Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

I hope a company like dell will back them with some funds, apple using open source code and trying to limit how its used to turn a huge profit by only allowing it to be used on there overpriced hardware is ridiculous. If Microsoft pulled thats stunt and suddenly forced people to buy a 2 grand med core pc to use their os the government would come down hard on them, and Microsoft code is closed source.

oh and about psystar trying to make a profit, I think as-long as the charge the market price for os x they wont be profiting from osx 86, now if they are charging a premium for leopard i think there out of line.

question.jpg

Psystar violated terms of merchant services agreement

The payment-processing merchant for Mac clone maker Psystar abruptly ended its relationship with the company Wednesday after it discovered what was for sale on Psystar's site.

Powerpay refused to process any more transactions for the Open Computer after learning what it was.

Powerpay had been the payment processor for Psystar's online store until Wednesday, when it yanked its services from Psystar's Web site. That move sent the store offline for several hours midday Wednesday, halting sales of Psystar's Open Computer, which comes preinstalled with Mac OS X Leopard in violation of Apple's licensing agreement for its operating system.

Psystar posted a statement on its Web site Thursday explaining the downtime. "Midday yesterday our store was not receiving any orders. This was due to the fact that our merchant gateway, Powerpay, dropped the ball on us and refused to process any more transactions from our company."

Louisa Deluca, vice president of loss prevention for Powerpay, said on Thursday that her company dropped Psystar because it violated the terms of its agreement with Powerpay. She declined to cite specific violations, but said "there are plenty of reasons why we shut the account off. We did not know that's what he was selling, we learned that yesterday."

Psystar has since switched merchant services providers to PayPal, who processed my transaction with the company on Wednesday. A PayPal representative did not immediately return a call seeking comment on that company's policies regarding sales of goods such as the Open Computer.

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9921271-37.html?tag=newsmap

EULA is not working everywhere

E.g. in germany, post-sales restrictions (like EULA) is not valid, so hackintosh is pretty legal in germany/

So, have you had any words with Psystar yet? I read that they wanted to chat with you.

So, have you had any words with Psystar yet? I read that they wanted to chat with you.

they wanne me work for them. but I'm not that crazy to work with such sh**y company.

frant... learn wordpress comments moderation system and stop crying about comments.

The base model is an overpriced cobbled together piece of rubbish. I looked around a bit and I'm almost certain I've determined its major components. I'm sure they're turning a very healthy profit margin most likely equal to apples mark up. Anyone can make their own "openMac" for much less.

Case is an Asus TM-211: $50 with a crappy 300W power supply

Motherboard is, I'm nearly certain, the ASRock ConRoe1333-D667: $30, The position of the PS/2 ports gives it away in my opinion.

CPU is E4500 ($120 retail)

As for the rest; just assume any cheap DDR2(>$30), cheap compatible DVD burner(>$30), and some random 250GB HDD($50?). The scary thing is the cheap 300W power supply. They offer video upgrades at inflated prices and that power supply is underrated even for the 8600GT. I'd imagine the 8800GT would blow that thing unless they're nice enough to upgrade the power supply, which I seriously doubt. It doesn't even have SATA power connectors. Many cut corners for how much they're charging for nearly obsolete hardware, especially since they're getting this stuff at wholesale which I'm sure is less than the retail quotes I came up with.

i was wonderin' what parts they were usin'.

i wrote facts there :unsure: you censored me. ppl saw that but as you wrote i have nothing to talk about with you

EDIT: don't get me wrong i really appreciate what you made of pc efi but that's all from now

U r really stupid as i can see.

all comments from unregistered users don't appear immideatly

it's all in moderation section of wordpress, i have like 50 comments per day now

and approve or don't them all is not easy.

so stfu and be more smart plz.

pls i won't fight with a person that has so much respect in the community :unsure: what was i thinking about? so if i can ask you pls let it be oh and one more thing

i think dave null agreed with me :)

post-96681-1208467832_thumb.jpg

because there was something else on #9. not this

post-96681-1208467888_thumb.jpg

and that's really really all from me i swear

PsyStar saga Day 3: Mac clone maker, payment processor trade charges

The company, changing address yet again, says middleman dropped the ball

PsyStar, however, answered the phone. When asked to comment on PowerPay's denial of its "dropping the ball" charge, a woman who would only identify herself as "Maria" at first said "We won't be commenting on that, or on a lot of things."

After a short hold, however, Maria came back on the line and said PsyStar had been told only that it had jumped the transaction allowance when PowerPay pulled the plug.

"Yes we did violate the agreement, we exceeded the [transaction] limits of our account, Maria said. "We exceeded in one day what we were supposed to have for the entire year."

PowerPay did not offer to up the limit, she said. "We have attorneys on this."

Apparently, transaction volume had another part to play in the drama, however. "They said they closed our account to investigate claims of fraud," Maria continued, "but it was all about us going to exceed our limit. That's why they closed our account."

Payment and transaction providers use jealously-guarded methods of determining fraud, but one criteria that will trigger alerts is a sudden jump in transaction volume. "We told them we are a registered business in this city," Maria said, but the plea apparently fell on deaf ears.

PsyStar also tried today to explain its shifting mailing address in the Web site statement. The company now lists its location as 10475 NW 28th St., Doral, Fla.; that address is the fourth used on the site since Monday.

"We're in the process of moving to a new location," said the company. "The first new address posted (10481) was in error and our correct address is 10475 NW 28th Street."

PsyStar has listed, in chronological order, a residential address, 10645 SW 112 St., and two commercial addresses, 10481 NW 28th St. and 10471 NW 28th St., so far this week.

According to a reverse look-up using WhitePages.com, two businesses are at PsyStar's newest address: Vipal Rubber Corp. and a firm called Stop Mold Dry. When contacted, Vipal said it had moved to another location -- an additional search found it at a new locale -- but the phone number for Stop Mold Dry gave only a rapid-busy signal.

For its part, PsyStar claimed it has simply been overwhelmed. "[We were] not ready to handle the enormous production capacity demanded by the online community," the company said on its site. "Due to the incredible response, we have now expanded to a larger commercial unit to handle the supplies and assembly of Open Computers."

PsyStar's toll number, which was disconnected Wednesday, was back in operation today.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...mp;pageNumber=2

WTH

From Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/psystar-o...apple,5205.html

«Engadget attempted to ask Psystar about its involvement with OSx86 Project and determined that Psystar did not get permission from developers working on the OSx86 Project to sell their work. Netkas, the company who developed the EFI emulator Psystar is using, dubbed the Psystar crowd “liars” in a blog entry and told Engadget that not only did they contact Psystar when they heard about OpenMac but the Mac cloning company never got back to them. We also asked Pedraza if he knew about the OSx86 Project, and he said "of course." But Pedraza said that there’s a misunderstanding with the folks behind OSx86 Project. Pedraza said that "Psystar’s lawyers are in discussion with OSx86, otherwise we can’t comment."»

Now Netkas is a company :) , before he was the a dev of OSx86Project :)

Here is a fun game:

(1) Call up your Apple Store (1-800-MY-APPLE in the USA) and tell the you want the new OpenMac that everyone is talking about on the Internet (they will google for it).

(2) Once they figure out what is going on, ask them how the $399 OpenMac compares with the Mac Mini in terms of expandability.

(3) Then ask them for a regular single-socket mid-tower computer like Dell offers.

(4) When they pitch the Mac Pro, tell them you don't need a dual Xeon professional workstation, just a normal mid-tower computer.

(5) Then ask to buy a copy of OSx86 (with Netkas' PC EFI V8 of course - just kidding) so you can just build a normal computer yourself, since Apple doesn't offer one.

Their heads start spinning. :)

The Apple rep. I just spoke with told me that Steve Jobs is such a "tight ass" (his words) with controlling OS X that Apple technicians are only allowed to carry one genuine Mac EFI motherboard at a time (so they don't leak to the public).

This brings me to the real issue: WHERE IS APPLE LEGAL?

Are people actually ordering these things? How many have been ordered? What is Apple's stance on all this?

The Apple rep. I just spoke with told me that Steve Jobs is such a "tight ass" (his words) with controlling OS X that Apple technicians are only allowed to carry one genuine Mac EFI motherboard at a time (so they don't leak to the public).

...and last time I heard Apple wants about 1K for them...

What is Apple's stance on all this?

Exactly, where is Apple Legal? They should have at least wrote a nasty Cease & Desist letter to Psystar by now and so far Apple has had "no comment" on the matter officially.

For my next prank call, I think I will Psystar and tell them that I am Apple Legal. It should work... that is, if I am not too late. :)

Here is a fun game:

(1) Call up your Apple Store (1-800-MY-APPLE in the USA) and tell the you want the new OpenMac that everyone is talking about on the Internet (they will google for it).

(2) Once they figure out what is going on, ask them how the $399 OpenMac compares with the Mac Mini in terms of expandability.

(3) Then ask them for a regular single-socket mid-tower computer like Dell offers.

(4) When they pitch the Mac Pro, tell them you don't need a dual Xeon professional workstation, just a normal mid-tower computer.

(5) Then ask to buy a copy of OSx86 (with Netkas' PC EFI V8 of course - just kidding) so you can just build a normal computer yourself, since Apple doesn't offer one.

Their heads start spinning. :)

This brings me to the real issue: WHERE IS APPLE LEGAL?

i'll call i'll call. but i do need a mac pro so i need to think of something to say when they pitch me the mac pro. maybe i could ask for a mac pro with an intel (penryn) wolfdale e8400 dual core processor instead. oops, i think that's the same thing as the MMMM (Mythical Midrange Mac Minitower) aka mid tower that you mentioned.

Exactly, where is Apple Legal? They should have at least wrote a nasty Cease & Desist letter to Psystar by now and so far Apple has had "no comment" on the matter officially.

For my next prank call, I think I will Psystar and tell them that I am Apple Legal. It should work... that is, if I am not too late. hysterical.gif

lol. we should all write our own cease and desist letters and sign them as "Apple", the brave could sign theirs as "Steve Jobs". could we get in trouble for impersonatin' apple tho'? i'm not tryin' to get sued along with psystar...

nobody wanna buy my stocks ?

That's sad, i'm going bankruptcy

i assume that you'll be the ceo/president. how many stocks do we need to buy in order to win a seat on your board of directors???

i can see it now, everybody applies for $300,000-500,000 jobs at major corporations usin' netkas as a reference.

interviewer: do you have experience as a ceo?

me: yes, i've been on the board of directors of netkas for 5 years now and i can help this company triple their stock price in just 6 months...

*Bond organizes a hostile takeover of Netkas...muahahaha*

I'm assuming they still haven't gotten back to you, Netkas? Also, have you tried their number, which apparently works now?

He posted above that they offered him a job. :P