Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Yes thanks to clover, its possible to have version and upgrade proof kexts. Vladimescu showed me a way to make a kext that uses symbolic link for the binary and then clover can patch if needed. 

there is an example of AppleHDA_20672.kext and Broadcombluetooth_T420.kext in the zip in the post in my signature allows me have ALL kexts independent of the version and survive any upgrade or install.

i upgraded from 10.9.5 to 10.10 without reinstalling or replacing any kexts.  This approach is cool since there is no name collision there is no need to replace AppleHDA.kext anymore. Keep the original in place the alternate is loaded but uses the binary executibles so its always at the right rev.

also if folks don't like putting custom kexts in /S/L/E then /Library/Extensions is a good 2nd choice vs EFI which i only use for installers. 

Here to report that with latest revision installed to a Yosemite HFS+ partition, Clover no longer starts. This is probably due to the removal of the built-in HFS+ driver. 

Another thing, Clover installer overwrites Windows UEFI bootloader (EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi) when installed to the EFI partition. (I'll assume that this is to maintain compatibility with older firmwares).

Hey guys big fan of the site. My first post this year? I just installed clover and got everything working to my satisfaction but right before i select what OS to go into clovers calls my Windows Boot " Boot Microsoft EFI boot Menu from EFI, Can i get it to just Read Boot Windows 8.1? i tried using clover configurator under the GUI menu and pick Title Name to be windows 8.1 but yet i can this. any ideas?

@cyber007x: that's been answered several times, take a look a few pages back and you'll find the solution. You'll only need the partition's GUID (in Clover's log or press spacebar in the GUI and you'll see a big number with dashes) and add a custom entry.

To change the name of the entries you'll need to create custom ones for each. Here's the wiki section and an example for OS X:

<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Yosemite</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>Volume GUID here</string>
</dict>

And one for Windows:

<dict>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Windows 7</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Windows</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>Volume GUID here</string>
</dict>

@cyber007x: that's been answered several times, take a look a few pages back and you'll find the solution. You'll only need the partition's GUID (in Clover's log or press spacebar in the GUI and you'll see a big number with dashes) and add a custom entry.

I also have the same problem.
I've tried to fix that doing what you said, but in my Clover's Log the GUID of my Windows HD appears as " null ".

I don't know what it can be.

Look for the windows GUID in the line where it locates bootmgfw.efi.

Scanning loaders...

9: 'EFI'

AddLoaderEntry for Volume Name=EFI
    skipped because path `PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x3,0x0,0x0)\HD(1,GPT,3969F175-36CB-49C3-AB96-C5B5FDCFB4F7,0x28,0x64000)\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi` already exists for another entry!

I was having problems with my trackpad.  It appears to be caused by the Clover PS2 64-bit driver.  My laptop has a synaptics clickpad. I am using Clover version 2988.  My primary PS2 kext is RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller.  I am using his 2014-1016 version.  With the Clover PS2 driver installed, the trackpad was very difficult to operate and the tapping function was virtually non-existent.  Once I realized that I had 2 different ps2 drivers, I removed the Clover driver and my trackpad function improved greatly.  I haven't experimented to see whether Clover's PS2 driver is better than RehabMan's for my trackpad.  Call it loyalty on my part.  His driver was the first and best I have ever used.  All I know is that, together, they work quite poorly.  Perhaps in the installation description it can say that the driver may not be needed if another ps2 driver is being used.

Those are 2 different things, Clover's own EFI drivers only works in Clover's GUI, and Voodoo's drivers are for the OS and do nothing in Clover's GUI. So it's not really a duplicate driver issue but probably a bug or incompatibility between the EFI driver and your hardware.

I am having a peculiar problem with Mavericks. Would like to know if this is  Clover issue or not.

Installed Mavericks 10.9.1 with Clover a few weeks ago and I find that it will not let me open a downloaded file. Error message is "Can't open (filename) because it is from an unknown developer"

The only change made to this computer : (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5- Intel i7-920 - 12 GB memory - EVGA Geforce GTX 760 - 2GB) is the video card which show as 0 Gb memory?

Trying to find out why I can not open (for Instance) Clover boot loader) on the desktop?

I'm still struggling with a few things. I got hold of an original Mac Pro serial and fixed my iMessage issues.

My config:

- i7-4770K

- Nvidia GTX780 (first revision, not B revision)

- Asus Maximus VI Gene (with working NVRAM thanks to Clover)

- Original OEM Apple WiFi/Bluetooth (802.11ac and BT4.0)

I have created a fresh DSDT with PJALM's all-in-one patch for Maximus VI (Generic).

Audio is injected via CloverALC, with on-the-fly-patching.

I still have issues with sleep. Power management is done with the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS and with the FrequencyVectorData of an iMac14,2 (within the X86PlatformPlugin.kext) I don't have full power management (states 8, 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 is all I get), but the same states occur when I'm using the iMac14,2 SMBIOS. I have tried with Clover generated SSDT and with a manually injected SSDT, same result. Therefore, I don't think anything is wrong here.

The hack can go to sleep perfectly. It can go to sleep automatically or being forced. Waking up works as well. The problem is that it wakes up every half an hour or so, spinning up all the fans, and then going back to sleep. Sometimes the screen turns on, mostly doesn't. It makes me think of the behavior of Power Nap, but this isn't enabled. Due to the iMac14,2 FrequencyVectorData I do have the option in Energy Saver.

In Energy Saver I have set the following:

- Put the hard disks to sleep when possible.

All other options are checked off, so no Wake for network access or Power Nap.

I have run the Wake Reason command in terminal, but this doesn't give me any clarification:

Oct 27 13:38:23 Tests-Mac-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct 27 13:55:50 Tests-Mac-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct 27 16:22:23 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: GLAN (Network)
Oct 27 20:04:32 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct 28 01:28:03 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
Oct 28 01:31:30 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
Oct 28 01:32:31 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 01:38:01 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 01:41:37 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 01:43:33 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 01:49:01 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
Oct 28 02:07:07 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct 28 02:35:23 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct 28 02:39:59 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 02:43:36 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
Oct 28 02:44:37 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 03:14:36 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC
Oct 28 03:18:50 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: (Network)
Oct 28 03:19:48 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Oct 28 06:58:14 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Oct 28 07:01:51 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: PXSX PXSX PEGP PEG1 PEG2
Oct 28 09:55:45 Mac-Pro-Titan kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC

Attached my DSDT and config.plist.

Does anyone know how to fix this automatically waking from sleep behavior?

DSDT + Config.zip

AFAIK iMacs usually have only min + max + turbo states. If you want better spread p-states try with a MacBookPro or MacMini profile instead. And the wake problem is not really related to Clover, it's probably the RTC alarm for maintenance reasons.

@Fab1Man - if you are talking your system waking up from sleep every 2 hours so, read this thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300072-wake-reason-rtc-alarm-how-to-deactivate/page-6

Clover has a rc script to stop this on Mavericks but the mdnsresponder functionality got merged into discoveryd and so that script does nothing when on Yosemite.  there doesn't seem to be good answer for yosemite yet IMO

Look for the windows GUID in the line where it locates bootmgfw.efi.

Scanning loaders...

9: 'EFI'

AddLoaderEntry for Volume Name=EFI
    skipped because path `PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x3,0x0,0x0)\HD(1,GPT,3969F175-36CB-49C3-AB96-C5B5FDCFB4F7,0x28,0x64000)\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi` already exists for another entry!

Can't find "bootmgfw.efi"... but searching for "Skipped" (also present on your example), I got two results...

2:178  0:000      skipped because path `PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(2,GPT,B9AFEA6B-ABEC-47C7-9BDC-82A0246E7E79,0x64028,0xECE2340)\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi` already exists for another entry!

2:180  0:000      skipped because path `PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x1,0xFFFF,0x0)\HD(3,GPT,592FD5BB-C6A4-4B94-AE7F-29D5760AC8DC,0x71B12E08,0x2ABE060)\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi` already exists for another entry!