Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Thank you for your hard work and detailed guide!!

I was able to get things going on this set up.

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Intel Q6600

8 GB DDR2 Corsair RAM

BFG 8800GT OC2 512 MB

(2x) 150 GBRaptors (1 for kalyway, 1 for retail install)

(1x) 1TB internal drive for data

The only problems im running into lately is that my board sometimes wont post and looks for the bios image in the drive, it says "looking for bios image in hard drive", at this point i have to reset it. This only happens sometimes, but lately its been happening up to 3 times in a row.

Other than that, leopard is the best!

arsix

Brilliant and simple guide, many thanks! Couple of points from my Asus P5WDH and ATI 3870 512MB install which might help others out -

• I also needed to remove the AppleHPET.kext from system/library/extensions/ to stop USB errors
  • Don't forget to copy the dsdt.aml file across (helps boot time for me)
  • Fixed TimeMachine using EFIStudio by adding onboard Ethernet to the boot.plist file
  • Needed to apply the Triakis.pkg to get my ATI Radeon HD 3870 card to work
  • For those who have problems, loading try pushing F8 as soon as system boots and at Darwin promt type -v -f -x to load in safe mode ...
  • I needed to run Taruga's HDApatcher with the relevant ALC882.txt file to get surround sound sorted

Thanks again, I have now successfully installed Leopard retail plus 10.5.6 plus all other latest patches to an external USB drive which boots and runs perfectly and so I am now creating my .DMG backup image on the desktop of my existing Leopard install and will copy it back to the USB drive when finished so I have a bomb-proof recovery option. Can even keep a copy of the <8GB installation on a USB pen drive and use Disk Utility from any distro to recover it to a new partition. Brilliant and recommended for all!

thanks a lot !

i was having trouble booting from ipc_osx86 distro and retail dvd - it would always stop at the blue screen

then i learned how to run installs from mounting the image from within a running osx86

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=#entry1033499

so then i was able to get retail and ipc_osx86 installed - but when i tried the update of the 10.5.4 retail it bombed ( i was updating the currently running osx86 ) - and i gave up on it - until i found this guide

so i just now restored the backup of my retail 10.5.4 install to a partition and all i had to do was apply the combo update to it -

run uinstaller to put efi-9 and chameleon boot

run the vsdbutil -

repair permissions and then

boot into single user and remove appleintelcpupowermanagement - and

kextload natit and dsmos

reboot

that is it ! it is working fine except i have no sound or ethernet -

now i have to figure out how to use efi strings or find the right kext files

i do have a question about the size of the installs -

the ipc_osx86 10.5.6 install is only about 7 gb and it backs up in 5 mins to external usb drive and the image is only about 2.75 gb

the retail 10.5.4 install is about 14 gb and it backs up in 10+ mins to external usb drive and the image is 5.32 gb

what is all that fluff on the retail ? is there a way to trim it down ?

on the restore it takes a much longer time to write all these little files

U205 Toshiba Satellite Notebook

2 GHz Dual Core

2 GB ram

320 GB SATA Hard Drive

GMA950 graphics

AD1981 audio

Intel Pro 100 ethernet

This is best way I ever tried. I had hard time for Boot-132 to my Acer 5315.

Only Thing I added is, after I finished installation I use CCC(Carbon Copy Cloner) to make image file on another Hard. It was about 10G. Anyway, I reformat main Hard with MBR, not GUID with 2 partition, one for MAC, one for PC. I CCC again from image to MAC partition, run bootloader. Recover PC with Original Recover backup from ACER.

It seems a lot faster than my actual macbook.

Thanks

Running 10.5.6 beautifully after a few fits and starts involving editing post-patch.sh correctly and typing directory paths correctly - they are case-sensitive!

I used PCWiz's Universal Installer to apply the EFI string for my video card and the Time Machine fix. TrendNet wifi worked OOB.

Not sure about sleep and shutdown, but the latter may be due to the HDD boot order. Will keeping working on that.

FYI:

Kaly 10.5.4 XBench: 129

Retail 10.5.6 XBench: 148

Success!

This route works a treat on my system and I've now applied all the minor update patches from software update (for QT and iT etc....)

GB-P35-DSR3

Q6600

4GB

8800GT

Network and audio worked from install, EFI put in the code for the GFX and worked on next reboot. Seems to work a lot smoother and quicker than my iATkos installs that I've done.

The only issue that I've come across is that the ICHR9 settings must be set to AHCI otherwise it gets a "Waiting for root device" problem - is this normal?

Just got two questions

1 - Booting - I use CHAIN0 to boot my iAtkos install but it only ever sees my iAtkos install (which is on the same physical drive as my XP OS) so I can only boot by going into the boot menu. How can I get it to add / or change to my Vanilla Install. Or, is can it not be done and I need to use another boot loader (grub?)

2 - Power Off - the system restarts fine but when I tell it to shut down it doesn't shut down the hardware fully, my Razer mouse still flickers when I press it and you can hear fans running. The only way to shut it off properly and to allow it to restart is to turn the mains off and on again. Can this be solved by a kext modification?

The only issue that I've come across is that the ICHR9 settings must be set to AHCI otherwise it gets a "Waiting for root device" problem - is this normal?

Yes it wants the drive in that mode to work.

2 - Power Off - the system restarts fine but when I tell it to shut down it doesn't shut down the hardware fully, my Razer mouse still flickers when I press it and you can hear fans running. The only way to shut it off properly and to allow it to restart is to turn the mains off and on again. Can this be solved by a kext modification?

Go to the Psystar web site under Corporate -> Open Source I believe it is in you can download the OpenHaltRestart.kext that will allow full shutdown/restart.

Has anyone successfully downloaded v4.4.zip? I can not access to that website. Are there anyone so kind to attach a copy to my e-mail: samsonwtsui@gmail.com

Thanks!

i tried to send it to you - it is 10 mb so i don't know if it will get there -

if you still can't get it then i can put it on ftp for you - can you do ftp ?

the email failed - let me know if you want me to put it on ftp server .

Thanks for this fantastic guide! I've really had a struggle with the latest OSx86 releases and my mobo since the 10.5.5 update. But with some modifications in this guide I've got my hackintosh to run perfectly.

My specifications:

Asus P5B Deluxe (w/o WiFi)

Intel Core2 6600 @ 3.02GHz

6GB RAM

I've been up and running for 24 hours and have tested pretty much everything with JMicron disabled in BIOS. Everything works perfectly so long and even the sleep function works. I've just connected a PATA disk, with JMicron running in AHCI, to try this and so far everything seems to work great. Haven't tried the sleep function yet though.

I've got just the first LAN port running (Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI Express). Haven't tried the second LAN port (and I'm not planning to try) because I've previously got a lot of Kernel Panics using "skge.kext" in 10.5.6.

Since I'm using an external soundcard I've disabled the onboard audio in BIOS so I can't say that it works, but I'm pretty sure that the onboard audio will work with some small modifications.

I have tried this perfect method on a EP35-DS4 and have one problem:

After retail install (10.5 disc) i want to install 10.5.6 combo update, but every time it stops working in the beginning (at about 2%, at something like "configuring update" or so). I also tried the 10.5.5 combo update, same result.

I installed the retail onto a fresh partitioned disc from iDeneb 10.5.5.