Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Guys- I've got a silly problem that's more annoying than anything else. I have a system built but I find that to boot, I require to have in the DVD drive either a Kalyway DVD or boot-132 disc. It'll ask to boot off the DVD, but I don't hit anything, then the system boots just find off the hard drive.

I don't know why this would be. Anyone have any ideas they can share?

s.d.rose

Thankyou soo much!!! An excellent guide! Dual-booting now with Vista and 10.5.6! :D

Btw, GUID is now supported by EasyBCD 2.0 (its a beta, but I have had no issues with it so far!)

Guys- I've got a silly problem that's more annoying than anything else. I have a system built but I find that to boot, I require to have in the DVD drive either a Kalyway DVD or boot-132 disc. It'll ask to boot off the DVD, but I don't hit anything, then the system boots just find off the hard drive.

I don't know why this would be. Anyone have any ideas they can share?

s.d.rose

Have you installed pc-efiv9? You can also install Chameleon on your OS X install partition and it should boot without a DVD, good luck!

PC-EFIv9 is included in the v4.4 files package in the advanced guide, for chameleon, just google it and u should find it! :)

Ok, thank you for helping me with the PC-efi v9. Now, I want to know, do I have to install it to both my Macintosh volume as well as my utility_boot volume? (following, of course, how LTL suggests to have 2 boot partitions, one for normal work, and one to use to install OS updates ...)

thanks!

-sdr

No one with similar problem?

I have a EP35-DS4, and sleep was working with 10.5.5.

After the update, "sleep" reboots the machine.

I'm looking for a solution.

Since it works with 10.5.5, I do have an option to go back to it.

But, I'd like to solve the sleep problem and move on.

I have a EP35-DS4, and sleep was working with 10.5.5.

After the update, "sleep" reboots the machine.

I'm looking for a solution.

Since it works with 10.5.5, I do have an option to go back to it.

But, I'd like to solve the sleep problem and move on.

System Options, Power, Options, check: after power failure start automatically!

System Options, Power, Options, check: after power failure start automatically!

I checked the "Restart after a power failure" in "Energy Saver" system preference's "Option" tab, as you said.

Now, instant comeback from "Sleep" does work.

So, thanks.

I also tried "pmset -a hibernatemode 3".

This is interesting to me.

After the BIOS bootup process is done, and comes to the boot loader.

It says "starting hibernate" and then "Wake kernel".

It is trying to come back from the hibernate state.

This almost works. the machine comes back, the screen flashes, and everything is *ALMOST* normal. Only thing not working is the keyboard. I suspect there is some interaction between the OS and BIOS, as reconnecting keyboard to different USB port does not help at all. (First I thought that the keyboard broke. It comes back after a reboot.)

USB prober does not show the keyboard regardless of which USB port I use. My guess is that the BIOS is stealing the keyboard. You need to tell the BIOS to let go of keyboard. For this, I tried disabling "USB Keyboard support" in the BIOS, but no avail.

Since it's so close to working, it would be real nice it really works.

Hi here,

Just tried the new LTL Installation and works great here.

Although I'm having one issue regarding my keyboard (and the keyboard only). After a while not using my hackintosh (eg. about an hour or so) my keyboard seems to go into standby. The weird thing is that the mouse is attached to the keyboard continues working, only my keyboard doesn't respond. After changing the USB-Port, the keyboard works again. It may be an issuse with the new LTL4.4 post-install kext-package, because with my last installation (LTL4.2) this issue didn't accure.

The weird thing is, that there are no konsole-messages regarding this problem. Leopard seems to thing all is well...

Has anyone else got a similar problem?

Cheers,

Maroder

Hi,

I am trying to follow LTL's guide v4.4 and am running to a problem when starting up. The system seems to hang with no kernel panic. I am trying to install Retail 10.5.6 onto a USB drive formatted with 1 GUID partition. Looking through system.log, it looks like I have 2 problems that I am spotting. Here are the 2 problems:

1) Getting _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 all over the place. I don't know if this is due to a problem recognizing my network card or it's because I haven't gone through the final installation process where they ask for registration info and names the machine. I tried to add an EFI string to com.apple.Boot.plist, but it didn't seem to work.

2) Right before the system hangs, I am getting this error:

Jan 21 07:44:08 localhost kernel[0]: AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id' property.
Jan 21 07:44:10 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS driver 2.1 [Flags: R/O].
Jan 21 07:44:12 localhost mDNSResponder[23]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Device-000000000000” instead
Jan 21 07:44:12 localhost mDNSResponder[23]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default “Device-000000000000.local” instead
Jan 21 07:44:12 localhost mDNSResponder[23]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Device-000000000000” instead
Jan 21 07:44:12 localhost mDNSResponder[23]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default “Device-000000000000.local” instead
Jan 21 07:44:18 localhost kextd[10]: writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym
Jan 21 07:44:27 localhost backupd-helper[97]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
Jan 21 07:47:08 localhost kernel[0]: disk2s1: 0xe0030003 (UNDEFINED).
Jan 21 07:47:08 localhost kernel[0]: 
Jan 21 07:47:08: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jan 21 07:47:08 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk2s1): ntfs_pagein(): Failed (cluster_pagein_ext(), error 5).
Jan 21 07:47:08 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk2s1): ntfs_page_map(): Failed to read page (error 5).
Jan 21 07:47:08 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk2s1): ntfs_load_upcase(): Failed to load $UpCase from the volume (error 5).  Using NTFS driver default upcase table i
nstead.
Jan 21 07:47:08 localhost kernel[0]: NTFS volume name , version 3.1.

Any suggestions pointers would be greatly appreciated.

My specs:

MB: Asus P5K-Pro bios 1202

Video: 2x8600GT working with iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

Ethernet: Marvell 88E5056

Chipset: ICH9R

Drives: 2xSATA, 1 USB

From reading your boot log, it's possible that the drive has not been formatted properly (use Disk Utility's erase on the device itself, not just the partition, or repartition the whole thing), or the boot partition is missing. Did you install EFI or ChameleonEFI after the installation completed?

Try the following:

- Remove any spaces and numbers in the USB drive name

- Hook up the drive to USB1, as labelled on your motherboard -- it's usually the bottom-most slot on the rear panel.

- Install the patched version of IOUSBMassStorageDevice (something to that effect) kext onto your USB drive.

Good luck, and keep us posted! I have a P5K series motherboard as well, and may make use of booting via USB drive someday. ;-)

ForestGuardian,

My drive name has no spaces or number. It is all alphabets. Moved the drive as you suggested and also installed PCGenUSBEHCI.kext. The extension was recommended by some from hackintosh IRC when I asked about IOUSBMassStorageClass. However it still didn't work. I'm getting the same errors, plus an error for PCGenUSBEHCI. Maybe there is another kext that I need to use.

ForestGuardian,

My drive name has no spaces or number. It is all alphabets. Moved the drive as you suggested and also installed PCGenUSBEHCI.kext. The extension was recommended by some from hackintosh IRC when I asked about IOUSBMassStorageClass. However it still didn't work. I'm getting the same errors, plus an error for PCGenUSBEHCI. Maybe there is another kext that I need to use.

I'm still bothered by the NTFS messages on your boot log. Boot into a working installation of MacOSX and use the fdisk command in Terminal to take a look at that USB HD's partitions. Alternatively, you can start up Windows, and bring up your system/hardware/storage manager. Make sure nothing is left except for the MacOS Extended Journaled partition(s), and (sometimes) a small, unnamed partition, about 200MB, that's almost always hidden from the Mac desktop. If there's something else that's not supposed to be there, you'll have to reformat the drive completely.

As for the USB-related kexts, have you tried those kexts while booting off your main or a utility partition? From my experience, PCGenUSBEHCI can be trouble (and is not needed), especially if EHCI Handoff is enabled in BIOS (I have mine disabled). If it's not a kext, it's possible that it's caused by the bootloader being unable to distinguish or call the USB drive properly. If you're able to start up and work fully off a SATA hard drive, then your installation method should be fine on its own without the need for fiddling with additional kexts.

You may have to manually edit the boot device ID within the bootload scripts. I know there's a way to do this. It was a method of using Boot-132 on USB flash drives so people wouldn't have to keep using the cd (before the Chameleon package came along). By default, it's probably looking for a SATA/IDE HD, and it doesn't know what to do about the USB HD... But I'm grasping at straws here regarding boot id's. It's very unlikely that this applies to your situation. Booting OSx86 via USB hard drives is often not this troublesome. They even have a way of getting Leopard to boot from flash drives now :D

I tried this but get "still waiting for root device"...any thoughts?

i was able to use a flash memory usb with iatkos5i to install osx86 and to be able to boot into single user mode and copy files - then after i got iatkos5i installed on one partiton - i was able to boot to that partition and do copies and stuff on installs on other partitons ( that is my utility partiton osx86 bootup )

if you don't have the ability to make a utility osx86 boot up or if you can't boot from flash usb osx86 install - then i suppose you have to figure a way to get the kext files on the cd that you boot from

i remember getting that ' waiting for root device ' message and i searched and tried all kinds of stuff but i think the thing that finally worked is

i was able to copy dsmos.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions folder of the new install

then i booted the new install into single user mode -

press f8 to get to boot options then type

-s and hit enter

then after some scrolling text up the screen - it will stop

from the console in single user mode - type the info that you see on the screen

/sbin/fsck -fy - hit enter

wait a bit until it is finished then type

/sbin/mount -uw / - hit enter

that is so you can write to the drive - then type

cd /System/Library/Extensions - hit enter

and then type

chmod -R 755 dsmos.kext - hit enter

chown -R 755 dsmos.kext - hit enter

kextload -v dsmos.kext - hit enter

then type

cd .. - hit enter

to get back to the /System/Library folder and type

rm -rf Extensions.mkext - hit enter

then type

reboot - hit enter

i don't remember for sure if that was what fixed it or if it was loading Natit.kext in the same manner - I think the Natit.kext was what i needed for the gma950 video on my toshiba u205 satellite notebook

later i found that if i use the uinstaller and put the efi-9 and chameleon and the default essential kext that are in that prog on the drive that i could remove the dsmos.kext ...

give it a try and see if it works -

ForestGuardian,

I was able to install the retail DVD onto an SATA with minimum kext replacements and EFI strings. My USB drive seems to be working as well. I did change the installation method slightly form LTL's guide. Instead of open the OSInstall.mpkg, I used boot123 to run the install off of an disk with the retail image. I booted into the fresh retail install and applied 10.5.6. I then applied the replacements/additional kexts, EFI Strings and bootloader.

I didn't do these changes very scientifically, so I am not sure if it was the move to the SATA drives or the change in installation method. Once, I get my install stable, I will try to install onto my USB drive again, in a more controlled environment.

Thanks for you help.

I'm planning a retail install (purchased leopard 10.5.4) but first things first, any suggestions/coments on the hardware prior to MacOS install?

motherboard: ga-ep45-ds3l

BiosF9 (running AHCI mode, 64 bit do I need to run bios in 32 bit for install??)

e4600: CPU

LG GH22ls30: DVD burner

WD7k32m sata2: harddrive (Disk0 formatted NTFS w/Vista 64 installed)

WD3200KSRTLSata2: harddrive (Disk1 GUID unallocated)

2Gx2 cors twin2x4096: ram

Palit NE/860ts: Vidio card

netgear GA311: ethernet adapter

I'm planning a retail install (purchased leopard 10.5.4) but first things first, any suggestions/coments on the hardware prior to MacOS install?

motherboard: ga-ep45-ds3l

BiosF9 (running AHCI mode, 64 bit do I need to run bios in 32 bit for install??)

e4600: CPU

LG GH22ls30: DVD burner

WD7k32m sata2: harddrive (Disk0 formatted NTFS w/Vista 64 installed)

WD3200KSRTLSata2: harddrive (Disk1 GUID unallocated)

2Gx2 cors twin2x4096: ram

Palit NE/860ts: Vidio card

netgear GA311: ethernet adapter

The list looks fine to me, but always make sure beforehand.

Take a look at the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

You will most likely need a SATA optical drive, not IDE.

Also search the forums for guides on installation and/or kext updates for your motherboard. Leopard is 64-bit capable, and there are kexts to support that in an OSx86 build, especially if you plan on using 4GB or more of RAM.

Read this guide as well:

OSX86 Guide for 10.5!

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure about the DVD burner I have, newegg doesn't say it's an optical drive but it is sata and will run lightscribe, per wiki: LightScribe is an optical disc recording technology that utilizes specially coated recordable CD and DVD media to produce laser-etched labels with text or graphics, as opposed to stick-on labels and printable discs.

If necessary, I will look for a optic DVD from the HCL.

Also search the forums for guides on installation and/or kext updates for your motherboard. Leopard is 64-bit capable, and there are kexts to support that in an OSx86 build, especially if you plan on using 4GB or more of RAM.

Read this guide as well:

OSX86 Guide for 10.5!

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure about the DVD burner I have, newegg doesn't say it's an optical drive but it is sata and will run lightscribe, per wiki: LightScribe is an optical disc recording technology that utilizes specially coated recordable CD and DVD media to produce laser-etched labels with text or graphics, as opposed to stick-on labels and printable discs.

If necessary, I will look for a optic DVD from the HCL.

When he says "optical drive" he is referring to your CD/DVD drive :)

Probably you´re good to go, just try and see. I recently installed Kalys Leo 10.5.1 on an IDE HDD on my GA EP45-DS3 so as long as you set your bios to IDE I bet an IDE DVD burner will work to. Though I have retail Leo 10.5.5 running on it from before and this was just a test I did.

Thanks, I also noted we are using the same motherboard. And my "optical drive" is sata.

I have downloaded what I hope is a good copy of Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel AMD. I burned a DVD from the downloads which contains the following:

1. Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel AMD file folder ( inside is a Kalyway 10.5.2 image file (3.65 GB), ADD kext DVD file folder, and a Kalyway readme txt file

2. CD boot.pcefi.debug file

3. Boot Help txt file

Does this sound like the complete package????

Probably you´re good to go, just try and see. I recently installed Kalys Leo 10.5.1 on an IDE HDD on my GA EP45-DS3 so as long as you set your bios to IDE I bet a DVD burner will work to. Though I have retail Leo 10.5.5 running on it from before and this was just a test I did.

Read this guide as well:

OSX86 Guide for 10.5!

Good luck.

I have the EP45-DS3R running BIOS F10 and it works as well.

You will need SATA DVD

What are you talking about HPET? 32 or 64? doesn't matter

Look at my hardware, don't try to recreate the wheel

Just a little noob question I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3 rev 1.0 can I still follow the noob guide to get my board fully working under MacOSX with a retail disc from Leopard? Thanks!

yes noob ;)

I have two (= 4 displays) of these in my hack. I´m still on retail Leo 10.5.5 though, for videodriver I use a Nvinject.kext I modified a little. OE, QuartzGL and rotation works. I use chamelon.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nVIDIA-GeForce-7300-...1742.m153.l1262

My rig

GA EP45-DS3

7300 gs 512 mb pcie * 2

Sata 2 HDD

Sata DVD

Q6600 cpu

6 gig 800 mhz memory

550 w psu