Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

hey .... this guy rudy pedraza or ''psystar'' is most definitly a member of this forum/website.........there is a rat among us....

he has also responded to my email ( i wrote psystar to inquire about whether or not his rig can sleep/wake/s3 ) ........ it was some sort of automatic response that just dodged my question..... im gonna call tomorrow

EDIT... i did not even click the link above .... i guess the open hack can NOT sleep/wake!!!!

poor loser...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1489822

someone post this in psystars forums...I don't feel like I'm worthy to "register" to such an awesome company <;>

lol, that is roflmao.

openmac_user

My "Open Mac" won't wake from sleep!

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 4:15 PM

Hi, I am new to Mac. I really love how smooth everything flows...and when I saw the control panel for the 1st time I almost cried! after all these years, finally some sanity to configuring my computer! the only thing is that I tried to use sleep and it doesn't wake...it slips into a flat-line comma! I really love Leopard, and it's so refreshing to see that not everything in the world has to incessantly break...just that one tiny issue with sleep and I'll be back into never-land!

So that said, any tips? How can I get it to work?

thx!

OpenPro Intel Core2 Quad Mac OS X (10.5.2) got it from Psystar!

adamb529

Re: My "Open Mac" won't wake from sleep!

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 5:28 PM in response to: openmac_user

Unfortunately, your system is unsupported, so looking here for answers is not going to help much. I think that the sleep function just might not work with a "Hackintosh." Apple support won't help you with the issue. Maybe the motherboard is incompatible with OS X sleep. Again, you went out on a limb to purchase an unsupported system, and there might not be a solution to your problem

iMac 20": 2.16 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive Mac OS X (10.5.2) iPod 5G 30GB (White), My Book Premium Edition 500GB

maybe now apple will make a statement, send a cease or desist, file a lawsuit.

yea, i don't feel like registerin' on psystar's forum's either...

it seems that psystar isn't the only sellin' hackintoshes...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...G=Google+Search

Lets be frank, very few people would buy a computer from this company.There isnt any benefit in buying these rigs since they have the same update issues as any other hackintosh, so you would still need to know all the technical info on how to perform updates and you might as well just install leopard yourself if its gonna be that much maintenance. Im just happy a company is standing up against apple.

We are gonna keep rehashing, but I too wonder what change would do...steve's level headed, but he needs to get a little more "ballsy" in a way and jump out there...back in the day when he tried to release os x to the user...there wasn't Insanelymac like there is today. heck apple could -in theory- hire some our founders/prodigies/Gurus/Netkas's/etc... and even pay for/handle our hosting and have us run support for them...at least for a while.

Lets be frank, very few people would buy a computer from this company.

I think you're wrong. I think now you are going to have a slew of people that are buying them because they are cheaper than a mini but don't realize what they are buying. I think Apple might just let this company put it's own foot in it's mouth. When it comes down to it they are selling something that doesn't even work 100% like a real Mac. The problem for Apple in this case is that at that price point you are going to have a lot of people buying to try for the first time and are going to end up hating Apple and/or Mac OS. A lot of people don't understand they can't update unless they know what they're doing and if they do try it's doubtful they will even be able to reinstall the OS, or that it won't have 100 funtionalitly; these people lack the skill to build a computer themselves anyway because if they could do it themselves they would have already. So now you have an Apple PR problem. This company will do more harm than good for Apple.

All Apple needs to do is bring back the Cube. The G4 Cube was a great middle ground between the iMac and the Powermac. Something for those who wanted a relatively small desktop with some upgrade potential. The problem was that it was too expensive at the time but the idea is awesome. It's basically what the Mini is minus upgradeability. Given the rising price too of the mini they are pushing buyers away. How is it that the components are getting cheaper and cheaper, yet the Mini is more expensive than ever? The G4 mini was cheaper and the G4 chips were expensive..

Exactly, where is Apple Legal? They should have at least wrote a nasty Cease & Desist letter to Psystar by now and so far Apple has had "no comment" on the matter officially.

For my next prank call, I think I will Psystar and tell them that I am Apple Legal. It should work... that is, if I am not too late. :hysterical:

Maybe that's why Psystar keeps changing their address. You have to find them to serve them with legal papers.

On a different subject. Everyone needs to remember that Apple makes the hardware and software for their systems. OK, the computers are made in China and the software is based on BSD, but I digress. Because Apple controls the hardware and software, Macs just work (Usually, but I digress again). Apple only has to write software and drivers that work with their systems; there is more integration and less likelyhood of software conflicts. Microsoft, along with hardware vendors, has to write software that works on several processors (Intel, AMD, Via), motherboards, BIOSs, video cards, sound cards, and other chips, and everything has to play together nicely, or BSOD. Apple only has a handful of each to write for.

We should all remember that because Apple uses a UNIX like OS, and is open sourced, programmers like the ones we have on this forum have the *nix background to rewrite the software to work on non-Apple hardware. Some of you on the forum remember when OSX first came out for the Intel processor. If fact it was leaked onto the internet the next day. People were trying to get it to run on non-Apple computers. First in VMWare, then on hardware almost identical to a Mac, then on nonspec Apple hardware, and finally EFI was cracked, opening the doors.

Second, I would like to speak to the posters on this forum who keep bellyaching that Apple should make this; Apple should make that; Apple should make OSX run on a 286; Apple should.............ARRGH!

JUST QUITE YUR BITCHIN!!!!

Apple is a company, and a company is suppose to make MONEY, and right now they seem to be doing that very well right now. Steve Jobs has a plan for where Apple needs to go, and if that doesn't include mid-priced computers with expandability, so be it. Get over it!

Finally.

Apple knows we are here. Apple probably has every ISO ever bittorrented and has dissected them. Apple could probably make it extremely difficult to install OSX on Hackintoshes, but don't.

Why would that be?

Maybe Apple is, indirectly, using OSx86 Project as a testbed for new software or hardware, spoonfeeding us for their amusement and pleasue (Any conspiracy theorists around here?) More than likely, its probably that Apple may see most people here as potential customers who will see how great Macs are and actually buy one.

OK, I'm getting off of my pulpit to pass the plate around. Please donate from your heart. ;)

Dan

I think you're wrong. I think now you are going to have a slew of people that are buying them because they are cheaper than a mini but don't realize what they are buying. I think Apple might just let this company put it's own foot in it's mouth. When it comes down to it they are selling something that doesn't even work 100% like a real Mac. The problem for Apple in this case is that at that price point you are going to have a lot of people buying to try for the first time and are going to end up hating Apple and/or Mac OS. A lot of people don't understand they can't update unless they know what they're doing and if they do try it's doubtful they will even be able to reinstall the OS, or that it won't have 100 funtionalitly; these people lack the skill to build a computer themselves anyway because if they could do it themselves they would have already. So now you have an Apple PR problem. This company will do more harm than good for Apple. All Apple needs to do is bring back the Cube. The G4 Cube was a great middle ground between the iMac and the Powermac. Something for those who wanted a relatively small desktop with some upgrade potential. The problem was that it was too expensive at the time but the idea is awesome. It's basically what the Mini is minus upgradeability. Given the rising price too of the mini they are pushing buyers away. How is it that the components are getting cheaper and cheaper, yet the Mini is more expensive than ever? The G4 mini was cheaper and the G4 chips were expensive..
sand

I've got 2 Cubes and 3 Mini's. The mini is a superior product and it is far more expandable. The Mini is not an expensive computer. Of course you can find less expensive products and you can assemble a PC for less. But you won't get the size, OS, silence and elegance of the Mini. The Mini has laptop components and so the hard drive/memory costs more. That will change as the future belongs to smaller and not larger drives and laptop memory has come down. You've got gigabit ethernet, wireless-G, Bluetooth, IR, USB, Firewire. How much more expandable do you need? Sure gamers want a better video solution but quite frankly the Mini is simply not for them. In fact gaming has never been very good on the Mac. You're better off with a games' console or PC for that. That leaves the whole issue of 1080p vs 1080i or 720p and these are really red herrings. Sure Blue Ray has finally become a standard but that is really new. Few people have large Blue Ray collections and it isn't even clear that physical distribution is the way to go for video. The Mini will probably be updated to include the Intel x3100 and that should take care of the 1080p issue. For what it's worth you can get 1080p now on the Mini, especially when using xbmc. The days of the mini-towers with slots are really over. There is a need for them in niche areas but if one is a professional video type the cost of a Mac Pro is a non-issue. Same goes for specialized music. The Cube was neat. But it's got too many wires, ports that are difficult to get at and it was very expensive (far more than the Mini).

ls

Apple just needs to make a Mac Mini Pro with a couple of PCIe Slots and a 3.5" HD. That will satisfy the majority of the whiners. LOL. Myself included.
Well, other than confusing the product line @_@, keep in mind that all but one computer they sell are locked enclosures. The idea is the same with their ipods - in a few years, you can repair that old iMac of your's, but why not just buy a brand new one that's faster and more powerful?

Apple's success lies in making incredible machines, but similar to an entertainer, always leaves their customers wanting more. They always hit just shy of a perfect product that satisfies everyone for one that will satisfy most. How much money would Apple make if they made a product that is fully customizable, upgradable, and easily repaired..... obviously not as much as they do now selling locked-spec systems that are replaced by loyal customers every few years.

WOOT

i'm company.

WOOT

who wanna buy my stocks ?

1$ per stock

lol

btw, to all haters telling me to get job and etc, i have job.

Heh...I'll take 100 shares :hysterical:

ls

Well, other than confusing the product line @_@, keep in mind that all but one computer they sell are locked enclosures. The idea is the same with their ipods - in a few years, you can repair that old iMac of your's, but why not just buy a brand new one that's faster and more powerful?

Apple's success lies in making incredible machines, but similar to an entertainer, always leaves their customers wanting more. They always hit just shy of a perfect product that satisfies everyone for one that will satisfy most. How much money would Apple make if they made a product that is fully customizable, upgradable, and easily repaired..... obviously not as much as they do now selling locked-spec systems that are replaced by loyal customers every few years.

Their decision to force me to spend $2300 or $2800 to utilize my PCI technology is a PITA...

Their decision to force me to spend $2300 or $2800 to utilize my PCI technology is a PITA...

sometimes it comes down to unpopular decisions.

steve: how many mid range towers with dual core processors that are expandable do we need sell in order to break even if we sell them for $1000?

some random apple employee: 45,000 units

^i'm makin' up numbers

steve: how many potential pc users are out there that may purchase this machine if we do make it?

some random apple employee: 18,589

^i'm still makin' up numbers

steve: ok, what if we sell it at $1500 instead? break even number please.

some random apple employee: 25,000 units

^yep, more made up numbers

steve: ok, how about $2000...

either they think that they can't turn a profit, they don't care about the people that want a mid range mac that is cheaper than the mac pro or they want everybody to buy a mini or imac instead.

i don't think it is the profit reason 'cause they refuse to give the ipod/iphone a user replacable battery even after all the complaints about it...

so long live the hackintosh until somebody smacks the shiet out of steve and makes him realize that their is a market that he is refusin' to tap (people love the ipod/iphone and they hate vista, this could be a good time to try to steal some market share) (long live the hackintosh even if they do release a new product line, hehehehe).

Paypal was contacted by some news makers after PSYCRAP chose to process their transaction through them but Paypal didnt dignify their request with a comment yet.

Apple is out of time for a statement i think...

I'm pessimistic, Apple would want to stop osx86 project if not it would be a big intrest conflict.

You have to read below the company's response (funny):

A Miami-based vendor that has ported Apple's Leopard operating system to generic PC hardware says Apple's restrictive licensing terms run counter to antitrust laws -- and it's vowing to fight.Psystar's OpenMac clone is priced at about $399 -- less than one-fifth of what a similar, Apple-branded system sells for. It also represents a direct violation of Apple's end-user license agreement, which forbids third-party installations of Leopard.But Psystar said Monday that the company believes Apple's terms violate U.S. monopoly laws. "What if Microsoft said you could only install Windows on Dell computers?" said a Psystar employee.The employee, who would only identify himself as Robert, said Apple grossly overcharges for the hardware on which its operating systems, including Leopard, come preinstalled. "They're charging an 80% markup on hardware," Robert said in a brief phone interview.He also said Psystar believes Apple's prohibition against third-party installations might not hold up in court: "What if Honda said that, after you buy their car, you could only drive it on the roads they said you could?" Robert said Psystar will continue to sell the OpenMac system, despite the fact that it appears to violate Apple's EULA. "We're not breaking any laws," he insisted.OpenMac features Leopard preinstalled atop a 2.2-GHz Intel Core Duo processor with an integrated Intel 950 graphics chip, 2 GB of DDR system memory, and a 250-GB storage drive. It also offers 4 USB ports and a 20x DVD+/-R drive.The legal questions do not appear to be stopping Mac fans from attempting to check out the clone. Psystar's Web site appeared to have crashed for a time Monday following news coverage of its OpenMac product.

apple does not care about osx86...... they make a sh!tload of $$ on hardware.... we are a minority...and my first hack rig was a $200 dell optiplex gx270 w/ uphuck 10.4.9...........right after that i spent $2000 (tax included ) on a macbook, $400 on an iphone and, $50 on a apple keyboard........apple knows that at least half of the osx86 community ends up buying something apple.....................

apple is not gonna sweat this psystar guy.............. and no one is gonna buy psystar's rig once it gets out that it doesn't sleep/wake....

Ok, I don't think anybody here will have a problem with apple destroying the osX86 community, neither psystar.

why because Apple simply does not care what you install leopard on. Apple is not worried.

If some idiot walks into an Apple store with an open computer to get repairs on it.

They just won't take care of you. that's the downfall of not having an actual Apple licensed product.

if you brake the license agreement by installing osx on a non apple product. You are Void in their eyes.

That is the benefit of having the quality product.

This came from an Apple retail store manager, and believe me Apple most definitely knows about x86 and psystar.

managers have to stay up to date with Apple headquarters, and everything involving rumors, and unlicensed product.

read your copyright laws people. its a big f@#$ing book!

LOL. Lets take it even further. There NEED to have a 4 core Xeon based machine is wack. Though I understand as there is NO other INTEL multi PROCESSOR chipset available. If Intel made a Dual processor Q series board then maybe we'd get some love. As it stands We are stuck with the Xeon fiasco.My frustration with Steve is that he could have built a 4 core LOW end Mac Pro for a better price point than $2300. After all they didn't include an empty Socket for an additional chip in that low end model. Had they included the additional Socket, I may have been convinced to shell out the $2300 knowing I could easily upgrade for a couple of bucks. Instead... They killed that market.They easily could have shaved $1000 off the price by doing a Q6600 chip based system.So my conclusion is to make a Mac Min Pro style unit. LOL. Headless, small and with 2-3 PCIe slots. COme On Apple. Help a loyal customer out... While I build my Hackintosh and run Digital Performer. LOL.

sometimes it comes down to unpopular decisions.steve: how many mid range towers with dual core processors that are expandable do we need sell in order to break even if we sell them for $1000?some random apple employee: 45,000 units^i'm makin' up numberssteve: how many potential pc users are out there that may purchase this machine if we do make it?some random apple employee: 18,589^i'm still makin' up numberssteve: ok, what if we sell it at $1500 instead? break even number please.some random apple employee: 25,000 units^yep, more made up numberssteve: ok, how about $2000...either they think that they can't turn a profit, they don't care about the people that want a mid range mac that is cheaper than the mac pro or they want everybody to buy a mini or imac instead.i don't think it is the profit reason 'cause they refuse to give the ipod/iphone a user replacable battery even after all the complaints about it...so long live the hackintosh until somebody smacks the shiet out of steve and makes him realize that their is a market that he is refusin' to tap (people love the ipod/iphone and they hate vista, this could be a good time to try to steal some market share) (long live the hackintosh even if they do release a new product line, hehehehe).
Ok, I don't think anybody here will have a problem with apple destroying the osX86 community, neither psystar.why because Apple simply does not care what you install leopard on. Apple is not worried.If some idiot walks into an Apple store with an open computer to get repairs on it.They just won't take care of you. that's the downfall of not having an actual Apple licensed product.if you brake the license agreement by installing osx on a non apple product. You are Void in their eyes.That is the benefit of having the quality product.This came from an Apple retail store manager, and believe me Apple most definitely knows about x86 and psystar.managers have to stay up to date with Apple headquarters, and everything involving rumors, and unlicensed product.read your copyright laws people. its a big f@#$ing book!
We certainly know they did this with iPhone. I wound up getting my phone bricked because they did an Over the air Baseband change. Went to the store and they had posted the new policy. You modify we say screw you. LOL.I re-virginized my phone, re-jailbroke it, etc.. and all was well. Bottom line, I bricked my phone by installing non apple approved software on it and I was left holding the bag to figure out how to fix it.I wasnt upset with Apple. Just wish that policy had been out before ipurchased it so i wouldnt have driven over an hour to the Apple store. LOL.

i've been reading through psystar forum and i don't understand ppl from osx86 community that register there to help ppl that want to buy their {censored}. i thought that it's psystar technicall support job. why to hell would i as IM member support Psystar?