Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

Well, I just realized that I am still enjoying this situation, in a different point of view.

It's quite funny to watch what these clowns are doing: changing business addresses, asking an interviewer to make Netkas call them, changing their FAQs whenever someone complains something, promising to give a press release, etc.

They never changed their phone number though. (Maybe the phone company doesn't work so quickly.) Maybe they think that they still can take orders from more people. And I bet there are some people calling them.

It's sad, really.

Another thought: The professionalism of AppleInsider, MacRumor, Engadget, Gizmodo, etc. are not even close to that of The Guardian, as expected.

does psystar keep stealin' other businesses' addresses?

they claim to be at 10475 NW 28th St

Miami, FL 33172

http://www.psystar.com/contact.html

but google shows that vipal rubber corp. belongs to that address.

http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/comp...company=1124419

http://www.streetperformance.com/index.htm...edlisting=22281

Reading through this thread I'm amazed at some people's thoughts. Anyone who thinks this is a GOOD thing has no idea what they are talking about.

1.) Psystar will NEVER win the case, even if they had unlimited financial resources. It's clearly ILLEGAL what they are doing and is ethically wrong - they are advertising and selling the computers to make a profit from APPLE's software, that is their selling point.

2.) They stole Netkas' work and are profitting from his and other people's drivers and even community support here while doing nothing on their own, except taking profit for something they did not do.

3.) This company is a disgrace; this takes no talent. I could set this up - any of you could! Buy parts from newegg, assemble with some friends in the garage, and tell them to come to InsanelyMac for support? This is intolerable!

4.) This will NOT be good for osx86 community in any way. Anyone who thinks this is going to get "change" for Apple opening up their software or will somehow help this community is completely uneducated - the best case scenario is that osx86 will be unaffected and left alone.

Look what I found: Link

He/She makes some nice points.

I wonder how long it is before it gets deleted....

Hi,

OSx86 is the general name for Mac OS X on x86 (Whitebox PC) hardware.

It is the result of Hackers such as Netkas (http://netkas.org), amongst many other developers such as members of ToH (Team of Hackintosh) - an "elite" Mac hacking group that have resulted in the creation, or extension of things such as PC_EFI, Hacked Mac OS X kernels, dsmos.kext amongst other decryption kexts, etc.

The way it [currently] works, is:

1. The EFI Emulator (PC_EFI v8 by Netkas in this case) is installed on the target computer, after the hard drive is formatted either using the GPT or MBR partition Scheme. This emulates a very limited amount of functionality that would be found on a real Mac - Netkas did not give permission for this, and has actually re-released his work under a license forbidding commercial use of it.

2. The Retail Mac OS X install DVDs are patched, to include various hacked files, such as dsmos.kext (the currently used Mac OS X decryption kext - which is a direct result of reversing "Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext" - hence breaking the DCMA. And also including many drivers know as kexts (Kernel EXTensions)

3. "Open Mac" is simply a compilation of all the above, they have not added anything, infact I am sure all they are doing is using hardware that anyone can confirm works, simply by looking at the OSx86 Hardware Compatibility List - here.

4. The authors of the above software such as the EFI Emulator, Kernels, Extensions etc. have NOT given permission to Psystar to use their works for a commercial basis - the whole point in OSx86 is that it is a small community, that allows people to be educated further about Mac and its use.

At the end of the day, if you buy these systems, you are buying an illegal compilation of work stolen from others - all Psystar are doing is providing the hardware and most likely using on of the readily available Mac OS X install DVDs available on Bittorrent etc.

I hope everyone gets to read this post before Psystar deletes it.

With Regards,

An Ex-OSx86 Contributor.

~mac.nub

all I can say is , the quiker APPLE, YOURSELVES, and PYREX or whatever its called, needs to colaberate, this is a great oppertunity for

a: for apple to make some more money, get a larger share of the OS market

b: to reduce microsofts hold on the OS market, by giving ppl some real choices again

c: everyone can make alot of cash here please dont bicker over who didnt ask who, blah blah, ask for your cut x86 especially if they r selling ur bios

I think its great, i have been pleading apple for years to release the OS to everyone , at least M/soft will be forced to make decent OS again.

please work it out guys so everyone gets a say in what OS they want

all I can say is , the quiker APPLE, YOURSELVES, and PYREX or whatever its called, needs to colaberate, this is a great oppertunity for

a: for apple to make some more money, get a larger share of the OS market

b: to reduce microsofts hold on the OS market, by giving ppl some real choices again

c: everyone can make alot of cash here please dont bicker over who didnt ask who, blah blah, ask for your cut x86 especially if they r selling ur bios

I think its great, i have been pleading apple for years to release the OS to everyone , at least M/soft will be forced to make decent OS again.

please work it out guys so everyone gets a say in what OS they want

The fact is, Apple has tried this (selling their OS to the general public) in the past, and it almost bankrupt them. They're not going to be doing it again anytime soon.

People have the choice to use decent OS' - you can Use Linux, Mac OSx86, and Mac OS X.

My MBP is the best laptop I have ever used... i've not had a single problem, kernel panic or crash with it.

When you buy a Mac, you pay for the quality and the brand name, not just one or the other.

~mac.nub

Although I have a clear position on this - I am disgusted - the (simpleton) devil's advocate might say psystar stole from the thief...

However what gets me is that they leech off of someone else's B,S&T who never had any commercial interest. The thing that seriously disgusts me is that it's once again the underdogs who are at the very end of the list. It might 'hurt' - or should I say unpleasantly tickle - Apple a tiny bit but certainly not drive them into bankruptcy any time soon.

Speaking as a musician, this feels like some uncreative wankers nicking your musical ideas and selling them as theirs. :)

FWIW, I stopped payment on my credit card to Psystar yesterday (they had not drawn the funds yet), so we'll see if anyone else gets one.

If anything good has come from this experience, I now find myself with an express interest in this community and what you guys/gals have accomplished.

Having never delved into 86 before, I'm pretty impressed. :)

Edit: New information from Psystar's website:

http://www.psystar.com/updates.html

FWIW, I stopped payment on my credit card to Psystar yesterday (they had not drawn the funds yet), so we'll see if anyone else gets one.

If anything good has come from this experience, I now find myself with an express interest in this community and what you guys/gals have accomplished.

Having never delved into 86 before, I'm pretty impressed. :help:

Edit: New information from Psystar's website:

http://www.psystar.com/updates.html

dumbasses. instead of changin' their address 50 million times they should have rented a p.o. box to use as their business address, it only cost $20 for 6 months.

would YOU trust a company that has had 4 different addresses in 2 days???

i support hackers (i own a hacked/region free dvd player so that i can play/buy import dvds) but i have to agree with cnet on this one.

"Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the author of software that is designed to violate a company's licensing agreement is annoyed that another company is using that software in violation of his own licensing agreement?"

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9920436-37.html?tag=newsmap

if a drug dealer gets rob by another drug dealer, does he call the police and report to them thay his illegal drugs were stolen from him???

12 day build time???? Geez what are they doing snoozing??? Dont most pros make a disk image of their install....

Shouldn't be an issue for these PROFESSIONALS at PsychStar. LOL. After all, they only have 2 systems. LOL.

Guess with Larger facilities they didnt add employees. Oh yeah, that would hurt their bottom line. Then their Open COmputers would price more like Mac's

Hmmm Interesting..... Guess they should build em in China and ship em back to the states like every other corporate Hedgemony..

i support hackers (i own a hacked/region free dvd player so that i can play/buy import dvds) but i have to agree with cnet on this one.

"Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the author of software that is designed to violate a company's licensing agreement is annoyed that another company is using that software in violation of his own licensing agreement?"

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9920436-37.html?tag=newsmap

if a drug dealer gets rob by another drug dealer, does he call the police and report to them thay his illegal drugs were stolen from him???

I think that Netkas has every right to defend his work from misappropriation.

Furthermore, he has a valid complaint. Under the Psystar scheme, Apple gets paid but Netkas does not.

Moreover, it is being assumed that Netkas' years of EFI software development is somehow limited to OSx86 utility. While this might be the case now, it may not be in the furture.

Finally, although CNET might not appreciate the handful of talented people like Netkas who work long hours to make OSx86 an evermore successful platform, you will find that this community treats them with a great deal of respect.

This is true. But Netkas said his software is for non-commercial use only.

Thats the difference. And buying a license (what I did) will not harm Apple. We should make clear that we are not pirates.

This community is with apple not against them.

And many of us own Apple products or will through this forum.

OSX is great. I had Tiger installed on my PC an it never crashed. Even Rosetta worked and I have a AMD;) Xp crashed 5 times I had both Os´s on.

So, if a HACKED OSX is more reliable than XP out of the box, what you would do?

I`ll support Apple. I am part of the Mac Osx (86) community.

This OS will make it´s way to the average PC, and his Steveness won´t regret it.

And I buy Apple´s products.

Regards

Thats the difference. And buying a license (what I did) will not harm Apple. We should make clear that we are not pirates.

This community is with apple not against them.

I don't agree with you at all.

what we are doing here could violate the terms and agreement of apple software

You are running an apple os on a non apple machine which is forbidden by apple EULA

Apple is aware of osx86 and it is not targeting the community so far. Actually i ve never heard someone at apple talking about osx86

But now there is a problem with PSYCRAP who is gonna profit of all the work everybody contributed to.

Obviously we are future customers for apple I dream to have an apple mac pro or a macbook pro and i m willing to buy one for the sake of startup sound :)

and maybe that's why cupertino didnt target us yet. I think it is a matter of time if PSY{censored} will continue to ignore our demand to stop using netkas EFI.

I think that Netkas has every right to defend his work from misappropriation.

Furthermore, he has a valid complaint. Under the Psystar scheme, Apple gets paid but Netkas does not.

Moreover, it is being assumed that Netkas' years of EFI software development is somehow limited to OSx86 utility. While this might be the case now, it may not be in the furture.

Finally, although CNET might not appreciate the handful of talented people like Netkas who work long hours to make OSx86 an evermore successful platform, you will find that this community treats them with a great deal of respect.

I don't agree with you at all.

what we are doing here could violate the terms and agreement of apple software

You are running an apple os on a non apple machine which is forbidden by apple EULA

Apple is aware of osx86 and it is not targeting the community so far. Actually i ve never heard someone at apple talking about osx86

But now there is a problem with PSYCRAP who is gonna profit of all the work everybody contributed to.

Obviously we are future customers for apple I dream to have an apple mac pro or a macbook pro and i m willing to buy one for the sake of startup sound smile.gif

and maybe that's why cupertino didnt target us yet. I think it is a matter of time if PSY{censored} will continue to ignore our demand to stop using netkas EFI.

i agree with nils82. while i respect netkas for his work, he can easily build a pc with a legit copy of windows (i'm not supportin' the sale of hackintoshes) and make money. also, netkas can write other software that does whatever it is that he want it to do and that doesn't violate other companies eulas, sell it to others and make money. i think netkas isn't sellin' his "hackintosh software" for a reason. his isn't makin' money from any of psystar's sales but he isn't losin' money either. he would have to sell his "hackintosh software", have psystar not pay for his software and then have psystar sell hackintosh's in order for him to lose money. yea, he isn't gettin' royalties from psystar but he isn't gettin' any cash flow from anybody else with hackintoshes (unless you personally donated money to netkas already, then you are excluded from this previous statement).

yea, i would rather have a mac pro too. i'm willin' to buy keyboards that cost $3000 so why should i complain about a mac pro that costs $3000. a mac pro isn't for everybody so i support this hobby of buildin' your own hackintosh. troubleshootin' a hackintosh and not havin' every function in a software work will just cost me time and energy. that same time and energy can be used makin' beats. not everybody has the same wants and desires so i can't recommend a mac pro for everyday tasks when i hackintosh will do.

Well, would be nice to actually see one of those Psystar pro machines running the Leopard and a few PS/finalcut/Logic tests....

Any dissection pictures available yet?

Being back to square one myself, whether or not I give Psystar a chance later or build one myself, this is what I'll be doing (and to Kalyway as well).

(unless you persoally donated money to netkas already, then you are excluded from this previous statement).

The base model is an overpriced cobbled together piece of rubbish. I looked around a bit and I'm almost certain I've determined its major components. I'm sure they're turning a very healthy profit margin most likely equal to apples mark up. Anyone can make their own "openMac" for much less.

Case is an Asus TM-211: $50 with a crappy 300W power supply

Motherboard is, I'm nearly certain, the ASRock ConRoe1333-D667: $30, The position of the PS/2 ports gives it away in my opinion.

CPU is E4500 ($120 retail)

As for the rest; just assume any cheap DDR2(>$30), cheap compatible DVD burner(>$30), and some random 250GB HDD($50?). The scary thing is the cheap 300W power supply. They offer video upgrades at inflated prices and that power supply is underrated even for the 8600GT. I'd imagine the 8800GT would blow that thing unless they're nice enough to upgrade the power supply, which I seriously doubt. It doesn't even have SATA power connectors. Many cut corners for how much they're charging for nearly obsolete hardware, especially since they're getting this stuff at wholesale which I'm sure is less than the retail quotes I came up with.

From Netkas' site:

PC EFI is a technology to run Mac OS X on any pc with close to macs specs, without any modifications to osx kernel.

Is it legal ?

Yes, it’s legal to have this files, because it’s built from sources apple provided, before apsl2 was changed a year ago.

http://netkas.org/?page_id=21

Now i am not saying installing OSX is legal or not, or WHERE you get the OSX that is patched for x86 or even the clause that you cannot install OSX on any non-Apple branded computers

but PC EFI itself, is legal.

but regardless, PYSH1T shouldn't make profit from Other people's hard work and ruin the community for everyone if Apple decides to do something about it.

Don't take OSX86 for granted. Just because OSX runs on intel doesn't mean that everyone on x86 architecture is given the RIGHT to run OSX.

Running OSX on PCs is a plus, not a given. So we shouldn't tell what the company does with their stuff, if they want to run it on PCs then they can

but think about the reliability issue. Look at this forum. It will be the day when people stop asking questions why their hardware doesn't work.

Everyone say OSX should be released to PCs, yeah.... welcome to the world of Windows.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but people even bash Leopard for its "Windowsness" when it was first released. So if Apple don't want to release the OS to other PC users, its ultimately their choice. Personally I don't want OSX to be like Vista.

When Apple sells branded computers, they just work. They may be expensive but they are reliable, and as I was saying, I can do sound recording, video editing, creating web pages, and alot of things that you can imagine when I open the lid of the computer.

Tom's Hardware posted an article about Psystar.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/psystar-openmac-apple,5205.html

In it they actually spoke to Rudy Pedraza, President of Psystar. TH questioned Pedraza about whether he knew about the OSx86 Project, which he said "of course". Pedraza stated that there’s a misunderstanding with the folks behind OSx86 Project. Pedraza said that "Psystar’s lawyers are in discussion with OSx86, otherwise we can’t comment."

TH also referred to Netkas (incorrectly, I assume) as the company who developed the EFI emulator. Gee, a company with one employee. Hey Netkas, can I buy stock in your company? :)

I would like to thank Netkas for his hard work and dedication to the OSx86 Project, along with the others, who have made it possible for someone with no programing skills whatsoever to enjoy this outstanding OS.

Keep up the great work!

Thats the difference.

I think the issue of Netkas objecting to commercial use of his EFI software is an important point.

Not only could Netkas have moral objections to the commercialization of OSx86, whereas people like Psystar who do so could be seen as stealing from Apple (or the OSx86 community), but he also could be wary of some kind of liability.

I sure wouldn't want to be dragged into a Russian court of law for any reason, Americans courts are bad enough for me.