KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official)

kaly

2,627 posts in this topic

with a name as yours, resonance, i feel bad for your lack of sound. i wish i could help, but all i've been able to do to get sound thus far is use the 24-bit soundblaster usb external. i'm not sure if 54slots or pci cards work though.

good luck!

It's OK :(

5 minutes later I applied the acl pkg from skippy retards post, thanks skippy!

The noob that is I, will try and find the internls to post so you guys know what worked for me, but basiclaly I have a Fujitsu Esprimo Q5010, internal is a sata 60gb, 1 gb ram, cannot confirm the rest yet, will do when I get a chance.

@Adhemer:

""If you look on the wiki, you can see that both of those are not working:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.1

I would recommend getting a cheap Realtek NIC, they seem to work well. Check the list on the wiki.""

Thank you. You saved 10 days of hardwork and newly learned knowledge with a simple wiki link. Just can't thank you enough.

I will buy one tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Geesh, and you so just illustrate my point from my immediately prior post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=617147

and i do have idea as to what is wrong. i just cant keep answering the same questions in this thread. Try a thread search, you will learn something and make your victory much better since you EARNED your Osx86

The 2 or 3 post newbs who come by, waste everyone's time, and don't contribute back to the community at all are just tiring.

I know what you mean. Some people think that it's a Plug and Play installation and expect some magic to happen. Like you say, if they want that, go buy a real Mac. They don't understand that this whole thing is an experiment, and that's the fun part by the way. It is a bit annoying to see questions like " Oh my god! it won't boot, help!"

However, I think the forum should make a statement at the beginning to make clear what kind of technical challenge they are going to face by installing OSX on any PC, so that people know what they got themselves into. And also perhaps the forum can break down into sub-categories like explanations of the basic commands, FAQ such as blinking cursor, B0 error etc so that people can find the solutions easily? What do you think?

Good morning to everyone! I've succefully installed kalyway on my system, but my cpu (Q6600 @ 2,4GhZ) is shown as "2,4GHz Unknown" in the "About this mac" menu. I've known that it depends on Applesmsbios.kext... Can you help me? Thanks a lot

P.s All 4 cores are shown correctly by system

My motherboard is P35C-DS3R

Actually, the q6600 processor is not part of Apple's intended hardware therefore in the kernel.framework, it's defined as unknown. I have a question for you tho, are all four cores working on your machine? On mine, (Acre MM5630), even tho all four cores are indicated as enabled in the system log and ioreg, I think only one core is working. What does your Hardware Overview say? Mine says Number of Processors: 0, Total Number of Cores: 1, which of course is incorrect.

newbmac, believe me or not, i cound't find any info on my problem (which i mentioned above) until I saw your signature. It really helped me a lot to find out that the issue was with my Pentium D processor (thanks a lot by the way!). The problem is that the info in wiki an on the forum is very unsorted and chaotic and basic search can't always help a lot, even reading the whole topic thoroughly doesn't always help (though much time is wasted on that!). The best way of solving your problem is finding someone who has already faced it and sharing the experience and giving help. The more you write about it the greater is the probability that a person would find the answer to his question. In fact, that's what the forum is made for. Please help each other. Thanks.

Good morning to everyone! I've succefully installed kalyway on my system, but my cpu (Q6600 @ 2,4GhZ) is shown as "2,4GHz Unknown" in the "About this mac" menu. I've known that it depends on Applesmsbios.kext... Can you help me? Thanks a lotP.s All 4 cores are shown correctly by systemMy motherboard is P35C-DS3R
I have answered this question at least three times in this thread. I think that's enough.
Not to harsh out on you but there's a few problems with this thread. In the beginning of this thread there's no list of supported hardware, nor a list of unsupported HW. I don't think that could be accomplished though. It's all hey look do this, without listing the prerequisities. The guide link is a bit lower. So yeah you're going to get a ton of questions on this thread.* The person who started the thread is obviously not a techincal writer so there's some missing info in it leading to the following. I'm a very experienced computer user and I would not undertake any of this lightly. I agree most of these questions are answered, but there's 100 + pages ot get your answer -- the search function of these web boards is pretty bad, and the sticky on this subject makes it rise ot the top of the heap, thus attracting the newbie posts. I read for two days but there's so much lame chaff it's very hard to gather information you need because the quides are ou of dayte. There is no x86 10.5.1 install wiki that I've seen to date. I asked a very specific question listing my config and what I tried and got silence, not simply that it didn't work. I've since got it instaled by buying a PATA drive but the boot time is probably going ot be in the tens of hours judging from the speed at which it loads each driver.*The problem with this thread though is a lot simpler to fix, but will be a ton of work for the moderator. The guides need ot be stickied andthe threads locked. Also, just sticky a new thread that rises to the top with a list of common problems and solutions to problems, when someone asks, answer and update the sticky. After a little while the most common questions will be answered. Mine could have been handled by the following:Q: Will the install of the Kalyway work TO SATA drives.Answer: "No. you must first install to a PATA drive then update your driver with the medevil SATA driver."Q: What is the cause of a very slow boot? (See below for system specs)Symptoms: Booting with -s does not work, it's not even getting to that stage.... It's loading drivers at about 1 every 15 seconds. I'm thinking it's enabled HW in the BIOS, even though everything but the Ethernet controlers are off. Anyone jump in at all thanks. Better yet I'm going to go do more reading and post whne I can get more symptoms or I figure it out.(A moderated newbie forum for the install would be best, but it would probably be exhausting dealing with "It won't work" all day.)Thanks guys.
Are you aware there's a hardware compatibility list on the wiki?http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_PageAlso, I've never heard of needing a PATA drive to install on a SATA drive. That's specific to your system so you should mention that, before you confuse other people.

I've seen this question asked a few times. If you don't like what you see in About This Mac, like unknown processor, edit this file /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings

at the line says "UnknownCPUKind" = "Unknown", change it to "UnknownCPUKind" = "Whatever" :D

post-143707-1202746789_thumb.gif

help needed from Dell Inspiron 6400 owner :P

config :

CPU T7200 (BIOS : Force 1 Core )

2 * 1GB DDR2 667 Ram

Display x1300 Mobility Radeon

Sound Sigmatel 92XX

HDD Western Digitial 120GB

partitions in HDD:

Dell Utility

Win XP

Win Vista

Mac ( was JaS 10.4.8 before now trying to get to Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 )

Data

okay i failed after a number of tries

it only returns me with either b0 error or totally black screen with & a white _ after my installtion

my questions are :

1st - is "vanilla" compulosry during boot ?

2nd - what should i pick for the plugins during installtion ?

Are you aware there's a hardware compatibility list on the wiki?http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_PageAlso, I've never heard of needing a PATA drive to install on a SATA drive. That's specific to your system so you should mention that, before you confuse other people.

Yes I'm aware of the HCL. I read that before I began. There's no info on my board, but searching the forums I've found people that list the NForce6 Chipset as one that they've successfully installed on. I think one person has it running on the EVGA version of the 680i board.

All the forum topics I've seen have not mentioned installing on a SATA drive. They've mentioned getting SATA working once there is an install. But none list SATA drives used during the install. Either they don't mention the type of drive or the documents are so old it was befor the medevil success, and they specifically list PATA or every reference to system specs list PATA as the HW OS X is installed is on.

I'll go ask the SATA topic, and he NForce topics and leave the Kalyway topic alone since it's more general purpose anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Can anyone tell me if I can just upgrade from the Tiger Kalyway DVD? I am using the Intel 945GM Express Chipset and I checked the HCL list for the GMA 950 Graphics card. I am aware of the tearing mouse but I just want to check and see if anyone else had that problem.

Thanks

toshiba_mac24

I know what you mean. Some people think that it's a Plug and Play installation and expect some magic to happen. Like you say, if they want that, go buy a real Mac. They don't understand that this whole thing is an experiment, and that's the fun part by the way. It is a bit annoying to see questions like " Oh my god! it won't boot, help!"

However, I think the forum should make a statement at the beginning to make clear what kind of technical challenge they are going to face by installing OSX on any PC, so that people know what they got themselves into. And also perhaps the forum can break down into sub-categories like explanations of the basic commands, FAQ such as blinking cursor, B0 error etc so that people can find the solutions easily? What do you think?

thanks for your support.

I do think there is a problem with how these forums are structured.For example, there should be a 2nd post editable by anyone like they have in the Fatwallet forums

This thread owner should have a FAQ in the first post or something which would answer the common repetitive questions. I emailed Kaly asking him but who knows.

Now a REAL question

10.5.2 update. PLEASE report back if your VANILLA kernel Kaly updated to 10.5.2 successfully?

Answer: Read thread here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87040

a little bug noticed in kalyway 10.5.1 - when cursor reaches the editable area (e.g. shortcut name, it leaves some trash on screen and sometimes even these solid annoying squares appear in random places).

i suppose this may be an issue of my built-in intel video though looks like a distro bug.

picture1ib8.th.jpg

picture2it4.th.jpg

I've installed the Kalyway 10.5.1 install and it is working practically flawlessly. However I am wondering as to why my specs are turning out to be slower than some of the other test scores for people with exactly the same configuration as mine if not less than mine.

I have an:

Asus P5W DH

Intel Q6600 2.4 over-clocked to 2.88 (all 4 cores are reading equal and correct)

2x2GB = 4gb of DDR2 ram

NVIDA GeForce 8800GTS with 640mb (only recognizing 256mb though as of now due to drivers)

2 500GB Seagate Barracuda Sata drives in EZ RAID 0 = 1TB (hardware RAID0 through Motherboard)

Pioneer DVDRW DVR-109

yet my xbench score came out to = 144.01 ;)

and my geekbench score came out to = 5091 :(

http://macapper.com/2008/01/19/diy-hackint...ro-for-cheap/5/

^^practically same hardware config but faster than mine on almost all counts^^

http://lifehacker.com/software/benchmarks/...arks-322866.php

http://db.xbench.com/csi.xhtml?machineTypeID=34

Thanks,

BTW I've already searched for quite a while looking for speed tweaks and such but haven't found anything notable. As one option I have considered using 1 150GB 10,000 RPM Raptor drive in place of the 2 500GB 7,200RPM Sata drives. From what I understand though, the Mac has seen the two drives in a RAID 0 setup from the beginning b/c even at the original install screen it listed the drives as 1 ~950GB drive so this should be almost exactly equal I would think speed wise as the Raptor would be. If anyone has done a bench test checking the speed difference in a Raptor drive vs raid I would be very interested.

A screen shot with detailed xBench, GeekBench and sytem profiler is also attached

post-184221-1202777416_thumb.png

Geesh, and you so just illustrate my point from my immediately prior post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=617147

and i do have idea as to what is wrong. i just cant keep answering the same questions in this thread. Try a thread search, you will learn something and make your victory much better since you EARNED your Osx86

The 2 or 3 post newbs who come by, waste everyone's time, and don't contribute back to the community at all are just tiring.

[sarcasm]You're so right. I mean showing hostility towards new posters couldn't possibly have anything to do with why people don't come back.

I agree with you whole-heartedly[/sarcasm]

I used the uphuck v1.3 10.4.9 with no problems. I only needed to put those pins in the back on the VGA.

Will kalyway work on my laptop?

Specs:

Acer Aspire 3620 Series (3624WXCi)

Processor: Intel Celeron M @ 1.6GHz

Instruction Sets: MMX, SSE, SSE2

Video Card: Intel Express GMA 900

WLAN: Atheros 5005G Wireless Card

LAN: RealTek 8139 LAN Card

Bluetooth: USB Bluetooth Dongle

Chipset: ??? I have no idea.

help needed from Dell Inspiron 6400 owner ;) config :CPU T7200 (BIOS : Force 1 Core )2 * 1GB DDR2 667 RamDisplay x1300 Mobility RadeonSound Sigmatel 92XXHDD Western Digitial 120GBpartitions in HDD:Dell UtilityWin XPWin VistaMac ( was JaS 10.4.8 before now trying to get to Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 )Dataokay i failed after a number of triesit only returns me with either b0 error or totally black screen with & a white _ after my installtionmy questions are :1st - is "vanilla" compulosry during boot ?2nd - what should i pick for the plugins during installtion ?
okay soomehow i finished the installation and it's running well :D but unluckily still no driver for x1300 mobility and intel 3945ABG :) keep up the work guys ;)
Hi all is it safe to install the 10.5.2 update on patched kalyway 10.5.1 ?
don't think so you should wait for kalyway's 10.5.2 update patch instead of apple original's

Okay, I know there are tons of questions in here, and as far as I've seen (I'm not sure exactly what I would have to search for, so I tried my best to browse) there hasn't been a question like mine.

So basically, forgive me for being a "noob" on this whole deal, I'm installing using Kalyway's release. I downloaded the .iso torrent, and have successfully burned it to a DVD and I'm attempting to install it.

Here is what I'm installing it on:

-----

Dell Inspirion Notebook 6000

Intel Centrino Mobile 2.0 ghz processor

1gb of ram

Integrated Intel Graphics etc. etc.

------

So, per my understanding (there should really be some detailed documentation on EXACTLY how to do all of this), I burn the DVD, put it in, press a key when the booter says to, and let it begin!

So, that is what I did. It sat there for around 5-10 minutes, then went to a white screen with the Apple logo, and a spinning progress wheel. I figured I was doing everything right. Apparently not. It stayed on that screen for around 8 hours (I went to sleep and let it continue). So, after those 8 hours of nothing, I restarted the computer. So it started with the boot thing again, and allowed it to go back to the white apple screen etc. It has done this about 2-3 times now. It is now restarting over and over.

Is there something I am doing wrong? or should I just keep going? Is there a link to an exact guide? Will it work with my laptop's setup?

I understand these are alot of questions, but any and all help will be greatly greatly appreciated.

Okay, I know there are tons of questions in here, and as far as I've seen (I'm not sure exactly what I would have to search for, so I tried my best to browse) there hasn't been a question like mine.

So basically, forgive me for being a "noob" on this whole deal, I'm installing using Kalyway's release. I downloaded the .iso torrent, and have successfully burned it to a DVD and I'm attempting to install it.

Here is what I'm installing it on:

-----

Dell Inspirion Notebook 6000

Intel Centrino Mobile 2.0 ghz processor

1gb of ram

Integrated Intel Graphics etc. etc.

------

So, per my understanding (there should really be some detailed documentation on EXACTLY how to do all of this), I burn the DVD, put it in, press a key when the booter says to, and let it begin!

So, that is what I did. It sat there for around 5-10 minutes, then went to a white screen with the Apple logo, and a spinning progress wheel. I figured I was doing everything right. Apparently not. It stayed on that screen for around 8 hours (I went to sleep and let it continue). So, after those 8 hours of nothing, I restarted the computer. So it started with the boot thing again, and allowed it to go back to the white apple screen etc. It has done this about 2-3 times now. It is now restarting over and over.

Is there something I am doing wrong? or should I just keep going? Is there a link to an exact guide? Will it work with my laptop's setup?

I understand these are alot of questions, but any and all help will be greatly greatly appreciated.

1. When you install 10.5.1, you MUST MAKE SURE THE DRIVE LABEL IS ONLY ONE WORD. I.E. "Untitled 1" will not work..."Computer" will work. This seems to be the reason the restart thing happens, as the OS can't access the boot information.

2. Make sure you're installing the correct video drivers. Do some research on this. Make sure only to check the necessary drivers when you're installing (by clicking the "customize" button on the 2nd to last info window during installation).

3. Read the forum, read the forum, read the forum...all of these answers are out there...check a hardware compatibility list also...