Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

I think you're wrong. I think now you are going to have a slew of people that are buying them because they are cheaper than a mini but don't realize what they are buying. I think Apple might just let this company put it's own foot in it's mouth. When it comes down to it they are selling something that doesn't even work 100% like a real Mac. The problem for Apple in this case is that at that price point you are going to have a lot of people buying to try for the first time and are going to end up hating Apple and/or Mac OS. A lot of people don't understand they can't update unless they know what they're doing and if they do try it's doubtful they will even be able to reinstall the OS, or that it won't have 100 funtionalitly; these people lack the skill to build a computer themselves anyway because if they could do it themselves they would have already. So now you have an Apple PR problem. This company will do more harm than good for Apple.

All Apple needs to do is bring back the Cube. The G4 Cube was a great middle ground between the iMac and the Powermac. Something for those who wanted a relatively small desktop with some upgrade potential. The problem was that it was too expensive at the time but the idea is awesome. It's basically what the Mini is minus upgradeability. Given the rising price too of the mini they are pushing buyers away. How is it that the components are getting cheaper and cheaper, yet the Mini is more expensive than ever? The G4 mini was cheaper and the G4 chips were expensive..

I completely agree, i meant someone who was familiar with hackintoshes. Oh btw from what i understand these pcs arnt even capable of sleep mode out of the box, which is a testament to how little thought pystar put in to selecting components for an os as finicky as leopard. Oh and for people who dont use hackintoshes there are plenty of components that are a 100% compatible with os x that pystar could have selected.

MacWorld Builds A Hackintosh - "Frankenmac! What's in a Mac clone?"

http://www.macworld.com/article/133028/200..._mac_clone.html

some exerpts (it's a 2 page article, so click the link the read everything).

133028-sonataIII_Q.jpg

Take the “mythical mid-range Mac minitower,” as Macworld's Dan Frakes called it. While Apple has an excellent selection of laptops, entry-level Macs, and high-end machines, it doesn’t offer anything at all in the way of a moderately powerful expandable tower model. Though the iMac offers good performance, it’s an all-in-one machine with limited expandability and a monitor that not everyone may need. As Dan wrote:

What I’d like to see is a minitower design with—and this is just one possible configuration that would fulfill my wish—a reasonably powerful processor (perhaps a higher-end Core 2 Duo or a single Xeon); a good graphics card in an upgradeable slot; a decent amount of RAM and hard-drive space; a single free PCI Express slot; and room for one additional hard drive. The ability to swap out the optical drive would be a nice touch.

I’m generally with Dan on this one—I don’t want or need a machine with a built-in monitor, I don’t need the power of an eight-core Mac Pro, but I’d like my Mac to be faster and more expandable than a mini. (I want more than one slot and room for more drives, however, so my minitower might be more of a medium-tower.)

Tired of waiting and hoping for the Mac of my dreams to appear, I decided to take the technology into my own hands and build it myself. And thus began my experiment to assemble my very own OS X-running machine.

To realize my dream Mac system, I set myself a budget of $1,000 (not including keyboard, monitor, or mouse), and started shopping for computer parts. While this amount is much more than what Psystar claims it will charge, I wanted to build a more powerful machine than what that company is offering, and then see how well it worked compared with machines from Cupertino.

Part - Description - Cost

Motherboard - Asus P5K-E - $152.99

CPU - Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz - $219.99

CPU heat sink - Zalman CPNS7700-Cu - $48.00

RAM - 4GB DDR-2 800Mhz PC6400 - $94.99

Video card - MSI NX8800GT 512MB OC - $189.99

Case - Antec Sonata III 500 - $119.00

DVD/CD Burner - LG HL-DT-ST GSA-H62N - $40.00

Hard drive - Seagate 500GB SATA 2 - $93.00

Other - Shipping charges - $23.45

TOTAL - $982.40

133028-frankenparts.jpg

My machine—which I’ve named the Frankenmac—doesn’t look anything like a Mac from the outside, of course. The Antec case is glossy black, with a swing-open door that hides the externally-accessible drive bays, along with two USB ports, one eSATA port, and audio jacks on a shiny metallic strip on the front. And if you happen to be sitting in front of it when it starts up, the BIOS loading screen and black-and-white text-based boot loader (which lets me choose between Vista and OS X) is a dead giveaway that this is not your normal Mac.

However, if I were to hide the case and set you down in front of the monitor when the system was already running, you’d be convinced that you were using a “real” Mac—with one minor exception: If you open the About This Mac box, you’ll see a giveaway that this machine isn’t your typical Mac. I don’t think Apple’s ever shipped an “unknown” processor!

But if you close the About box and just start using the machine, you’ll be using a “real” Mac, one that performs (mostly) just like its factory-approved counterpart. The Frankenmac runs any OS X program, including PowerPC-based programs via the Rosetta code-translation system. The CD/DVD burner works with iTunes, iDVD, and iMovie. Even low-level stuff like sleep works—although I have to wake the Frankenmac by touching the power button; the keyboard and mouse are ignored while the machine is sleeping. (That may be due to the fact that I’m using a wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse over USB—I haven’t tested it with Apple-branded hardware.)

On the hardware front, everything also seems to work fine. The onboard Ethernet, audio, USB, eSATA and FireWire ports all work. I even found an old USB/FireWire PCI card (from a previous generic Windows machine I built), plugged it in, and connected my iSight camera to it—no problems whatsoever. I plugged in my Wacom tablet, installed the drivers, and found that it also works just fine—including handwriting recognition via the Ink System Preferences panel.

133028-aboutthismac.png

that's it for exerpts. read the article for benchmarks (hackintosh/frankenmac vs. a mac pro) and other info.

133028-insidemacb.jpg

http://www.macworld.com/article/133028/200..._mac_clone.html

his isn't makin' money from any of psystar's sales but he isn't losin' money either.

I reckon it's not as simple as that.

Everybody who has ever created something from scratch putting lots of idealism and energy into it and see someone else running off with it making cash will understand what I mean by 'not as simple'.

Yes, even in so-called business...

Everybody certainly has the choice to be either hypocritical by always resorting to 'laws' but at the same time keep his fingers as sticky as possible, or to accept the fact that civilised societies must preserve at least a fair amount of ethics and common sense which don't necessarily require 'laws'.

PS. A civilised society must never forget that the privileges and advantages of the greediest and the most unscrupulous are not a right but a flaw...

I reckon it's not as simple as that.

Everybody who has ever created something from scratch putting lots of idealism and energy into it and see someone else running off with it making cash will understand what I mean by 'not as simple'.

Yes, even in so-called business...

Everybody certainly has the choice to be either hypocritical by always resorting to 'laws' but at the same time keep his fingers as sticky as possible, or to accept the fact that civilised societies must preserve at least a fair amount of ethics and common sense which don't necessarily require 'laws'.

PS. A civilised society must never forget that the privileges and advantages of the greediest and the most unscrupulous are not a right but a flaw...

i'm no stranger "creatin' something from scratch".

i make beats from scratch...

people steal beats all the time...

so i take precautions against theft...

i don't wait for someone to steal my stuff and then complain...

so he can complain about psystar all that he wants...

i would too if i was him...

but what does he want from psystar??? don't answer, only netkas can answer, we can only assume what he would say but then we would have 100,000 different opinions on this...

does he want money??? i think not, he risks bein' a codefendant if apple decides to sue psystar...

does he want psystar to not use his program??? good luck one that one...

does he want recognition and credit???

does he want psystar to quit sellin' hackintoshes???

does he want something else???

so we can agree to disagree on this one...

I've been following this thread with both excitement and reluctance. It's far too soon to jump to conclusions. But I have compound my top yes or no forethoughts; and here they are, in case some of you guys might take notice... Again, those are just my own opinions...

1. Was the computer technology able to be born and rise without hacking and hackers? NO

2. Is it ok to steal somebody's intellectual rights? NO

Period.

3. Then, if it happens, is it any good in the long run? YES

People call it experience and is the milestone of human civilization.

4. Shall the osx86 project or Apple have to really suffer after this Psything incident? NO

I'm sure they'll be many many others. And changes take place surprisingly slow in this fast crazy world.

5. Will Steve mess in the osx86 community? (Why would Apple force the osx86 out of the scene?) NO

Steve knows the answers mentioned above and I'm sure Apple make use of the community's knowledge. OSX86 is a test market unlike anyother on the planet, providing enough good to the company's image. Money may come and go, but image is everything for Apple. Imagine so many disappointed Mac fans...

6. Shall we see in the future Apple's more diverse configurations and lower prices? YES

Business is business.

7. Shall I buy an Apple computer in the future? YES

No matter how many Hackintoshes I'll have. I need the bootcamp and the feeling of the "real thing".

8. Is Steve a great man of vision? YES

He was one of the few who saw the potential of computer usage long time ago, in (nowadays) top domains, like CG.

He was the one who saw the potential of selling mp3s when everybody else in the music business banned the concept.

He "signed the pact with the devil" Intel, and people state Mac computers will never be as good again. But they were wrong.

Since the iPhone is intended to be the future ultra portable computer, desktop computers might just be targeted for several professional categories. This isn't just Apple's philosophy, but they made the first real step.

9. Does Apple's market share going up? YES

No doubt about it. iPhone shall be a very powerful portable computer, bringing a lot of money for the company. Enough money no to care so much about selling other computer hardware as they do today. And selling other computer hardware is related to selling OSX. So I wouldn't be surprised to see legal Leopard for PC by-and-by. Again, business is business.

10. Would it affect the Mac world if Apple will eventually sell OSX for PC? NO

I thought a lot about this answer! Why? Because everything Jobs did so far was right for them as it was for customers. Wally Olins affirmed that any successful business contain 3 ingredients: technical/professional competence, financial skills and ability to sell (or charm, but you can call it marketing). Commonly one of them tend to dominate. And Apple's got enough seduction to fill the earth. The quality of their products won't stumble in preconceptions. In fact Apple uses this forum to make all their decisions for the future. "Don't ask people what they want, take a guess!" Remember? Anyway, I cannot imagine osx legally sold by Apple for any kind of pc.

The Pandora's box was open some time ago, and I'm sure Jobs knew this will happen. The power of a single-minded vision consist in the ability to be consequent when showing the world lots of wonderful changes. No matter what, I see a great future for OSX

Okay, people, this gets ugly. :( Let's close it already.

@badeavasile,

I read through your questions. Thanks for them; they gave me a chance to think about things. My answers happen to be the same as yours!!! :D (except "8. Is Steve ... ?" I think he is just an okay manager with charisma and that's about it. After all, he was just another dime-a-dozen liar who cheated his best friend for money as soon as he got into this business. Really unfortunate to see Apple's future depends not only on its great engineers but also on his charisma.)

wow...i think this is far from closed!

let the whole thing play out...why is there a need to close a thread when developments in this strange company keep on coming... there will be much more info coming at the rate this is going!

Has anyone seen/mentioned this (From Psystar's About Page)?

"...With over 30 years of combined experience in Enterprise-level systems, Psystar can provide secure information solutions to everyone–from the independent small-business owner to the global market providers..."

30 years experience but doesnt even have a stable address

:D:) :)

Yeah, if I were someone that had purchased something from them, I'd be calling my credit card company NOW to report the potential identity fraud and to cancel my card! Seems like a phishing scheme from hell to me.

I've actually been a lurker on these forums for years, but just registered recently. I've set up my own hackintosh's - 3 of them - both for academic value (this is the most fun I've had since the early RedHat days), and productivity. I can't see Apple taking the time to make a purely destructive firmware update any time soon - so I wouldn't be worried about that. I am a software developer who frequently has people 'borrow' my software - as long as they don't do it for their own profit, and as long as they direct user feedback to me - I usually leave them alone (or more accurately, the company that I license my code to chooses to under my direction).

For Apple to write a firmware update that was 1) totally necessary, i.e. fixed something most 'real' mac users were demanding and 2) totally destructive to any 'un-real' macs would be a very complicated process indeed. Remember that other than the EFI itself the rest of the hardware that millions of Apple customers have purchased is indistinguishable from that of a well-built hackintosh. On the other side, they are getting free market analysis and penetration without having to pay anything at all (unless you consider lost revenues from those that stole the OS in the first place). Before you are confused, that is not me. In fact, I probably have the closest thing to a legitimate install - i.e. I own a genuine Mac Mini - which I do not use. However, I still own it and it's license of Tiger. I purchased the family license of Leopard retail which allows install on up to 5 machines that I own. I just chose to install Leopard on a machine I built, and put my Mini in the closet! :D (That being said my machine and the other two 'hackintoshes' when they are booted into Leo are technically still in violation of the EULA).

At any rate, development costs money - and depending on how convoluted that process is (and I would have to assume that creating code that is beneficial to one type of hardware, but destructive to another that is 99.99% the same is VERY convoluted). This Psystar BS is exactly that... and after he steals a bunch of sucker's CC numbers and sells them to the highest bidder, or just mails them a PC that has {censored} hardware worth less than $250 for $500... he will dissappear again. I don't see this changing anything much for either the OSx86 community or for Apple Corporation.

Also to the posts concerning the DataGeneral lawsuit and the subsequent 'consequences' (there were way more problems for DG than just licensing) - alluding to the concept that if Apple were to lose a EULA suit they would die as a company or at least have to make way for clone makers everywhere... not true. Apple actually make an appallingly small sum on their hardware in profit - not saying it's not overpriced... just saying that they don't make their money there. Although they do make a killing on hardware upgrades... since they didn't do anything but package up some RAM and sell it for a 3-4X markup. Software is always more profitable as long as the market penetration is significant... otherwise Microsoft would not be the monster everyone loves to hate.

Although the nefarious purposes behind Psystar may have struck a nerve with Netkas and others... in reality, I would have to see at least 2 machines actually in existance - not a snapshot - running a OSX install using EFI emulation to even believe that this company has purchased enough inventory to mail even 1 "Open Computer" to any customer... let alone forged some magic that will let a buyer just 'pop in an original DVD and install from it without issue'... if they did... then they've done something that none of the great minds on this site have in over 3 years of trying.

And if DataGeneral had made the iPhone and iPod... they'd be a household name today... regardless of whether anyone even knew they once made computers.

i'm no stranger "creatin' something from scratch".

i make beats from scratch...

people steal beats all the time...

so i take precautions against theft...

i don't wait for someone to steal my stuff and then complain...

so he can complain about psystar all that he wants...

i would too if i was him...

but what does he want from psystar??? don't answer, only netkas can answer, we can only assume what he would say but then we would have 100,000 different opinions on this...

does he want money??? i think not, he risks bein' a codefendant if apple decides to sue psystar...

does he want psystar to not use his program??? good luck one that one...

does he want recognition and credit???

does he want psystar to quit sellin' hackintoshes???

does he want something else???

so we can agree to disagree on this one...

That's exactly where the ill resides. People of the 21st century have become either utterly callus or flat out ignorant when it comes to misuse of intellectual / artistic property. There seem to be only two options these days -

1. lawsuit (if the finances allow it)

2. shut up and eat crow... tough {censored}, mate!

It seems like the past 1980 generation has literally embraced the concept that 'borrowing' other people's ideas is better than creating something from scratch and give everybody involved in the project their due credits and respect. This is best reflected in the fact that cover versions, songs containing sampled loops from older songs and dumbed down Hollywood remakes of excellent independent films get more praise and respect than the originals just because they have the means to put brand names behind their shlock. Something the original creators were either never lucky enough to afford or never had the intention to do as the result was supposed to stimulate a bit more complex things than just figures in bank accounts.

Companies like psystar clearly take advantage of consumers' ignorance and/or complacency.

The reaction of everybody in the know (many people are or will be in the know) should read like 'I'm not going to buy this'. This is unfortunately not the case. I'll refrain from enumerating the possible reasons for this...

Let's not forget that the only truly efficient 'precaution against theft' of intellectual property is to never release it.

It's very worrying that we have to build a fortification around virtually everything. Instead of letting the armouring escalate to absurd levels we should rather take a step back and wonder what the root causes are and work on those...

I'm trying to figure, how do you sue someone for stealing something that is illegal in the first place?

I'ts like going to the cops in the UK and reporting that someone stole a bag of Cannabis from your house! :P

SticMAN

@Mysticus

well, at 50 people working for them 30years/50people .... should be everybody has to work there at least 7 months in the computer industry!

at 100 people.....you make the sums!

Has anyone seen/mentioned this (From Psystar's About Page)?"...With over 30 years of combined experience in Enterprise-level systems, Psystar can provide secure information solutions to everyone–from the independent small-business owner to the global market providers..."30 years experience but doesnt even have a stable address :wacko:;):P

Pystar Made illegal thing and won't can continue to make others computers (Open Mac) and supports it Because this is just "Illegal".

in my case i get real mac (iMac Alu) after i had tried a mac on my pc.

i think if you want to "try" only the mac you can give it a chance on your pc but if you want to continue with this try you can get a real mac and support apple to develop itself.

Thanks for this topic and excellent comments Guys!.

I'm trying to figure, how do you sue someone for stealing something that is illegal in the first place?

I'ts like going to the cops in the UK and reporting that someone stole a bag of Cannabis from your house! :D

SticMAN

:hysterical: Bookmark!

I'ts like going to the cops in the UK and reporting that someone stole a bag of Cannabis from your house! :P

Well, that's not exactly a solid comparison.

Developing an EFI emulator is not illegal. I would even assume that the distribution of it is not illegal either. What is in fact illegal is to use an emulator as a vehicle to violate EULAs. That's exactly what psystar is doing.

(Needless to mention the lot with their hacks out there...) :D

re PsyStar: So far they seem a bit shady. Time will tell and we'll see how people do with their systems, assuming they aren't just a scam or hoax. I agree with others here that Apple benefits from the OSx86 project and may even be encouraging it, waiting for the time it's really ready for "prime time" -- i.e. a "sneak attack" on Microsoft. People may start buying OS X en masse if it really gets to the point that most modern hardware is well-supported and patch distributions are n00b-friendly. As long as people do pay for their OS X license and don't expect any support from Apple, I doubt Apple would try to find a court to uphold EULA violations.

Pystar Made illegal thing and won't can continue to make others computers (Open Mac) and supports it Because this is just "Illegal".

in my case i get real mac (iMac Alu) after i had tried a mac on my pc.

i think if you want to "try" only the mac you can give it a chance on your pc but if you want to continue with this try you can get a real mac and support apple to develop itself.

I think that if we buy our license for OS X, I'm not sure that breaking the EULA is really "illegal", per se. Personally, I don't even think it's unethical. I was disappointed each time Apple announced new products in the past couple of years, because there was never that basic "mythical" low-end mini-tower that so many of us want. I'd much rather buy a low-power-consuming, desktop with a bit more expansion options than the Mini or iMac, if it existed and Apple produced and supported it. I wouldn't buy a Psystar model, because if I run a Hackintosh, I should really know what I'm doing... it's a learning process that's been painful and if I weren't short on cash with current low income (student and in foreign country where it's harder for me to get a good job for now), I'd bite the bullet about the power-consumption and "things I don't need" and just buy a Mac Pro. But you have to bear in mind that the price of a "real" Mac is about 1.5 times the US price here in Europe. Some day, and I hope it won't be too long, my time will be worth enough that doing a Hackintosh build will be purely for "hobby" purposes.

In my case, I've probably ordered a few too many parts to consider my system quite "low-end", anymore (yes, I got some financial help and since I've bought a copy of XP, I might have to migrate to Windows if this doesn't all work out... but I've been using Macs for years and I plan to make this all work as a dual-boot system -- fingers crossed!) We'll see how the build goes (hopefully next weekend)...

I really considered buying a new iMac, but I would rather have a system I can upgrade in future and which doesn't include an in-built monitor, etc... For too many reasons to go into here, I didn't like that option. I'm sure I'll buy a new Mac at some point in the future when Apple provides something that makes me drool and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. :P In the meantime, I don't think I (or any/all of us) are any threat to Apple and we provide a good testing ground, plus show them what we want. I hope people aren't going to get scammed by PsyStar... and I do think it's lousy that they're commercializing the work of Netkas and the rest of the community, but I think it's too early to pass judgment. I'm as curious as anyone here about how this all plays out, though.

Yeah, if I were someone that had purchased something from them, I'd be calling my credit card company NOW to report the potential identity fraud and to cancel my card! Seems like a phishing scheme from hell to me.

I've actually been a lurker on these forums for years, but just registered recently. I've set up my own hackintosh's - 3 of them - both for academic value (this is the most fun I've had since the early RedHat days), and productivity. I can't see Apple taking the time to make a purely destructive firmware update any time soon - so I wouldn't be worried about that. I am a software developer who frequently has people 'borrow' my software - as long as they don't do it for their own profit, and as long as they direct user feedback to me - I usually leave them alone (or more accurately, the company that I license my code to chooses to under my direction).

For Apple to write a firmware update that was 1) totally necessary, i.e. fixed something most 'real' mac users were demanding and 2) totally destructive to any 'un-real' macs would be a very complicated process indeed. Remember that other than the EFI itself the rest of the hardware that millions of Apple customers have purchased is indistinguishable from that of a well-built hackintosh. On the other side, they are getting free market analysis and penetration without having to pay anything at all (unless you consider lost revenues from those that stole the OS in the first place). Before you are confused, that is not me. In fact, I probably have the closest thing to a legitimate install - i.e. I own a genuine Mac Mini - which I do not use. However, I still own it and it's license of Tiger. I purchased the family license of Leopard retail which allows install on up to 5 machines that I own. I just chose to install Leopard on a machine I built, and put my Mini in the closet! :) (That being said my machine and the other two 'hackintoshes' when they are booted into Leo are technically still in violation of the EULA).

At any rate, development costs money - and depending on how convoluted that process is (and I would have to assume that creating code that is beneficial to one type of hardware, but destructive to another that is 99.99% the same is VERY convoluted). This Psystar BS is exactly that... and after he steals a bunch of sucker's CC numbers and sells them to the highest bidder, or just mails them a PC that has {censored} hardware worth less than $250 for $500... he will dissappear again. I don't see this changing anything much for either the OSx86 community or for Apple Corporation.

Also to the posts concerning the DataGeneral lawsuit and the subsequent 'consequences' (there were way more problems for DG than just licensing) - alluding to the concept that if Apple were to lose a EULA suit they would die as a company or at least have to make way for clone makers everywhere... not true. Apple actually make an appallingly small sum on their hardware in profit - not saying it's not overpriced... just saying that they don't make their money there. Although they do make a killing on hardware upgrades... since they didn't do anything but package up some RAM and sell it for a 3-4X markup. Software is always more profitable as long as the market penetration is significant... otherwise Microsoft would not be the monster everyone loves to hate.

Although the nefarious purposes behind Psystar may have struck a nerve with Netkas and others... in reality, I would have to see at least 2 machines actually in existance - not a snapshot - running a OSX install using EFI emulation to even believe that this company has purchased enough inventory to mail even 1 "Open Computer" to any customer... let alone forged some magic that will let a buyer just 'pop in an original DVD and install from it without issue'... if they did... then they've done something that none of the great minds on this site have in over 3 years of trying.

And if DataGeneral had made the iPhone and iPod... they'd be a household name today... regardless of whether anyone even knew they once made computers.

Just read Apple's financial reports. They make most of their money with hardware. Else they would adopt the Microsoft model and get out of the hardware business. They have been milking the same iMac, Powerbook and mini design for 3 years now. They also make tons of money with the iPod hardware - not with iTunes. The MacOs and the HW esthetic design is the glue that sells Macs for Apple.

Steve Jobs started his career as a hacker selling little boxes to get free LD calls.

http://www.realgeek.com/apple-not-against-iphone-hackers/

I predict that you will see more and more Mac clones (without the OS installed) on the market.

This site is all about what this company is doing.

For the same reason, Microsoft will never be able to really kill XP.

@Mysticus

well, at 50 people working for them 30years/50people .... should be everybody has to work there at least 7 months in the computer industry!

I got you now :) lol

30 years x 365 days = 10950 days if they work non stop

8 hrs a day or 40 hours a week is probably average market rate.

If they are working full day non-stop, 24 / 8 = 3 days worth of work in just one day!

we assume they are working 7 days a week, 7 x 3 = 21 days work in a week

50 people?, 21 x 50 = 1050days in just one week! WOW!

10950 / 1050 = 10.4 week ~ that incredibly sick!

In about a week time they got orders/transactions that exceeded an anual year and closed the shop :) in 1 week to get 30 years experience

Workforce and finish time has reverse correlation...

50 people 10.4 week

100 people 5.2 week

200 people 2.6 week

400 people 1.3 week

520 people 1 week

if they work 8 hrs shifts

520 x 3 = 1560 people should be working for the company

to be optimistic noone likes to work 7 days, so 1 week full 1 week off shifts

1560 x 2 = 3120 people... thats just sick :)

they must be a huge company!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...012027&z=17

to understand where 3120 people working? check the above map. Note that since green dot is showing wrong place, check the north side of the green dot, to see how efficiently they designed their factory :) see the dense individual production barracs in the dense area towards the north of the green dot :)

if you look closely you can understand how efficient they are? they dont even need to leave the factory... houses around the factory in very close distance, and airport is just east of the factory, so ready to ship :)

I bet apple is not that efficient :)

cheers..

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8538

As this Psystar saga turns–the alleged Mac clone maker is either an overwhelmed legitimate business, a scam or something in between–it’s helpful to have some feet on the street. A reader–an local IT guy in Miami–visited the last address for Psystar and verified two things: There’s activity and inventory on the scene. There is a business there and he noted headquarters “isn’t located in a shady part of town.” But a lack of signage and the fact he couldn’t get in doesn’t provide a confirmation that Psystar is actually at the address.

But if Psystar (all coverage) isn’t there it’s quite a ruse. I just had a good chat with this technology manager–who doesn’t want to be named right now because he doesn’t want to be bombarded and actually wants to chat with Psystar in person to buy one of these Mac clones for his company–and he’s a quality source. In fact, he’s known in his industry in Miami. However, he’s not much of a photographer, but we’ll be getting more in as he investigates. However, he’s officially at Between the Lines deputy now though.

Without further ado, here’s Psystar’s facility at:

PsyStar Corporation

10475 NW 28th St

Doral, FL 33172

psystar1nc6.png

So they are gettin' away with it, arent they?

For the moment, but why does Apple still have "no comment"?:

Meet The Mac-Clone Mystery Man

How's this for a deal. At a fraction of the cost of a comparably equipped machine from Apple, a Web-based company dubbed Psystar is offering a computer you can have loaded up with just about any operating system you choose, including Apple's OS X Leopard.

That would not be news if, like thousands of mom-and-pop computer builders around the country, Psystar were offering any other operating system. But that Psystar is allowing users to order what is essentially a cut-price Mac violates Apple's licensing terms, which forbids users from jamming its software onto non-Apple hardware.

Pedraza says he hasn't heard from Apple about his venture--yet. Is he nervous about what Apple will say? "Nope."

Apple declined to comment to Forbes.com on the matter.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/04/1...0418macman.html

One would think that Apple would want to nip this idea in bud by telling the world they intend to sue Psystar (and anyone else who tries this) into oblivion.

I can't believe that Steve Jobs is going to let a commercial Mac-clone market be developed by small business nobodies like Psystar.

Well, that's not exactly a solid comparison.

Developing an EFI emulator is not illegal. I would even assume that the distribution of it is not illegal either. What is in fact illegal is to use an emulator as a vehicle to violate EULAs. That's exactly what psystar is doing.

(Needless to mention the lot with their hacks out there...) ;)

what else am i goin' to do with efi EXCEPT use it o install os x???

that's like H2O crackin' steinberg cubase, postin' it on the net... ppl dl their work, install cubase on their pc's w/o payin' steinberg the $300-500 for it, they sell a beat for $200-$50,000, and then H2O starts complainin' that ppl use their work to install cubase on their pc's w/o payin' steinberg the $300-500 for it.

I'ts like going to the cops in the UK and reporting that someone stole a bag of Cannabis from your house! biggrin.gif

SticMAN

@Mysticus

exactly. creatin' efi isn't illegal. but the purpose/design/reason for it is illegal. sorry but i cannot perform illegal activities such as sellin drugs and then call the police and/or file a lawsuit when somebody else steals my drugs (ok, so dumbasses have called police about bein' robbed of their crack cocaine, stupid crackheads). ethically and morally it is wrong. nobody here is sayin' that psystar hasn't violated any ethics or morals. BUT, the person who was wronged is on their own for tryin' to obtain a remedy that will satisfy them.

1. lawsuit (if the finances allow it)

2. shut up and eat crow... tough {censored}, mate!

Let's not forget that the only truly efficient 'precaution against theft' of intellectual property is to never release it.

shut up and eat crow is not accurate. there are thieves who like to break into houses. do you lock your door when you leave your house or do you leave it open and unlocked??? a locked door can easily be kicked down but we still take precautions by lockin' the door.