Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

They have done this for a long time, that was the first I heard about it and was a day before this post started.

And regarding chiese quality control... i believe that the boss who had to bear the responsibility of that committed suicide. In USA the boss would most likely blame it on some other and just ignore it. And if found guilty he would just be resigned, get his bonus and find a new job.

If apple allows osx86 and make it %100 compatible with x86 it would be soo cool :unsure:

Many people would move to OSX then

I don't want more people running Mac OS. I want the general public to be ignorant of the existence of the Mac and I hate how Macs have become so cool to have like big iPods. I saw a girl the other day and she asked me where I got a small MacBook Pro (12" Powerbook) and I just asked her if she knew Apple made computers before the iPod.

The more people that run it the higher the likelihood of someone creating malicious software for the platform. IMO The Intel switch was too short sighted on Apples part. So a G5 wouldn't have gone into a mobile. Who knows where a Power6 based PPC chip would have taken Apple and the up coming Power7, not to mention adaptations of the Cell chip or the Xenon chips. You can thank Sony and Microsoft for taking development away from a smaller cooler faster G5 and putting into the Cell and the Xenon chips. Not to mention the G5 was based on the Power4 and was only really an evolution of the G4 (which is available today up to 2GHz).

I think releasing OS X for every X86 machine would be its downfall. I think OS X is protected by its small percentage on the market. If everyone can install OS X officially, without the "crack" and "stolen" hassle, every freak would start hacking the {censored} out of it.

I agree completely.

I don't want more people running Mac OS. I want the general public to be ignorant of the existence of the Mac and I hate how Macs have become so cool to have like big iPods.

I wonder what Apple would say about this one :lol: It's the coolest commercial I've ever heard of 'til now... "Le petit egoiste"...

A tool is a tool, and a Mac is a tool in the first place.

Let's make a f... so-big diamond from OSX, so only 2 or 3 ppl on the planet would have it and enjoy it! Good Lord! :D

From now on I'm ready to see even that XXL/XXX Corvette with truck sussppention...

I saw a girl the other day and she asked me where I got a small MacBook Pro (12" Powerbook) and I just asked her if she knew Apple made computers before the iPod.

This post of yours is amusing. Tried to impress her?

The more people that run it the higher the likelihood of someone creating malicious software for the platform.

The more people that run it the higher the likelihood of someone creating software for the platform.

IMO The Intel switch was too short sighted on Apples part. So a G5 wouldn't have gone into a mobile. Who knows where a Power6 based PPC chip would have taken Apple and the up coming Power7, not to mention adaptations of the Cell chip or the Xenon chips.

Yeah, I understand your point. Problem was that there was simply to few mac users to make it viable.

You can thank Sony and Microsoft for taking development away from a smaller cooler faster G5 and putting into the Cell and the Xenon chips. Not to mention the G5 was based on the Power4 and was only really an evolution of the G4 (which is available today up to 2GHz).

It is a strange world here, where the largest userbase always gets the good stuff.

It is not Sony and Microsoft, but rather the limited monetary gain the previous small Apple userbase was giving.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, and I see some of your points, but I doubt that the Intel switch was shortsighted. Neither the ipod nor iphone.

This post of yours is amusing. Tried to impress her?

Quite the contrary, she tried to play the "I'm part of the cool crowd now" card. She couldn't understand that before they were called Macbooks they were call ibooks and Powerbooks. I don't have a 12" Macbook Pro... She only has it because it's the cool computer to have.

The more people that run it the higher the likelihood of someone creating software for the platform.

Yeah, I understand your point. Problem was that there was simply to few mac users to make it viable.

It is a strange world here, where the largest userbase always gets the good stuff.

It is not Sony and Microsoft, but rather the limited monetary gain the previous small Apple userbase was giving.

What software do you need that it doesn't have available now? I'm sure Jobs wants to sell more, but he has a monetary reason for wanting to sell more. Ultimately should malicious software find it's way on to the Mac, Jobs won't care it's not his problem he already got paid. You act like since the Intel switch alone created more Mac users. People would be buying Macs regardless of the architecture under the hood. Most Apple products have gotten more expensive than they were as PPC machines. Sure if more people bought Macs IBM would have had more reason to refine the G5, but now since the Intel switch how many people are going to buy Mac simply because of that switch? It has more to do with the popularity of the iPod and iPhone than the chips powering the computers.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, and I see some of your points, but I doubt that the Intel switch was shortsighted. Neither the ipod nor iphone.

This community wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Intel switch, nor would the situation of clones and pirating of OSX. Most people here didn't pay for Mac OS. They downloaded it. The point was that poster suggested that Mac OS be available for all X86 hardware. I disagree completely. The beauty of owning a Mac is that it looks works and feels like a real Mac. Making it available to every combination will only turn it into Windows and subsequently it's failures. Some of the people here have never used a real Mac so they don't know the difference. I never said the iPod or the iPhone were shortsighted...

They make what there is demand for and I doubt they aim to kill pets and children. You talk about their quality control and that they make lead ridden toys for your kids? Tell me, is a Chineyman you buy it from or from Walmart or ToyRUs? You guys need to take responsibility for your hand in things, its never one person to be blamed. What happen to US quality control? How come killer pet food and lead ridden toys get through to reach your kids?

They have done this for a long time, that was the first I heard about it and was a day before this post started.

And regarding chiese quality control... i believe that the boss who had to bear the responsibility of that committed suicide. In USA the boss would most likely blame it on some other and just ignore it. And if found guilty he would just be resigned, get his bonus and find a new job.

everybody likes to blame china for everything. most of it is bullxiet to me. if it was china then they would blame it on another "cheap labor" country like mexico...

Quite the contrary, she tried to play the "I'm part of the cool crowd now" card. She couldn't understand that before they were called Macbooks they were call ibooks and Powerbooks. I don't have a 12" Macbook Pro... She only has it because it's the cool computer to have.

What software do you need that it doesn't have available now? I'm sure Jobs wants to sell more, but he has a monetary reason for wanting to sell more. Ultimately should malicious software find it's way on to the Mac, Jobs won't care it's not his problem he already got paid. You act like since the Intel switch alone created more Mac users. People would be buying Macs regardless of the architecture under the hood. Most Apple products have gotten more expensive than they were as PPC machines. Sure if more people bought Macs IBM would have had more reason to refine the G5, but now since the Intel switch how many people are going to buy Mac simply because of that switch? It has more to do with the popularity of the iPod and iPhone than the chips powering the computers.

This community wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the Intel switch, nor would the situation of clones and pirating of OSX. Most people here didn't pay for Mac OS. They downloaded it. The point was that poster suggested that Mac OS be available for all X86 hardware. I disagree completely. The beauty of owning a Mac is that it looks works and feels like a real Mac. Making it available to every combination will only turn it into Windows and subsequently it's failures. Some of the people here have never used a real Mac so they don't know the difference. I never said the iPod or the iPhone were shortsighted...

i've used a real mac. my college had about 10-20 macs in the student computer lab.

i remember bein' in my friend's office and he was showin' us some of his songs on his mac (an older mac, like a g4 or a g5, probably a g4) and the mac locked up/froze/quit respondin' to any commands on us (so much for that theory that mac's are more stable than pc's).

Most people here didn't pay for Mac OS. They downloaded it. The point was that poster suggested that Mac OS be available for all X86 hardware. I disagree completely. The beauty of owning a Mac is that it looks works and feels like a real Mac. Making it available to every combination will only turn it into Windows and subsequently it's failures. Some of the people here have never used a real Mac so they don't know the difference. I never said the iPod or the iPhone were shortsighted...

Don't wanna turn this to a flame, BUT :)

Let me tell you something about the true beauty of owning a real Mac...

Sometime ago... some pal of mine (a very bright one there is) gets his first Mac. The guy used Win since he learned computer graphics... He thought switching to OSX would put an end to all his Win issues... So there he goes... pay top dollar for "the real thing" while I was still experimenting with Hackintosh (10.4.8) The next day the guy comes to me with the notorious finder crash caused by StuffIt and Toast kexts. No problelm. It can be fixed, I say. Later on, another "kext trouble" came above from his brand new MacBook. Finally he asked me where is all that money he payed for? He thought OSX is the perfect os. Bingo!

I don't own a real mac yet, although I used a few until now...

but at least I didn't have to pay for "the beauty" of learning about kexts and finder crashes.

Sounds good to me, although from what I've seen most Americans couldn't fit into one :)

@badeavasile

@maxxintosh

hey ,.. I am American (5'10''& 240 lbs.) and, I will beat the {censored} out of any skinny-ass Euro-pussy.......quickly and, easily ......why must you guys be such haters?

They make what there is demand for
Oh really? Where is your documentation that anyone wanted their pet killed, or their child poisoned with lead? :)

I doubt they aim to kill pets and children.
I doubt they care about anything other than making quick money selling inferior/deadly products.

is a Chineyman you buy it from or from Walmart or ToyRUs?
That would be the chinese businessman and the corrupt chinese government! Neither walmart or toysrus, or any other company for that matter, ever had lead or poison in the specs for the products that they ordered!

hey ,.. I am American (5'10''& 240 lbs.) and, I will beat the {censored} out of any skinny-ass Euro-pussy.......quickly and, easily

Not running uphill you won't :)

BTW-I'm American too, and just being honest about what's going on here. Americans are not the fattest country around, for sure, that privilege goes to the Aussies, but Americans aren't much better. People don't seem to care about their health until it's going bad :)

While relations between china and usa is one interesting topic for many, and obviously touchy topic, it has not very much about psystar selling OSX on nonmac computers. I think it is time to branch out some topics here and bring this thread back to its origin...

@badeavasile

@maxxintosh

hey ,.. I am American (5'10''& 240 lbs.) and, I will beat the {censored} out of any skinny-ass Euro-pussy.......quickly and, easily ......why must you guys be such haters?

You wanker.. Think your tuff do ya.. you would get shanked mate talking like that round where i live.

I don't wanna be hasty, but you speak like you lived in communism... Well, I did! I doubt capitalism is ok as as doubt communism was... :( But this is certainly out of the topic... pls read my back posts...

man i m not supporting any of ideology in my post, i m telling you why things are as it is now? cause and effect sort of... i dont live and never lived in a communist country... i dont have to be in a communist country to tell you these, also capitalism is an socia-economic system where as communism is a regime system. china is a communist-higher-rate governed country with capitalistic system... well whatever...

what i was saying was it was not china to blame for all these but all the combined factors, as demand, ego, greed, etc etc... usa was one example, as it is the biggest consumer economy in the world... and they are the ones who started making china so big, and exploit these issues... see for example, apple? do you think they would be able to be profitable still if they were manufacturing in usa? they wouldnt even stand a chance... the reason they are able to compete is relying on all these far-east cheap labor which returns higher profit margins... psystar is a result of apple's greed and pride, if not psystar, it is going to be something else, psystar is not the first of its kind, and wont be the last, in fact as u may or may not know, steve jobs is one of the first to hack att systems and sell devices based on hacking, to make some money... they become big fish now, in this capitalistic system, now what comes around goes around... and like i said, the whole thing is car-driver issue, it depends on the drivers skills and will on how to / where to drive....

About owning a real Mac (or not), I am an operating systems geek (also a hardware geek, meaning that I'd always like to have the latest and greatest), but I don't care about the "whole Mac experience", I just wanted to try OS X.

I liked it, of course, but in the end I decided that Linux suits my needs better, with its flexibility.

Now imagine if I had spent a lot of money in order to buy a Real Mac (here in Europe Mac hardware costs twice as much as "beige" hardware) only to find out that I didn't even like it that much.

If this video from Gizmodo is true, then Psystar seems to use

Gigabyte G31M-S2L motherboard with BIOS version F3

This guy Patrick won't get more than 2 channel audio out. Does this motherboard do Sleep/Wake, Restart, and Shutdown without a problem?

P.S. Psystar forgot to turn on SMART capability of their Hitachi SATA HDD. What a shame.

P.P.S. IMHO, Dell monitor, keyboard, and mouse look really ugly, :hysterical:

Psystar claims openmac uses gma950. G31M-S2L has another IGP.
Notice where the video cable comes out. I think that this guy chose as an upgrade option nVidia 8600GT instead of using onboard Intel GMA 950, which is not on G31M-S2L. From the booting screen, it's obvious (at least to me) that the motherboard uses G31 chipset. (The processor also shows Intel E6750 and the memory posts 4GB. The video shows another PCI card on the back side, which is probably a FireWire card. I think this guy chose full upgrade options except FireWire and HDD, which shows 250GB.)

My conclusion is either the video clip is a hoax by Patrick, or Psystar uses G31M-S2L for Open Computer when nVidia 8600GT option is chosen (and Patrick spent at least 880 830 USD, which is too much for the specs). If this video is true, I bet Psystar uses Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C or Gigabyte 945GM-S2 for default video option Intel GMA 950.

>... You act like since the Intel switch alone created more Mac users. People would be buying Macs regardless of the architecture under the hood.

I disagree. The switch to Intel has intrigued and persuaded a lot of non-mac users to make the switch, not only because it eliminated the "which is the better processor" argument (PPC vs Intel, i.e., VHS vs. beta), but because it easily allows Windows to be run on a Mac. More people are prone to switch because they feel they can have the best of both worlds now. What also helps is that OS X is Un*x based - stable platform, familiar to many who are CS students/IT geeks. Adding in Vista's apparent failure, Mac has become a better choice for personal computing.

There is still a lot of software that does not have a viable Mac equivalent. Being able to run these programs in parallels or bootcamp eases the pain of switching platforms. If Apple would make more affordable hardware, it would become a no-brainer for most consumers.

There is still a lot of software that does not have a viable Mac equivalent. Being able to run these programs in parallels or bootcamp eases the pain of switching platforms.

That was one of the deciding factors when a friend of mine made a switch. He wanted to be able to run certain PC only programs on his machine. I set up Parallels with windows XP for him to run his programs... although rarely uses them. He definitely got more use out of AOL though, and he loves his mac. ^_^

But having the ability to run Windows programs well definitely makes the difference for some people.

lol, i think this is why apple hasn't made a comment yet, they are still waitin' for their psystar openpcpro (or whatever it is called) to arrive.

by Redwraithvienna at 02:47 AM

Reply by Email

@lordargent:

You pay for a Leopard copy so that it looks legit, but they are still using the OSx86 project.

Thats also the reason why you cant do your own reinstall of the system.

And i bet that Apple is just now waiting until they get their machine and then sue the hell out of those guys for exactly this.

http://gizmodo.com/384526/exclusive-video-...tar-in-the-wild

It's funny. According to this picture from Gizmodo, the video memory is 512MB. The nVidia 8600GT upgrade option from Psystar is, however, 256MB. Is this report true or does Gizmodo do their usual (which is being a third rate rumor site)?

Psystar finally settled in. The sender's address on the box is the same as that on their website, which is

PsyStar Corporation

10475 NW 28th St

Doral, FL 33172

Since we have the correct address, someone get there and take a nice picture with Rodolfo and Roberto Pedraza already. Good job, you did it! You f :) ckers.

According to this picture, this guy Patrick is not a total noobie because he didn't mark off Serial Number in System Profiler (while he marked off his address in this picture, which means he's not stupid) but still chose to spend at least 830 USD for this Psystar Open Computer. Cannot help but wonder what his intention is. Really funny.

Anyhoo, GIGABYTE ROCKS! ;) (see my signature)

ASUS sucks! :wacko: --- from a long time ASUS user ;)

Ok, since I haven't been around I have some catching up to do:

I. Problems with PsyStar ...

.....a) They are drawing too much attention to the OSx86 community.

.....:D They are selling the system with the impression that OSX 10.5.x comes ready to install or preinstalled from that disk; but this is not the case, or as previously mentioned you could reinstall it yourself.

.....c) They are making money of other peoples work (as previously mentioned).

.....d) They are acting as a defacto OSX reseller without Apple's conscent.

II. What will Apple do?

.....a) Most likely, a cease and desist letter. I doubt very highly they will concern themselves too much. If need be, they could always change EFI a bit and copy protect that data, which would make an emulator reverse engineering and illegal (as long as they went to a proprietary EFI).

.....B) If they do decide to go after PsyStar, they will likely not stop there. They will want to quash the whole shooting match to prevent (as if) or slow the progress of Hackintosh proliferation.

III. Why not just release the OS for PC's?

.....a) As stated, they would have to support more hardware. This would lead to alot of time spent by Apple developers finding ways to make all these parts "play nice"

.....B) Apple certified parts. I like this idea. This could be a viable option. Only problem is it would likely be nVidia, ATI, and Intel that benefiet from this one.

.....c) Steve Jobs has already said its not just the mac or the OS, its the package. You are buying a computer with an operating system designed specifically to run on a hardware set it has been extensively tested on to ensure the most flawless operation possible. In addition, it keeps development costs down so that Apple can continue it's research into other TechnoGadgets.

.....d) It would hurt there image. Why do people want OSX? Becuase its reliable. If you branch it out, that reliability will fail also, and soon OSX won't be considered any better than Windows or perhaps Linux.

IV. My Hackintosh.

.....a) For the record, I own a Macbook 2.2ghz Core 2 system running legit OSX 10.5.2. I also purchased a 3 user version from the store for a Mac Mini and an old G3 iBook I used to have. When I sold those machines, I kept the OS. So, legally speaking I paid for my copy.

.....B) My system runs perfect, see my description for specs. No crashes, no freezes, no problems.

V. Why did I go Mac?

I used to be a major PC buff. I used to bash my brother for buying a mac (the iBook I later nbought). But then I bought his iBook, and feel in love with OSX. I later bought a G4 mini, and finally my Macbook. I love OSX. I think the platform and functionality are great. Hence why I went Hackintosh on my PC. If I could convert my wife I would. I still use PC's at work and home, but for the majority of my personal PC use, its on Macs.

My 2.2222222 cents

BTW, I don't hate China or Japan, I think we need to stop outsroucing to India! :P

III. Why not just release the OS for PC's?

.....c) Steve Jobs has already said its not just the mac or the OS, its the package. You are buying a computer with an operating system designed specifically to run on a hardware set it has been extensively tested on to ensure the most flawless operation possible. In addition, it keeps development costs down so that Apple can continue it's research into other TechnoGadgets.

.....d) It would hurt there image. Why do people want OSX? Becuase its reliable. If you branch it out, that reliability will fail also, and soon OSX won't be considered any better than Windows or perhaps Linux.

IV. My Hackintosh.

.....:) My system runs perfect, see my description for specs. No crashes, no freezes, no problems.

Aren't paragraphs III and IV quite a bit contradictory?

As to "soon OSX won't be considered any better than Windows or perhaps Linux", I personally enjoy Linux better. Only minus, it has even fewer commercial applications than OS X (but at the end of the day I miss only 2 or 3 Windows apps).

hi everyone...

you said that the mainboard is GA G31M-S2L

there is a problem with sound card (realtek alc 662) only output......or output with line-in and mic.....but then can't control master volume bar.....it's grey out...

so it's not 100% perfect.!!!

i've got this mainboard.......

Aren't paragraphs III and IV quite a bit contradictory?

As to "soon OSX won't be considered any better than Windows or perhaps Linux", I personally enjoy Linux better. Only minus, it has even fewer commercial applications than OS X (but at the end of the day I miss only 2 or 3 Windows apps).

Not really, my hardware set is very close to mac's now. It would be nice if they made it for PC's, but there is not much of a cost effective way to do it and maintain the image apple has.