Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

I have two (= 4 displays) of these in my hack. I´m still on retail Leo 10.5.5 though, for videodriver I use a Nvinject.kext I modified a little. OE, QuartzGL and rotation works. I use chamelon.

I'm pretty sure that kext is not even needed if you used Universal OSx86 Installer by PCWiz. I have an 8800 GT 512 and everything works fine. I think he's got almost all nvidia cards covered with the installer and it results in one less system hack.

Hi everyone.

I'm having issues on installing 10.5.6.

My System Specs.:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3

Intel E2180

WD Caviar 500GB SATA

SAMSUNG SP251n - 250GB IDE

ATI HD4850 (I know, that there is no solution for this yet...)

Kalyway 10.5.1 (or up to 10.5.4) is running well on my computer, but I decided to get retail 10.5.6 working by this tutorial.

I formatted my SAMSUNG IDE drive as GUID, and installed the retail dvd from terminal. I updated to retail 10.5.6, and did the post-patch, installed the EFI, etc...

But when I try to boot into my new install, I get a kernel panic (problems around ACPI driver), and it says, that I must restart my computer.

Is it possible, that I must use a SATA drive? Or I did something wrong when I changed the post-patch.sh? (I only changed the DESTINATION variable, and removed the kext for HD3870, since I'm not a 3870 user.)

Can somebody tell me what should I change in post-patch.sh to get it work on my configuration? Or should I just use a SATA drive?

Any help is appreciated.

(Oh, and sorry for the grammar mistakes.)

Hi everyone.

I'm having issues on installing 10.5.6.

after installing retail - i got by the panics by installing dsmos.kext and natit.kext

the last time i did retail install - i had trouble when i installed 10.5.4 then did the combo update to 10.5.6 from another osx86 system before booting the retail install .

so i started over and installed 10.5.4 and got it booting first by installing the dsmos.kext and natit.kext and i went through the welcome and set up the user account

then after that - from another osx86 boot up - i installed 10.5.6 combo -

i did not use the v4.4 patch or anything else except the uinstaller app to put chameleon and efi boot on the retail partition

I'm pretty sure that kext is not even needed if you used Universal OSx86 Installer by PCWiz. I have an 8800 GT 512 and everything works fine. I think he's got almost all nvidia cards covered with the installer and it results in one less system hack.

No sorry, last time I tried I lost QE even with only one of these cards in the computer so my guess is cards gets added to the list without knowing for sure if they work. I mean there are pretty many companys that makes a bunch of variations of the 7300 gs and just about every card out there. But the beauty with these cards are that they work right away and they´re silent and damn cheap, other cards might need tweaking with plists if you want two in your hack. The Nvinject kext from Kalys 10.5.1 also works with these cards, I´m not sure how good though just noticed it by accident when I did a test install recently.

But sure people should try it first but if it does´nt work try this one, I just updated it so search for threads or replys by me and you should find it.

yes noob :rolleyes:

Just another noob question from Belgium: I am considering buying locally the std hardware setup build around the Gigabyte P35-DS3P v 2.1 as advised:

I am a bit puzzled because my local supplier has presently 2 different ATI 3870 video boards available:

one with a silent pipe meant to be used in PC's and

the other one labeled to be installed in macs.

I assume the recommended one for the hackintosh is the former one ...

Am I correct ?

Many Thanks & Best Regards

Just another noob question from Belgium: I am considering buying locally the std hardware setup build around the Gigabyte P35-DS3P v 2.1 as advised:

I am a bit puzzled because my local supplier has presently 2 different ATI 3870 video boards available:

one with a silent pipe meant to be used in PC's and

the other one labeled to be installed in macs.

I assume the recommended one for the hackintosh is the former one ...

Am I correct ?

Many Thanks & Best Regards

The PC one will work with the Natit, but you might want to go with the Mac version... i have the saphire toxic 3870, rocks

Hi,

I have followed LTL's guide in this topic to install a retail copy of leopard on my Dell Inspiron 1720

when using this method, I have managed to achieve quite a good install of leopard on my machine, however, there are a few small points that I have been unable to fix

the first major problem is that when using a retail copy of leopard, my internal keyboard and trackpad on the laptop do not work, even when I use the same PS/2 driver that i used from the iatkos 5i disc.

This I assume has something to do with another kext.

If anyone knows of a way to alter any kexts or even replace them in order to get the keyboard and mouse working on a retail install that would be great

also after installing nvinject and nvkush, this breaks my ability to restart/shutdown normally, i resort to the old Hard Shutdown, by holding the power button.

ACPIPlatform.kext perhaps? again somthing i have been unable to fix.

my other install method was iatkos 5i, which is even closer to perfect. the down side of this install, is firstly shutdown and restart again do not work, and also I am unable to get my audio working. I have an AppleHDA.kext that worked beautifully for me before, but does not seem to work this time round, does AppleHDA have any dependencies on any other kexts that have been modified or replaced?

if anyone can answer any of these question or even point me towards someone with a near perfect install on the 1720, I would appreciate it

Thanks

Eds

If he used the Mac version, would he be able to interact with the BIOS, etc?

Patrick

interact with the BIOS on the video card? he could interact with the BIOS on the video card with either version given the correct tools for doing so. there are tutorials on how to flash VGAs all over the place. If I were him, I would be tempted to go with the Mac version because its actually a PC/Mac version if I remember correctly.

interact with the BIOS on the video card? he could interact with the BIOS on the video card with either version given the correct tools for doing so. there are tutorials on how to flash VGAs all over the place. If I were him, I would be tempted to go with the Mac version because its actually a PC/Mac version if I remember correctly.

I think what he meant was does it function like a Mac card no messing around with EFI strings or such.

I think what he meant was does it function like a Mac card no messing around with EFI strings or such.

What I meant was, before boot - when no drivers are loaded, the BIOS drives the video card in a basic VGA mode for changing BIOS settings, choosing boot drive, etc - Why would the Mac version support this?

When Flashing a PC card for a MAC, once the card is flashed, you can't use it in a PC - If you wanna re-flash it, you need to have a second card to handle the video display task (Or you try a blind flash).

What I'm wondering is if there is something special about the Mac Version of the 3870?

I hope that's clearer,

Patrick

What I meant was, before boot - when no drivers are loaded, the BIOS drives the video card in a basic VGA mode for changing BIOS settings, choosing boot drive, etc - Why would the Mac version support this?

When Flashing a PC card for a MAC, once the card is flashed, you can't use it in a PC - If you wanna re-flash it, you need to have a second card to handle the video display task (Or you try a blind flash).

What I'm wondering is if there is something special about the Mac Version of the 3870?

I hope that's clearer,

Patrick

That is not true with the newer cards with the 128k rom on them the PC bios part resides in the first 64k the EFI in the second half and is only used by OS X allowing dual boot with the same card.

Hello,

I got me a RTL 8169 to fix the Bonjour and AFP problems. I disabled my Onboard NIC. Since then my Time Machine didn't work anymore, couldn't find my backupdrive. Enabeling my Onboard NIC solved the problem. So toptip for today:

Don't disable onboard NIC to keep Time Machine working.

Greetinx

I have retail 10.5.6 . mobo GA-EP45-DS4

Can I install with BOOT-132 disk, etc... and what shoud I do after that. LS_15, cameleon? Can someone write a few steps?

UPDATE!!!

Update for 10.5.6

I got dmg image 10.5.6, and have successfully installed mac os 10.5.6 on this board.

(You can do this with original Mac OS X Leopard DVD disk - but I do a DMG image because of faster installation)

1. With disk utility you have yo Restore the dmg image of 10.5.6 to temporary disk. In Source select DMG image file of 10.5.6 and for Destination drag the temporary disk from left pane

2. Boot the PC with boot-132 disc for p35-ds4

3. Select 81 in my case temporary disk and start standard installation on other disk

4. After installation restart, boot again with 132 disc and apply ls8_15 and select what you need. The psystar realtek driver cause kernel panic at the next reboot, so I don't select. Than chameleon, efi studio strings only for nvidia 9800GT because the network driver works, and the audio is implemented in LS8 v15

Can confirm that sleep, restart, shutdown works and 'till now third day I have not problems with anything

Followed the guide and everything works great, except my core 2 duo shows as a core 2 solo in System Profile and About this Mac.

How can I fix this?

I run vanilla kernel.

I think all about it is choosing right smbios

Hi LTL,

It me again.

I bought a new motherboard. (EP45-UD3LR) and CPU (Q8300)

before, I use your guide to build a P35 system and work fine on it.

Now, I want to build another P45 system, but the problem is which release are prefer to use in first HDD in step one?

In P35, I follow your guide, use Kalyway. But it seems not work in P45.

Thanks!

Hi LTL,

It me again.

I bought a new motherboard. (EP45-UD3LR) and CPU (Q8300)

before, I use your guide to build a P35 system and work fine on it.

Now, I want to build another P45 system, but the problem is which release are prefer to use in first HDD in step one?

In P35, I follow your guide, use Kalyway. But it seems not work in P45.

Thanks!

Still have the original system? If so then don't bother with installing in the new system just take the hard drive that is going into the P45 put it in the old system do your retail install onto it from your working first system apply your patches for the P45 once done take the drive out of old put into the new system.