Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

@teeodor 

gdisk has to ability to renumber the partitions in order of location. however, it surprises me that it matters. there are plenty of posts showing disks with EFI not as the 1st partition. i presume you do not have a second disk to validate? 

@stuppy_

If you want to keep your hack as an iMac rather than a Mac Mini in the "about" screen, just generate an iMac serial with Champlist/ChameleonWizard/Clover Configurator and a unique system-id with uuidgen in OSX terminal.  There isn't a problem using the Mac Mini's MLB/ROM with an iMac system serial, just don't share the MLB/ROM values publically :).

Hey Fusion,

Again thank you for the advice... greatly appreciated.  I believe I have done what you said.  If I may run by you what I did just to be sure I'm good:

1. Set my SMBios to a MacPro3,1 - with randomly generated Serial Number created by Clover Config

2. In SmUUID on SMBios section - input a UUID generated by uuidgen in Terminal.

3. In Rt Variables - Input my Mac Mini MLB & ROM values (note: My Mac Mini Late 2009 MLB is 13 characters long - not 17 as everywhere I read seems to suggest, though I think you already said this was ok)

Note: In SMBios, Board Serial Number field is empty. Should I put the MLB in this field as well as in Rt Variables?

After doing this, iMessages started working again (the contact customer support message disappeared).  Computer is recognised as a Mac Pro.  

Only thing I have noticed in System Profiler, and not sure whether this is an issue or not:  I have the following entries regarding Serial Numbers:

Serial Number (system): XXXXXXXXXXX

Serial Number (processor tray): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The serials are both different; the first 11 characters long, the second 17 characters.  Is this because I have set it as a Mac Pro?  Is it ok to be like this?  Thanks!

That looks correct. If you put a number into BoardSerialNumber it will show up in the processor tray one. If you have it set to another Mac model you won't see that. That's my understanding at least.

• Like 1

Slice,

What sections of the DarwinDumper you'll like to see (so I check them and attach the report)? Only "Devices Properties" or all dumps?

BTW, I attach my config.list, my custom DSDT.aml and the clover debug.log.

This is the config.plist I found you attached.

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 21.18.58.png

As I see FakeID for ATI = 0.

So what about you asked? 

@teeodor 

gdisk has to ability to renumber the partitions in order of location. however, it surprises me that it matters. there are plenty of posts showing disks with EFI not as the 1st partition. i presume you do not have a second disk to validate? 

I can try with usb stick.

But one week ago i have the efi partition first,after i try many times to format and install clover and then i lost the efi partition and then i remake it.

But also when it's been the 1st partition the bios doesn't see it.

If i install clover in usb stick,the bios see it perfectly

This is the config.plist I found you attached.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 21.18.58.png

As I see FakeID for ATI = 0.

So what about you asked? 

Here's the second attachment I made (I was using dsdt.aml to inject it, that's why I didn't use anymore the clover options):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2023864

And your answer :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2023869

Anyway, the whole idea is to fake the ID of the internal GFX (Ati HD 4850, ID 944A, Quail) to another one that will use the 10-bit framebuffer of the HD ATI 4870 (MotMot, ID 9440, which is one of the few 10-bit supported cards under mac os x, but I don't really know if this will work, I'm just trying to). Using gpusniffer, it shows that it's using the 4850 opengl engine, so even if in system profiler the ID has been changed, it seems is only a cosmetic change.

As you pointed out:

Apple firmware produces own DeviceProperties that override one produced by Clover. That's why you see ATY,Quail instead of MotMot.

Thanks.

It needs to be physically the first partition, not logically, you could not have ever had it as first since you have other partitions there. Not even sure how you could have created such a disk because both OS X and UEFI Windows create a EFI partition when they create the first data partition on an uninitialized drive in their respective installers and/or OS X disk utility.

EDIT: Actually after looking back at your diskutil output, it is first physical partition, so you need to reorder the partitions logically as tluck said.

No it needs to be first physical and logical partition, that's how a disk is determined to be EFI capable by the (U)EFI specification. It's not necessary for GPT disks, only (U)EFI, some firmwares may not care and search all partitions for such support, but most probably follow the spec and expect it to be first.

Ok,i understand.

Can you have the code for renumber partition?

I search in google but it's very difficult for me

That looks correct. If you put a number into BoardSerialNumber it will show up in the processor tray one. If you have it set to another Mac model you won't see that. That's my understanding at least.

Cheers.  Will leave it as it is. Everything works so hopefully it is sorted. 

Got another couple of questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

First, and this is totally a cosmetic thing; even after reading around various forums and the Clover literature, I am still unsure on how to hide and rename partitions in the GUI.  Just to let you know of how I have my disks/OS's setup:

Disk A:  OS X Yosemite (128GB SSD)

DiskB:  Windows 8.1 (256GB SSD) - Installed as UEFI

Disk C:  OS X Yosemite Clone of Disk A as Backup/Testing

Disk D: 3TB Data

I have 7 Boot options when the GUI loads. They are named:

1) Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI

2) Boot Mac OS X from OSX <--- This Disk C

3) Boot Mac OS X from OS X Yosemite <---  This is Disk A

4) Boot Recovery from Recovery HD

5) Boot Windows from Legacy HD1

6) Boot Windows from EFI

7) Boot Windows from Legacy HD4

Selecting Option 1 boots Windows 8.1

Selecting Option 2 boots OS X Yosemite Disk C

Selecting Option 3 boots OS X Yosemite Disk A

I don't really need access to the recovery HD for OS X (at least I don't think I do?).  And options 5-7 I am guessing are the other 3 partitions that Windows creates when installing as UEFI (recovery, EFI and some other random partition).  I would also like to rename the other options so they are clearer.

Secondly: I have my Clover config to boot OS X Disk A by default.  I know I can go into Startup Disk in Sys Prefs and  select the Windows partition, and it will boot into Windows, the next time the computer reboots; but is there a way to do this from Windows? 

My thinking is this:  I use the computer using remote desktop quite a bit, and sometimes, both in OSX and Windows.  If I install something that requires me to restart the computer, and I am in Windows, it will reboot into OSX.  I would then have to tell it to reboot into Windows from OSX... hope that makes sense.  I am guessing I could edit something in the config.plist from within Windows to make Windows the default boot drive?

Thank you.

1- Disable the Legacy entry scan.

2- Hide "Recovery" (available by pressing F3 in Clover’s GUI, in case you ever need it)

3- You can make it reboot to the last booted volume with "LastBootedVolume"

Hi, thanks.

That LastBootedVolume sounds like it would do the trick - however:  If I am in Windows, how do I then tell it to boot into OS X on next boot?  In OS X I could use the Startup Disk options in System Preferences - but does Windows have a similar option?

I think there's a Bootcamp utility for that but it won't work from a regular PC because it doesn't have access to the nvram (or does it?) nor the nvram.plist located in the OS X partition.

So no, at least that you'll have to do manually. From my point of view it's pointless anyway, because you'd still need to manually set the boot partition from the startup disk utility which will involve a few clicks and may be faster to just press 2 keys in Clover's GUI instead next boot.

Christ, I have made a boobie here...

I, for some reason that escapes me, installed (from within Clover Configurator) NTFS UEFI and NTFS drivers, from the Install Drivers section. 

Since then, 2 additional Windows icons have appeared on the boot GUI screen:

1. Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from Hackintosh OSX Yosemite

2. Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from Hackintosh OSX Mavericks

Selecting these just loops back to the Clover boot menu, so they are non functional, and I have no idea how to remove them. 

FYI, in the boot GUI I have an option to boot Windows 8 which actually works, and then my two OS X installations (on seperate disks) - Yosemite and Mavericks. 

Also, once that is fixed - can anyone tell me how I can rearrange and rename the 3 entries I actually want there. 

I would like the entries to appear:

1. Boot OS X Yosemite

2. Boot Windows 8.1

3. Boot OS X Mavericks

I have attached my current Clover Config and last boot log.

bootlog.txt

config-plist.txt

Then get rid of those extra drivers, it was working fine before right? And to change the name of the entries you'll need to create custom ones for each. Here's the wiki section and here's an example for OS X:

<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Yosemite</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
<string>Volume GUID here</string>
</dict>

And one for Windows:

<dict>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Windows 7</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Windows</string>
<key>Volume</key>
</dict>

Then get rid of those extra drivers, it was working fine before right? And to change the name of the entries you'll need to create custom ones for each. Here's the wiki section and here's an example for OS X:

<dict>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Yosemite</string>
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<true/>
<key>NoCaches</key>
<false/>
<key>Type</key>
<string>OSX</string>
<key>Volume</key>
</dict>
And one for Windows:

<dict>
<key>FullTitle</key>
<string>Windows 7</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>Windows</string>
<key>Volume</key>
</dict>

Hi thanks for the response.

I forgot to say that I did get rid of those drivers but the entries persist.

Is best install in SLE than kext folder? Why?

Because thats where kexts belong! It's nice to be able to use kexts from /Extra, kexts folders or even in firmware, but thats not how they are intended to be loaded..

IMHO people need to get over this "vanilla" or "cleaner" delusion.

• Like 3

for the heck of it I tried VBoxHFS-64.efi instead of HFSPlus-64.efi (since i saw some recent work on the Vbox driver).

anyway strange results - microsoft boot option showing up?

Note: for this test using 1 GPT/GUID disk with 3 partitions (EFI, OSX, RecoveryHD)

on r2953 - i get 2 options - OSX and RecoveryHD - and it boots for OSX.

on r2976 - i get a mystery 3rd boot option for Microsoft bootmgr.efi which does nothing since it doesn't exit. But can boot OSX when selected.

on r2990 - i get a mystery 3rd boot option for Microsoft bootmgr.efi - will not boot OSX anymore. However, replace VBoxHFS-64.efi with HFSPlus-64.efi then i get the 2 expected boot options and it will boot fine.

so somewhere between 2953 and 2976 - something changed for VBoxHFS.efi

and then between 2976 and 2990 something changed again for VBoxHFS.efi

i have attached preboot logs for both drivers on 2990. here are the diffs. (stripped out timing colums)

$ diff preboot-hfsplus.log preboot-vboxhfs.log 

1c1

<  MemLog inited, TSC freq: 2491907680

---

>  MemLog inited, TSC freq: 2491903680

3c3

<  Now is 2.11.2014,  16:54:40 (GMT+2047)

---

>  Now is 2.11.2014,  16:50:36 (GMT+2047)

5c5

<  SelfDevicePath=PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(1,GPT,871FC976-B713-428D-88D1-A7F78562D6E7,0x28,0x64000) @D8163F98

---

>  SelfDevicePath=PciRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x1F,0x2)\Sata(0x0,0x0,0x0)\HD(1,GPT,871FC976-B713-428D-88D1-A7F78562D6E7,0x28,0x64000) @D8162798

38c38

<  Loading HFSPlus-64.efi

---

>  Loading VBoxHfs-64.efi

131c131

<  Calibrated TSC frequency =2491907680 =2491MHz

---

>  Calibrated TSC frequency =2491903680 =2491MHz

186a187

>      AddLoaderEntry for Volume Name=OSX+

199c200

<  DefaultIndex=0 and MainMenu.EntryCount=8

---

>  DefaultIndex=0 and MainMenu.EntryCount=9

preboot-2990.zip

Because thats where kexts belong! It's nice to be able to use kexts from /Extra, kexts folders or even in firmware, but thats not how they are intended to be loaded..

IMHO people need to get over this "vanilla" or "cleaner" delusion.

+1

I think too, that it is useless to many mental *******, in fact if you use windows as the operating system the various drivers are installed in the system and not on extra system folders , or not?

Are you agree with me?

PS:

I use the kext in 10.9 or 10.10 folders just to make tests ... then install all  in S/L/E
Edited by Allaп
Offensive words.

The main reason /Clover/kexts folder exists is to keep (most) things working after Software Updates of OS X.

Also, being able to inject and patch kexts from outside SLE is one of the biggest triumphs of Clover. Chameleon has tried to do that in the past, with no success.

The main reason /Clover/kexts folder exists is to keep (most) things working after Software Updates of OS X.

Also, being able to inject and patch kexts from outside SLE is one of the biggest triumphs of Clover. Chameleon has tried to do that in the past, with no success.

Yes this is true what you say, but the only kext that can give annoyance after an upgrade is just HDA...or ACPM