Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have any thoughts or ideas about USB using Clover on Yosemite 10.10?  I'm running a GA-Z77X-UD5H and I've played with almost every BIOS setting I can think of, and tried many different things with the bootloader (different power management settings, USB fix injections, different SMBIOS) and I cannot pinpoint the solution to this issue.

The problem is that certain USB devices (mainly, my Logitech USB camera) do not seem to respond after sleep.  In one case, with PLL Overvoltage set to "Auto" in BIOS, the computer will attempt to wake but then immediately reboot before the screens have a chance to turn on.  This only happens with the USB camera plugged in.

With PLL Overvoltage set to "disabled" the computer will wake even with the USB camera plugged in, but it will not be recognized anymore by any apps that use it (Facetime, Photo booth, etc.).  If I plug in any USB device after wake from sleep, the computer immediately reboots with a kernel panic on the CPU.

Any thoughts?

(I also posted this on the topic over at ProjectOSX.com)

Have you also tried PBR and PBRTest?

I have tried PBR and was unsuccessful.  I'd assume the same using PBRTest, no?  All I would get with PBR is the black screen with blinking cursor.  Once I switched to LegacyBiosDefault, I would get what's described in previous post.

Does anyone here have any thoughts or ideas about USB using Clover on Yosemite 10.10? I'm running a GA-Z77X-UD5H and I've played with almost every BIOS setting I can think of, and tried many different things with the bootloader (different power management settings, USB fix injections, different SMBIOS) and I cannot pinpoint the solution to this issue.

The problem is that certain USB devices (mainly, my Logitech USB camera) do not seem to respond after sleep. In one case, with PLL Overvoltage set to "Auto" in BIOS, the computer will attempt to wake but then immediately reboot before the screens have a chance to turn on. This only happens with the USB camera plugged in.

With PLL Overvoltage set to "disabled" the computer will wake even with the USB camera plugged in, but it will not be recognized anymore by any apps that use it (Facetime, Photo booth, etc.). If I plug in any USB device after wake from sleep, the computer immediately reboots with a kernel panic on the CPU.

Any thoughts?

(I also posted this on the topic over at ProjectOSX.com)

What is your specific hardware? If it is the same as mine you can try my Clover files and patches created with the help of Timewalker.

What is your specific hardware? If it is the same as mine you can try my Clover files and patches created with the help of Timewalker.

It is very similar to yours (see my sig) except that I'm using discrete graphics.  I'm using the same exact motherboard with the same BIOS.

Can you upload and explain these patches? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, would you mind posting your BIOS changes to make it all work?

It is very similar to yours (see my sig) except that I'm using discrete graphics. I'm using the same exact motherboard with the same BIOS.

I managed to get sleep working (or at least it has worked the few times I have tried sleep/wake) by:

1. Using BIOS F14

2. Creating a clean DSDT by disabling the on the fly DSDT patches in Clover and using pjalms DSDT patches for the Z77X-UD5H

3. darkwake=0

4. Disable CPU PLL in BIOS.

It is very similar to yours (see my sig) except that I'm using discrete graphics. I'm using the same exact motherboard with the same BIOS.

I will take some screenshots and zip everything up tonight for you, I don't know how discreet graphics will effect things but I guess you could try it without it for fault finding?

I will take some screenshots and zip everything up tonight for you, I don't know how discreet graphics will effect things but I guess you could try it without it for fault finding?

Yeah definitely!  I would really appreciate that.  Worst case scenario I could disable discrete and use internal for testing purposes.

By the way, does your Logitech camera work before/after sleep and after reboots?  That is really the only issue I'm dealing with now.

Any way to make Clover ignore disks other than the one where it's installed?

I've noticed that if I disconnect my HDD where Windows is installed, and only leave the one where OS X is installed, Clover GUI loads much faster.

I know that I can use GUI/Hide entry to hide any partition I want, but I'd like Clover to really ignore looking for partitions on other HDDs.

My boot drive is called "OCZ VERTEX-TURBO Media".

My Yosemite boot partition is called "OS X".

With r2953, Clover boot menu shows "Boot Mac OS X on OS X", referring to the partition named "OS X", where Yosemite's installed.

With r2976, Clover boot menu shows "Boot Mac OS X on ?", referring to the partition named "OS X", where Yosemite's installed.

I've just ran the r2976 installer and upgraded the same files as I've installed r2953, nothing more.

config.plist remained the same, nothing's changed.

Then, this new bug has started.

I've reinstalled r2953 (on top of r2976) and the bug is gone. Clover boot menu is showing "Boot Mac OS X on OS X" again.

Thanks for the observation. I know what is this and will correct soon.

• Like 1

My bios doesn't see the efi partition

start       size  index  contents

0          1         PMBR

1          1         Pri GPT header

2         32         Pri GPT table

34     409600      4  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409634          6         

409640  194402768      1  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

194812408    1269536      2  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

196081944  780429040      3  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

976510984     262151         

976773135         32         Sec GPT table

976773167          1         Sec GPT header

My bios doesn't see the efi partition

409634          6         

976510984     262151         

And what?

I reply about a post of yesterday,because my bios doesn't see the efi boot in the primary disk.

An user tell me to post that screen for see if it's mbr or pmbr.

This is my situation

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

1:                  Apple_HFS Mac                     99.5 GB    disk0s1

2:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s2

3:                  Apple_HFS Dati                    399.6 GB   disk0s3

4:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s4

409634          6         

976510984     262151         

@davidcmc,

My laptop has legacy BIOS (specs in my signature).  Clover installed in FAT32 EFI System Partition on GUID hard drive.

@stuppy_

I think it is safer to specify values for MLB/ROM/Custom UUID/System Serial/SmUUID in your config.plist rather than leave blank, especially if you plan on updating your bootloader regularly.  I have seen imessages break a few times on certain Clover revisions when the default values or behaviour have been changed (either deliberately or due to a buggy Clover release).

Also by leaving all the values blank, you are running the risk that the values are non-unique ---> Apple may block them for your AppleID if too many people use the same serials to login to imessage at the same time.

In your current situation, use imessage_debug v2 to save your working serials to a text file and fill in the relevant spaces in Rt Variables/System Parameters/SMBIOS of your config.plist.  At the very least, record the MLB & ROM values somewhere safe...

Hi Fusion, thank you for your advice. 

I am pretty confused right now, if you could, and to any others reading who might be able to educate me, spare me some more of your time. 

I have been reading around and obviously not everyone has a genuine Mac.  I fortunately do, a late 2009 Mac mini that serves as a media device for my TV.  I thought rather than using made up values that may be at some point in the future be possibly used by someone else, I could use the values dumped from iMessageDebug from my Mac mini on my Hackintosh.  I have entered the information into Clover Config, but am unsure whether what I have done is the correct way.  I have entered data from the Mac mini debug file into my config.plist (via Clover Config):

Model               -->    Product Name
Board-id            -->    Board-ID
BoardSerialNumber   -->    Board Serial Number
SerialNumber        -->    Serial Number
System-ID           -->    SmUUID

I have not entered any data into the Rt Variables as I read that the ROM and MLB values in this section are/will be deprecated and will be calculated from information in the SMBios section.  Please correct me if I am in error.

Anyway, the results; when I run iMessageDebug on my Hackintosh now, all the returned values match that of the debug from the Mac mini, with the exception of the ROM value.  I have no idea if this is correct?  Even the Hardware UUID is the same, I did not enter that value into anywhere in Clover configurator. 

Have I done the right thing?  Please, anyone who can advise, thank you.

EDIT:  Just tried to log into iMessages after posting this and have got the 'Contact support' message.  I will lay off contacting them to unlock again in case I need to make more changes. 

EDIT #2:  Another thing I forgot to mention, the BoardSerialNumber value dumped from my mac is only 13 characters long, not the 17 that I see everyone else talking about.  Is this ok?!

Hi Fusion, thank you for your advice.

I am pretty confused right now, if you could, and to any others reading who might be able to educate me, spare me some more of your time.

I have been reading around and obviously not everyone has a genuine Mac. I fortunately do, a late 2009 Mac mini that serves as a media device for my TV. I thought rather than using made up values that may be at some point in the future be possibly used by someone else, I could use the values dumped from iMessageDebug from my Mac mini on my Hackintosh. I have entered the information into Clover Config, but am unsure whether what I have done is the correct way. I have entered data from the Mac mini debug file into my config.plist (via Clover Config):

Model               -->    Product NameBoard-id            -->    Board-IDBoardSerialNumber   -->    Board Serial NumberSerialNumber        -->    Serial NumberSystem-ID           -->    SmUUID
I have not entered any data into the Rt Variables as I read that the ROM and MLB values in this section are/will be deprecated and will be calculated from information in the SMBios section. Please correct me if I am in error.

Anyway, the results; when I run iMessageDebug on my Hackintosh now, all the returned values match that of the debug from the Mac mini, with the exception of the ROM value. I have no idea if this is correct? Even the Hardware UUID is the same, I did not enter that value into anywhere in Clover configurator.

Have I done the right thing? Please, anyone who can advise, thank you.

EDIT: Just tried to log into iMessages after posting this and have got the 'Contact support' message. I will lay off contacting them to unlock again in case I need to make more changes.

EDIT #2: Another thing I forgot to mention, the BoardSerialNumber value dumped from my mac is only 13 characters long, not the 17 that I see everyone else talking about. Is this ok?!

@stuppy_

@tluck asked a similar question in post#5968 and Slice has confirmed in post#5979 that MLB/ROM injection from RtVariables is NOT DEPRECATED (the wiki is WRONG!!). It still works and the Clover developers have no intention of changing it ....

"You are quite right and AFAIK RtVariables are still working. We are not going to change current method."- @Slice

So if you want to clone your mac mini fully ....

1. BoardSerialNumber ---> Board Serial Number in SMBIOS &/or MLB in RtVariables

2. ROM ---> ROM in RtVariables

3. SerialNumber ---> Serial Number in SMBIOS

4. System-ID ---> CustomUUID in SystemParameters and set inject System-ID to true.

Notes

• At the moment, to activate iMesssage/Facetime you only need to borrow your Mac's MLB & ROM values. A random, fake, generated SerialNumber and System-ID will also work for hacks
  • Without using RtVariables, your ROM value would need to be injected from SmUUID in SMBIOS section (last 12 characters of SmUUID would be used as ROM)
  • Clover will also use the SmUUID value specified in your config.plist to inject as the system-id if a CustomUUID is not specified in SystemParameters
  • I'm pretty sure (but not certain) your 13 character MLB should still work since older Macs had shorter Main Logic Board Numbers. Try it with your Mac's ROM value and report back :).

@stuppy_

@tluck asked a similar question in post#5968 and Slice has confirmed in post#5979 that MLB/ROM injection from RtVariables is NOT DEPRECATED (the wiki is WRONG!!). It still works and the Clover developers have no intention of changing it ....

"You are quite right and AFAIK RtVariables are still working. We are not going to change current method."- @Slice

4. System-ID ---> CustomUUID in SystemParameters and set inject System-ID to true.

Notes

• At the moment, to activate iMesssage/Facetime you only need to borrow your Mac's MLB & ROM values. A random, fake, generated SerialNumber and System-ID will also work for hacks
  • Without using RtVariables, your ROM value would need to be injected from SmUUID in SMBIOS section (last 12 characters of SmUUID would be used as ROM)
  • Clover will also use the SmUUID value specified in your config.plist to inject as the system-id if a CustomUUID is not specified in SystemParameters
  • I'm pretty sure (but not certain) your 13 character MLB should still work since older Macs had shorter Main Logic Board Numbers. Try it with your Mac's ROM value and report back :).

So, to make iMessage work, I should simply add the MLB and ROM values in RtVariables dict of config.plist, right?

According to this guide, MLB is supposed to be OSX S/N + random alpha/numeric values to make 17 digits long. As for ROM, I should simply copy and paste my ethernet MAC address (without colons), right?

Where do I find the OS X serial number? Is it the one printed as "Serial Number" in "About This Mac"?

@stuppy_

Notes

Hi Fusion,

Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.  Before I go flying in to committing to spoofing my Mac mini;  is it perfectly safe to use information that isn't taken from a real Mac?  Since I copied my Mac mini's information into my Hackintosh, it is appearing on my network as a Mac mini.  I know it makes no difference what-so-ever to how my Hack will function, I am a sucker for the cosmetic details. 

I read that using the Mac address for ethernet (as david just mentioned above) as a basis for the MLB/ROM is a way to generate unique information that should not be blocked by Apple?  Or does this apply only to the serial number?

Basically what I am asking;  it would be great for my Hackintosh to appear as a Mac Pro (or as an iMac as it has been for a long time), but using values that are not going to be blocked by Apple.  If this is possible could you advise on the best way to proceed?

Thank you again for your advice.

@stuppy et al,

yes fusion71au is spot on.  there are plenty of posts about how to obtain and use the MLB and ROM values from a real mac. Thats what i did - and was happy to find out the working RtVariable method will not disappear.  I find the RtVariables very easy to implement. search imessage_debug. I posted some info in the T420 thread in my sig. and if you inject MLB/ROM it not change the model of your system at all. 

• Like 1

@stuppy et al,

yes fusion71au is spot on.  there are plenty of posts about how to obtain and use the MLB and ROM values from a real mac. Thats what i did - and was happy to find out the working RtVariable method will not disappear.  I find the RtVariables very easy to implement. search imessage_debug. I posted some info in the T420 thread in my sig. and if you inject MLB/ROM it not change the model of your system at all. 

Cheers Fusion and tluck... will give that a try tomorrow :)... See, this is why I donated some money to this forum; without it, I wouldn't get guys like you and Fusion and the many others who have helped me, who are more talented and skilled and willing to give some of your time to help me not only fix my problems, but also educate me as to why the problem exists and what the fixes achieve.

Thank you guys.  Please, if anyone else has any more advice to throw at me, I am always in 'absorb' mode :)

And please guys, if someone has helped you in anyway to get your Hack working, please donate.  Just think of all the money they have saved you by helping you to get OS X running on your undoubtedly much cheaper hardware than what Apple charge for their equipment.

• Like 1

@stuppy_,

If you want to keep your hack as an iMac rather than a Mac Mini in the "about" screen, just generate an iMac serial with Champlist/ChameleonWizard/Clover Configurator and a unique system-id with uuidgen in OSX terminal.  There isn't a problem using the Mac Mini's MLB/ROM with an iMac system serial, just don't share the MLB/ROM values publically :).

Edit 10/30/14: Your results look good...the only serials relevant to iMessage/Facetime activation will be shown in iMessage_debug - as long as those values are valid & persistent between reboots, you should be OK.

Real MacPro3,1 SMBIOS had 11 character system serial so your System Profiler is OK.  Not sure about processor tray SN but that is just cosmetic anyway.

Optional to put MLB in SMBIOS Board Serial if you have already placed it in RtVariables.

@davidcmc,

That is the "traditional" hackintosh method of generating a MLB and ROM and is OK if you are willing to call Apple Support with the customer support error code to "validate" or "register" the fake values to your AppleID on Apple's servers.  Just make sure the other values generated by iMessage_debug are also valid and persistent after rebooting the computer (the HardwareID/SystemID/System Serial).

IMHO, there is a bit of "hysteria" regarding "Mac Spoofing" or "Leeching" the MLB/ROM from a real Mac in that guide.  I've posted my thoughts about the matter in post #161 in the All In One Guides.

Hi,

just want to report that i have a cosmetic issue with the fading apple in bootcamp theme with clover 2976 (black borders).

No problem with 2953.

I know, will think about.

I reply about a post of yesterday,because my bios doesn't see the efi boot in the primary disk.

An user tell me to post that screen for see if it's mbr or pmbr.

This is my situation

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

1:                  Apple_HFS Mac                     99.5 GB    disk0s1

2:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s2

3:                  Apple_HFS Dati                    399.6 GB   disk0s3

4:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s4

Now I see the problem. EFI partition must be the first one while you have disk0s4.

Don't know if possible to learn BIOS what to do.

@stuppy_

If you want to keep your hack as an iMac rather than a Mac Mini in the "about" screen, just generate an iMac serial with Champlist/ChameleonWizard/Clover Configurator and a unique system-id with uuidgen in OSX terminal.  There isn't a problem using the Mac Mini's MLB/ROM with an iMac system serial, just don't share the MLB/ROM values publically :).

Hey Fusion,

Again thank you for the advice... greatly appreciated.  I believe I have done what you said.  If I may run by you what I did just to be sure I'm good:

1. Set my SMBios to a MacPro3,1 - with randomly generated Serial Number created by Clover Config

2. In SmUUID on SMBios section - input a UUID generated by uuidgen in Terminal.

3. In Rt Variables - Input my Mac Mini MLB & ROM values (note: My Mac Mini Late 2009 MLB is 13 characters long - not 17 as everywhere I read seems to suggest, though I think you already said this was ok)

Note: In SMBios, Board Serial Number field is empty. Should I put the MLB in this field as well as in Rt Variables?

After doing this, iMessages started working again (the contact customer support message disappeared).  Computer is recognised as a Mac Pro.  

Only thing I have noticed in System Profiler, and not sure whether this is an issue or not:  I have the following entries regarding Serial Numbers:

Serial Number (system): XXXXXXXXXXX

Serial Number (processor tray): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The serials are both different; the first 11 characters long, the second 17 characters.  Is this because I have set it as a Mac Pro?  Is it ok to be like this?  Thanks!