Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

As always, a great procedure! Except I seem to have lost internal firewire on my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. I have a firewire card on order to shove into a PCI slot to take care of it, so...so far so good!

With different MOBOS, i'm sure that there is a kext you are going to have to tweak

:D

Can I run combo update directly from my 10.5.5 install then install the v4.4 kext? And do i need to install EFIv9 or can I still use Chameleon and if I do need EFIv9, can I install it over Chameleon? And just to make sure...I won't need the DSDT patch right?

I would download the update, go into your util partition, install the update, then install EFIv9 - just install it right over your previous bootloader, and don't need DSDT patch

Make you life easy!

With different MOBOS, i'm sure that there is a kext you are going to have to tweak

;)

I would download the update, go into your util partition, install the update, then install EFIv9 - just install it right over your previous bootloader, and don't need DSDT patch

Make you life easy!

In this case should I download the combo or the normal update? Also, I wont need to install the v4.4 kexts?

Mwah... I upgraded my 10.5.5 on my GA-P35C-DS3R with postpatch 4.4 and I installed EFI v9 according to the '24th december update'... No errors during the postpatch or EFI v9 install, but when I restart, my Hackintosh leaves me with a 'Still waiting for root device'... I already tried other disk-controller related kexts, but no luck until now!

Back to 10.5.5 I guess.. long live SuperDuper!

Does anyone have it (10.5.6) already running on a GA-P35C-DS3R ??

Klaafstra99

In this case should I download the combo or the normal update? Also, I wont need to install the v4.4 kexts?

Combo updaters are only good if you are at .2 and need to get to .6 SOOO if you are at .5, you only need the update (not combo version)

get the 4.4 kit, you are going to need to install EFIv9

GL

Mwah... I upgraded my 10.5.5 on my GA-P35C-DS3R with postpatch 4.4 and I installed EFI v9 according to the '24th december update'... No errors during the postpatch or EFI v9 install, but when I restart, my Hackintosh leaves me with a 'Still waiting for root device'... I already tried other disk-controller related kexts, but no luck until now!

Back to 10.5.5 I guess.. long live SuperDuper!

Does anyone have it (10.5.6) already running on a GA-P35C-DS3R ??

Klaafstra99

You might want to investigate your chipset and search around for the correct kext to handle it.

Check out the 3 new kext in Karaakeha1 guide, easy to add to my postpatch:

AppleAHCIPort.Kext Build 31 (ver 1.5.2) Adds ID for ICH7 to ICH10

IOAHCIFamily.kext Build 294 (ver 1.5.0) shows SATA drive as internal

JMicronATA.kext latest Vanilla just added Jmicron ids

Combo updaters are only good if you are at .2 and need to get to .6 SOOO if you are at .5, you only need the update (not combo version)

get the 4.4 kit, you are going to need to install EFIv9

GL

You might want to investigate your chipset and search around for the correct kext to handle it.

Check out the 3 new kext in Karaakeha1 guide, easy to add to my postpatch:

AppleAHCIPort.Kext Build 31 (ver 1.5.2) Adds ID for ICH7 to ICH10

IOAHCIFamily.kext Build 294 (ver 1.5.0) shows SATA drive as internal

JMicronATA.kext latest Vanilla just added Jmicron ids

Are these kexts necessary? Have you included them in the new v4.4? Also, can I install the updates using my current install or do I need a utility partition, since I don't have one. Thanks.

Hi There,

i followed your v4.4 advanced guide and installed kalyway on my external usb drive

booted into it -> format my other H.D with guid (labelled it Macintosh), created an image of my leopard dvd, upgraded it to 10.5.6 using the combo, ran the scripts from the v.4 folder and installed the EFI studio, now when booting up, i get the darwin boot up and imetailet reset the PC..any idea (im running gigabyte ex58-ud5 with an i7 CPU)

thanks in advance

Are these kexts necessary? Have you included them in the new v4.4? Also, can I install the updates using my current install or do I need a utility partition, since I don't have one. Thanks.

My point has always been that my guide is a framework and you must figure out which files work best for your hardware. While kext x,y,z may work best with my rig... kext x,b,z may work best for yours.

So you need to go out and try different kext files until you find the ones that work for you... like I and lots of others have already done. Once you have your kext files that work... hang on to them!

Hi,

it's working now using the digital_dream pre/post script

the only thing that is not working is my zotac 9800GT 1GB..any suggested nvidia package ?

My point has always been that my guide is a framework and you must figure out which files work best for your hardware. While kext x,y,z may work best with my rig... kext x,b,z may work best for yours.

So you need to go out and try different kext files until you find the ones that work for you... like I and lots of others have already done. Once you have your kext files that work... hang on to them!

Okay, I have made some silly n00b-esqe replies in the forums, so please ignore the previous.

I am trying to follow the install method with the 123 boot CD and a retail install.

My first question is about using onboard graphics versus a PCI card. I have a MSI 8500GT 256 mb. If I set the motherboard to boot using PGE/PCI, when I boot the retail, I get the apple with a little no sign (the circle with x through it). This is using Fuzy's boot CD for my board ASUS P5E-VM HDMI. Is there a way to boot into the retail using my PCI card initially?

When I set it in the bios as IGP, I can get the correct boot and install with the retail. So my second question is, do you install Chameleon before the 10.5.6 update or not? And what is the point of the pos.patch.sh? And lastly, when I try installing before, if I then switch the BIOS settings back to PGE/PCI, I have problems on the boot where it goes to the apply and then gives me the big screen error that I need to reboot.

Again, I apologize for my n00b-ness and hope someone can help. I just want to get this bad boy working and stable. Thanks for all the hard work so far.

No Audio? solved

my 4.3 install and bam, it worked with no DSDT! haha... So I tested that again, tweaked things and walla I'm done with 4.4! and your upgraded to 10.5.6!. I have not updated any kext in 4.4 and my system is running normally with Vanilla kernel.

I didn't get my audio (rme-multiface, same mobo) working and reinstalled almost everything and changed dozen kexts, but no result. And i've never had any trouble with audio on my hackintosh from tiger to leopard. Finally i disabled the dsdt fix, and Whoa! everyhing works perfect! So you might wanna avoid dsdt.

just my 2 cents

Worked pretty good for me, altough on my GA-G33-DS3R which has an ALC889A I get NO Audio, System Information says 0x1458a002 is available, but everything remains silent. (I'm using a 8800 GTS for video) Everything else (video etc.) seems to be OK so far.

From my old install, I still have a working Kalyway 10.5.5 with Audio working fine - is it possible to copy over the kexts from the Kalyway install into this new Vanilla install? Do I need to modify something to make it work? HELP! :)

bigpoppa206 do you have any hd connected to the easy backup orange serial ata ports

when i put hd on mine i see them in windows but not in osx im at 10.5.6 thanks

Don't forget, when you setup the raid on the orange ports to go into your BIOS after POST to Advanced > DH Feature Page and set EZ Backup Mode RAID Change to enabled. It will survive one reset which is what you want. Also your raid will be mirrored, RAID1. If you want striped (RAID0), get the manual for this board and change the jumpers on the motherboard.

HOWEVER, I tried the orange ports once, never did get it quite right and my RAID was really S L O W! I have another P5W that I use for something else, (not a Hackintosh) and here is the procedure I used to set up a RAID using the Intel controller that has been rock solid:

1. With machine off/unplugged, of course, install SATA drives... do the standalone SATA drive on SATA 1. Do the RAID 0 pair on SATA 3 and SATA 4 connections off of ICH7R (intel).

2. On startup hit DEL to enter CMOS Setup... Then..... MAIN --> IDE Configuration --> Configure SATA as RAID. F10 to save and exit and reboot.

3. On reboot, when the Intel Matrix Storage info comes up, CTRL I to enter Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Create a RAID volume, selecting the two SATA drives connected to SATA 3 and 4 (it won't necessarily tell you which drives are which... so you'll have to figure it out by brand, serial number, etc.) Don't include the standalone in the RAID volume. (I have a gift for stating the obvious. :]) Save and exit Intel Storage app.

3. If system doesn't go back into setup, manually reboot and enter CMOS setup again (via DEL on boot). Go to BOOT --> HARD DISK DRIVES and pick your standalone SATA drive as the 1st Drive. Exit this selection and while still in BOOT, select BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY and make sure that the standalone SATA is selected as the 1st BOOT DEVICE (and have your CD drive as the 2nd BOOT DEVICE). You should now be ready to install your OS.

If OK, open your CD ROM and insert you OS install CD. Then hit F10 to exit CMOS. Your machine should reboot and will hopefully you will see the RAID disk!

(in re-reading those instructions it probably should say to to pick the raid setup as your second boot device if your first is a CD/DVD. You can always F8 to pick your startup disk if you are installing OSX on the raid)

I am currently running a SCSI raid using dual 15k 300gb Futjitsu drives off an LSI SCSI controller I picked up off eBay for pretty cheap. While the boot time is delayed a little, it makes a great BOOTABLE hardware raid that is seen by OSX!

bigpoppa206 thanks for your reply however i was not trying to do a raid just to connect one drive to one of the easy backup port, but i did not explain my self good,

i actually have two p5wdh hack one i have two 500gb hd in a raid0 for data i just wanted to put another drive in my hack 2

but ill just use fire wire or usb,

do you network? on my network if i copy a 4gb file over network it take 4hr with osx and if i copy the same file with windows it only take 18 min

bigpoppa206 thanks for your reply however i was not trying to do a raid just to connect one drive to one of the easy backup port, but i did not explain my self good,

i actually have two p5wdh hack one i have two 500gb hd in a raid0 for data i just wanted to put another drive in my hack 2

but ill just use fire wire or usb,

do you network? on my network if i copy a 4gb file over network it take 4hr with osx and if i copy the same file with windows it only take 18 min

Oh, that's easy! IIRC, remove all the raid jumpers and then you can use the right orange connector as another SATA port.

:( Thanks for your guide and hard work!

I was able to install the retail with 10.5.6 on my T61p (6459cto). Only extensions

I added were

1. AppleACPIPlatform.kext

2. dsmos.kext

3. ACPIPS2nub.kext

4. IOATAFamily.kext - to get CD/DVD drive working

5. ApplePS2Controller.kext

I put (1,2 and 4) in /Extra/Extensions folder and rest in /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Bluetooth doesn't work because of (1). It works with stock version. However, if I use stock

version, I don't get the keyboard/Trackpad.

I am upgrading my system (p5k, radeon 1950xtpro with proper drivers, etc) from iDeneb 10.5.5. The upgrade to 10.5.6 installed successfully, I ran the v4.4 post-patch.sh while booted from my iDeneb DVD which also ran successfully. Then I successfully installed PCI EFIv9 Chameleon Bootloader from the v9netkas folder.

It seems to start booting properly, gives no errors, but eventually just stops doing anything.

I get a couple of warnings about Firewire and some data from JMicronATA (I have a couple IDE drives connected but my boot drive is SATA). The last few lines:

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleIntelPIIXATARoot/CHN0@0/AppleIntelICHxSATA/ATADeviceNub@0/AppleATADiskDiver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/ST31000340AS ST31000340AS/IOGUIDPa
BSD root: disk1s2, major 14, minor 2
jnl: unknown-dev: replay_journal: form:59907584 to: 67439104 (joffset 0x1d1c000)
[misc JMicronATA stuff omitted]
jnl: unknown-dev: journal replay done
USBF:    5.620    AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIM
ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure

At this point there is solid hard drive activity for about 30 seconds without any status messages, then it just stops and nothing else happens. It's not hard-locked-- it will still output status messages when I plug in a USB device. It just doesn't do anything else...

Any ideas?

I am upgrading my system (p5k, radeon 1950xtpro with proper drivers, etc) from iDeneb 10.5.5. The upgrade to 10.5.6 installed successfully, I ran the v4.4 post-patch.sh while booted from my iDeneb DVD which also ran successfully. Then I successfully installed PCI EFIv9 Chameleon Bootloader from the v9netkas folder.

It seems to start booting properly, gives no errors, but eventually just stops doing anything.

I get a couple of warnings about Firewire and some data from JMicronATA (I have a couple IDE drives connected but my boot drive is SATA). The last few lines:

At this point there is solid hard drive activity for about 30 seconds without any status messages, then it just stops and nothing else happens. It's not hard-locked-- it will still output status messages when I plug in a USB device. It just doesn't do anything else...

Any ideas?

Nevermind. I just had to boot once with the update kernel. I assume this is because I had not run the v4.4 post-patch.sh immediately after applying 10.5.6/before rebooting, so the update never fully applied.