Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Hi everybody and thanks for this guide,

I followed the latest 4.4 guide and did the install from a MacBook Pro on another drive. I put the drive in the PC and I get stuck at the Apple Logo (I get that forbidden sign). From what I've read so far I might need a special kext for my mobo but I don't know where to get that or if that is the problem.

When I boot with "-v" I get the "Still waiting for root device" error.

My configuration:

ASUS P5Q SE Motherboard, LGA775, Intel P45 + ICH10, Dual DDR2, FSB1600, PCI-E2.0, Gigabit LAN, ATX

Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0 GHz

4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

1 SATA HDD

1 SATA Optical Drive

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bash-3.2# dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

1+0 records in

1+0 records out

400 bytes transferred in 0.022213 secs (18007 bytes/sec)

bash-3.2#

The last command gives me

dd: /dev/disk0: Resource busy

Am I stuffed?

EDIT: I ignored the message and went on to following your guide to the letter. However the system still boots from my iPC disk and not from "Macintosh"

:-(

EDIT 2: The only thing I noticed really (apart from the quoted error) was the "UPDATING BOOT CACHES" on reboot - which did not go away even after 30 minutes had passed so I performed a hard reboot via the reset button. Any clues?

The last command gives me

dd: /dev/disk0: Resource busy

Am I stuffed?

The disk needs to unmounted for that command to work.

EDIT: I ignored the message and went on to following your guide to the letter. However the system still boots from my iPC disk and not from "Macintosh"

:-(

Does it end up booting to the hard drive this way? If so get the Chameleon installer so you can put it on the drive it does not have to unmount the disk before installing or try running it from a USB stick if it boots to the dvd.

EDIT 2: The only thing I noticed really (apart from the quoted error) was the "UPDATING BOOT CACHES" on reboot - which did not go away even after 30 minutes had passed so I performed a hard reboot via the reset button. Any clues?

None.

Got my 10.5.6 retail to work (almost perfectly - you'll see why) on my GA-EP35C-DS3R following this guide so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

One issue I am having is that whenever I try to plug in my external USB hdd I get the infamous grey veil of death and I'm asked to reset the pc.

I came across some posts that mention two solutions - USB mount fix and IOUSBFamily fix.

Which one should I choose?

Please note that both my keyboard and mouse are usb devices and they obviously work beautifully.

EDIT: A second nuisance I have is that the system does not automatically boot from the OSX hdd (which is the only hdd on the system anyway - no other partitions whatsoever) and I have to hit enter to boot OSX. Which means that when I get home and press the power button I can't just walk away and return to my beautiful desktop, but I have to wait for it to get to the boot prompt to press enter. Which is annoying :/

EDIT2: An other thing is that there is a bloody wi-fi Ralink app that runs on login EVERY TIME - even though I have SPECIFICALLY unchecked the bloody "launch at login" button under user preferences.

Hi all (sorry for my english),

I've installed iDeneb v1.4 on my PC(GA-P35C-DS3R) and every things seems ok so i decided to try your guide (v.4.4).

At Step 2 when i try to install (open OSInstall.mpkg) onto my Macintosh labeled drive there is something wrong !!! the installation process is too fast (zero files are written) and after when launch (Step 3) the Combo updater 10.5.6 it fails (Error: The destination is wrong :) )

Someone can help me, Thanks

How did you install it? Any kext moves or script launches?

LTL

We are waiting for 10.5.6-10.5.7 updating )

Installed from another HD, reapplied post patch, rebooted.

thanks man!!!! you saved my system after unsuccessful update directly from Software update. it crashed on 40% installation progress.

I just boot from another hdd, download combo update 10.5.7. installed it on my crashed system disk and applied post-patch. reboot and voila! 10.5.7 now with all my old data! MANY MANY THANKS!!! ;)

Is there a specific reason to install from another hd?

thanks

P.s.:

I have two HD with 10.5.6, one is for testing purpose, and I was thinking to boot on that HD, install 10.5.7 apply postpatch and cross my fingers.

If all will be fine I will apply the same method on my "regular" HD.

It worked for me too :(

Only a strange thing: when I've tested this on my "test HD" it has worked flawless.

Instead, on my "Regular HD" I've had to run EFI studio to set the Graphic card, and the postpatch give me the "can't determine UUID" error.

I've to investigate on this.

However the system is up and running fine.

I have the GA EP45-DS3 mobo and a q6600 cpu I used this guide to upgrade to 10.5.7. Got a KP first boot but found out if I booted safe - x it worked. I´m on latest chameleon.

My cpu is behaving a bit strange though cause all four cores sometimes are working even if I´m only surfing the internet. This should mean no heavy cpu load at all so I´m a bit confused here. Also Temperature Monitor shows the cores are getting hotter than they used to be and the over all performance when I work in Logic seems to have decreased some.

I read some people say you should fix your systemprofiler to avoid conflicts. Among all the tips I found trying to read up on this some hint points to prevent the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext using a script to not get loaded while you install the update. I did´nt know that before so I have in in my extras. Is it safe just to delete it and what the heck is it for in the first place?

Anybody know?

As far as the 10.5.7 well I say stay on 10.5.6 cause it´s what have worked the best so far with my gear.

Edit:

Seems the screensaver distorts the graphics after the update, menues are emty/you can´t see them and text looks like it´s in chineese. I have two 7300gs 512mb pcie videocards.

I´m deleting the AppleTyMCEDriver.kex now to see what happends, fingres crossed hehe.

Well I´m upp running again and the sytemprofiler looks the same so I don`t know but it seems it that kext does´nt do anything important. Still wating if it starts to smell funny though hehe.

Just running osx86Tools and no more I get all four cores working and temps up to 48 Celcius, this is strange. Man go back to 10.5.6 is a pain in the but got to much to reinstall. Well that´s life, I have a CCC of the old install but got pretty much new stuff now now so I´ll keep that one till things really mess up.

It worked for me too ;)

Only a strange thing: when I've tested this on my "test HD" it has worked flawless.

However the system is up and running fine.

Did you use the Combo Updater or the Delta?

I've got 2 HDDs, one for test and the other for production. I attempted to install the 10.5.7 Delta Updater on the test drive from the test drive. Got a KP about 30% of the way through.

Should I try to install the Combo Updater on the test HDD from my production HDD?

Thanks!

AFAIK that's the only way.

Good Luck

Thanks - just FYI I was able to install the 10.5.7 Combo update to my Test HDD from my Prod HDD. I'm not sure why, perhaps rust, I couldn't run the post-patch.sh script on my Test HHD after that. So I deleted the Don't Steal MacOS and AppleIntelPowerManagement kexts (sorry if spelling is wrong) from the Test HDD Extensions folder, and made sure that all the other kexts LTL provided in the v4.4 package were present.

My Test HDD booted up okay, but the Hardware Profiler Summary could not gather any information for About This Mac, although the detail information below it displayed correctly.

Lastly, I used EFI Studio to apply the string for my graphics card, and my monitor then displayed correctly and the Hardware Profile Summary displayed.

I've used the 10.5.7 Test HDD for several days and it seems stable.

• 2 weeks later...

mobo GA-EP45-DS3R

Great guide!!

I have successfully installed, retail Leopard 10.5 updated to 10.5.5 and also 10.5.6 in my Hack Pro (see specs in my signature).

After using the post-patch.sh, chameleon and EFI Strings, everything was working except the SOUND.

I had to use the HDAenabler and HDA kext files that i used in my last successful installation and a Kext Helper to inject them correctly. I couldn't manage to use the "HDA and Dump" files provided in this post. However my sound now works great. I am using the optical output in the board watching DVDs in 5.1 and sound is awesome!!

The files i used are posted below.

To use them, just open the Kext helper; using kext helper select the two remaining files; wait for confirmation and that should be it. Reboot and check your system. This worked for me.

Apple HDA kext:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

HDA Enabler:

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Kext Helper:

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

I have checked sleep, ethernet, and even Bonjour, they all work.

Now my only problem, is when i switch the computer off, the system shuts down, but the fans inside still spin and the power stays on.

I have seen some fixes for this, floating around the internet and tried them all with no success.

If anyone could help me with this problem.

I need help!!!

Thanks guys

mobo GA-EP45-DS3R

Now my only problem, is when i switch the computer off, the system shuts down, but the fans inside still spin and the power stays on.

I have seen some fixes for this, floating around the internet and tried them all with no success.

If anyone could help me with this problem.

I need help!!!

Thanks guys

Try the .kext attached.

OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext.zip

Try the .kext attached.

Thanks MacUser2525!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the kext with no success, now the sleep is not working either.

Can you explain how to place the kernel in the right place?

Thanks for your help.

It's well appreciated

Thanks MacUser2525!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the kext with no success, now the sleep is not working either.

Can you explain how to place the kernel in the right place?

Thanks for your help.

It's well appreciated

The kext helper you already have should have done that for you if not then like any .kext it goes in the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory then chown -R 0:0 ... and chmod -R 0755 ... of course replacing the ... with the path/name of the new .kext to correct the permissions and then.

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
rm -r /System/Library/Caches
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

To delete the caches now when you reboot hit the F8 key to get the Hit any key screen, hit a key you will be at the Darwin boot loader where you type in then enter key -f to force the reloading/caching of all .kext on the system.