Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

Maybe it's apples and oranges to some, but I think it's worth mentioning. Put your money where your mouth is, and give the site a few dollars to keep it running. They may need it if all this drama goes south.

Man I learned so much from this site, and after running hackintoshs, my whole family turned Apple. Genuine Leopard, Macbook Pros (x3), macbook, Airport Extreme, the list is endless...

And this is all because of OSX86, Netkas, and forums like IM

I never had any thought to donate to this site until now, although I understand where Apple is coming from in protecting its rights, companies (or fake ones) like pystar just ruin it for the rest of us. I hope Apple recongnize IM and the OSX86 project and it really does lead more people into Macs and buying their stuff, I know I did. And my MBP will run smoother than my Core 2 any day and I can trust it to be stable.

Yeah As terrancew_hod said, put your money where your mouth is. I've been using this site for so long now, its time to give some support

and to terrancew_hod, yeah, you just made me spend money....but its well worth it, well said!

Psystar wants to make money out of our hard work....

Some reasons why Psystar cannot run this project:

1. Psystar, to be able to sell these machines they must provide a customer support.

2. Psystar has to provide a valid address where buyers can return back their machines whether for repair or refund.

3. Apple will sooner or later distribute a patch impeaching Mac Clone to boot making Psystar customers unhappy.

4. Upgrading a Psystar computer will be a nightmare for beginners and it would lead to same problem that Apple already having with users willing to upgrade. etc...

I'm an insanelymac member and proud of it and will never support such a project. If there is any petition please let me know i'll sign it!

Long live Apple!

Psystar's website's back.

I guess it went down because of the unexpected huge traffic :D

Apple don't stand a chance in this case and that could have been foreseen the moment they switched to Intel chipsets and CPUs, something which was also inevitable considering the resources they needed to throw in order to keep the PPCs.

If Apple is as hungry for money as I think they will react changing the OSX's registration, support and updates policies or adding another hardware verification in upcoming updates ... but the community will still again find a way around it - that's just natural.

But if they decide to be smart and still make a {censored} load of money, they'll release more drivers and expand Leopard and future OSX compatibility.

Apple were selling computers before Leopard and still will after it, and people will still go for Apple products if they keep the innovative design.

But moving to a whole new different platform and expecting that any laws or EULAs will stop users is funny and I can bet Jobs has seen this coming sooner or later.

Go back in IT history you'll see many similar examples.

Sobriety always wins :D

Well, I just called Psystar and they look incredibly shady. After spending..ehh..30 minutes on the phone I got through to "support". The woman was very lacking in knowledge about their product offerings. At one point, I was "transferred" to a supervisor which involved yelling around the corner, a brief pause, and then her saying her supervisor wasn't it.

Apparently, we are to stay tuned for a press release this evening or early tomorrow morning. Until then, I'd keep my credit cards in my wallet.

I pray they have a swift death. this is exactly what the osx86 scene does not need. so far apple has let us fly under their radar but this brings too much attention to this project. I would hate apple to retaliate by making it harder to install osx86 through updates, firmware checks, onboard chip security etc. anyone onthis site knows they can build a much better unit than this. I have had a lot of fun with osx86 but I think it is time to join the real apple and just get a 24 inch imac. I need to run windows and mac and I love not having to worry about the next update not being compatible. I will still come here to read and learn but with companies like Psystar, it isnt fun anymore, no one here is trying to profit from this. For Psystar to come in and sell a bunch of units and believe me, there will be no support. they will point to im and tell the enduser, we never promised it would be perfectly compatible. buyer beware... if u want to pay for it, just buy a mac. if not build a unit and have fun but dont give your money to these parasites...

I see two problems here: a big hole in Apple's market, and a license that not many people abide by or care about, except when its time to run and hide.

The problems were caused by mistakes made by the ones with the most to lose in this. There is Apple, who ignored (or is slow to cultivate) what turned out to be a pretty large market after Leopard was released. And there is an opportunistic retailer who is trying to fill the hole in the market with what looks like a hastily conceived business plan. The result of those mistakes is another heated Intellectual Property debate about whos got rights to what, when what most of us really want is an affordable Apple computer.

Dragged in to the IP debate is the one piece of software that makes a home-grown market possible, and made this fiasco inevitable. Ironically it didn't even have a license attached to it until yesterday ( http://netkas.org/?p=62 ) because "kids can't tell the difference between product and code" ( http://netkas.org/?p=62#comment-1958 ). Maybe not. Although I have to say: welcome to the USA, netkas, where the kids CAN smell a buck. Now we're all running around scared because Apple may swing its mighty Legal Hammer.

Because of the legal fear we have to have the requisite show of indignance: "how dare those vultures swoop down on OUR scene and make a buck. They take advantage! They'll ruin everything!!" Uh huh. We even have Engadgets IP lawyer, Nilay Patel ( http://www.engadget.com/bloggers/nilay-patel ), on IRC asking the developers "how they feel" about having their work co-opted. If you read this guy ( http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/15/psystar...aggerated-still ), he really seems to perk up over the idea of one of these copyright wars. He says he represents in P2P cases, but he doesn't say for whom. One thing is for sure. He doesn't sound like Ray Beckerman ( http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com ).

So now what? Is it really going to be another RIAA-style legal bloodletting? There's a lot of case law on both sides of the argument. I guess it all depends on how reasonable everyone's willing to be. Apple could make this go away by offering a minitower priced right. I can think of a dozen developers they can hire to get the project off the ground. A few patches and a couple of kexts later and Apple could have a one-of-a-kind collectors item. Then Jobs can have his hardware and software control by giving us a real minitower that's affordable in places like Ukraine and Uruguay. Maybe in one of those black Antec P180 cases that everyone seems to like so much.

Or something like that. Yeah, yeah, I'm not the CEO of a billion-dollar multi-national. Those kinds of people don't like to be told their business from way down here, or forced into it by an opportunist; there's that matter of principle, you know. But who knows? Maybe Apple will step up and correct their mistake. Maybe they'll jump on an opportunity to make some extra customers. And maybe they'll continue to let the remainder who only want to tinker continue to tinker. I just hope it doesn't get too much more out of hand. Even if Psystar is a hoax, how long before we have to do this dance again? We need support, not subpoenas.

/rant.

I see two problems here: a big hole in Apple's market

... how long before we have to do this dance again?

Exactly, this issue is not going away. In fact, we should expect quite the opposite.

The Psystar phenomena, unlike the CherryOS spectacle a few years back: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CherryOS, is almost certain to generate copycats and while Apple's EULA may be enforceable in Florida it certainly is not everywhere.

As long as Apple refuses to offer some kind of OEM license for OS X, there is going to be money in selling OSx86. Apple's failure to offer an expandable single socket mid-tower computer compounds its problem.

First. People selling OSX86 is nothing new. But it is new that it is done from a store inside USA (or western country) and marketed.

Second. How Apple is going to respond. They have money and good lawyers and a will to protect their OS. They are most likely working to see if they are able to respond.

While the EULA is not so interesting for the legal system, there are a few other options (legally). As mentioned a critical point is "Don't steal mac os x". I don't know laws of the USA to know if there will be implications, but I know that there exists in a dozen other countries and I would believe also there. It is a copy-protection feature and circumventing such are breach of laws. Of course a good lawyer might be able to contest it. And psystar could always sell Leopard without installing it, but then it would be very restricted offer.

the address has changed twice today.

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9920436-37.html

According to Florida business records (PDF), Psystar was registered as a company on July 6, 2007, at 10645 SW 112th Street in Miami, a residential neighborhood in the Olympia Heights (2:05pm - Sorry, wrong neighborhood) area south of the city center. That was the address listed on Psystar's contact page on Monday, but at some point on Tuesday, Psystar changed its official address to 10481 NW 28th Street, a commercial district near Miami International Airport.

Several Gizmodo readers went to both addresses on Wednesday, and found no trace of any company named Psystar. A CNET News.com reader wrote in Tuesday night pointing out that a screen-printing company called CottonImages.com lists their address as 10481 NW 28th Street.

A spokesman for Cottonimages.com denied any knowledge of Psystar to Computerworld on Wednesday, and said no company by that name was located at their address. UPDATED 1:30 p.m. PDT--Gizmodo notes that Psystar's address has changed again, this time to 10471 NW 28th Street. Maybe the 10481 address was just a typo, but it's not clear. UPDATED 4:25 pm--Believe it or not, they changed it again. Psystar is now located at 10475 NW 28th Street. This is really weird.

i wonder what address they will use tomorrow...

Hey Guy's

I had read the topic to page 4 an i have created my own opinion.

1) I thank Kalyway, Jas everybody else to make it possible to "TEST" OSx86 before we buy it!

2) I think that the guy's from Psy* will definitively get a hard retribution for that they had done, or will do!

3) I hope that this lil community will not touched from apple, while Psy* is pointing at us!

4) I don't think that Psy* is moving anything. If i'm wrong and apple publish his OS for every one i will throw my pc in to the trash, while know the big virus attack will come on OS users.

5) I know that this community is still usefull for apple, we show them what they have to do better, but still we are a lil spike in the big eye of apple.

at least, yeah im on it to load Kalyway's leopard 10.5.2 but for what?

I do it to see what i will have in the futere (i plan to buy a mac book)

And only this COMMUNITY will make it POSIBLE not any a$$hole that sell's a {censored} Psy*{censored}

And that why i'm proud off you all excluded those motherf. that think that her is a

support for they {censored} Idea or else.

pease i'm out

I have my own issues with Gizmodo, but at least they're a somewhat credible source. Its pretty obvious now that Psystar is a hoax, or at least a joke. No wonder Apple has yet to even comment on this story - their lawyers probably figured out day-1 while we were still debating the issue.

I never liked this company, and now I can justify my feelings. By the way, pay close attention to their "checkout." they tack on extra equipment and charge you far more than the base unit they advertise by default. This is phishing at its best.

I'm glad within a week they'll come and go while we all have something interesting to talk about for a while. By the way, as if they haven't gotten enough credit and graditude, thank you to all the developers of the OSx86 project. You guys are the true heroes around here.

The outcome of Psystar

Hi, after reading through a lot of pages about Psystar, I came to a answer that Psycrap is actually a good scammer, he managed to scam a lot of people and for those who actually give him their credit card number, I hope nothing happen to it.

Anyway to the real issue, now that stupid Psycrap has made the presence of Leopard on PC public, what's going to happen to OSX86 project? Will Apple do something to it or just let it pass because honestly, I guess this project (running OS X on a PC) sort of become a free publicity for Apple.

Screw the person who created Psycrap if the OSX86 project has to be shut down!.

Anyway to the real issue, now that stupid Psycrap has made the presence of Leopard on PC public, what's going to happen to OSX86 project? Will Apple do something to it or just let it pass because honestly, I guess this project (running OS X on a PC) sort of become a free publicity for Apple.

Its naive to think that Leopard's presence on PC hardware hasn't been made public. Apple has been aware of this movement since before even the Intel switch. Our own Netkas is a bigger threat to Apple than this company, actually, seeing as until PC_EFI was released Mac OS was only usable with heavily modified operating systems and kernels that were unstable and easily broken. They didn't have to do much to combat use of their OS on non-Apple hardware until emulation was widely available. Until now, hackintosh systems were side-projects to try out and test as a hobby.

The Leopard 10.5.2 update was the first real attempt to break OSx86 now that it has matured to the point where a hackintosh can run a near-vanilla installation that is stable enough to do some real work, like video and music editing (I've made two music videos and a production video with my Kalyway install and have had few problems). Its going to progressively get more difficult as time goes on, with or without scam artists like this guy.

Well I know that Apple knows about the OSX86 project but now it has been made public, as in really public and its explained in Psycrap website about it, more people will start doing it. I my self use hackintosh as a test for fun.

What did Leopard 10.5.2 did? Im running Tiger cause my PC dont support SSE3.

A lot of people are claiming this could be the end of OSX86 cause people are starting to be able to run full fledged programs and their PC are able to work properly. Besides, company like Psystar certainly not helping the OSX86 project.