Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

Moreover, my concern with this whole mess would be apple not only coming down on the OSX86 community, but coming after those of us who already have MacIntels working ... don't know about you, but i don't feel like having the FBI raid my house and take my computers away (including my legit 2.4ghz macbook)

Moreover, my concern with this whole mess would be apple not only coming down on the OSX86 community, but coming after those of us who already have MacIntels working ... don't know about you, but i don't feel like having the FBI raid my house and take my computers away (including my legit 2.4ghz macbook)

Let me tell you from personal experience, the FBI does not give a {censored} about OSx86 (or at least not as long as you not are selling Hackintoshes on a large scale without compensating Apple).

Furthermore, there is really nothing that Apple can do about OSx86 at this point, the cat is out of the bag.

Developing an EFI emulator is not illegal. I would even assume that the distribution of it is not illegal either.

What is in fact illegal is to use an emulator as a vehicle to violate EULAs.

Sorry, I am just curious.

What's the different between use VGS to run Sony PS games in PowerPC Mac and use PC EFI to run Mac OS in homemade PC.

Is that illegal to play PS games with VGS because it violate Sony's EULAs?

I never hear some one said so before. :wacko:

Lets keep it like it is.... Tell us how to hack em and move on.... Lets keep it a noisy underground not a loud and obnoxious aboveground. If Apple did a PPC to intel switch, who says they cant or wont do another processor switch which may destroy all of these wonderful efforts.

lol finally someone else is thinking this............i think they will and i also think it will be a move to cell technology......mmmmm cell

do you lock your door when you leave your house or do you leave it open and unlocked??? a locked door can easily be kicked down but we still take precautions by lockin' the door.

Protection of physical and intellectual property are two very different pair of shoes. You can also physically lock up intellectual property, which in the end is what I said - never release it into public. Non material things are virtually impossible to preventively protect against theft in the way you can with physical things. The kind of protection you get is basically always reactive, when it's already been nicked, k'd, plagiarised, you name it, and you have to either 'run after' your rights or think of even more sophisticated protection mechanisms that will take a bit longer to crack this time...

Regarding the H2O example. Instead of the beat makers selling beats made on k'd software, an accurate comparison would be the people who sell warez. I would actually applaud if H2O somehow anonymously supported the coppers to crack down on those rogue traders who sell their crks for good money.

Regarding the PC EFI thing, a brilliant developer (which I reckon netkas is) can come up with a long list of benign purposes for his work. It would be up to the plaintiff to prove that its sole purpose is to break laws. Would anybody hold the manufacturer of knives accountable for the stabbing of somebody? Of course not cos' it's absurd.

btw don't get me wrong, man. I'm not looking for controversy with anybody on here. I just don't think what psystar is doing is in any way justifiable. The money they're making (or trying to) is not even that much on Apple's but very clearly on the OSX86 developer's backs.

Sorry, I am just curious.

What's the different between use VGS to run Sony PS games in PowerPC Mac and use PC EFI to run Mac OS in homemade PC.

Is that illegal to play PS games with VGS because it violate Sony's EULAs?

I never hear some one said so before. :(

Heh, that's an interesting thought to ponder.

I remember downloading a heck of alot of ROMS for my SNES emulator, and the readme.txt always said, "If you don't own this game, you must delete this ROM!".

Mind you, I've never seen a Nintendo EULA stating that you couldn't play their games on an emulator (mostly because SNES PC emulation was unheard of in 1992.)

Heh, that's an interesting thought to ponder.

I remember downloading a heck of alot of ROMS for my SNES emulator, and the readme.txt always said, "If you don't own this game, you must delete this ROM!".

Mind you, I've never seen a Nintendo EULA stating that you couldn't play their games on an emulator (mostly because SNES PC emulation was unheard of in 1992.)

PS game is use the cd rom.

In my knowledge, if you want to use VGS to play the Sony PS games,

You have to use the GENUINE copy of Sony PS game cd rom purchased from store.

Actually I have no idea where Sony put their EULA, but I don't think Sony like people to play PS game with VGS.

They filed a lawsuit against Connectix but failed.

I love Mac Design and Softrware, but that doesnt mean they should mark up 80% from something that would otherwise cost half if not less worth bcoz of a brushes shinny body?

All companies do this. I bought a plastic clip the size of a pencil eraser for our cars fuel filter the other day from the manufacture. This piece of plastic probably cost less than 0.002 cents to make, yet they charged a whopping $8.00 for it (and the car needs two of them). Companies do this. Why? Because they can.

I hope Apple works out some kind of agreement with this company so that they can continue, as it would not only be in Apples best interest but the OS X communities best interest too.

LOL :) OK, I know it's never going to happen but a man can dream ;)

your american laws really annoy me.

for germany there is no question, apple sold you the right to use one copy of leopard, if you bought a one user license, they can't tell you anything about how to use it.

it would also be legal to sell a pc that is able to accept a install disc of whatsoever, as long as you don't brake any patents in the pc itself (e.g. if some parts of the EFI would contain stolen code).

but you could get into trouble using words with copyright like "apple" or something.

Protection of physical and intellectual property are two very different pair of shoes. You can also physically lock up intellectual property, which in the end is what I said - never release it into public. Non material things are virtually impossible to preventively protect against theft in the way you can with physical things. The kind of protection you get is basically always reactive, when it's already been nicked, k'd, plagiarised, you name it, and you have to either 'run after' your rights or think of even more sophisticated protection mechanisms that will take a bit longer to crack this time...

Regarding the H2O example. Instead of the beat makers selling beats made on k'd software, an accurate comparison would be the people who sell warez. I would actually applaud if H2O somehow anonymously supported the coppers to crack down on those rogue traders who sell their crks for good money.

Regarding the PC EFI thing, a brilliant developer (which I reckon netkas is) can come up with a long list of benign purposes for his work. It would be up to the plaintiff to prove that its sole purpose is to break laws. Would anybody hold the manufacturer of knives accountable for the stabbing of somebody? Of course not cos' it's absurd.

btw don't get me wrong, man. I'm not looking for controversy with anybody on here. I just don't think what psystar is doing is in any way justifiable. The money they're making (or trying to) is not even that much on Apple's but very clearly on the OSX86 developer's backs.

finally something that i can agree with.

Can I update my Open/OpenPro with the Leopard OS using the Apple web site or the Leopard Automatic Update Feature?

We do not support that feature of the operating system. Supported updates will be listed under support on the Psystar website. Future operating system updates may cause severe system problems. Only install updates that have been tested and posted to the Psystar support website.

http://www.psystar.com/can_i_run_updates_on_my_openmac.html

I'm shocked by the amount of negative attitude toward PsyStar (whether or not they are legit) in this thread - I'm sorry, but what you're doing is no different from what they're doing. If you think using OS X on non-Apple hardware is immoral, then you should wipe your OSX86 partitions without delay. End of.

I want to see Apple's illegal EULA challenged in a European court of law. They probably will win in the US, but machine-specific tie-ins won't hold up to much here.

I'm sorry, but what you're doing is no different from what they're doing.

we're not using PC EFI, applehda patcher, nvinject etc. to make profit w/o authors permissions and we're not selling preinstalled Mac OS

I want to see Apple's illegal EULA challenged in a European court of law.

me too

...but machine-specific tie-ins won't hold up to much here.

i hope so

well i'd like to see apple's EULA changed to permit Mac OS installation on other than Apple hardware but i don't want apple to support these rigs. ppl often say that apple can't compete with MS in hardware compatibility in the meaning of drivers that's why it is tied to apple hardware. why should they? if for example Dell wants to sell PCs with mac os preinstalled it's their job to make or collect (not steal) correct drivers. why should apple make a mac os driver for my canon printer or MS webcam if they didn't sell it to me?

we're not using PC EFI, applehda patcher, nvinject etc. to make profit w/o authors permissions and we're not selling preinstalled Mac OS

Moot point. You're still profiting, just in a different way. Trying to justify your actions doesn't make them right ;)

Good article about this sort of thing at Macworld here :) They hint that if Apple goes after Psystar, that they will probably go after this site too.

Moot point. You're still profiting, just in a different way. Trying to justify your actions doesn't make them right :(

Good article about this sort of thing at Macworld here :) They hint that if Apple goes after Psystar, that they will probably go after this site too.

i dont care that psystar pfofits ( like us ).... as long as they they don't drag down the osx86 community down with them....we all gotta get our d!cks in the mashed potatoes once in a while!!!!! :(

we all gotta get our d!cks in the mashed potatoes once in a while

I won't even ask how you make gravy :):D

(Unfortunately) there is NO way that Apple is going to allow this. They are just getting their ducks all in a row and then they will demand that the company stop selling. If everyone remembers, Dell was begging Apple to allow them to sell a Mac clone, but Apple turned them down stating "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac". If they said no to a huge company like Dell, you can bet they will say no to a start-up company like Psystar :(

i wonder if this "update" was the consequence of psystar's wrongdoing

LOL, if you are running with a modified AppleSMBIOS.kext for your hacintosh to emulate imac, forget it. EFI is for real Mac.

BTW, IMHO, OSx86 project is for hobbyist to have fun, not for companies like Psystar to make money from it. :)

i wonder if this "update" was the consequence of psystar's wrongdoing :)
only if your on a real mac...Hackintoshes don't qualify.
LOL, if you are running with a modified AppleSMBIOS.kext for your hacintosh to emulate imac, forget it. EFI is for real Mac.
I think it's a coincidence (because the EFI updates for Macs came out way before this Psystar business showed up) but still it's possible that Apple is silently changing their EFI interface for a new coming mach kernel. We won't see it coming until we have a new kernel in hand. And once we have it, that's too late. (But if this is gonna happen, I am sure Netkas will know beforehand from a new kernel seed and let us know.) My fingers are crossed.