Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Nice guide :D

Realy thanks.

The best for me is the "Vegetables are rich in micronutrients that are essential to your health" frase in the post-patch.sh xD

FINALLY... :) hahaha

Using guide v4.4, I seem to be missing something:

At step 6 we use EFI Studio to install strings for LAN, audio, perhaps video.

The EFI Studio you supply in the install pack has nothing but a few video boards.

I know there are different versions out there that seem to include a larger or smaller number of

video cards. Yours looks like the original June 08 release.

Is there a pathing issue so that it's not finding its files?

Is there a site for EFI studio with more documentation? Later versions, additional hardware support?

Google doesn't seem to give anything.

Does EFI Studio save a copy of the

original com.apple.boot.plist? Where?

Thanks for your help.

im having a problem even getting the installer to go through im using the boot132 to get my retail version of 10.5.6 to run but the problem is and ive searched everywhere for a solution is it goes to the apple logo, grey screen with spinning circle on bottom, and after about 2 min i get that O with a line through it and it just hangs, ive searched everywhere and if anyone could help me fix this it would be very much apreciated.

my specs are,

Asus P5N-D motherboard

2g of ram

2 Western Digital sata HD

1 Samsung IDE HD

LG dvd drive

Nvidia 9800GTX gfx card

P.S the weird thing is is i can get JaS OS 10.4.8 to install on my Samsung ide drive no problem...

finally, installed in EP45-UD3LR~ ;)

But I have another question.

How can I make it dual boot with Vista?

I just want to use Vista to play games.. :)

I try use EasyBCD, chain0, and tboot. but both of them can't sucess.

Please help in advance. :)

Thanks~!

How can I make it dual boot with Vista?

Install vista on its own drive (preferable the first one in the system) then have your OS X install on another drive now when you boot use the F12 key to get to boot selection menu where you have the option to chose which drive you wish to boot from. If wanting OS X to be the default boot drive then set it as first device in the BIOS boot order for the hard drives in its bootable devices selection then you would need the F12 to be able to boot windows when you start it up.

I recently updated to 10.5.6 which seems to have stopped sleep working, also shutdown takes a good minute to complete, and often fans are still left running

I've used the post_patch.sh that is in version 4.4 of this posts guide, and when that didn't work I used the post patch from here...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77165

I've got Chameleon with EFIv9 and JMicron controller kext - if that makes a difference

If possible I would, naturally, like to keep using the vanilla kernel

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I am running 10.5.4 leopard server. Everything works but I cant update to 10.5.6 and I would love to try this method the OSInstall.mpkg must be in a different location on the server disc as there is no system dir. I have a ds4 used 321 to boot and install. Any help would be lovely, I couldnt switch back to retail leopard now that I have my dns, vpn, and file sharing working.

Thanks in advance

im having a problem even getting the installer to go through im using the boot132 to get my retail version of 10.5.6 to run but the problem is and ive searched everywhere for a solution is it goes to the apple logo, grey screen with spinning circle on bottom, and after about 2 min i get that O with a line through it and it just hangs, ive searched everywhere and if anyone could help me fix this it would be very much apreciated.

my specs are,

Asus P5N-D motherboard

2g of ram

2 Western Digital sata HD

1 Samsung IDE HD

LG dvd drive

Nvidia 9800GTX gfx card

P.S the weird thing is is i can get JaS OS 10.4.8 to install on my Samsung ide drive no problem...

I have similar specs as you. Look in my sig.

The problem you are running into is dealing with your mobo and the fact that retail doesn't play all too nice from the actual disk with it (from my experience). Since you have multiple hard drives and are able to get a successful JaS install; get the JaS install up and follow the guide for installing from another drive (create ISO of retail, install OS, install combo update, etc).

The problem is, you really need to modify the patch for your specific rig's needs (or you could manually copy things). For your board, you need to make sure you are running the AppleNForceATA kext, NForceLAN kext, etc. Shoot me a PM with your email, and I will send you a copy of all the kexts that got me a perfect install as well as my modified script. As for your 9800GTX, you will need to research that one on your own.

For the AppleNForceATA, you currently have 2 choices. The one that supports 4GB+ RAM, but you can't use SATA DVD drive (PATA should be fine, but I have not tested this myself); or the one that lets you use SATA DVD drives (with the exception of writing capabilities), but gives you KP's when using 4GB+ RAM.

@LTL

Where did you get your version of EFIStudio? Your version is the only one that has had my GFX card listed the way it is here, and is the only one that has worked to get me QE/CI.

That being said, not all is perfect. I have QE/CI, but I experience a jumpy mouse a good bit and I believe it is video card related (i.e. screensaver is also jumpy, WoW is occasionally, etc). Any ideas on this? I am running dual monitors, but this happens even with a single monitor. I have also even tried cpus=1 kernel flag, and get the same. Thanks for everything you have done here.

I have QE/CI, but I experience a jumpy mouse a good bit and I believe it is video card related (i.e. screensaver is also jumpy, WoW is occasionally, etc). Any ideas on this? I am running dual monitors, but this happens even with a single monitor. I have also even tried cpus=1 kernel flag, and get the same. Thanks for everything you have done here.

Running 10.5.6? If so the try either removing the AppleUpsteamUserClient.kext I think it is called or installing this version of the Disabler.kext which has it blacklisted thus preventing it from loading.

Disabler.kext.zip

Running 10.5.6? If so the try either removing the AppleUpsteamUserClient.kext I think it is called or installing this version of the Disabler.kext which has it blacklisted thus preventing it from loading.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The mouse is super smooth now. I just backed up the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext and removed it. Rebooted, and voila, silky smooth mouse movement.

Next up (and last bit for perfection), get the AppleNForceATA.kext to support SATA DVD and 4GB+ RAM. Right now, you sacrifice one for the other.

:robot: SETUP: mobo P5W, CPU E4400, 4GB RAM, 2- 500GB SATA drives, Nvidia 8600 GTS 256MB, PCI-Firewire-USB card, Pioneer 109.

Must have done something wrong with my initial setup Kalyway that my ethernet ports stopped working. Tried re-install after a fresh format of the drive. I thought the mobo may have went south. Looked at your directions and figured I'd try that. Followed your directions and it work beautifully. I removed the new kaly drive (IDE) from the system. Just using the two drive setup and everything works except the onboard firewire never did. It get power to a firewire card reader but never reads; hence I had to buy the combo PCI-X card. The board was used.

Thanks,

Lou Cioccio

:)

OK, so I thought I was close to a perfect install. Having an nForce based mobo, I have had a slight up hill battle. I have QE/CI, on board ethernet, audio, and 4GB+ RAM (with the exception of SATA DVD with this particular AppleNForceATA.kext). I also thought firewire was working too, but I was wrong.

I am running 98% or so vanilla by following/modifying this guide, and up to this point haven't had problems with firewire. That was until I decided to make this machine my main and started using my firewire drives heavily.

The issue is occasional freezes with transferring files, watching videos, or anything putting the firewire drives to use (including using a firewire iSight). These freezes are not KP's and they are not complete freezes. My mouse and keyboard become unusable, and sometimes the front most process freezes (but not always), but everything else continues on with no problems (i.e., if I were copying a file in the background, it continues to copy...even if it involves one of the FW drives).

No matter what, I have to hard reboot. This happens within 30 seconds of using FW or an hour. I cannot pin point any patterns about it.

All my research leads me to posts concerning "reverting to full secure" logs concerning firewire. I too have this same message in my system logs when I boot, but it apparently doesn't initially effect my FW drive access.

Any ideas?

All my research leads me to posts concerning "reverting to full secure" logs concerning firewire. I too have this same message in my system logs when I boot, but it apparently doesn't initially effect my FW drive access.

Any ideas?

Only one that message is not your problem I get it every boot, I have moved hundreds of gb at a time to my firewire drives for many months I used it for my audio and never had a problem. Not that this does you much good but your wasting your time on that message and people thinking/blaming it, it is the chipset used that causes the problems.

GREAT GUIDE

few NEWBIE question :)

1) when i install the utility install how i format the drive? like the retail?

2) after done the install of the retail, when it resets, what do i need to do to be sure that the retail install is up and not the utility, should i disconnect the drive? and that make me ask, if the retail is up automatically how do i boot up the utility install for maintain

THANKS

Hi, I just installed 10.5.6 w/the combo update useing the v4.4 Guide. Worked great so far -_-

I've just installed chameleon and rebooting to my new install, but im stuck at the grey loading screen with the white "no smoking sign".

Is this a known issue and is there an fix to it?

thanks Mel

Edit: Just did a F8 boot w/ -f -v and the error is "Still waithing for root device"

I know I've seen this error accur elswhere on this forum, so I'll keep browsing.

Edit2: So, now I managed to get past the error by patching a different bootloader by Munky(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330)

This might have screwed things up a bit though, who knows...

got to the screen where MacOS will indentify my keyboard, so again I will browse som more ^_^

Hello,

I have a EP35-DS3R and used the HowTo to install MacOSX 10.5.6, i have a extra, Sweex 8169 networkcard, so i can use AFP. All working fine, except from this (Terminal) error:

$ diskutil list
2009-04-05 14:54:30.497 diskutil[1090:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
2009-04-05 14:54:30.699 DiskManagementTool[1091:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I keep getting the Error: 35 Error. Anybody any idea how to solve this?

Greetinx Atze

I had the same problem and I found a solution through google and iirc it involved replacing part of a IONetworking kext, I'm at work atm so I can't remember exactly what I did but I'll have a look when I get home

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Leopard retail up and running, with everything working including sleep and onboard LAN restart on wake so I decided to try my luck with Leopard Server. I installed a fresh 10.5.6 Retail on a freshly formatted disk, installed Server package then updated to Leopard Server 10.5.6 on my macbook.

I connected the drive to my server, installed chameleon and required kexts then rebooted in verbose. The system won't boot and I get this error:

ALF ALERT: sockwall_cntl_updaterules ctl_enqueuedata rts err 55

Can anyone tell me what kext is causing this error?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Before I buy myself a new HDD i want to check a few things... I have a retail disc that i can put on .iso and mount. will the 4.4 tools and the guide at top make everything boot like my prepatch disc has done for last year? is it faster? I have asus p5dh deluxe with x1600 graphics. all worked out of box with prepatch disc all i had to do was use an installer to get graphics, working on 10.5.5 atm. will it work the same using retail? most importantly.. is it worth all the hassle over prepatched discs apart from getting the ability to direct update, what else would i gain?