KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official)

kaly

2,627 posts in this topic

Unless something major has changed then no. I've been outta the loop for a year (deployment) but the OSX86 versions are hacked up pretty good to make sure the OS doesn't look for the Genuine Apple chip that's on board MAC motherboards among other things, even though it still would be good to own a copy for two reasons. 1) It's always good to support the hard work of the software engineers for a well made product and 2) Could save some legal liability incase they try and come after you for piracy

I have a legal copy of OS 10.5 and my OS 10.5.1 Hackintosh/VolksMac Dell Latitude D600 is Apple Branded with a very nice multi-coloured "Apple Computer" sticker (Old School style) next to the "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP" sticker. Since 1977, I have bought enough Mac hardware and software to open a store/museum. My next Mac will probably not be a real one, it will be an EFI WIntel one when they are available. Microsoft didn't get rich on selling hardware, only software which provided a huge revenue stream from licensing to OEM, businesses and individuals. Apple would be foolish wasting money on litigating individuals instead, S.J. should bite the bullet and do the Microsoft thing, license the Mac OS for use on non-Mac hardware before there are more WIntel boxes running the Mac OS than bonafide Apple boxes otherwise Apple will be in danger of resuming its previous position in the computer business.

hey Jarshvor

used both guid and mbr i formated the drive accordantly still no luck been 3 weeks of this ,

please help anyone everyone steve jobs

thanks

QUOTE(gd666gd1 @ Feb 5 2008, 08:34 AM) *

Sorry newbmac i will explain have installed mac os on the drive the boot loader appears to work. i get no error message just a reboot.

when i boot with -v (no dvd in drive)

i get this

loading darwin/x86

loading kernel mach_kernel

loading hfs+ file:[mach_kernel] from 422d2f0

loading hfs+ file:[mach_kernel] from 422d2f0

loaddrivers: loading from [/system/library/extensions.mkext]

loading hfs+ file:[/system/library/extensions.mkext]from 422d2f0

loading hfs+ file:[/system/library/extensions.mkext]from 422d2f0

efi enhanced bootloader build: toh

using smbios table found at 0x000f13e0

using acpi rsdp revision 2 found at 0x000f7b00

starting darwin/x86

then it reboots

so have installed it fine can't get it to boot

any idea thanks again

yeah, i also ahve this problem. Exactly the same text after -v command (xcept for some adresses: 422d500, 0x000f0be0, and mines revision 0 at 0x000f7010

but yeah all it does is reboot... did u use GUID or MBR formatting?

Hello everyone!

Just got this Kalyway install to work, pretty exciting!

Please tell me something. Is it okay to run "software updates"? I read about this and it appears that it is okay due to using kalyway's vanilla version. I am sorry if this has been answered, but I could not find it anywhere, if it has could you please send me the link to the answer. Or are only certain updates safe? I just didnt want to have issues after updating.

Also, has anyone else has any minor graphics glitches when running firefox? ie. two mouse cursors, etc.

Thanks for you time :D

Hi, tried to install 10.5.1 on my system (kalaway)

mainboard:p5nd2sli

ram:2gb

video:geforce 8400

cpu:pentium D 3.00 ghz

The first time when booting from the dvd, it reported that i needed to restart my computer.

the second time when booting from the dvd, the grahical apple logo appeared with the spinning circle, and after few times reading from the dvd, it stopped reading, and the logo and spinning circle, just sits there and nothing happens.

Also using the venilla kernel, does not work, it results in a reboot, not even a logo.

And just read somewhere in the forum, that Nforce chipset does not support EFI install method.. perhaps there lies the problem (KALWAY uses EFI v8)

any hints on how to install without EFI?

Can somebody give me some hints... or a solution?

tried 10.4.11 before, but that one did not see my HDD's...

Did you manage to install the 10.4 releases? and did it recognise the HDD??

But the 10.4 at least started the install (on usb drive)

Any help for me??

I Stock on "Still Waiting for Root Device"... :sorcerer: (when the SATA setting is in IDE)

if i choose AHCI, it doesn't even boot... will stock on cannot find : boot.com.apple.plist !!

I have a SATA DVD & SATA HDD... using Abit IP35-Pro (ICH9R)

any help will be appriciated...:huh:

i can go and buy leopard and install to my hp dv6000 ?

Unless something major has changed then no. I've been outta the loop for a year (deployment) but the OSX86 versions are hacked up pretty good to make sure the OS doesn't look for the Genuine Apple chip that's on board MAC motherboards among other things, even though it still would be good to own a copy for two reasons. 1) It's always good to support the hard work of the software engineers for a well made product and 2) Could save some legal liability incase they try and come after you for piracy

A few explanations can be found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...2493&st=840

It is a very interesting topic, and quite a few have asked about it.

I have a legal copy of OS 10.5 and my OS 10.5.1 Hackintosh/VolksMac Dell Latitude D600 is Apple Branded with a very nice multi-coloured "Apple Computer" sticker (Old School style) next to the "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP" sticker. Since 1977, I have bought enough Mac hardware and software to open a store/museum. My next Mac will probably not be a real one, it will be an EFI WIntel one when they are available. Microsoft didn't get rich on selling hardware, only software which provided a huge revenue stream from licensing to OEM, businesses and individuals. Apple would be foolish wasting money on litigating individuals instead, S.J. should bite the bullet and do the Microsoft thing, license the Mac OS for use on non-Mac hardware before there are more WIntel boxes running the Mac OS than bonafide Apple boxes otherwise Apple will be in danger of resuming its previous position in the computer business.

EFI Wintel? What is it and what are the benefits.? I have 3 legit macs as well, and trying this as a side project, eventhough the new Octo-Mac Pros cannot be compared with OSx86 builds...If you can, i'm very interested if you could elaborate more on how you're going to go about this, and what would you recommend for a build on an almost pure/perfect OS X system...look forward to reading it ;)

shuold this be in another thread, please let me know, my apologies in advance...

Hello everyone!

Just got this Kalyway install to work, pretty exciting!

Please tell me something. Is it okay to run "software updates"? I read about this and it appears that it is okay due to using kalyway's vanilla version. I am sorry if this has been answered, but I could not find it anywhere, if it has could you please send me the link to the answer. Or are only certain updates safe? I just didnt want to have issues after updating.

Also, has anyone else has any minor graphics glitches when running firefox? ie. two mouse cursors, etc.

Thanks for you time

It has been mentioned numerous times in this thread alone. Minor updates are safe. Bigger updates (10.5.2) will probably work too if you're running the vanilla kernel, but to be sure you should wait to see what kalyway says when it comes out.

SOMEBODY PLEASE PUT THIS IN THE FIRST POST

Ok so i have downloaded the kalyway_leo_10.5.1_intell_sse2_sse2.zip file and have unzipped it. what file is it i need to burn to DVD? there seem to be loads of files but unsure which one it is i need to install. any help would be great

The .iso file.

Any help for me??

I Stock on "Still Waiting for Root Device"... :) (when the SATA setting is in IDE)

if i choose AHCI, it doesn't even boot... will stock on cannot find : boot.com.apple.plist !!

I have a SATA DVD & SATA HDD... using Abit IP35-Pro (ICH9R)

any help will be appriciated... :D

The same problem for me... i choose AHCI on my jmicron and IDE burner... and nothing...boot.com.apple.plist error... 2 dvd's for nothing... pssssss any help???? in this release say '' compatible with all jmicron!!!''... all fake or what lol? ;)

Greetings!

Just a simple question. I'm trying to make a partition for leopard on my hard drive, but any way i try it, it just tells me that it cant unmount my drive. What's up with that? Installation doesnt proceed either and seems to be related to this problem.

The same problem for me... i choose AHCI on my jmicron and IDE burner... and nothing...boot.com.apple.plist error... 2 dvd's for nothing... pssssss any help???? in this release say '' compatible with all jmicron!!!''... all fake or what lol? :)

It has been said numerous times in this thread. Do not connect your DVD burner to the Jmicron for booting the DVD. The Jmicron works well but not for booting the Leo DVD.

I am currently using the Kalyway Tiger install and I would like some info before i install the Leo DVD over top of the current Tiger version.  I have the Intel 945GM Express Chipset on a Toshiba a200 with the GMA 950 graphics.  I looked at the HCL for 10.5.1 and it said that the GMA950 graphics are glitchy.  Is that true for the Kalyway DVD, or is it just in general when it was tested? I am just trying to find out if anyone else has the graphics glitch problem or is it just what could potentially happen? I would like to know before I download and install the kalyway leo dvd just to avoid problems of installing an upgrade of OS X.

Thanks

toshiba_mac24

You got it. Post 73 did the trick. I'll paste it here for other who have this issue. Thanks for the quick responce.

AHA!!! as it turns out the disk utility automatically makes a 200MB partition called EFI that is not shown in the graphic interface. upon playing with the fdisk in terminal i made the EFI partition the boot partition and BAM! everything works! well sort of. no more ./boot.plist error. now i'm getting a kernel panic but hell it's somewhere. much thanks to BlackCH and pilsator for the help. you guys rock. if anyone else is getting this problem the way i fixed it was opening terminal and using these commands

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk* (where * is the nujber of the hard disk)

update

f * (where * is the number of the efi partition)

w

q

(to find out which numbers to use in place of *'s)

diskutil list

well i tried that, and all i get after reboot is a white flashing cursor, why???

BTW, i read the mbr, and guid differences, but really i dont understand it fully, and it i want to use boot camp or windows / linux os later or both what do i choose?

well i tried that, and all i get after reboot is a white flashing cursor, why???

BTW, i read the mbr, and guid differences, but really i dont understand it fully, and it i want to use boot camp or windows / linux os later or both what do i choose?

If you want to boot Windows from the same drive you have to format it using MBR. You won't need Boot Camp for that.

The flashing cursor is a common problem, read the thread for solutions.

If you want to boot Windows from the same drive you have to format it using MBR. You won't need Boot Camp for that.

The flashing cursor is a common problem, read the thread for solutions.

well i went withe the mbr install, after install it boot but stays at the apple grey screen with the spiral and they is no hd activity and it just sits there for hours, what i would like to know is i have a ide hd and ide dvd drive, i dunno if its jmicon i dont even know what this thing is..a controller i suppose, so what i want to know since i cant get a os to boot into the gui and work is my hardware the wrong kind? by that i mean the ide and such, i know my board is ok, it works with the jas 10.4.x dvd, but no matter when i install it never finishes 100% it was just stop either past half way or with 4mins left, i have done the dvd check process that you can skip before the install it found no issues, so does that mean my burn is good??

I tried it several times:

with EFI GUID Bootloader... with EFI MBR Bootloader

with nvidia_laptop drivers (just this one.. no other drivers)

without nvidia_laptop driver

the only way i didnt try is NO Customized installation (no VANILLA KERNEL no ACPI FIX, NO BOOTLOADER) but this wont be a good decision right?!

Okey, lets see...

Do you install Leo on clean, do you wont use other OS with Leo?

If no, wen install start, in Disk Until, create partition with GUID parameters, how do this look on "search on this Forum".

After Install OS With EFI GUID, choose kernel, and your drivers without video! Video driver you must be install after Install OS.

And when you boot to install, press F8, and load install with parameters "vanilla", good luсk)

I'm about to finally give Leopard a go and have decided to start with Kalyways. One thing that slighly confusing is in the notes it says: Vanilla kernel and acpi vanilla (wit reboot fix and ps2 support) ( you must select both of them)

Now I have a Intel P4 with SSE3 and from what I understand there's no point using the vanilla kernal (or maybe I can't). So do I select one of these or do I ignore them.

Also what does it mean when it says: "you can try vanilla kernel at dvd boot ! just type vanilla after f8 !!!"

Firstly what does "try it" mean? Also if I want to use the vanilla kernal I thought you select the custom install options listed above?

Thanks for any help :D

can someone giveme a hand here,,

if i install the os x on my pc - how do i boot now,,

when i but from it it gives me a error! ""b0 error" and is not going anywhere

i have vista on 1 drive and i put the leo on other drive and both say active

one vista is on ide1--

and the leo is on ide2--

+dvd burner slave

video randeon x1300

can someone tell me what did i do wrong,,iknow that my installation of leo it was all the way,,ok! and then it restart,, then it did not want to go ,boot,,

,(after6hours of trying to figure out to install)

any help will apreciate,,

post-183430-1202363397_thumb.jpg

post-183430-1202363449_thumb.jpg

post-183430-1202363496_thumb.jpg

post-183430-1202363546_thumb.jpg

post-183430-1202363594_thumb.jpg

post-183430-1202363641_thumb.jpg

post-183430-1202363692_thumb.jpg

well i went withe the mbr install, after install it boot but stays at the apple grey screen with the spiral and they is no hd activity and it just sits there for hours, what i would like to know is i have a ide hd and ide dvd drive, i dunno if its jmicon i dont even know what this thing is..a controller i suppose, so what i want to know since i cant get a os to boot into the gui and work is my hardware the wrong kind? by that i mean the ide and such, i know my board is ok, it works with the jas 10.4.x dvd, but no matter when i install it never finishes 100% it was just stop either past half way or with 4mins left, i have done the dvd check process that you can skip before the install it found no issues, so does that mean my burn is good??

Maybe you should post your hardware specs?

I'm about to finally give Leopard a go and have decided to start with Kalyways. One thing that slighly confusing is in the notes it says: Vanilla kernel and acpi vanilla (wit reboot fix and ps2 support) ( you must select both of them)

Now I have a Intel P4 with SSE3 and from what I understand there's no point using the vanilla kernal (or maybe I can't). So do I select one of these or do I ignore them.

You either select both or neither.

Also what does it mean when it says: "you can try vanilla kernel at dvd boot ! just type vanilla after f8 !!!"

Firstly what does "try it" mean? Also if I want to use the vanilla kernal I thought you select the custom install options listed above?

Thanks for any help :(

When you boot the DVD, hit F8 quickly and you'll be able to enter boot options. If you type "vanilla" and then enter, the DVD will boot with the vanilla kernel, so you can test it and find out if it will work on your system. If so, select the vanilla options during the actual install, if not, don't select them.

Hi I'm trying out the Kalyway 10.5.1 on my Pentium 4 D 920 with an ECS P4M800 pro motherboard with 2 gig of ram and a 256mb Nvidia Fx 5700 video card. After a number of tries and after reading through the forums, I've got a few questions. I was able to run Leopard by formatting my 160 GB IDE hdd using MBR without adding any other options in the customize menu apart from ensuring that the bootloader is also MBR.

I was able to succesfully configure the NVinject drivers but after the initial boot-up, it worked but the mouse cursor was sluggish. I tried to restart but the screen froze and I did a soft reset. Since then, I'm stuck with the Apple logo screen. I included a snapshot of my screen here and that's where it's stuck at.

post-183401-1202396521_thumb.jpg

It would be nice to get my ethernet card to work which is a VIA® VT6103L 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY, according to the ECS website. I've read about the pinxue viarhine.kext solution. Can anyone tell me how to run command lines? It would be nice to be able to get my LAN working but I've read that getting a NIC card would do the trick. Any suggestions of which card to purchase?

FYI, my sound works but is choppy when playing a CD of mp3 files. I tried playing a DVD, but the DVD player program crashes upon launch. I also have a logitech web cam 5000 which was recognized but when I configured ichat, the video was very choppy. With the bugs in the system, likely because of the motherboard and CPU, I wonder if getting a core duo chip with a 945 chipset would make this a better experience.

I know I still have a while to go before I can make this system usable but it is an interesting foray into the mac world. I may consider building a hackintosh with Core duo chips and one of the better supported motherboards. But it was quite an effort to get the system to work and I'm still a little wary of the complexities of getting a hackintosh to work.

Again, thanks in advance to all your input and Kalyway, thanks for the DVD!