Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Thanks MacUser2525!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the kext with no success, now the sleep is not working either.

Can you explain how to place the kernel in the right place?

Thanks for your help.

It's well appreciated

I´m using that kext with my GA EP45-DS3, sounds strange it doesn´t work for you.

Hey people. I have a Toshiba Satellite model A305-S6872. I was wondering if anyone could tell me wat the best and easiest way to install OS X on it is. I have done so before, but it kept crashing. For my first install, I used the Kalyway install. Everything worked fine except the webcam and Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi card is the Intel 5100, which I understand is under development. For my second install, I used iPC. It was even worse, but I didnt have to go through the whole update thing with backing up me Kexts. The ethernet didnt work, sound didnt... etc. On both installs the webcam didnt work. Help would be greatly appreciated. Again my two questions: What is the best way to installl OSx86 on the Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872, and how do I get the webcam to work.

Thanks,

Alibum

• 1 month later...
10.5.x GUIDE v4.4 FOR THE ADVANCED USER:

EFIv9, 10.5.6

Hello all

I have iATKOS v7 and installed it "almost perfect" on my main HD.

I bought Leopard Installer v10.5.6 from my local Apple Branch cause I'm interest to try method above.

I follow exactly step by step above (I named my 2nd HD "Macintosh" too :D).

After Reboot to 2nd HD, no luck, it gives me that gray screen of death.

with -v it say "waiting for root device".

My PC:

ASUS P5N32-E SLI (BIOS Standard, only disable the onboard LAN).

Proc. Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 1,86 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Chipset: NVidia 650i (C55+MCP55P)

VGA : NVidia GeForce 7600 GT

Hard Drive SATA 80 GB (iATKOS) & 250 GB (Macintosh)

Ethernet Card RTL8139

DVD RW Drive External

Please, any help appreciated.

Sorry for my bad English.

I got it working all!

If it doesn't boot its probably your video card, if you can't find the right kexts, try different video cards till it boots.

it wouldn't go with a geforce 6800gs so i tried a geforce 7900 and it loaded up 10.5.7 perfect!

What part of this guide changes if we're installing 10.5.6 retail and then wanting to patch to 10.5.7?

I followed the 4.4 guide but I used the combo update to 10.5.7 and it works.

However, I did not do the bootloader and EFI studio, as I have my two installs (kalyway and retail) on the same drive.

It works well.

However, I still haven't fix my audio. I followed the same installation guide about a year ago with the same computer and I couldn't fix the audio, which wasn't really an issue as I use a firewire sound card that works anyway. But I would like to fix the audio now.

When I try EFIstudio, there's no options for the audio.

I also tried the hda patcher last year and it did not work. My motherboard is a ep45-ds3r is there a particular sound problem with this motherboard?

is there any cheap pci sound card that could work better?

Also, my clock seems to be desynchronized, I lived with it for the past year because I think it can't be fixed, but.. Idk I would like to have this install 100% perfect, right now with these 2 bugs I would say it's 99.5% perfect :unsure:

Anybody tried the 10.5.8 update with the v4.4 patch. The patch works fine with the 10.5.7 update.

Yes, works!

I have 2 HD with same content.

So i always install it on the backup HD from my original running OSX.

Then i swap disks and run EFI Studio for graphics.

If you install the update directly you'll get the grey "Please power off..." Error message during install, but it was like thins since 10.5.6. i think. (Solution available in the forum).

Yes, works!

I have 2 HD with same content.

So i always install it on the backup HD from my original running OSX.

Then i swap disks and run EFI Studio for graphics.

If you install the update directly you'll get the grey "Please power off..." Error message during install, but it was like thins since 10.5.6. i think. (Solution available in the forum).

So if I have MAC OS X 10.5.6 running with a second HDD that contains kaylyway, what steps I should do to have 10.5.8?

My board is p45-ds3l

So if I have MAC OS X 10.5.6 running with a second HDD that contains kaylyway, what steps I should do to have 10.5.8?

My board is p45-ds3l

What is on first HD?

Load Combo Update 10.5.8 from apple, run it from first HD, install it on second HD.

Apply post patch on second HD running from first HD.

Reboot with second HD, apply EFI strings if needed.

Hi,

updating 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 kills sleep. pc/mac goes down but fans and power is still on. re-installing the patches does not work for me.

Is there a known fix for this issue?

Not in my case.

Check System Preferences, Power Saving, uncheck last box "startup after power failure automatically (or similar i have it here in german)"

Check System Preferences, Power Saving, uncheck last box "startup after power failure automatically (or similar i have it here in german)"

Do you mean Systemeinstellungen -> Energie sparen?

I only have these two options:

"Wenn möglich Ruhezustand der Festplatten aktivieren"

"Ruhezuestand über Aus/Einschalter ermöglichen"

Do you mean Systemeinstellungen -> Energie sparen?

I only have these two options:

"Wenn möglich Ruhezustand der Festplatten aktivieren"

"Ruhezuestand über Aus/Einschalter ermöglichen"

Interesting i have one more option, but try to uncheck "Ruhezuestand über Aus/Einschalter ermöglichen" but i think it was "Nach Stromausfall automatisch neu starten".

Have you installes all kext from v4.4?

I had the same sleep issues with 10.5.8, but I did't have the Disabler.kext. The working solution was to copy the 9.7.0 kernel from backup and install it with OSX86 Tools. Everything works just fine now.

Open Terminal and type the following command:

cp /Volumes/<your-time-machine-volume-name>/Backups.backupdb/<your-username>/2009-08-01-040710/<Your-Volume-Name>/mach_kernel ~/Desktop/

Replace the names in <> with tyour actual values.

Then use OSX86 Tools "Install or Restore Kernel" wizard, backup your 9.8.0 kernel ( I have used the suggested name) and point to the mach_kernel file on your desktop. When prompted reboot, and enjoy the sleep as before.

Hi,

updating 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 kills sleep. pc/mac goes down but fans and power is still on. re-installing the patches does not work for me.

Is there a known fix for this issue?

Sorry, U R right! Sleep doesn't work proper!

I thougt power off doesn't work!

mobo GA-EP45-DS3R

Great guide!!

I have successfully installed, retail Leopard 10.5 updated to 10.5.5 and also 10.5.6 in my Hack Pro (see specs in my signature).

After using the post-patch.sh, chameleon and EFI Strings, everything was working except the SOUND.

I had to use the HDAenabler and HDA kext files that i used in my last successful installation and a Kext Helper to inject them correctly. I couldn't manage to use the "HDA and Dump" files provided in this post. However my sound now works great. I am using the optical output in the board watching DVDs in 5.1 and sound is awesome!!

The files i used are posted below.

To use them, just open the Kext helper; using kext helper select the two remaining files; wait for confirmation and that should be it. Reboot and check your system. This worked for me.

Apple HDA kext:

AppleHDA.kext.zip

HDA Enabler:

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Kext Helper:

Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

Did you leave the ALCInject.kext in your extensions folder? Did you remove the Soundflower kext? I cannot get sound to work on my UD3P since upgrading to 10.5.8. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

I have a P5K board with the P5KR BIOS, and have been using LTL's modified scripts since 10.5.2. I have just successfully installed the 10.5.8 update using the v4.4 script, with a couple of minor modifications: I commented out two lines near the top related to archiving/deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

My method differs slightly from LTL's, in that I create a Sandbox with shared Users using SuperDuper!, apply the update and post-patch to the sandbox, test, and then smart update my primary HD. Prior to running the update, I upgraded to Chameleon 2RC2, but I was not able to use the new switches, GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltin successfully. I also discovered that, starting with Chameleon 2.0, we can use the stock AppleSMBIOS.kext and insert values in an smbios.plist file located in the /Extra folder. That tweak eliminated one more custom kext. See Post #2 by Beerkex'd for details.

Enjoy,

--skip

Just echo everyone else's thoughts - great guide!

my specs are in my sig - was running kalyway 10.5 up to 10.5.3 since ~Jan 08 with a pretty hacked together set of kexts, but it worked ok, apart from sleep.

recently got a bit antsy and decided to update to 10.5.6 and started to have problems. chameleon bootloader and using efi strings for video was great but video was glitchy and system started to feel very unstable.

so followed guide v4.4, vanilla, with no step 3 as i was using 10.5.6 retail. at step 6 (add efi strings using efistudio) i used the most recent version with 7800GT strings in it, and added display, ethernet and HDEF strings to boot.plist. reboot and video is perfect, audio is detected in system profiler and working, time machine working, bonjour etc.

restored my user via time machine and i was pretty much set.

however:

1. sleep doesn't work. displays turn off but when i resume screens return but system is unresponsive, mouse is jerky and clicks not registered. tried the checking "Restart automatically after a power failure" box with no change. anyone with same specs have this working? maybe a bios setting i haven't tried...
  2. scheduled power down works, but scheduled start up or wake does not. this did work on my old kalyway install.
  3. displays - i run dual CRTs via DVI to vga adapters. at startup the second display is often not brought out of standby and only powers up on boot into OSX. the displays aren't detected and default to 800x600. this was also an issue with the kalyway install and hitting detect displays usually fixes things fine, but now the primary display is always detected as VGA Display, unlike the secondary which has correct model and resolutions. Not a big deal but would be good to find a fix...
  4. possibly related to 3. machine is now shown as a P35C-DS3R and has an iMac icon - is there a way of getting it back to being a mac pro? i know it's purely cosmetic but it's in a nice aluminium case with two crts connected - it'll have an inferiority complex!

any thoughts gratefully received - i love this box and it's been great to get it almost vanilla but the closer to perfection it gets the more the little things bug me :)

After reading about the various difficulties some users have had going to 10.5.8, I cautiously attempted to upgrade my test HDD using the Combo Updater. I wasn't able to use post-patch this time, although I'd used it during my original install and when I upgraded to 10.5.7. When trying to use post-patch I'd get an error that the target drive's UUID could not be found.

As a trial workaround, I removed the Don'tStealMacOS and ApplePowerManagementCPU kexts from the library and booted using Chameleon 2RC. It worked fine, and unlike previous upgrades, I didn't have to use EFIStrings to get my monitor to display correctly. (However I forgot to test sound, but that is usually an easy fix.)

(However I forgot to test sound, but that is usually an easy fix.)

Update: To restore sound to my new 10.5.8 install, I installed the two kexts for ALC889a (ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext) using PCWiz's OSX86Tools application and then clicked on the desired output in System Preferences/Sound.

I then repeated the above steps to install 10.5.8 on my production HDD, except I did not use the Chameleon bootloader because I want my production Hack to boot directly into MacOS. This went well except that, unlike on my test HDD, the drives appeared as orange icons. (On my test HDD, when I installed Chameleon it loaded the kexts needed to display the drive icons correctly.)

To fix the orange icon problem, I followed the solution presented here. See the code box, but be aware that there are path errors, discussed in subsequent posts. Delete the .dir that appears in the code.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LTL and fans,

I wound up getting a GA-EP45-UD3P board so I could make use of all the excellent work done by Tmongkol and others on the audio chip. I did this between 10.5.7 and 10.5.8. In the process, I learned a few things about EFI Injection and DSDT patching that I'd like to pass on. If you can get your hardware "working" by using the device-properties key in com.apple.Boot.plist, it's a piece of cake to convert it into a DSDT.aml file. Fassl's DSDT Patcher extracts the contents of the IORegistry after the system has been booted and converts it into a DSDT.dsl and DSDT.aml file. Once you have this file, you can eliminate all the (audio, video, and network) injectors and/or all the code in the device-properties key.

To install 10.5.8 from scratch, on my board, with Nvidia graphics, I needed only the following kexts, all of which live happily in the /Extra/Extensions folder:

LegacyHDA.kext from Tmongkol, fakesmc.kext from Netkas' site, and the three kexts installed by Chameleon 2 RC[1,2,3]: ACHIPortInjector.kext, ATAPortInjector.kext, and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. In addition, I used an smbios.plist and DSDT.aml in the /Extra

So:

1) Format the Partition (Disk) you need to install Leopard on and enable owners

2) Install Leopard

3) Install the 10.5.8 Combo Update

4) Install Chameleon 2 RC3

5) Copy the fakesmc and LegacyHDA into the /Extra/Extensions folder

6) Rebuild /Extra/Extensions.mkext with

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/$Destination/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/$Destination/Extra/Extensions

7) Copy over your DSDT.aml and smbios.plist from your working environment

8) chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/$Destination/Extra

9) Reboot into your new install

I haven't had to disable the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, but you can use Disabler.kext for that if you want. Sleep, Reboot and Shutdown, as well as UUID are all working without any additional help.

--Skip