not Create a Recovery HD and Volumes VM

You can try the new Apple Deploying method startosinstall  its the new way for Deploy recommanding by Apple! 

The tools is inside macOS High Sierra Beta.app, the name startosinstall; you can find in Contents/Resources/startosinstall

This is good for all Hackintosh user

I find it a shame to see so many people have a lot of difficulty with High Sierra

You can see my signature, My Hackintosh Stuff.  I made a program a few weeks ago to use startosinstall, the name is MACOSXInstaller. Clover is included in my program as well as the apfs drivers

If you doing this on your way

See Usage: startosinstall bellow

Usage: startosinstall --applicationpath <install macOS.app path>

Arguments

--applicationpath, a path to copy of the OS installer application to start the install with.

--license, prints the user license agreement only.

--agreetolicense, agree to license the license you printed with --license.

--rebootdelay, how long to delay the reboot at the end of preparing. This delay is in seconds and has a maximum of 300 (5 minutes).

--pidtosignal, Specify a PID to which to send SIGUSR1 upon completion of the prepare phase. To bypass "rebootdelay" send SIGUSR1 back to startosinstall.

--converttoapfs, specify either YES or NO on if you wish to convert to APFS. If you do not specify this, the default is YES.--usage, prints this message.

You can start from scratch, Inside macOS Sierra 10.12 ; formatted your SSD or HD in Mac OS Extended journaled / Guid table

To do the method manually

FIRST! Install Clover to the SSD or HD in (UEFI) or (ESP boot0af + CloverEFI 64-Bits SATA), not working Legacy

Do not use Clover RC scripts on select volume.

Make sure you have on your Applications macOS High Sierra Beta.app (Beta 4 or Public Beta 3)

Select Volume not working in BETA 1,2,3 This is why you need BETA 4 or PB 3

If you doing this on your way

See Usage: startosinstall Upper

Its verry fast, when its finish you have to clic Terminate 

See Pics bellow

68747412.jpg

On that way you have Clover install for APFS Volumes or HFS+J

Hope that help and fix your issue

Trouble shooting for APFS Install

If you have install to a External SSD you can correct the trouble shooting APFS 

Retry, Reboot and dont install, open the folder in your Install SSD

macOS Install Data verify the file minstallconfig.xml see if the APFS is set to true

like the image in the Spoiler

sans_t42.png

Post edited **********

​Last Edit 02 August 2017 by chris1111

I edit the post so that people see the Usage startosinstall
  • Like 10

Core is not good because Imaging is death in HS, Core.pkg or Osinstall.mpkg is depreciated for High Sierra

Core.pkg do not Create a Recovery HD and Volumes VM

You can try the new Apple Deploying method startosinstall  its the new way for Deploy recommanding by Apple! 

The tools is inside macOS High Sierra Beta.app, the name startosinstall; you can find in Contents/Resources/startosinstall

This is good for all Hackintosh user

I find it a shame to see so many people have a lot of difficulty with High Sierra

You can see my signature, My Hackintosh Stuff.  I made a program a few weeks ago to use startosinstall, the name is MACOSXInstaller

You can start from scratch, Inside macOS Sierra 10.12 ; formatted your SSD or HD in Mac OS Extended journaled / Guid table

Install Clover to the SSD or HD in (UEFI) or (ESP boot0af + CloverEFI 64-Bits SATA), not working Legacy

Do not use Clover RC scripts on select volume.

Make sure you have on your Applications macOS High Sierra Beta.app (Beta 4 or Public Beta 3)

Select Volume not working in BETA 1,2,3 This is why you need BETA 4 or PB 3

Rename the SSD Install  for adapte to the command, see --volume /Install

The command for APFS  is

( copy and passe the command )

"/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app" --volume /Install --rebootdelay 30 --nointeraction

Install is the name of the volumes, you can can change the name if you want but make sure is the name of the SSD you are trying

For HFS+J  the command is

( copy and paste the command )

"/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --applicationpath "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app" --converttoapfs NO --volume /Install --rebootdelay 30 --nointeraction

Install is the name of the volumes, you can can change the name if you want but make sure is the name of the SSD you are trying

Its verry fast, when its finish you have to clic Terminate 

See Pics bellow

68747412.jpg

On that way you have Clover install for APFS Volumes or HFS+J

Hope that help and fix your issue

Thank you so much.

I'm on HFS+j too with DP4. 

You asked if it was possible and you got your answer. Multiple people are saying that it is.

You're also told how to make Clover to boot and how to install Clover on APFS.

Chris1111 even installed it on HFS+j to actually show you that it is possible. So, what more do you want?

If you're not able to install on HFS+j or to boot APFS, then maybe you should tell us how you are trying to do it so that we can help you, instead of questioning someone elses answers.

HFS+ is only possible to install to an usb drive or an hdd but not on an ssd, if you don’t know what you are talking about then say nothing!

HFS+ is only possible to install to an usb drive or an hdd but not on an ssd, if you don’t know what you are talking about then say nothing!

Please stop :rolleyes:  I show you last night install on SSD OCZ Agility 3 120 g  HFS+J ➤ Here

captur89.png

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90

Well then ...

Image%202017-07-30%20at%2011.12.17%20PM.

... if you know the answer yourself, why are you asking then?

Guys, wasn't APFS supposed to be the default filesystem? What are we arguing about? I'm sure if you wanna have it in HFS+, you can have it. But then again, why would you want that? :))

Just reading you guys' posts made me curious enough to wipe my High Sierra partition, format it as HFS+ (again) and start the upgrade from Sierra.

Result? Well, aside from the fact that it didn't ask me to update to APFS, it automatically switched to APFS. Am I mad about it? Not at all! :))) Wasn't that the whole point of APFS? To be default? And the switch to be transparent to the user?

Anyway, I have a theory (actually two) since some of you guys have it in HFS+, others (including myself), had it automatically converted to APFS. Which, again, is nothing to be mad about. It's not a bad thing. :))

So, a few things I was curious about:

1. Did you guys install this build as an upgrade from Sierra? Meaning starting the installation from Sierra? I hope we're all talking about build 17A315i here (just throwing it up there in case that might make a difference).

2. Is it a clean install?

3. Which version of APFS.efi driver are you using? Not sure this makes any difference... I tried with the one from the initial release, installed High Sierra TWICE, and got the exact same result with both the APFS.efi from the initial release, and the one found in Beta 4. So...yeah, probably not relevant...

4. Did you guys have High Sierra previously installed in APFS format on the same SSD? Do you guys think it could be possible that, the first time you install/upgrade to it, something gets saved somewhere, so that it won't ask you every time about it? Like...giving your consent for APFS only once? It's just a theory, of course. And I can't (and won't) wipe my entire SSD just to prove this. :)) I've got other stuff on it. And I need it. :))

5. Are all of you guys' SSDs internal (SATA) SSDs? (looks like they are)

Anyway, just a few ideas I would like to discuss with you guys, if you're up to it. :)

Also, as a side note, there's no need to argue over such topic. I mean, seriously. :)) We're a community. We don't compete over who's right or wrong. There's no such thing. Anybody can be equally right and wrong. The point here is to learn from each other's successes and failures so we can evolve together as a community.

I'm pretty sure that, in this case, the answer is hidden somewhere in the details. We just need to find it. And, to me, there's no better way to do that other than by putting our minds to it, together, as a team.

Update:

After re-reading Chris' post (thanks Chris), looks like it does occur for SATA SSDs, as well. Cool! That answers our No. 5 question.

• Like 2

About USB max limit port patch, use this one instead under 10.13 (17A306f) Target kext changed from AppleUSBXHCIPCI to AppleUSBXHCISPT but the patch seems to be the same at list in my system.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (100-series)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>g32MEA==</data>
<key>MatchOS</key>
<string>10.13.x</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleUSBXHCISPT</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>g32MGw==</data>
</dict>
</plist>
  • Like 2

​​​About USB max limit port patch, use this one instead under 10.13 (17A306f)

<string>change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext (100-series)</string>

​...

Thank you.

​Question:

Is it safe now to do this? I mean because it was a 15 port limit because some potential crash / or overflow in apple XHCI usb driver. Does this fix / avoid that crash overflow (above 15 ports used) ? I ask Rehabman about this a while back. But at that earlier time he said there was no known fix (it being an issue in apple's code)....

Yes I know its still ok that many people who just use USBInjectAll.kext and do not bother to worry. Who dont disable any USB ports. And those other guys who have NUC or laptop with much fewer USB ports = less than 15 total. It doesnt matter for those guys.

Guest ricoc90

Also, as a side note, there's no need to argue over such topic. I mean, seriously. :)) We're a community. We don't compete over who's right or wrong. There's no such thing. Anybody can be equally right and wrong. The point here is to learn from each other's successes and failures so we can evolve together as a community.

I second that; but: the question was if it was possible to install DP4 on HFS+j on a SSD. I think it's proven enough that it is.

He is arguing on the answers that are given to him in a way that is, well, not so friendly. But enough about that.

Anyway, 

The reason why I'm still using HFS+j is because Sierra and High Sierra are on the same disk. 

When I tried APFS it corrupted my partition map and both partitions were not able to mount anymore, which forced me to reinstall everything. 

When HS final is out I will wipe the SSD and I will install HS on APFS

Thank you very much for your reply. :) As I said at the beginning of my previous post, if you wanna have it done that way, you can have it. And you definitely prove that that's possible.

Now, about the reason you're sticking to HFS+... Actually, I'm using Sierra and High Sierra on the same SSD (different partitions, of course). But....I've got no issues. Sierra uses HFS+, High Sierra uses APFS. Not sure how did that happen in your case. Surely not something you would want. But...it didn't happen to me. I was also a bit reluctant to try High Sierra (especially in APFS) on the same drive. But yeah, I got no issues here.

Guest ricoc90

Thank you very much for your reply. :) As I said at the beginning of my previous post, if you wanna have it done that way, you can have it. And you definitely prove that that's possible.

Now, about the reason you're sticking to HFS+... Actually, I'm using Sierra and High Sierra on the same SSD (different partitions, of course). But....I've got no issues. Sierra uses HFS+, High Sierra uses APFS. Not sure how did that happen in your case. Surely not something you would want. But...it didn't happen to me. I was also a bit reluctant to try High Sierra (especially in APFS) on the same drive. But yeah, I got no issues here.

It did boot at first without issues. Then I enabled Trim and verified the disk through disk utility but it said it couldn't due to a corrupted partition map.

The next time I booted the machine it ran fsck and BAM! Partitions gone. I don't know if it was a bug or an error at my hand, but i find it too risky to try again  :lol: 

Even more because like I said, once HS is out I will wipe the SSD and install HS @ APFS on it  :) 

Good to hear that you're not experiencing any issues though.

I need to say that I did not install HS on APFS right away, since it would only let me install on a HFS+ journaled disk, no idea why...

So I converted the disk to APFS through terminal after the installation

You might wanna know that I got TRIM enabled too. :D And...I've rebooted probably tens of times since then. No issues whatsoever. So there might be something else going on with your drive...

How did you enable TRIM? Cause there's one way with a kext, if I'm not mistaken, something called TRIM enabler. And there's another way through terminal, using sudo trimforce enable (that's what I used).

I have to say, pretty weird issue you're describing there.

However, I perfectly understand why you're not feeling very comfortable with APFS at this point in time. You have every reason to feel like that. And yeah, after all, it's still a beta. And if that was a bug, which is not impossible, we can hope it will be fixed until the final release, so you can update as well, this time with no issues.

Thank you.

​Question:

Is it safe now to do this? I mean because it was a 15 port limit because some potential crash / or overflow in apple XHCI usb driver. Does this fix / avoid that crash overflow (above 15 ports used) ? I ask Rehabman about this a while back. But at that earlier time he said there was no known fix (it being an issue in apple's code)....

Yes I know its still ok that many people who just use USBInjectAll.kext and do not bother to worry. Who dont disable any USB ports. And those other guys who have NUC or laptop with much fewer USB ports = less than 15 total. It doesnt matter for those guys.

I havnt tested the new patch but since Sierra I have been using a custom ssdt with UsbInjectAll.kext. Even in HS the same ssdt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Update:

After re-reading Chris' post (thanks Chris), looks like it does occur for SATA SSDs, as well. Cool! That answers our No. 5 question.

Yes its possible and if the people read this Post  correctly It is very easy to install in APFS or HFS + J and to have Clover install in UEFI or ESP even on a volume apfs

I find it a pity that people are a lot of trouble to install HS and that it still uses the Core.pkg method which in fact does not even create certain Essential Volumes. They find themselves with an uncomplete instalation

• Like 2

Yes its possible and if the people read this Post  correctly It is very easy to install in APFS or HFS + J and to have Clover install in UEFI or ESP even on a volume apfs

I find it a pity that people are a lot of trouble to install HS and that it still uses the Core.pkg method which in fact does not even create certain Essential Volumes. They find themselves with an uncomplete instalation

The Core.pkg method is really not a good one, but really a bad one. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

Hello Everyone ,, Trying to boot the Clover Legacy but it doesent show the apfs partition. Renamed the apfs efi to apfs-64 efi and paste it to the drivers64 .. but it still cant show the apfs partition

can any one help me or send me the clover legacy apfs please.. Thanks 

Hello Everyone ,, Trying to boot the Clover Legacy but it doesent show the apfs partition. Renamed the apfs efi to apfs-64 efi and paste it to the drivers64 .. but it still cant show the apfs partition

can any one help me or send me the clover legacy apfs please.. Thanks 

apfs.efi go in drivers64uefi without renaming.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Today I accidentally discovered this wonderful topic (since I am collecting different patches for broadcom 4360 kext).

My idea is to implement a new Lilu plugin to patch this kext in the more intellectual way, just not by replacing bytes (thanks to @PMheart for the initial idea).

It's called AirportBrcmFixup: https://sourceforge.net/projects/airportbrcmfixup/

And here I found out that I missed something: BCM4352-iovar. 

I was not able to find any explanations what this patch actually does.

What is the influence of this patch?

Could somebody answer to my question, please?

hello 

airport extreme fix here

enjoy :)

BCM4352-Airport-Extreme, (credit skvo)
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360
6b100000 750d
6b100000 9090
10.13.x

BCM4352-Airport-Extreme, (credit Sherlocks based on skvo original)
com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC
6b100000 750d
6b100000 9090

BCM4352-fvco, (credit Sherlocks based on the-darkvoid original)
81f952aa 000074bf
81f952aa 00006690

BCM4352-iovar, (credit Sherlocks)
85db4c8b 65c87971
85db4c8b 65c8eb71

4883c410 89c385db 7946
4883c410 89c385db eb46

BCM4352-Airport-Extreme, (credit Sherlocks based on skvo original)
com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC-MFG
6b100000 750d
6b100000 9090

BCM4352-fvco, (credit Sherlocks based on the-darkvoid original)
81ff52aa 000074c4
81ff52aa 00006690

0f896201 0000
0f886201 0000

4883c410 89c385db 7944
4883c410 89c385db eb44

• Like 2