OS X Yosemite DP's builds!

2,033 posts in this topic

Too bad that UEFI is not really open source, because then you could patch everything Clover does now from within the UEFI BIOS and load boot.efi. Without the need to reproduce the whole freaking code base. This is also why my bets are on Coreboot.org. I want that to mature so that we can start doing what had to be done in the first place.

Guess you never heard of Ozmosis?

So, it used to be closed and now is recently published... That would explain the understanding it was closed source....

For someone starting out, Clover is, in many ways, easier... especially on recent hardware (KernelPm and AsusAICPUPM are built-in and automatic, for example).  And there are less surprises on OS X updates...  Either way, there is much for the noob to learn.

Yes, Clover works reaaly well on all mobos I have

Too bad that UEFI is not really open source, because then you could patch everything Clover does now from within the UEFI BIOS and load boot.efi. Without the need to reproduce the whole freaking code base. This is also why my bets are on Coreboot.org. I want that to mature so that we can start doing what had to be done in the first place.

cool  B)

That is only a part of what people are using in their UEFI BIOS as in not everything is open source.

Guess you never heard of Ozmosis?

That is a hack. Not open source code. Again. What people are using with Ozmosis is just a part of their UEFI BIOS. And don't get me started about that wonderful new OS X compatible motherboard.

Note: Clover basically duplicates a large amount of the EDK II source code, patch some lines and that's about it. And no. I am not talking about the Chameleon derivatives and later additions. In short. If it was really open source, and all of it, then you could do far more than what is possible at this very moment. And without hacks.

That is only a part of what people are using in their UEFI BIOS as in not everything is open source.

That is a hack. Not open source code. Again. What people are using with Ozmosis is just a part of their UEFI BIOS. And don't get me started about that wonderful new OS X compatible motherboard.

one then has to consider Revoboot and Chameleon 'hacks' as you put it.

one then has to consider Revoboot and Chameleon 'hacks' as you put it.

Sure. 100% but let me try to clarify something here. I'm not against Clover – absolutely not – but I want people to stop bashing and spreading 'lies' about  other boot loaders, most notably Chameleon. And trust me when I say that I have zero interest in Chameleon, and I have yet to published my own source code, but I keep helping where I can. Even the Clover developers/end-users. In short. There is an incredible bias towards Clover, and what I keep reading is stuff like: Chameleon shows a fake Apple logo on boot. Well. At least it shows something, because for many people… they don't even see that Apple logo with Clover. Which we all have to remember is not fake, but simply not drawn by boot.efi. Not to mention that it was taken from Apple's own  source code. There you have it. So much for "fake". And like boot.efi is the holy grail or something. Well. If that was true then things would look much brighter for Clover, and that darn Apple logo would be there for everyone. But it isn't. Anyway. I'm perfectly fine with Clover and people using Clover. 

Cheers everyone ;)

• Like 1

Guys sorry for my noob and personal observation. 

the really advantage to load boot.efi in UEFI mode for me, it's just that I can leave my boot-sector as "Disk Utility" created them. 
then everything is patched: will never be vanilla (even if such a thing is done on the fly ------> is patched). 

So the most important thing is that the bootloader preferably works well, and overtaking Updates without losing functionality,
otherwise, if we have more claims, we should use this: the only that work really well

Micky :lol:

EDK II is a modern, feature-rich, cross-platform firmware development environment for the UEFI and PI specifications

MEMBERSHIP LEVELS

The UEFI Forum offers different membership levels for companies interested in membership.

Adopter Membership

Complimentary annual membership
Membership benefits as listed above

Contributor Membership

$2,500 annual membership
Membership benefits as listed above in addition to the following:
Opportunity to participate in UEFI Working Groups via invitation
Participate on email reflectors related to UEFI Forum activities
Preview draft revisions of the UEFI specification

You may not be able even to use the UEFI logo without permission....

If that was true then things would look much brighter for Clover, and that darn Apple logo would be there for everyone. But it isn't. Anyway.

The boot logo is disabled during install on unsupported machines. Look at the install.log. Change your smbios to supported machine and u get the logo

• Like 3

DP3 coms.....

Dear Developer,

We will be performing a server-side data wipe on all CloudKit public and private databases for iOS 8 beta and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview users on July 7, 2014. The following iCloud features will be affected: iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop. 

Photos and videos stored in iCloud Photo Library will remain on their original iOS 8 devices and will upload to iCloud Photo Library again automatically. iCloud Drive can be re-enabled from Set up Assistant after upgrade. If you choose to store your documents in iCloud Drive, your Documents & Data will automatically be copied to iCloud Drive. iCloud Drive will not update across earlier seeds or operating systems. Attachments sent through Mail Drop will expire and need to be resent after you upgrade.

DP3 coms.....

Dear Developer,

We will be performing a server-side data wipe on all CloudKit public and private databases for iOS 8 beta and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview users on July 7, 2014. The following iCloud features will be affected: iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop. 

Photos and videos stored in iCloud Photo Library will remain on their original iOS 8 devices and will upload to iCloud Photo Library again automatically. iCloud Drive can be re-enabled from Set up Assistant after upgrade. If you choose to store your documents in iCloud Drive, your Documents & Data will automatically be copied to iCloud Drive. iCloud Drive will not update across earlier seeds or operating systems. Attachments sent through Mail Drop will expire and need to be resent after you upgrade.

That's quite misunderstanding. I boot to my 10.10 drive and check the update. :D

For sure, nothing shows up. LOL

The boot logo is disabled during install on unsupported machines. Look at the install.log. Change your smbios to supported machine and u get the logo

I use a supported SMBIOS setup and cannot find anything boot/logo related in my copy of Install.log. Care to share an example?

• Like 1

I use a supported SMBIOS setup and cannot find anything boot/logo related in my copy of Install.log. Care to share an example?

localhost OSInstaller[455]: Removing background color for incompatible machine Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4

• Like 2

Indeed:

Jun  4 09:55:31 localhost OSInstaller[426]: Removing background color for incompatible machine Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4

So the crucial moment for the logo to be enabled or not is during the installation process, modbin? Meaning the only way to get the logo back is to reinstall "the right way" (with a proper smbios)?  No, there must be a way to re-enable the background color without having to reinstall. We just should look for whatever the files the installer removes and put them back.

All the best!

hello

from my install.log

Jun 29 02:34:33 localhost OSInstaller[418]: Setting background color for compatible machine Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F

and never see the logo

maybe in next dp..

good hack

• Like 1

hello

from my install.log

Jun 29 02:34:33 localhost OSInstaller[418]: Setting background color for compatible machine Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F

and never see the logo

maybe in next dp..

good hack

Mine too:  Jun 25 17:23:48 localhost OSInstaller[415]: Setting background color for compatible machine Mac-AFD8A9D944EA4843

Yeah SMBios changes are not enough if u use Clover.

hello

i'm using clover .. 

so u are saying the problem is in Clover ?

can u share any details ?

thanks