[How to] Install 10.5.2 Update [TUTORIAL]

=-Devin-=

509 posts in this topic

BUT - 1st time boot failes, the spinning wheel turns rounds and rounds and rounds. So I rebootet, pressed "any key" and started with "-s" into the Single User Mode. I run "fsck -fy" in that mode, typed "exit" afterwards and was able to boot into the OS again. It's a bit slow, but that's because of the Single User Mode.

Could someone explain how to boot in the manner described above? I tried hitting buttons as OS X boots but nothing different happens. I have the spinning wheel issue too.

** Update **

I read beyond the first page and found that I needed to hold down F8. After booting with install disk and doing chown and chmod and repair permissions, the F8 & -v -x -f boot worked. Then rebooted and all is well with 10.5.2.

:) i think you guys are working very hard without need.. I did the update outlined by netkas (same as this thread), although it works fine, there is no need for all this at this point.

Just look in the usual places for the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update and kalyway kernel as other people have suggested here, they are both install packages that do not require any backing up of kext or having to SUDO, run scrips, F8 -x -r.. etc

You should backup anyways; in fact you should have atleast one time-machine backup before trying just in case

Run the combo update first, reboot, install kernel update package, reboot and you're set. Worked flawlessly for me.

P5E / Core 2 Duo 3ghz / onboard 'supremeFX2' audio/ 4GB DDR2 ram / original install was kalyway 10.5.1 prior to update.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

DO NOT USE THIS INSTALL METHOD IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING THE VANILLA KERNEL!

USING THIS UPDATE UNDER THE "SLEEP" KERNEL, WILL CAUSE COMPATIBILITY ISSUE AND MAY VERY WELL BRICK YOUR INSTALLATION, FORCING A REINSTALL.

USERS WHO WISH TO UPGRADE TO 10.5.2 WITH THE "SLEEP" KERNEL PLEASE USE THE KALYWAY COMBO UPDATER.

Quick question. I have a rather complicated graphics setup (not really just some edited .kexts) and when I install the graphics update it bricks my system. I might be willing to give it a try again later this week as the last time I tried the error was actually hard drive related but ANYWAY

if I restore the graphics kext files i was using prior to the graphics update, will i still experience the speed increase brought by the update?

I've got the wheel going round too.

In verbose mode i've seen that boot stops after havin lunched the firewire.

It found it, then say "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure" and then it stops workin'.

I've read about startin in Single User Mode, tryin to do it ( booting from installer DVD and from terminal using chmod and chown on my Volume's SMBIOS and then repairing permission using diskutility) ... Probably i made something wrong 'cause every time, after reboot, system stops at the same point..

Could anyone explain me step by step how to do it correctly or a way to fix my stop-problem ?

Thanks and sorry

Using TohRc2 efi vanilla kernel on Pavilion 6500

I am able to update my iATKOS v1.0i using Devin's procedures but still encounter the Touchpad and Keyboard problem even if i already replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

1st problem when replacing my AppleACPI..kext from 10.5.2 to 10.5.1 was something like Version not Identified sorry if I dont have the exact Error Msg, but I manage to resolve the problem by deleting ( Dont Steal Mac.kext ) after deleting the file.

2nd problem was I encountered this error "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.3.13/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407" manage to resolve by deleting ( ACPIPS2Nub.kext )

I manage to login to System now but still Touchpad and Keyboard doesnt work ( im using AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.5.1 )

Any idea? anyone knows if any kext used by this hardwares

You can just download this Kalyway Update I installed it and I have iatkos v1.0i and it works fine......http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4024028/kalywa....5.2ComboUpdateGood Luck!!!!!Orteginho!

I will try this update since I am also using iATKOS v1.0i Thanks Man :)

Works PERFECT thank you so much :unsure: I also did the Leopard Graphics Update and installed perfect nothing weird.

List of the updates i've did after the update:

2008-02-24 17:50:54 +0200: Installed "QuickTime" (7.4.1)

2008-02-24 18:56:54 +0200: Installed "iLife Support" (8.2)

2008-02-24 18:56:59 +0200: Installed "Front Row Update" (2.1.2)

2008-02-24 18:57:21 +0200: Installed "iTunes" (7.6.1)

2008-02-24 18:57:36 +0200: Installed "iPhoto Update" (7.1.2)

2008-02-24 20:21:14 +0200: Installed "GarageBand ’08 Instruments and Apple Loops" (1.0)

2008-02-24 20:27:38 +0200: Installed "Leopard Graphics Update" (1.0)

I've got the wheel going round too.

In verbose mode i've seen that boot stops after havin lunched the firewire.

It found it, then say "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure" and then it stops workin'.

I've read about startin in Single User Mode, tryin to do it ( booting from installer DVD and from terminal using chmod and chown on my Volume's SMBIOS and then repairing permission using diskutility) ... Probably i made something wrong 'cause every time, after reboot, system stops at the same point..

Could anyone explain me step by step how to do it correctly or a way to fix my stop-problem ?

Thanks and sorry

Using TohRc2 efi vanilla kernel on Pavilion 6500

Hey man, i got the same problem, using an asus s96s, the post said go into single user mode, but it lockes up with that stupid firewire message, and then it hangs, is there anyway to get past this, ive tryed repairing permissions and everything, but no luck, been trying for ages,

And thanks Devin, this is one of the best, simpliest guide to follow

Doesn't work for me I have Kalyway 10.5.1. I did install Kernel does that have any affect? The Kalyway Patch installs everything but when you restart the screen is blank after OSX loading..

Do we have to follow these steps if we are using Kalyway Patch??? If not does anyone know why when I restart it shows a black screen after the apple loading logo =/

i did the kalyway update from 10.5.1 vanilla efi to 10.5.2 with the kalyway combo, just ran it as it is and installs without a problem. after the whole deal was done and over with i tackled the graphics update and got nothin but blue screen after boot. seems like it boots to logon screen but doesn't show it. if i type in my password and hit enter, my hard drive activity looks like it's loading my desktop but stays at blue screen. if i hit my power button and enter, it shuts down.

that's my input, don't have any dumps or anything as i reformatted and reinstalled with 10.5.2 update, didn't do graphics update though. system running fine, still have mouse tearing issues, just not as frequent. depends what i'm running

i did notice some inprovements with program stability and multitasking, haven't really messed around too much with it yet, we'll see! i do like the fact that time machine works now though! thank god for finally being able to make a backup

Has anyone determined the root cause of sleep no longer functioning w/ the 10.5.2 kalyway update? From reading online it sounds like AppleACPIPlatform.kext is definitely possibility. Can I just pull those kexts from my install DVD, drop them in extensions then repair permissions?

Has anyone fixed this sleep issue yet? I also used the kalyway combo update and everything works fine, but not sleep mode.

I tried to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext from install DVD, which lead into kernel panic (I repaired permissions before).

And by the way, when I try to repair permissions nothing is repaired. Neither when in Leopard itself, nor when booting from install DVD. Disk Utility recognizes the permission difference but doesn't repair them.

Any Ideas?

Help is always appreciated.

Greez

wanky

I Just installed Mac OS X 10.5.0 TOH RC2 and updated it to work with EFI+Vanilla and everything worked great, sleep too. But after update to 10.5.2 I lost my ps2 keyboard. My mouse is on USB and keyboard on PS2, everthing else is working great even Graphic Update went smoth but keyboard is not working. I tried loading some kexts from 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 :

-ApplePS2Controller.kext

-ACPIPS2Nub.kext

-AppleACPIPlatform.kext

-AppleSMBIOS.kext

but that didnt help or changed anything.

Does anyone know what could be the catch or any helpful advice?

Kalyway's new update worked great for me. It did take awhile for the boot up process, not sure how long but I walked away for 15-20mins and came back to my Leo desktop and everything updated. Ran the graphics update. No issues.

I hosed it the 1st time, last week, i thought you had to replace Ktext's, wrong thing to do I suppose. I'm rather noobish to OSX86, not to PC's/Mac but seemed to get things working, thankfully to this forum and everyone's info. :)

You can just download this Kalyway Update I installed it and I have iatkos v1.0i and it works fine......

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4024028/kalywa....5.2ComboUpdate

Good Luck!!!!!

Orteginho!

Haha, Success! :D

Your solution worked a charm, a single reboot during grey apple had me worried but second boot was fine (and consecutive ones too :wacko: )

For the record i am using the patched 1.0ir2.

Thanks Again