Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Hello,

1000thanks for your smart and well elaborate guide.

My Question to the forum: Can i use the Retailversion of OSX 10.5.4 (instead of 10.5.1) too?

What will be the difference in installing?

Thanks in advance,

adam

Yes you can! I am doing it also, retail 10.5.4 -> 10.5.5 update -> post-patch.sh and everything is fine. Now to try 10.5.6!

thanks for the guide!

Just finished install the Retail on my new pc.

my new pc has only one hard drive but I got a macbook pro, so I use a sata2usb converter to connect my pc's hd to mbp to finish several steps.

my mobo use AL889A sound chip, seems use your dump file and AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 still can't work, i will try to figure it out later.

really really thanks!

Hi LTL - GREAT GUIDE - Thank You! Can I upgrade to 10.5.6 with the same method?

Worked for me. Just remember, don't use Chameleon, you have to use the newer version of PC_EFI v.9 and I think you need to do the DSDT patcher first before you upgrade to 10.5.6 too (well I did anyway.) Running well.

Worked for me. Just remember, don't use Chameleon, you have to use the newer version of PC_EFI v.9 and I think you need to do the DSDT patcher first before you upgrade to 10.5.6 too (well I did anyway.) Running well.

You can use Chameleon but you need to copy the boot file from efiv9 to the / overwriting Chameleon's.

Okay, thanks!! That worked.

How can I get "sleep" back to work on my Asus P5K? Do you know? It is not a problem with Efi v9 or DSDT.aml nor AppleIntelCPUManagemtn.kext, because sleep was still working with all these installed and just prior of installing 10.5.6 - Reinstalled the old usuals (post-patch.sh, which worked fine with 10.5.5), but that did not do the job ... OpenHaltRestart.kext not working, either

Okay, this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=141584 settled it, thanks

In regards to MBR... MBR will work fine with this method if you want to Dual Boot. Just choose MBR as your option when setting up your partition, remember that GUID will be used by default so you have to change that option in Disk Utility.

I tried this last night. Had installed Win XP onto the first partition, and wanted to do this retail install onto the second partition. Unfortunately, the retail installer wouldn't allow me to select the partition because it wasn't GUID.

Then I tried booting up with Kaly 10.5.2, and was able to install using the Kaly installer on the same non-GUID partition.

Does anyone know a way around the "GUID prohibition" in the retail installer that would let us dual boot using LTL's Retail Guide?

Hi LTL,

I have been following your guide since it's inception, and appreciate your style. When the 10.5.6 update showed up, I came back to the website and found things had changed a lot in the past few months: Chameleon, DSDT Patcher, a new kext that solves the shutdown/reboot problem, and a new paradigm for installing updates!

My upgrade method uses a small (50 GB) sandbox partition, created by SuperDuper!, in which I clone my production system to the sandbox, except a link is made to my Users directory on my production drive. I then perform whatever magic is needed to install and test the update, followed by propagating the changes back to the production system. Being able to wipe the sandbox and start over is neat.

My hardware is similar to yours: an Asus P5K board with the P5KR bios.

I did the upgrade by:

1) cloning

2) overwriting the efi_v8 with Chameleon

3) replacing the 3rd stage boot with netkas' boot and the patched dsdt.aml

4) apply 10.5.6 update

5) use my post-patch.sh from v4.2

This worked fine, but I wasn't sure that I had done the minimal patching required. In subsequent testing, I found I needed to replace the following kexts:

a) AppleSMBIOS from the 4.2 distro

B) My modded AppleHDA which I added to 4.2

c) took out the CHUD-based Shutdown script and replaced it with the OpenHaltRestart kext from Psystar

d) Replaced AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext with the ones provided by Gujal

I did not have to reinstall the JMicron kext from my 4.2 folder.

I'm looking forward to seeing how closely my update method matches what you come up with!

--Skip

P.S. Spelling error: bacup (in reply 0) should be backup

I can't seem to get this working... I booted into my old Kalyway install and did it as follows:

1: Booted into old Kalyway install and set up new drive's partitions and stuff.

2: Installed 10.5 onto my new drive.

3: Installed combo update.

4: Ran post-patch keeping vanilla kernel.

5: Installed Chameleon onto new drive.

6. Reboot.

I get the Apple logo and the spinning wheel. Then the wheel stops spinning after a while and it never finishes booting. I tried with the modified kernels, but I just got a kernel panic.

My hardware set up is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

GeForce 8600GT

Core 2 Quad Q6600

8 gigs of 800MHz DDR2

Hi LTL,

I have been following your guide since it's inception, and appreciate your style. When the 10.5.6 update showed up, I came back to the website and found things had changed a lot in the past few months: Chameleon, DSDT Patcher, a new kext that solves the shutdown/reboot problem, and a new paradigm for installing updates!

My upgrade method uses a small (50 GB) sandbox partition, created by SuperDuper!, in which I clone my production system to the sandbox, except a link is made to my Users directory on my production drive. I then perform whatever magic is needed to install and test the update, followed by propagating the changes back to the production system. Being able to wipe the sandbox and start over is neat.

I did the upgrade by:

1) cloning

4) apply 10.5.6 update

This worked fine, but I wasn't sure that I had done the minimal patching required. In subsequent testing, I found I needed to replace the following kexts:

;) My modded AppleHDA which I added to 4.2

c) took out the CHUD-based Shutdown script and replaced it with the OpenHaltRestart kext from Psystar

d) Replaced AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext with the ones provided by Gujal

I'm looking forward to seeing how closely my update method matches what you come up with!

--Skip

Hi.

Your hardwares are my ones.(e6750, p5k, 8600gt)^^

What P5KR BIOS Version do you use? Do you run AHCI Mode?

---------------------

( http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...=a&start=60 )

[3] Strange experience (2008-01-29)

After changing from P5KR-0403 to P5K-0406, I couldn`t use P5K-0406-Default AHCI Mode because of preventing me from going to xp. [ BIOS Error : Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1... ] ^^;

So I changed from P5K-0406 to P5KR-0403, but I couldn`t use P5KR-0403-Default AHCI Mode because of the same BIOS Error.

How about you ? ( to only experienced users ) ( If you didn`t change BIOS, you had better not change it yet. )

---------------------

I didn`t use osx86(leopard) for almost 10 months, but I am preparing 10.5.6 now.

[Q1] What are p5k kexts?

dsmos.kext(iATKOSv5i)

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext(iATKOSv5i - Disabler.kext)

IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (10.5.6 original)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (4.2)

AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

IOATAFamily.kext (iATKOSv5i)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (Guja)

IOAHCIFamily.kext (Guja)

JMicronATA.kext (4.2 - for JMicron SATA HDD : AHCI Mode)

AppleVIAATA.kext (iATKOSv5i - for JMicron SATA HDD : AHCI Mode)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (Psystar)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (10.5.6 original)

[ for 2-channel sound ]

AppleHDA.kext (10.5.6. original)

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (modified by me)

[ 8600gt ]

NVkush + efistudio

[ ps2 keyboard/mouse ]

ApplePS2Controller.kext (iATKOSv5i)

- About iATKOSv5i ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=138929 )

Is it right?

- My P5K : P5K1201(BIOS)

[Main]Tab >Comparable

[Advanced]Tab > J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller [Enabled or Disabled] => [Enabled] => [AHCI]

Hi.

Your hardwares are my ones.(e6750, p5k, 8600gt)^^

What P5KR BIOS Version do you use? Do you run AHCI Mode?

Bios rev is 0605. I run both the Intel and JMicron chips in AHCI mode. This machine was originally used for XP, and I decided to give OS X a try. I found a spare 80 GB PATA drive which I connected to port 1 on the JMicron. I had a second 200GB PATA drive in a box which converted it to a SATA drive. That's connected to port 2 of the JMicron. A 300 GB drive is connected to Port 1 on the ICH7, and my optical drive is connected to Port 2.

The onboard audio is the 883 chip, and is supported by Taruga's driver mods. I have strings in my boot.plist file for ethernet (I through in a spare card that uses the Realtek driver) and the 8600 card.

I have been using LTL's scripts since v2 with mods as needed. As stated, I bought SuperDuper! and use it to test each update before propagating the changes back to my production disk.

I didn`t use osx86(leopard) for almost 10 months, but I am preparing 10.5.6 now.

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2, and worked my way through .3,.4,.5 and .6. You might be successful going straight to .6, but there's a lot of reading to do!

[Q1] What are p5k kexts?
kexts are drivers used by the software to interface to hardware. Some kexts supply values to other kexts (injectors); others are used to enable or disable other kexts. Try reading a few tutorials to learn more about how all this works.
dsmos.kext(iATKOSv5i)

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext(iATKOSv5i - Disabler.kext)

IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (10.5.6 original)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (4.2)

AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

IOATAFamily.kext (iATKOSv5i)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (Guja)

IOAHCIFamily.kext (Guja)

JMicronATA.kext (4.2 - for JMicron SATA HDD : AHCI Mode)

AppleVIAATA.kext (iATKOSv5i - for JMicron SATA HDD : AHCI Mode)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (Psystar)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (10.5.6 original)

[ for 2-channel sound ]

AppleHDA.kext (10.5.6. original)

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (modified by me)

[ 8600gt ]

NVkush + efistudio

[ ps2 keyboard/mouse ]

ApplePS2Controller.kext (iATKOSv5i)

I'd go with LTL's package. I'd also suggest using efiStudio to create your strings for the boot.plist file. I tried to make my PS/2 keyboard work (had a USB mouse), and found it a lot easier to buy a Logitech USB keyboard at Staples for $15.00. When I did the install, I also had to buy a SATA DVD drive for $30.00. Today, I think you may not need to do that, but I haven't tried the chameleon boot_132 all that much.

I just ran a test install and things came out pretty well. The efi string for the 8600 didn't work after installing 10.5.1, because the drivers were released later. I then upgraded directly to 10.5.5 using the script in the 4.2 folder, and everything worked except audio. I eventually found two com.apple.audio...plist files in /Library/Preferences that did not have the values I have in my production system. Replacing those files in the test partition made everything hunky dory. I've uploaded my v2 and v4.2 folders to mediafire, and you're welcome to study them. I'm sure you'll need to make adjustments.

2 zip files here

Good luck,

--skip

99,8% Working: Installed 10.5.6

Just replaced my old chameleon boot-file in rootdirectory with the one from efi v9, downloaded the 10.5.6-updater (not the combo-updater), put it on my 2nd osx86 installation and installed it.

It worked without applying the DSDT patcher - It's just okay now or will i face future problems which are hidden in present? (i dont know if the DSDT patch is just made for installing-time problems and not for run-time problems)

Should i install the DSDT-patcher right now, after the update?

Nevertheless everything (a/v, sleep, shutdown, ...) ist working.

Only one problem occured: after wakening from sleep, the usb-mouse freezes and i have to restart by navigating with the keyboard ... but that seems to be no specific hackintosh issue - its probably a bug in the 10.5.6 update itself:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...6&tstart=15

bye, adam

From PCWiz:

# 10.5.6 Released; No DSDT Patch Required

12/19/2008

This news is a few days late, but yes Apple has released Mac OS X 10.5.6 and you can read more about that and what it fixes here. The update as usual with all of Apple’s major updates is 372MB for the delta updater and a hefty 668MB for the combo updater. It is available from Software Update as well. The update, even for real mac users has proven to be troublesome, as there seems to be a bug on many computers (it usually happens if you are using Software Update) that the update does not fully download causing it to hang in the middle of installation. This is why its recommended that you manually download the update and then install it.

Now on to the OSx86 side of the story. People have been going crazy because the 10.5.6 beta builds required a DSDT patch for the system to boot properly. a procedure that can be complicated and impossible to achieve in some instances. It was assumed that the 10.5.6 final would have this requirement as well, but no. 10.5.6 boots just fine without any DSDT patch of any sort, just need your usual kexts. Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 also works on 10.5.6 as long as you have the 9.5.0 system.kext installed. You can update to 10.5.6 the same way used to update to any other Leopard update (but don’t use Software Update!). Some users have reported that there are issues mounting DMG files in 10.5.6. This can be fixed by installing the seatbelt.kext from a previous 10.5.5 install. And last but certainly not least, some users have experienced an issue where System Profiler “does not work” (error in retrieving information). This is usually caused by not having an AppleSMBIOS patch, or if you are using an old version of the vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext. That’s about it, and most people update just fine as long as you do it properly!

I can't seem to get this working... I booted into my old Kalyway install and did it as follows:

1: Booted into old Kalyway install and set up new drive's partitions and stuff.

2: Installed 10.5 onto my new drive.

3: Installed combo update.

4: Ran post-patch keeping vanilla kernel.

5: Installed Chameleon onto new drive.

6. Reboot.

I get the Apple logo and the spinning wheel. Then the wheel stops spinning after a while and it never finishes booting. I tried with the modified kernels, but I just got a kernel panic.

My hardware set up is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

GeForce 8600GT

Core 2 Quad Q6600

8 gigs of 800MHz DDR2

I have this exact same issue. Im running kalyway now with only 1 issue, it sometimes gives me the hard freeze with the grey boc in the middle, mostly while playing WoW, or installing new software. I have to install it in safe mode. I thought I would buy a retail mac os x to show how much I liked mac and to help me resolve that freezing issue. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

I'm hard at work!!! thanks for the feedback. It was the same for me, i turned around for 1 minute and BAM!!! got hit with all these changes :D

10.5.6 update in the works

Hi LTL,

I did the upgrade by:

1) cloning

4) apply 10.5.6 update

:P My modded AppleHDA which I added to 4.2

--Skip

I'm hard at work!!! thanks for the feedback. It was the same for me, i turned around for 1 minute and BAM!!! got hit with all these changes :censored2:

10.5.6 update in the works

Here's a pretty basic question:

I followed the v4.3 guide to prepare my current 10.5.5 installation on my main hard drive. In doing so, I used kaly 10.5.2 installed on a separate backup hard drive.

Can I get to 10.5.6 using the v4.4 guide by booting into my kaly install and starting at step 3? i.e. download and run the combo updater on my 10.5.5 install, then run post-patch.sh and Bootloader.pkg?

Thanks-

Here's a pretty basic question:

I followed the v4.3 guide to prepare my current 10.5.5 installation on my main hard drive. In doing so, I used kaly 10.5.2 installed on a separate backup hard drive.

Can I get to 10.5.6 using the v4.4 guide by booting into my kaly install and starting at step 3? i.e. download and run the combo updater on my 10.5.5 install, then run post-patch.sh and Bootloader.pkg?

Thanks-

the answer is YES! boot into Kaly, install the update, install the bootloader, run post-patch and then reboot and go back to work!